PDA

View Full Version : Laptops

Siouxsie
19-10-2006, 10:59 AM
HELP!
My son wants a laptop off santa. Can someone please give me some info on what kind to get. Bearing in mind he is only 12 so dont want anything too expensive. He mostle wants it to play games on but i would like it connected to the internet. Will i have to pay an extra monthly charge on top of my broadband payment ? Or is there a standard cost etc etc ?:shocked: Any info would be helpful. Thanks :flower:

Sophii3x
19-10-2006, 12:22 PM
umm well im saving up for a laptop and there is a good one in Dixons which is £399.99 with wiresless so you can connect it with the broadband you have already got

heres the link>> http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/store/dix_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1295781268.116126049 8@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccffaddjeeihkfgcflgceggdhhmdgmi.0&sku=433711&tabIndex=1&page=Product

BB-Rocks
19-10-2006, 12:36 PM
Ive got a laptop. Go into PC world and they'll help you out. DO NOT gop to Comet, they do not except refunds if anything goes wrong!

Also, you can get a connection that will allow you to connect your current internet to the laptop. So you can connect your internet from your computer to the laptop. My lead only cost me about £40-£50, which is great considering its about £20 a month for broadband and you could have ended up having to broadband boxes. You can get the connection lead from PC World too:tongue:

Sophii3x
19-10-2006, 01:17 PM
:O Really!

What about Dixons???

Lauren
19-10-2006, 05:33 PM
Best one I have seen for price is the Advent one for £399.99 in PC World. Can connect wirelessly and has great RAM (for games/surfing) and HDD. :thumbs:

Good luck!

Lance
19-10-2006, 05:37 PM
Hi Scooby!

PC World are very customer friendly.

I got mine through Dell. They're great for customising etc. But I'm guessing you just want something standard for your son. They do have really good deals in PC World, so keep your eyes open.:spin2:

You won't be paying for two internet connections. You may already have a wireless router with your curret broadband (BT provide this, for example) but some provider's don't provide wireless routers with their Broadband. So, you'll have to purchase a wireless router. You can get some cheap one's in PC World. It's just a once-off payment, and once you buy it you just set it up and use the internet on your PC and laptop.

Make sure the laptop is able to connect wirelessly before you buy it, although, most new laptops are.

Hope that helps.:wink:

Ruth*Star
19-10-2006, 05:38 PM
I have one, its a Toshiba one, its Connected to the internet. it costed £450, i spent 4 months saving up for it. and there is no extra costs, but affter its bought, you'll need a router and a card for it.

Siouxsie
19-10-2006, 08:33 PM
so can they all play games ?

Princess
19-10-2006, 08:35 PM
Wow!!! Those are well cheap!! I can't really help actually mine cost over a grand......

BB-Rocks
19-10-2006, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Princess
Wow!!! Those are well cheap!! I can't really help actually mine cost over a grand...... #

Honestly! Mines was £900. its a cracker though and i love it!

Princess
19-10-2006, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by BB-Rocks
Originally posted by Princess
Wow!!! Those are well cheap!! I can't really help actually mine cost over a grand...... #

Honestly! Mines was £900. its a cracker though and i love it!

Yeah but this is euro don't forget! I love mine though I couldn't survive without it. It has amazing memory!

x-heather-x
19-10-2006, 08:49 PM
im gettin a laptop for xmas. my mum was lookin everywhere but ill warn her bout Comet:xyxwave:

Siouxsie
19-10-2006, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Lance
Hi Scooby!

PC World are very customer friendly.

I got mine through Dell. They're great for customising etc. But I'm guessing you just want something standard for your son. They do have really good deals in PC World, so keep your eyes open.:spin2:

You won't be paying for two internet connections. You may already have a wireless router with your curret broadband

(BT provide this, for example) but some provider's don't

provide wireless routers with their Broadband. So, you'll have to purchase a wireless router. You can get some cheap one's in PC World. It's just a once-off payment, and once you buy it you just set it up and use the internet on your PC and laptop.

Make sure the laptop is able to connect wirelessly before you buy it, although, most new laptops are.

Hope that helps.:wink: thats great lance but can he play games on it as well ???

Siouxsie
19-10-2006, 09:33 PM
I cant afford a grand princess :sad: i just want one that he can play his games and internet connection

Dan_
19-10-2006, 09:37 PM
My old basic laptop plays most games on it so I don't think he'd have a problem playing games on a newer model.

Siouxsie
19-10-2006, 09:41 PM
my son wants to be able to play strategy games ?????

Ruth*Star
19-10-2006, 10:18 PM
i put the sims two on my laptop, it ran slow but it worked, i think the games will work.

Siouxsie
20-10-2006, 08:08 AM
Thanks for all your comments and ideas