PDA

View Full Version : fit shaming

Kizzy
31-05-2014, 01:58 AM
Is this the new fat shaming?

It started with slating Gwinnie but now it's gotten serious, people actually seem to have a serious dislike for anyone who tries to live a healthy lifestyle and accuses them of making others feel bad, do you agree with them?

Mother of 3 :shock: Maria Kang was banned from facebook after complaints she was fat shaming due to her strapline 'what's your excuse?'
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUGs937nCwAbekuUcM8xl_wAfmZ2O8m ag7Dq1pB07VTxIhzWb7eg

But is it just jealousy as some can't get motivated to achieve the results maria has?

Amy Malloy in grazia writes,

‘I have a ritual whenever I go for a run. At the halfway mark, around six miles, I always stop to take a selfie. I’ve worked out the best angle to hold my iPhone to capture my flat stomach and my fluorescent trainers. I’ve even worked out the Instagram filter that makes me look glowing rather than sweaty, and makes my face looked tanned rather than bright red.

I post the photo on Instagram before setting off on the second leg of my run, although I’m not looking for praise. I do this for the same reason that fashion bloggers take a photograph of their outfits every day – because fitness is my passion and I want an online reminder of the moments that make me happy'

Is it fitspiration or fat shaming, why does the healthy lifestyles of some people cause so much controversy?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/fitness-fanatic-mum-sparks-controversy-2458072
http://www.graziadaily.co.uk/conversation/opinion/is-it-time-to-stop-the--fit-shaming-

armand.kay
31-05-2014, 02:00 AM
I don't see why this is an issue when she's sending a positive message.

Slevin
31-05-2014, 02:01 AM
some people are just dicks

Marsh.
31-05-2014, 02:15 AM
I thought fat shaming would be targeting someone specific and ridiculing them?

Having a slogan saying "what's your excuse?" doesn't do that? People will literally complain about anything nowadays.

Kizzy
31-05-2014, 02:26 AM
And the comments removed from facebook too, I can't believe that after some of the things FB seems to find acceptable :/
By succeeding in her health challenge and trying to inspire others she's now in the firing line it seems?

arista
31-05-2014, 03:11 AM
[bullying and "fat shaming" ]

Typical for America.

How else do you change that Nation
that has to many over eating

Kizzy
31-05-2014, 03:24 AM
It's here too I think, have you ever had a convo with anyone on 'eating clean'? they look at you like you're nuts! :laugh:

Slevin
31-05-2014, 04:15 AM
yea cause all happens in one country. they all have their faults.

Cherie
31-05-2014, 07:04 AM
And the comments removed from facebook too, I can't believe that after some of the things FB seems to find acceptable :/
By succeeding in her health challenge and trying to inspire others she's now in the firing line it seems?

You could be Mother Teresa on the net and still get abuse, it's a raison d'etre for some.

Kazanne
31-05-2014, 07:14 AM
I'm sure I saw something about this woman on TV a while back,people seemed to think she was looking down on women who had not lost their 'baby fat' etc and she gave the impression that anyone that didn't look like her was somehow inferior(that is not my view)just what came across on TV,It's really silly she has all this flak,as some of the stuff allowed on FB is so much worse,and if you talk to people about healthy ways of eating etc,some of them you look at you like a complete nut job.

LeatherTrumpet
31-05-2014, 07:22 AM
People are vain.

armand.kay
31-05-2014, 07:50 AM
Isn't it on facebook where that video of a woman having sex with a dog went viral?

lily.
31-05-2014, 08:03 AM
I'm not on facebook, but I use tumblr regularly and there are a lot of 'fitspiration' blogs there. I think it's great to be honest.. if you keep fit and are proud of your fitness achievements, then there's no reason not to share them on your blog.

If you don't want to keep fit, why would you read their page? This is the part I don't understand. People feel the need to complain about stuff they don't like. Why don't they just read something else? I don't like a lot of the stuff on the internet, therefore I don't read it. This culture of feigning offence and complaining about everything and everyone is quite tedious.

InOne
31-05-2014, 08:10 AM
Mumsnet will have a field day with this

MTVN
31-05-2014, 08:24 AM
Health and fitness freaks are very annoying

arista
31-05-2014, 08:34 AM
I'm sure I saw something about this woman on TV a while back,people seemed to think she was looking down on women who had not lost their 'baby fat' etc and she gave the impression that anyone that didn't look like her was somehow inferior(that is not my view)just what came across on TV,It's really silly she has all this flak,as some of the stuff allowed on FB is so much worse,and if you talk to people about healthy ways of eating etc,some of them you look at you like a complete nut job.

Yes she can look Cocky
but the point is
its a Positive Forward Step
for any that want to change and learn
as many are reading this and
are munching

Sign Of The Times

Jords
31-05-2014, 09:00 AM

Both opposites of the health + fitness spectum annoy me for differing reasons.

Slevin
31-05-2014, 09:15 AM
it just depends on the person really. as long as its not shoved down my throat.

Kizzy
31-05-2014, 04:52 PM
It seems so socially acceptable to be out of your head on booze or shovelling it down at a 'all you can eat', anyone who shows moderation or restraint is looked down on as if they are being a misery or not 'enjoying' themselves.

'Respondents were then asked about the negative effects they had experienced as a result of losing weight, revealing that over four fifths of people (81 per cent) had ‘lost friends’ during the course of their weight loss journey.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2633837/Shedding-weight-Prepare-wave-goodbye-friends-Dieters-lose-two-friends-stone-drop-jealousy.html

Kate!
31-05-2014, 05:22 PM
It seems so socially acceptable to be out of your head on booze or shovelling it down at a 'all you can eat', anyone who shows moderation or restraint is looked down on as if they are being a misery or not 'enjoying' themselves.

'Respondents were then asked about the negative effects they had experienced as a result of losing weight, revealing that over four fifths of people (81 per cent) had ‘lost friends’ during the course of their weight loss journey.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2633837/Shedding-weight-Prepare-wave-goodbye-friends-Dieters-lose-two-friends-stone-drop-jealousy.html

Totally agree with this, I gave drinking a rest completely approx 3 months back and gradually stopped eating junk. I now have 3 meals a day and I have had my first glass of wine since I gave up. That was on Thursday out for a meal with family, just one glass. Not drinking this weekend as I'm not going out anywhere and haven't got much spare dosh and I no longer feel the need.

I've had a great response on here, really positive and encouraging, but irl people have looked at me like I'm crackers so yeah I agree.

Shame, cos it's a good thing, I feel better now than I have in years.

Kazanne
31-05-2014, 05:38 PM

yes Kizzy some people can get extremely jealous at others who seem to better themselves,I say good on someone who changes their life for the better ,it can be hard sometimes to break an addiction so kudos to those that do.

Tom4784
31-05-2014, 05:47 PM
'Fat shaming' is ridiculous thing anyway because it's no one's fault but your own if you aren't in shape and you aren't willing to do anything about it.

The idea of fit shaming just makes me lose the will to live.

Me. I Am Salman
31-05-2014, 05:55 PM

Both opposites of the health + fitness spectum annoy me for differing reasons.