PDA

View Full Version : Applications double for Pop Idol 2

Kaz
07-02-2003, 01:12 PM
Story from Ananova

Will Young and Gareth Gates's chart success has prompted double the number of applications for the second series of Pop Idol.

Already 20,000 people have made their bid for stardom and show chiefs are hoping to give them all an audition.

About 10,000 applied for the first series, which has so far spawned three chart-topping acts.

As well as Will and Gareth, third placed Darius Danesh has also achieved a number one hit, while others from the show - Sarah Whatmore, Rosie Ribbons, Zoe Birkett and Rik Waller - have also had hits.

The series was a huge hit with viewers as more than 14 million people tuned in to see Will Young's victory over Gareth Gates a year ago on Sunday.

Programme-maker Thames TV said that wannabes had only until February 28 to send in applications for Pop Idol II.

A spokeswoman said: "Everyone who applied for the first series had an audition and we're hoping to do the same again. We will have to see if we can accommodate them all when the closing date passes."

Auditions will take place from the end of May through to July in Glasgow, Manchester and London.

The ITV1 show, which is due to go on air in late summer, will again be hosted by Ant and Dec.

The show has become a global phenomenon and made its creator, Simon Fuller, one of the wealthiest men in the media.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hmmmmm . . . . . . I'm not at all sure about having a Pop Idol 2. Surely the nation's Pop Idol has already been discovered - and what a star he is!! :love:).

The public's interest in these types of programmes also appears to be waning - far less watched Fame Academy and Popstars the Rivals.

And, as I've said before, all that's happening now is the same faces are appearing in all the programmes - undeterred from failure in previous shows. They should either forget the idea completely, or give it a few years until some fresh new talent has had time to emerge.

That's my view anyway! Do you agree? :spin2:

WILDCHILD
07-02-2003, 02:21 PM
I can see where you are coming from Kaz -Fame Academy and Popstars really wasnt as popular...BUT, I feel Pop Idol is very different. Theres something about it that made the nation gripped - campaigns were going around for the final 2!!
I think Pop Idol is the mama of all reality tv shows creating musicians and I have no doubt in my mind that Pop Idol will be just as popular this year, dont know about more though because you just couldn't beat the Will and Gareth competition.:flower::dazzler::flower:

BigSister
07-02-2003, 02:42 PM
I agree that Pop idol 2 should be good

I cant wait for it:thumbs:

James
07-02-2003, 08:22 PM
I'll be disappointed if they don't introduce a songwriting element into Pop Idol this year.

Fame Academy raised the bar of what should be expected from these shows. I don't think the public want to see another manufactured popstar.

Not that I'm saying that anyone discovered by Pop Idol last year was that, of course.

:hugesmile: