PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever had an endoscopy?

Vicky.
13-12-2014, 02:00 PM
I have to get one on Wednesday because the doctor reckons I must be bleeding in my stomach as I am severely aneamic suddenly for no reason

I am totally ****ting myself tbh. I thought that it would be a camera on a thin wire, which I think I could handle, BUT gavin got one yesterday and he says its like a hose D: You would think with the modern technology and that they could use a smaller thing than that

So anyway, apparently I dont have the option of general anesthetic but I can chose something called 'conscious sedation', which from looking around seems to be I will be awake, but I am unlikely to remember anything..which sounds alright BUT what if I do remember, and also the thought of having it done in the first place even if I dont remember is freaking me out so much

I have a massive phobia of vomit, and I imagine that during this I will just be constantly gagging and that

I am also worried that if I am awake and they are shoving a hose down my throat, I may end up punching the doctor or something :/

Basically, if anyones had this, is it as bad as it sounds? :umm2:

arista
13-12-2014, 02:10 PM
I have to get one on Wednesday because the doctor reckons I must be bleeding in my stomach as I am severely aneamic suddenly for no reason

I am totally ****ting myself tbh. I thought that it would be a camera on a thin wire, which I think I could handle, BUT gavin got one yesterday and he says its like a hose D: You would think with the modern technology and that they could use a smaller thing than that

So anyway, apparently I dont have the option of general anesthetic but I can chose something called 'conscious sedation', which from looking around seems to be I will be awake, but I am unlikely to remember anything..which sounds alright BUT what if I do remember, and also the thought of having it done in the first place even if I dont remember is freaking me out so much

I have a massive phobia of vomit, and I imagine that during this I will just be constantly gagging and that

I am also worried that if I am awake and they are shoving a hose down my throat, I may end up punching the doctor or something :/

Yes I had one
it not as bad as it sounds
you feel it but it smooth
they know how to do it.
they had a good look
and I got a all clear.

It must be done
and its safe

Yes you are awake
but its a Life Saver

Vicky.
13-12-2014, 02:23 PM
I was totally fine with the idea until Gavin told me how thick the tube was..sounds like he had a REALLY bad time of it too. He says he was shouting at them to stop and they wouldnt..even though it says on my leaflet that if you tell them to stop they have to. Glad Im going to a different hospital to him :S

arista
13-12-2014, 02:34 PM
I was totally fine with the idea until Gavin told me how thick the tube was..sounds like he had a REALLY bad time of it too. He says he was shouting at them to stop and they wouldnt..even though it says on my leaflet that if you tell them to stop they have to. Glad Im going to a different hospital to him :S

Yes as lady they will go slow
and stop at times
then go on.

Have you seen the Film Total Recal
you must relax about it
think of how happy your kids are

It is a life saver

arista
13-12-2014, 02:36 PM
http://www.therpf.com/attachments/f9/total-recall-nose-bug-extractor-device-10-greatest-gross-out-moments-90s-00-420-75.jpg-31257d1281149521

Its nothing like this

Delete this if the picture is to much

AnnieK
13-12-2014, 02:41 PM
I've not had an endoscopy but I have had conscious sedation and although I remember telling them what they were doing was hurting but I don't actually remember the pain if that makes sense.

Hope it goes ok

T*
13-12-2014, 02:44 PM
EDIT: Wrong thread i'm so sorry :blush2:

T*
13-12-2014, 02:47 PM
Just chill and see how it goes

Vicky.
13-12-2014, 02:55 PM
http://www.therpf.com/attachments/f9/total-recall-nose-bug-extractor-device-10-greatest-gross-out-moments-90s-00-420-75.jpg-31257d1281149521

Its nothing like this

Delete this if the picture is to much

LOL. They arent going through my nose. Though I would probably rather they did D:

mizzy25
13-12-2014, 03:23 PM
Ive not had that but Ive had the other end is it a colonscopy? twice. The 1st time they cud have put a friggen hot iron up me backside I just wanted to know wot was wrong with me and cud they make the pains/runs stop? That was a bit odd and I kept feeling like I wanted the loo, but I didn't really feel anything major. The 2nd one was a more intense one where u get an anesthetic but your not asleep, no matter what they say u r not asleep. Now they have bother finding veins for me even for blood taken, so they ended up with a needle in my hand to make me drowsy or wotever its supposed to do, anyway theres a bloody tv screen u can watch it all on....why anyone wud want to do this is beyond me!!! Anyway as far as I know its a very thin wire with a tiny camera thing on the end, however halfway into this one I cud feel everything I just said I can feel it, the dr said do u want me to stop? I said yes and they did asap. So if you cant cope with it make sure u tell them beforehand if u want them to stop u will put your right hand up, or something like that, my old dentist used to say that when he was taking teeth out or wotever, its quite comforting. Im sure u will be fine and @ the end of the day u will find out wots wrong and that's the most important thing.

Creggle
13-12-2014, 03:36 PM
Just Googled it and my lord... I'd rather have a tube up my nob than down my throat. :bawling:

Ask to be sedated! As it is an invasive procedure, I think they have to if you ask them.

Good luck :(

Vicky.
13-12-2014, 03:50 PM
I would rather have it up the other end mizzy I think :laugh:

I know it needs to be done and I just need to get on with it, but I am really freaking out at the thought of all the gagging...

Creggle they have offered sedation but I have to be awake too as apparently they will be telling me things to do D:

Braden
13-12-2014, 03:52 PM
I've never had one but I imagine they're not as scary as they seem?

Just remember that it's mind over matter. You're in safe hands. :)

arista
13-12-2014, 04:42 PM
I would rather have it up the other end mizzy I think :laugh:

I know it needs to be done and I just need to get on with it, but I am really freaking out at the thought of all the gagging...

Creggle they have offered sedation but I have to be awake too as apparently they will be telling me things to do D:

I am sure it will go OK

I think this thread will be help to others

Also this thread would be good under our new Health section

Vicky.
13-12-2014, 04:46 PM
I am sure it will go OK

I think this thread will be help to others

Also this thread would be good under our new Health section

:thumbs:

mizzy25
13-12-2014, 04:52 PM
Yes you have to be awake but u will be in a drowsy state and absoltuly shattered afterwards, believe me its just as awful up your backside coz u feel like u want to go to the loo even though that's impossible coz u get rid of everything b4 lol

Ithinkiloveyoutoo
13-12-2014, 04:54 PM
Never had one but i've come to find that things aren't usually as bad as they sound. Just relax and make sure you trust the docs.

Cherie
13-12-2014, 05:36 PM
Disregard Gavin! Not had it done but my sister in law has had it a few topimes and she says its fine!

Vicky.
14-12-2014, 10:28 AM
Disregard Gavin! Not had it done but my sister in law has had it a few topimes and she says its fine!

I was going to until I searched google and found loadsa people saying the same D:

I know google is a bad way to go for medical things though as people tend to exaggerate which is why I thought it best to ask here instead :laugh: I feel slightly better about it now..but unless this sedation is very strong, I cant see myself going through with this at all

thesheriff443
14-12-2014, 10:36 AM
I was going to until I searched google and found loadsa people saying the same D:

I know google is a bad way to go for medical things though as people tend to exaggerate which is why I thought it best to ask here instead :laugh: I feel slightly better about it now..but unless this sedation is very strong, I cant see myself going through with this at all

you have to have it done, if you have a major bleed in your stomach it can kill you in your sleep, you have kids to think about, so get it done.

Vicky.
14-12-2014, 10:44 AM
I keep thinking though, if I had a bleed in my stomach surely I would have some kinda symptoms...at least a slightly bad tummy or something :S

I know its gunna have to be done...I just cant see me tolerating 10 mins of nonstop gagging. I know I have to try, but worried that instincts will take over and I will rip the camera out or something. Maybe they will give me a double dose of sedation if I tell them what I have said in here...

Kizzy
14-12-2014, 10:55 AM
Have you seen any blood in your stool and given a stool sample? What bloods have you had taken vicky?
I've had a colonoscopy, it was pretty grim but quick. Try not to get too stressed about it and build yourself into a panic :hug:

Vicky.
14-12-2014, 10:58 AM
Nope no blood in my crap. Have had endless bloods taken, not sure what for tbh. Though they must have been checking for iron levels and vitamin b12 as they told me iron was dangerously low and b12 was low and might need a jab (though b12 sorted itself out by next blood test) not sure what else they were testing for but in the past 6 weeks I have had about 20 tubes taken from me. Then 6 in one go a few days back...

The bleeding in stomach is just a guess from GP tbh, because he cant think of any reason why someone my age would be so aneamic..especially when I love my red meats and such. I am more aneamic now than I was when I was pregnant with Skye. AQnd its just come on really suddenly. I started going dizzy everytime I stood up so got checked at docs as I thought it might be blood pressure, and this is whats come back :S

Kizzy
14-12-2014, 11:24 AM
You would've thought that if you had any internal bleed it would be shown as a black stool. Anything could cause a degree of malabsorption if you're not retaining the iron in food. Take my advice and stay away from google stop frightening yourself, I've done it myself trust me :laugh:
One thing I will say is if you're taking any painkillers, stop, the problem I have was made much worse by ibuprofen.

Vicky.
14-12-2014, 11:33 AM
I cant stop my painkillers D: I actually really need them at the minute as without them I am in absolute agony. I'm not on codeine or anything though because it seems I build a tolerance to those quickly, they changed me to nefopam

And I do have black poos actually (tmi :joker: ) but I put that down to the iron tablets I'm taking

RichardG
14-12-2014, 11:38 AM
I had to have a bronchoscopy a few weeks ago

I'll be honest, there was one moment in the middle when the sedation stopped working and I woke up which was a bit horrific but then again I had the camera and wires in my lungs blocking all my airways so it's probably a different experience to having it in the stomach. :laugh:

That being said it was a 45 minute procedure and that's the only thing I remember. If you have a brief moment too when the sedation stops working then they give you more straight away so 5 seconds later you're out of it again, it wasn't as completely horrific as I was expecting it to be.

Vicky.
14-12-2014, 11:52 AM
I had to have a bronchoscopy a few weeks ago

I'll be honest, there was one moment in the middle when the sedation stopped working and I woke up which was a bit horrific but then again I had the camera and wires in my lungs blocking all my airways so it's probably a different experience to having it in the stomach. :laugh:

That being said it was a 45 minute procedure and that's the only thing I remember. If you have a brief moment too when the sedation stops working then they give you more straight away so 5 seconds later you're out of it again, it wasn't as completely horrific as I was expecting it to be.

Ah thats good to know. Do they check that its worked properly before starting too? I keep having visions of seeming out of it but being completely conscious through it :laugh:

RichardG
14-12-2014, 12:16 PM
Yeah they do. The last thing I remember was having the sedation at the start and then literally a couple of seconds after that my memory of it goes blank. It's strange because I know I was technically awake throughout the whole thing but I honestly can't remember anything other than that brief 5 second moment in the middle. My doctor said I was really annoying and kept whacking him in the face intermittently throughout the whole thing and I feel like I should surely remember doing that :laugh: but he said a lot of patients do so no worries there.

I've never had a camera in my stomach but if that procedure is anything like my bronchoscopy then you'll probably experience some discomfort every now and then but honestly the worst part for me was worrying about it beforehand. I was back at home a couple of hours after it had finished!

Kizzy
14-12-2014, 01:17 PM
I cant stop my painkillers D: I actually really need them at the minute as without them I am in absolute agony. I'm not on codeine or anything though because it seems I build a tolerance to those quickly, they changed me to nefopam

And I do have black poos actually (tmi :joker: ) but I put that down to the iron tablets I'm taking

Where did you get the iron tablets? I'm surprised they gave you them as it would mess up any further investigations I would have thought.
Maybe the fainty feeling could be the nefopam, do you get much acid reflux?

Vicky.
14-12-2014, 01:28 PM
Where did you get the iron tablets? I'm surprised they gave you them as it would mess up any further investigations I would have thought.
Maybe the fainty feeling could be the nefopam, do you get much acid reflux?

GP gave me them

No acid reflux.. dont think nefopam is making me feel faint because it started before I was on it..

Kizzy
14-12-2014, 09:47 PM
GP gave me them

No acid reflux.. dont think nefopam is making me feel faint because it started before I was on it..

Ah right, that's good then you should start to feel better once your iron builds up.
And no acid reflux means you're less likely to have an ulcer I guess.

Marsh.
14-12-2014, 09:58 PM
Are you not used to thick ones Vicky? :hehe:

joeysteele
14-12-2014, 10:06 PM
Vicky, I have never had one but heard a lot of varying stroies as to them from others.

The important thing is that you tell them right off and when you go to have it done that you are really nervous and worried about it.
It is odd that some people don't tell them but I have heard once they know you are 'over worried and anxious' as to it and they have the full knowledge of how you are feeling they do all they can to reassure you.

Good luck and I hope all turns out really well for you.

Vicky.
14-12-2014, 10:09 PM
Ah right, that's good then you should start to feel better once your iron builds up.
And no acid reflux means you're less likely to have an ulcer I guess.
Well this is part of why I have to have this actually...as the tablets dont appear to be making any difference. They raised my levels by 0.2% or something the doc said, which for 1 week of taking them 3 times a day is nowhere near good enough. He was hoping the tablets alone would sort me out but it doesnt seem that way...I suppose its better to find out the cause than live on iron tablets for the rest of my life though.

Are you not used to thick ones Vicky? :hehe:
I'm surprised it took this long. I am disappointed

Vicky, I have never had one but heard a lot of varying stroies as to them from others.

The important thing is that you tell them right off and when you go to have it done that you are really nervous and worried about it.
It is odd that some people don't tell them but I have heard once they know you are 'over worried and anxious' as to it and they have the full knowledge of how you are feeling they do all they can to reassure you.

Good luck and I hope all turns out really well for you.
Definitely plan on doing this, in the hope they will give me enough sedation to floor a horse :laugh:

Kizzy
14-12-2014, 10:41 PM
I didn't think 0.2% was too bad for a week, best to raise it gradual?
Having the endoscopy is better than living on painkillers too hope you're pill free soon :)

Marsh.
14-12-2014, 10:43 PM
I'm surprised it took this long. I am disappointed

So was I. I was scrolling through looking forward to it. :fist:

Vicky.
14-12-2014, 10:50 PM
I didn't think 0.2% was too bad for a week, best to raise it gradual?
Having the endoscopy is better than living on painkillers too hope you're pill free soon :)

The painkillers arent for this

They have no idea still whats causing the rib pain (which is what most of my tablets are for) :( Have had a scan that showed nothing, had an xray on my spine last week which I should get the results of soon. If that shows nothing they are going to check my liver.though quite how my liver could cause pain in my ribs is beyond me D:

Kizzy
14-12-2014, 11:33 PM
The painkillers arent for this

They have no idea still whats causing the rib pain (which is what most of my tablets are for) :( Have had a scan that showed nothing, had an xray on my spine last week which I should get the results of soon. If that shows nothing they are going to check my liver.though quite how my liver could cause pain in my ribs is beyond me D:

it can, that's where I feel my pain bottom of my ribs at the right hand side :( Have they looked at your gall bladder?

Vicky.
14-12-2014, 11:45 PM
it can, that's where I feel my pain bottom of my ribs at the right hand side :( Have they looked at your gall bladder?

Nope.

Pain is kinda halfway up my ribcage on the right hand side, pretty much below my armpit.

It has them baffled. They diagnosed costochondritus when it first happened and have stuck with that for years until a few months ago, when they decided that costo affects the breastbone not the ribcage :facepalm:

Kizzy
14-12-2014, 11:50 PM
Your armpit... how are they going to get a good look at that with an endoscopy? :/

Vicky.
14-12-2014, 11:55 PM
LOL. I have multiple problems at the minute.

The endoscopy is because of my aneamia coz they cant find a reason for it

Xrays have been about ribs...painkillers for ribs

Apparently I have PND too

So yeah..I think James broke me :laugh:

Kizzy
15-12-2014, 12:19 AM
LOL. I have multiple problems at the minute.

