PDA

View Full Version : Vitamins & Mineral Supplements

Josy
08-03-2015, 04:32 PM
Do you take any Vitamins and/or Mineral Supplements?

If so what do you take?

T*
08-03-2015, 04:37 PM
sometimes i have AB&C

Fetch The Bolt Cutters
08-03-2015, 04:42 PM
D

ZrUIx_lVFQo

Loukas
08-03-2015, 04:44 PM
MegaRed
Berocca when i'm hungover :laugh:

Kizzy
08-03-2015, 04:53 PM
Milk thistle and vit D

arista
08-03-2015, 04:55 PM
Korean Ginseng
gets you Rock Hard

rubymoo
08-03-2015, 05:09 PM
Cod liver oil plus a multi vitamin tablet
Blue green algae capsule
Milk Thistle
Acidophilus plus
Evening Primrose
And a Vitamin C and Zinc pastille

Like Kirk i eat a lot of garlic dishes so have stopped taking garlic supplements.

(I also have a glass of red wine or dark chocolate (green and blacks) as their chocolate hasn't been dutched!)

hijaxers
08-03-2015, 05:18 PM
Milk Thistle
Vit D
Vit B
5 HTP
Acidophillus
Omega Fish Oil

Cherie
08-03-2015, 06:06 PM
Cod liver oil plus a multi vitamin tablet
Blue green algae capsule
Milk Thistle
Acidophilus plus
Evening Primrose
And a Vitamin C and Zinc pastille

Like Kirk i eat a lot of garlic dishes so have stopped taking garlic supplements.

(I also have a glass of red wine or dark chocolate (green and blacks) as their chocolate hasn't been dutched!)

:worry: I don't take anything, with the exception of Vit C and the multivitamin what do the rest do Ruby

Kizzy
08-03-2015, 07:06 PM
I used to have kefir, but I killed it :(

JoshBB
08-03-2015, 07:21 PM
none, honestly I didn't realise it was the norm to take so many?

AnnieK
08-03-2015, 07:24 PM
Glucosamine.....stops my knees creaking embarrassingly when I work out.

LeatherTrumpet
08-03-2015, 07:40 PM
pretty much all of them have zero science behind them. You are really just taking them based on marketing, ie being hoodwinked

vitamins have been almost wholly debunked now

even fish oil etc

LeatherTrumpet
08-03-2015, 07:40 PM
oh and none

rubymoo
08-03-2015, 08:06 PM
:worry: I don't take anything, with the exception of Vit C and the multivitamin what do the rest do Ruby

Hi Cherie:wavey:

Cod liver - Joints
Multi Vitamins - to make sure i get what i need!
Acidophilus - Good bacteria (i suffer with reflux and have had immunity issues so hopefully these help)
Milk Thistle - gives liver support
Blue Green Algae - to fight inflammation, b vits, antioxidant
Evening primrose - pms, endometriosis
Vit C and Zinc pastille to boost immunity.

I've suffered with chronic fatigue and gluten sensitivity for years and have bouts of inflammation, as well as past endometriosis. My cholesterol is on the high side some of the above can reduce cholesterol.

I suspect my immunity is low after years of insomnia, and suffer health anxiety.

I honestly don't know if they are working, i will let you know in 6 months!

Sometimes i can walk miles and then other times i can barely walk a block!

Drs are useless though, that's why i'm trying vitamin and mineral supplements.:wavey:

LeatherTrumpet
08-03-2015, 08:08 PM
marketing

rubymoo
08-03-2015, 08:10 PM
marketing

I'm sure some of it is LT but even if it acts as a placebo, then i'm still onto a winner:laugh:

The red wine and chocolate have been proven though:hehe:

LeatherTrumpet
08-03-2015, 08:11 PM
I'm sure some of it is LT but even if it acts as a placebo, then i'm still onto a winner:laugh:

The red wine and chocolate have been proven though:hehe:

I take whisky for most of my ailments and so far its been very positive

:spin:

rubymoo
08-03-2015, 08:13 PM
I take whisky for most of my ailments and so far its been very positive

:spin:

:laugh:

Samm
08-03-2015, 08:13 PM
none, honestly I didn't realise it was the norm to take so many?

Same, why do people even take em

LeatherTrumpet
08-03-2015, 09:06 PM
Ask yourself

Where is my evidence?

If its anecdotal or from a label

Kizzy
08-03-2015, 09:07 PM

Cod liver - Joints
Acidophilus - Good bacteria (i suffer with reflux and have had immunity issues so hopefully these help)

I've suffered with chronic fatigue and gluten sensitivity for years and have bouts of inflammation, as well as past endometriosis. My cholesterol is on the high side some of the above can reduce cholesterol.

I suspect my immunity is low after years of insomnia, and suffer health anxiety.

Drs are useless though, that's why i'm trying vitamin and mineral supplements.:wavey:

This is what I'm having checked atm, those blue green algea sound good I'm going to look into those thanks :)

joeysteele
08-03-2015, 09:07 PM
None, up to now anyway.

Cherie
08-03-2015, 09:10 PM

Cod liver - Joints

Thanks! hope they work, my problem would be remembering to take them all Ruby x

Josy
09-03-2015, 07:38 AM
Ask yourself

Where is my evidence?

If its anecdotal or from a label

Lots of vitamins have been investigated and actually are proven to work.

Vitamin deficiencies in some people can be extremely dangerous, some people can't absorb as much vitamins and minerals into the body as others due to certain illnesses or allergies (I have a citrus allergy so take vit c) others are not getting enough into the body due poor diet or to being vegetarian and not consuming enough animal product etc.

B deficiencies have been tested and linked to chronic fatigue, severe anaemia, Alzheimer's, skin conditions and lots more. (you know your Lunulas (halfmoons) on your fingernails? if they are gone then theres a good chance you have a B vitamin deficiency)

Vitamin C is great for repairing tissue in the body, skin disorders, healthy bones and teeth and so on.

Vitamin D which has already had it's daily recommendation raised by the Institute of Medicine is well documented in protecting bones and helps people with illnesses such as osteoporosis and similar.

These are just small examples.

Just because it's something you don't understand doesn't mean it's a placebo.

And most vitamins are used by the body as needed then the rest is disposed of safely anyway so there's no real harm in taking what you think you need.

You just keep enjoying your whiskies and let others do what they feel is best for them. Hey maybe you should get some vitamin C into you to help out your poor liver :idc:

LeatherTrumpet
09-03-2015, 07:44 AM
Lots of vitamins have been investigated and actually are proven to work.

Vitamin deficiencies in some people can be extremely dangerous, some people can't absorb as much vitamins and minerals into the body as others due to certain illnesses or allergies (I have a citrus allergy so take vit c) others are not getting enough into the body due poor diet or to being vegetarian and not consuming enough animal product etc.

B deficiencies have been tested and linked to chronic fatigue, severe anaemia, Alzheimer's, skin conditions and lots more. (you know your Lunulas (halfmoons) on your fingernails? if they are gone then theres a good chance you have a B vitamin deficiency)

Vitamin C is great for repairing tissue in the body, skin disorders, healthy bones and teeth and so on.

Vitamin D which has already had it's daily recommendation raised by the Institute of Medicine is well documented in protecting bones and helps people with illnesses such as osteoporosis and similar.

These are just small examples.

Just because it's something you don't understand doesn't mean it's a placebo.

And most vitamins are used by the body as needed then the rest is disposed of safely anyway so there's no real harm in taking what you think you need.

You just keep enjoying your whiskies and let others do what they feel is best for them. Hey maybe you should get some vitamin C into you to help out your poor liver :idc:

http://www.livescience.com/42001-case-is-closed-multivitamins-are-a-waste-of-money-doctors-say.html

a balanced diet and time outdoors provides all the vitamins a normal person needs

Josy
09-03-2015, 07:47 AM
http://www.livescience.com/42001-case-is-closed-multivitamins-are-a-waste-of-money-doctors-say.html

Very good. A link that says 'some physicians'

For every study you find that is negative about them there is plenty more that are positive and have been proven to work.

However, I think I would prefer to take the advice of my doctor and blood work results to a randomly linked article on the internet anyday.

Edited to respond to your edit..

You have now changed your tune, of course a 'normal' person with no deficiencies or illness/reasons to need vitamins doesn't need to take them but...that's not what you first said is it.

LeatherTrumpet
09-03-2015, 08:15 AM
Very good. A link that says 'some physicians'

For every study you find that is negative about them there is plenty more that are positive and have been proven to work.

However, I think I would prefer to take the advice of my doctor and blood work results to a randomly linked article on the internet anyday.

Edited to respond to your edit..

I am not saying if your doctor prescribes a supplement course to treat an ailment I am talking about self diagnosis by marketing

You have now changed your tune, of course a 'normal' person with no deficiencies or illness/reasons to need vitamins doesn't need to take them but...that's not what you first said is it.

I am not saying if your doctor prescribes a supplement course to treat an ailment I am talking about self diagnosis by marketing. However doctors prescribe all sorts of drugs with very limited science to bck them up like anti-depressants and they also prescribe a lot of placebo as well to get folk out of the waiting rooms.

if you have evidence that unprescribed over the counter vitamin supplements work then lets see it

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/news/20131216/experts-dont-waste-your-money-on-multivitamins

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/horizon/vitamins_prog_summary.shtml

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2013/12December/Pages/Study-finds-vitamin-pills-have-limited-benefit.aspx

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Vitamin-Supplements-Healthy-or-Hoax_UCM_432104_Article.jsp

https://xenophilius.wordpress.com/2014/01/14/top-six-vitamins-you-should-not-take-hmmm/

LeatherTrumpet
09-03-2015, 08:17 AM
The evidence against supplements continues to pile up. Recently I created a list of The Top 5 Vitamins You Shouldn’t Take. Now I’m expanding that list to include vitamin D, which is taken by almost half of older adults. Now, two new studies in latest issue of The Lancet show that most of these people are wasting their money.

The first study is a large review by Philippe Autier and colleagues, who found that taking supplemental vitamin D has no effect on a wide range of diseases and conditions. After looking at over 450 studies, the authors conclude:

“The absence of an effect of vitamin D supplementation on disease occurrence, severity, and clinical course leads to the hypothesis that variations [in vitamin D levels] would essentially be a result, and not a cause, of ill health.”

So it appears that we’ve been getting cause and effect backwards, at least as far as vitamin D is concerned. … Vitamin D supplements, to put it plainly, are a waste of money. … So here’s my expanded list of the Top Six Vitamins You Shouldn’t Take, with the newest entrant at the end:

Vitamin C
Vitamin A and beta carotene
Vitamin E
Vitamin B6
Multi-vitamins
Vitamin D

… What’s left? Well, if you don’t have a deficiency, there’s no reason to take any supplemental vitamins at all. … Save your money. Or better yet, if you must spend it, buy a bit more fresh fruit. You’ll be healthier for it.

via The Top Six Vitamins You Should Not Take – Forbes.

https://xenophilius.wordpress.com/2014/01/14/top-six-vitamins-you-should-not-take-hmmm/

LeatherTrumpet
09-03-2015, 08:22 AM
Do you take any Vitamins and/or Mineral Supplements?

If so what do you take?

this question is ambiguous anyway Josy

You should have asked do you take Vitamins and/or Mineral Supplements that you have prescribed yourself from Boots etc or do you take Vitamins and/or Mineral Supplements on medical advice from a doctor after finding deficiencies?

Big difference

rubymoo
09-03-2015, 09:20 AM
The problem is, that the food we eat today has less nutritional value that it did years ago (when our grandparents were young).

The government say we should all aim to eat 5 a day, but research has shown we should be eating double that, that probably accounts for some of the illnesses we have today, and don't even get me started on the crap they spray on our food and the antibiotics they pump into our food:rant:

Josy
09-03-2015, 12:37 PM
I am not saying if your doctor prescribes a supplement course to treat an ailment I am talking about self diagnosis by marketing. However doctors prescribe all sorts of drugs with very limited science to bck them up like anti-depressants and they also prescribe a lot of placebo as well to get folk out of the waiting rooms.

if you have evidence that unprescribed over the counter vitamin supplements work then lets see it

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/news/20131216/experts-dont-waste-your-money-on-multivitamins

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/horizon/vitamins_prog_summary.shtml

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2013/12December/Pages/Study-finds-vitamin-pills-have-limited-benefit.aspx

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Vitamin-Supplements-Healthy-or-Hoax_UCM_432104_Article.jsp

That's EXACTLY what you were saying with your first few posts in this thread though, you ridiculed ALL vitamins and supplements as being placebos and a waste of money. That's not true. Which is what I was responding to when I replied to you.

You then changed your tune and said what you did above.

I'm not interested in the links you are providing tbh because they are nothing to do with the initial posts of yours I replied to, you backpeddled after that and as I mentioned before I would much rather take my doctors advice because he can see my blood work and knows that I need to take certain vitamins and that they do actually stop me from becoming deficient.

There are a few other members on the thread that have actually posted that they needed vitamins to treat certain ailments and that the vitamins did help, it was proven by their blood work, what more proof do you need?

There is no debate about whether we need important vitamins in our body to survive and if you have a deficiency or are just above borderline then you do need to take vitamins and they do work, that's a fact.

LeatherTrumpet
09-03-2015, 01:30 PM
That's EXACTLY what you were saying with your first few posts in this thread though, you ridiculed ALL vitamins and supplements as being placebos and a waste of money. That's not true. Which is what I was responding to when I replied to you.

You then changed your tune and said what you did above.

I'm not interested in the links you are providing tbh because they are nothing to do with the initial posts of yours I replied to, you backpeddled after that and as I mentioned before I would much rather take my doctors advice because he can see my blood work and knows that I need to take certain vitamins and that they do actually stop me from becoming deficient.

There are a few other members on the thread that have actually posted that they needed vitamins to treat certain ailments and that the vitamins did help, it was proven by their blood work, what more proof do you need?

There is no debate about whether we need important vitamins in our body to survive and if you have a deficiency or are just above borderline then you do need to take vitamins and they do work, that's a fact.

you posted an ambiguous thread then have a go because we cant tell what angle you are coming from until it suits you?

I would stop taking all the pills

:idc:

Niamh.
09-03-2015, 01:31 PM
No I don't take any Vitamins

Josy
09-03-2015, 01:50 PM
you posted an ambiguous thread then have a go because we cant tell what angle you are coming from until it suits you?

I would stop taking all the pills

http://www.idolol.com/pictures/de489e8e29e7b931330c1f58e110fc27.png

LeatherTrumpet
09-03-2015, 01:53 PM
http://www.idolol.com/pictures/de489e8e29e7b931330c1f58e110fc27.png

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-mYKsgGN0frg/U8mZ0dg4U4I/AAAAAAAADqk/FLd0bqMekAw/s1600/Shaving-Eyebrows-is-Not-Good.gif

Kizzy
09-03-2015, 02:34 PM
The evidence against supplements continues to pile up. Recently I created a list of The Top 5 Vitamins You Shouldn’t Take. Now I’m expanding that list to include vitamin D, which is taken by almost half of older adults. Now, two new studies in latest issue of The Lancet show that most of these people are wasting their money.

The first study is a large review by Philippe Autier and colleagues, who found that taking supplemental vitamin D has no effect on a wide range of diseases and conditions. After looking at over 450 studies, the authors conclude:

“The absence of an effect of vitamin D supplementation on disease occurrence, severity, and clinical course leads to the hypothesis that variations [in vitamin D levels] would essentially be a result, and not a cause, of ill health.”

So it appears that we’ve been getting cause and effect backwards, at least as far as vitamin D is concerned. … Vitamin D supplements, to put it plainly, are a waste of money. … So here’s my expanded list of the Top Six Vitamins You Shouldn’t Take, with the newest entrant at the end:

Vitamin C
Vitamin A and beta carotene
Vitamin E
Vitamin B6
Multi-vitamins
Vitamin D

… What’s left? Well, if you don’t have a deficiency, there’s no reason to take any supplemental vitamins at all. … Save your money. Or better yet, if you must spend it, buy a bit more fresh fruit. You’ll be healthier for it.

via The Top Six Vitamins You Should Not Take – Forbes.

From the same study..

'Supplementation in elderly people (mainly women) with 20 μg vitamin D per day seemed to slightly reduce all-cause mortality. The discrepancy between observational and intervention studies suggests that low 25(OH)D is a marker of ill health. Inflammatory processes involved in disease occurrence and clinical course would reduce 25(OH)D, which would explain why low vitamin D status is reported in a wide range of disorders. In elderly people, restoration of vitamin D deficits due to ageing and lifestyle changes induced by ill health could explain why low-dose supplementation leads to slight gains in survival.'

Shaun
09-03-2015, 03:29 PM
I have a multivitamins thing (the chewable ones, that're like chalk) and I drink a glass of water a day with a Vitamin C disolvable tablet

LeatherTrumpet
09-03-2015, 03:30 PM
I have a multivitamins thing (the chewable ones, that're like chalk) and I drink a glass of water a day with a Vitamin C disolvable tablet

why?

Shaun
09-03-2015, 03:39 PM
because I ****ing want to OK, for once in your life let it go

Niamh.
09-03-2015, 03:59 PM
:hehe:

LeatherTrumpet
09-03-2015, 04:11 PM
because I ****ing want to OK, for once in your life let it go

:fan:

i guess its not for anger issues then..

Kizzy
09-03-2015, 04:16 PM
If you don't agree with them why are you in the thread?
I need my supplements, I don't need a raincloud of doom :/

LeatherTrumpet
09-03-2015, 04:19 PM
If you don't agree with them why are you in the thread?
I need my supplements, I don't need a raincloud of doom :/

sigh

its not a vitamin shrine kizzy, its a discussion thread

i would have thought, why do you take them would perhaps be a question asked?

If someone wants to do a Vitamin C fan thread I will steer clear

jennyjuniper
09-03-2015, 04:25 PM
Flax seed and evening primrose oil (2 tablespoons every day)

LeatherTrumpet
09-03-2015, 04:33 PM
Flax seed and evening primrose oil (2 tablespoons every day)

Next step it will be a crack pipe and skid row

Marsh.
09-03-2015, 04:34 PM
Next step it will be a crack pipe and skid row

:joker:

Kizzy
09-03-2015, 04:41 PM
sigh

its not a vitamin shrine kizzy, its a discussion thread

i would have thought, why do you take them would perhaps be a question asked?

If someone wants to do a Vitamin C fan thread I will steer clear

'Do you take any Vitamins and/or Mineral Supplements?

If so what do you take?'

The question was what not why... if I didn't take any I would just jog on :shrug:

LeatherTrumpet
09-03-2015, 04:44 PM
'Do you take any Vitamins and/or Mineral Supplements?

If so what do you take?'

The question was what not why... if I didn't take any I would just jog on :shrug:

hopefully tomorrow we can find out what you would do in another thread?

im hooked

Kizzy
09-03-2015, 04:46 PM
hopefully tomorrow we can find out what you would do in another thread?

im hooked

Start one... I can't wait to tell you all about it :D

DemolitionRed
12-03-2015, 02:23 PM
I was diagnosed with celiac disease years ago. I was given yearly blood tests where my vitamin D levels were monitored and always told (over the phone) that my levels were fine. When I broke my neck they tested me for vitamin D and discovered I wasn't absorbing it. I then collected my medical notes of all the previous tests I'd had done and each test...going back years, confirmed I was vitamin D deficient but the doctors had decided to tell me otherwise. I should of been on a high dose of D3 years ago and if I had, my bones would of been stronger than what they now are.

Kizzy
12-03-2015, 03:01 PM
Really? that's scary :(
I've had all kinds of tests and my sister has celiac but mine came back negative for it.
That said my vitamin levels are on the floor and I have anti smooth muscle, apart from living gluten free what else do you take as immuno support DR?

DemolitionRed
12-03-2015, 04:49 PM
I have to take a very high dose of D3 along with an average dose of calcium and my levels are now fine. My spinal surgeon told me that they are seeing more and more cases of vitamin D deficiency especially in children where they develop rickets but its also very common in people with liver/kidney damage, celiac disease and obesity

Kizzy
12-03-2015, 05:27 PM
I have to take a very high dose of D3 along with an average dose of calcium and my levels are now fine. My spinal surgeon told me that they are seeing more and more cases of vitamin D deficiency especially in children where they develop rickets but its also very common in people with liver/kidney damage, celiac disease and obesity

Thanks, will you never be able to maintain your own levels again then? I was given 20,000mg for a month but have to wait a month now to see if they've risen and/or stabilised.
I do have NAFLD, but sure it's gluten related.

DemolitionRed
12-03-2015, 06:39 PM
Thanks, will you never be able to maintain your own levels again then? I was given 20,000mg for a month but have to wait a month now to see if they've risen and/or stabilised.
I do have NAFLD, but sure it's gluten related.

You may well be able to start maintaining your own levels without supplements, at least that's what I've been told but you still need to have regular tests to ensure your levels are stable. My levels are really good now but like you, I was on a fairly massive dose for a while. I'm continuing to take a maintenance dose regardless of my blood works showing normal results. The problem with low levels of vitamin D is, it shows very little to no symptoms. By the time your joints start hurting, permanent bone damage has already occurred.

Are you saying that you think your liver disease came about from gluten intolerance or that you have (possibly have) gluten intolerance along with your liver disease ?

Kizzy
12-03-2015, 07:27 PM
Ah well I'm screwed then as everything hurts :laugh:
I don't know, it's probably not related but I have a lot of inflammation that I feel it gluten related and I think that's stressed my liver. That said I was a big drinker 2yrs ago, wonder if I'm the only alcoholic to end up with non alcohol related liver disease? ;)
When I quit I took lots of supplements to keep my levels up, but stopped a few months ago and it seems I just can't maintain a balance.
Do you take calcium carbonate too DR?