The endoscopy is because of my aneamia coz they cant find a reason for it

Xrays have been about ribs...painkillers for ribs

Apparently I have PND too

So yeah..I think James broke me :laugh:

Haha! that's lads for you, I have a lot of inflammation so that causes rib pain. I have to sort my diet to counter it really, after crimbo I will.

Vicky.
17-12-2014, 03:46 PM
Well this wasnt as traumatic as I thought it would be.

They gave me a double dose of sedation like I asked...and it did absolutely nothing really, except my memories of it all are a bit hazy but I do still remember it. The throat spray wore off after a few mins too...quite sure it wore off before they even put the tube in actually :facepalm:

They didnt find anything either..so in a way it was useless but its good to know I dont have any problems. Now juts gotta find out where its all coming from :laugh:

Kizzy
18-12-2014, 09:58 AM
Pleased it wasn't as traumatic as you were expecting vicky, wonder what they'll try next to work out why you're in pain.

Kizzy
27-12-2014, 12:27 PM
Hey vicky guess what I'm having on the 2nd?..... I'm blaming you. :laugh:

Vicky.
27-12-2014, 02:44 PM
Oh dear, sorry :laugh:

Kizzy
02-01-2015, 11:21 AM
It's at 3pm can you virtually hold my hand? :eek:

daniel-lewis-1985
04-01-2015, 06:13 PM

We both had this done the same day....Freaky.

How did it go? I found it better than having a camera shove up my pooper. Ah the pleasures of getting older.

Whats these posts about codeine causing stomach problems the doc has me on codeine to treat my symptoms :/ strange.

Vicky.
04-01-2015, 07:33 PM
It was horrific. I think I would have rather had it up the ass tbh.

I dont think I would have found it so bad though if not for my irrational fear of vomiting...mind the sedation was crap so you arent missing out..I had 2 doses and literally all it did was make me forget parts of it. The throat spray wore off before the hose sized thing even approached my mouth :(

Codeine just makes most people constipated I think. They tested me for bleeding in the stomach because I was on naproxen for a while, which is basically a stronger version of ibuprofen...and I was taking it on an empty stomach. Apparently it can rip your insides apart if you do that D:

Kizzy
04-01-2015, 07:38 PM
I thought I'd been in for 5 mins and laughed at my daughter saying' bet you thought I'd be ages?' she said ' mum, you've been in there an hour.... :laugh:
Have you had a your liver function tested vicky?

Vicky.
04-01-2015, 08:17 PM
Nope, but apparently at some point they are checking my liver

I have a stomach scan at some point this week (this reminds me I need to find the letter) which I see as a bit pointless given that they have been inside my stomach with a camera...surely an ultrasound wont show anything that a camera actually there didnt :laugh:

Kizzy
04-01-2015, 08:25 PM
Ask the doc to ask them to check it during the ultrasound on your stomach maybe, they did my gall, liver and kidneys together.
Liver function test (LFT) is a quick blood test, surprised they haven't done it already how are you feeling atm any better?

Vicky.
04-01-2015, 08:34 PM
Oh they might have done then..they have taken no end of bloods from me and I have no idea what for :laugh: They have stuck me on vitamin A aswell as iron due to last bloods...

And not really, but I'm kinda getting used to the pain now so it doesn't seem quite as bad, if that makes sense

Cherie
04-01-2015, 08:38 PM
Jeez Vicky and Kizzy you have had every test known to man between you both, only ebola left :laugh:

Kizzy
04-01-2015, 09:22 PM
Jeez Vicky and Kizzy you have had every test known to man between you both, only ebola left :laugh:

Don't frigging jinx me cherie! :laugh:

Aw I know what you mean vicky, you get used to just feeling pants all the time :( we'll get sorted nay worries :hug:

daniel-lewis-1985
05-01-2015, 05:53 PM
Don't frigging jinx me cherie! :laugh:

Aw I know what you mean vicky, you get used to just feeling pants all the time :( we'll get sorted nay worries :hug:

I think we should all turn to drugs to mask the situation....I hear Crack feels quite nice?

Kizzy
05-01-2015, 09:41 PM
I think we should all turn to drugs to mask the situation....I hear Crack feels quite nice?

Is it gluten free?... :laugh: