PDA

View Full Version : WILL WON POP IDOL!!!!

WILDCHILD2K1
09-02-2002, 10:50 PM
I am so happy Will won - I knew he would, he was by far the best tonight even though Gareth was really good too and I felt for him.
I am gonna buy Wills album and single and the lot - he is so good and I am sooooooo happy!!!!!:elephant::colour::spin2::flower:

Heres my kiss for Will :love: Love him!!

LEE
09-02-2002, 11:29 PM
:dance::dazzler::dance::dazzler::dance:

I'm pleased he's won too. :thumbs:

He looked genuinely shocked when Ant and Dec read his name out. I'm sure he was convinced that Gareth would win.

I'll also be buying the single and album.

Good luck Will.

:dance::dazzler::dance::dazzler::dance:

Christine
10-02-2002, 08:24 AM
Good on ya Will!

On Pop Idol Extra, Simon Cowell didn't look very happy about it and this morning on the news, I'm sure I heard them say something about, straight after the show, Simon soon snapped Gareth up and Gareth is said to have signed a contract with Simon.

Also, on Pop Idol Extra, Kate asked Simon if he was looking forward to working with Will, to which he sort of grimaced and said "I think he'll give me a hard time"

Also, it was good to see Brian Dowling on Pop Idol Extra.

Christine - http://www.BBFans.com

Di2001
10-02-2002, 12:14 PM
:hello::hello: Well Done, Will!! :hello::hello:

I wanted either to win but I thought Will sang better on the night. Took an age for my vote to be registered - phone-lines jammed with so many trying to get through.

Really enjoyed listening to Brian's comments on Pop Idol Extra. Was great to see him on TV (don't get up early enough on a Saturday to see him on CD:UK!!). He looks so calm and collected - glad things are going well for him. :spin2:

:dance: Well Done again to Will and Gareth too :dance:

Janette
10-02-2002, 05:11 PM
I am so happy for Will :spin2:

I sat there from the end of the first show until the voting finished constantly pressing redial and I could not register my vote for Will!

He was a true gentleman and he appeared more concerned for Gareth not winning than for himself! What a guy!!!!!

As far as Simon Cowell is concerned, I think they were always going to sign both of them. This way they'll never have songs out at the same time, so sales will be huge!

And Will is going to be such a massive star, I can't wait to buy his album :love:

Kaz
10-02-2002, 08:32 PM
:hello: :colour: :elephant: :hello:WELL DONE WILL!!:hello: :colour: :elephant: :hello:

What a fantastic result. Both Will and Gareth were brilliant, but for me Will gave both singles a little something special. Especially 'Evergreen' which I didn't think would suit him - but when he sang it I literally came out in goosebumps. It was totally amazing.

Will looked totally shocked when he was announced as the winner, and I was so proud of the way Gareth took the news. It goes without saying that I was crying buckets by this time. :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

However, I was even worse when Will sang 'Evergreen' again at the end and dedicated it to Gareth, and the final 50 came on to join him, then Darius lifted him up onto his shoulder. Awww, bless him. :love:

All the luck in the world to both of them for the future, but especially Will. I'll be first in the queue when the single is released. :thumbs:

Apparently Foxy has already played Will's single this afternoon on Capital FM. Did anyone hear it?

Will- not only are you a Pop Idol, but you are a complete superstar. :hello: :colour::dazzler: :colour: :hello:

Kaz
11-02-2002, 08:46 AM
For a change, an article in The Sun which talks a lot of sense. (It couldn't have been our Mr Mohan who wrote it!!) :spin2:

CLICK HERE (http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002061779,00.html) to read the article.

Will's triumph was a victory for real music over manufactured pop.
Exactly. Maybe the record industry will sit up and take note that the majority of the British public don't want to listen to manufactured dross - we want real music from someone who can actually sing.

"Will gave the performance of his life on the single Evergreen. It was one of the best bits of TV I've ever seen."
If this is indeed a quote from Simon Cowell, then he's just gone up a notch in my estimations. Will's performance of 'Evergreen', as I've said in my previous post, was nothing short of sensational.

:dazzler: :hello: :dazzler:

Feefs
11-02-2002, 10:15 AM
I'm going to have to admit to being a bit too drunk to really appreciate the subtleties of PI this weekend. In fact, I'm only just recovering from my hangover now.

However, in spite of the whole evening being something of a blur I mangaged the following observations

1. My home-made PI flags were great and I waved them alot
2. Both Will and Gareth were lovely and sang well
3. Ant and Dec are great - I'll miss them
4. Weren't the songs for the single boring? And very alike. Perhaps it's because I was under the influence, but when Gareth sang his first song, we had a bit of a debate about if it was the same one Will had sung. We realised it was different, but their introductions especially were very similar.
5. There was a pretty even split in loyalties for who should win, and it was concluded that choosing between Will and Gareth was like choosing between Ant and Dec. We wanted both!
6. Wasn't Ant's sparkly suit in keeping with the evening, and why wasn't there a number to vote for Ant and Dec?
7. I decided to vote for both. After 10 minutes I got through for Will. After another 30 minutes I'd failed to get through for Gareth, and went in the huff when the lines closed, but I don't think it was a conspiracy. Just busy.
7. Singles were dull. I know I've said that before, but it's true. And did we really need the voice coaches' choir in the background? Will at least did an upbeat 3rd song. I'm not convinced by the arrangement of Light My Fire, but it was at least well executed, and interesting. Unchained Melody was more interesting than the singles, but still in the same genre, and everyone remembers him singing it before, so it wasn't fresh. I think both of them would have benefited from less time on the campaign trail, and more time working on their performances.
8. It was nice to see Brian again, but I couldn't really understand what he was saying. I wasn't sure if it was because he'd been on the free alcohol, if I'd been on the wine, or both. I did like his flag waving, but was jealous that he had one flag with both of them on, and I had to make do with two separate flags.
9. They're both so lovely! Will was so gracious in victory, and Gareth so gracious in defeat. I want to adopt them both, but I suppose I'll have to join the queue. :love:

I still have it on video, so I'll watch it after I've watched Night Fever, so I'll maybe change my mind about the singles. I can't help but think the record company knows it will be a massive hit, so are saving the decent stuff for the follow up. Unless I have a big change of heart, I won't buy the single, but will await follow-ups and albums with keen anticipation.
:flower:

What was great was that there was a recognition that even though their styles were very different, there was room for both of them in the charts. I can't be bothered reading the Mohan thing, and I find the concept of manufactured pop something of a nonsense. It's all manufactured if we're honest. The record companies, and people in charge of play-lists need reminding that we, the general public don't all want the same thing all the time so can be a little bolder in their decision making and not underestimate us.

LEE
11-02-2002, 11:18 AM
I agree with you about the Mohan artical Kaz, it's well worth a read and for once, and possibly the only time in his life, he's talking sense. :shocked:

I can't help wondering if Simon Cowell would have jumped in so quickly to offer Will a contract if Gareth had won.

Janette, I also had my phone on constant redial trying to vote for Will without getting through once! 28,000 phone lines might sound a lot, but as BT have said that there were over a million people per second trying to get through, ITV definately need to rethink this if they do do the show, or anything like it, again.

Feefs
11-02-2002, 11:51 AM
I think the contracts were already in place for both of them last week. I know we can't trust the papers, but I remember Simon saying he had to be nice to Will because he was going to be working with him. That was in the early show, so I was still quite sober. For weeks they've been talking about how he could imagine signing up several of them, so I was glad they'd dropped the pretence about coming first being the only route to a contract.

I had to laugh this morning when Foxy was on GMTV. He quite rightly said it was a nonsense to think there was any attempt to rig the telephones. He said that some people just look for a conspiracy and love to encourage a scandal. All this just a few hours after he'd been on tv saying he thought the Hearsay auditions were fishy.

I was a bit disappointed, because Lisa (formerly of Steps and girlfriend of new person) was also on gmtv earlier with her brothers and she said she wanted to have words with him about what he had said. I had hoped we'd have had an on-air slanging match, but someone must have kept them apart. :spin2:

I read somewhere that about a million people were trying to get through to vote during any given minute and that there was a risk the telephone network was going to collapse. BT had to bring in special measures to prevent it happening. Oops! Oh well, it probaby saved a lot of people a lot of money. :laugh:

LEE
11-02-2002, 02:29 PM
Hi Feefs :cat:

Certainly sounds as though you had a good 'Pop Idol Party'. hic. :laugh:

I was just wondering............

whether.........

you managed.........

to get us any sponsorship? :hugesmile:

Seriously, don't worry if you didn't, we appreciate your efforts anyway.

:wavey:

Honey
11-02-2002, 04:52 PM
Am I the only one who wondered why there wasn't some kind of award given to Will...I know the 'prize' for winning was a record contract, but Gareth and it looks like Darius also have this deal so it would have been nice for Will to have had some sort of trophy to show for it. It's just a thought. I haven't seen anyone else mention this... anywhere else, am I the only person to think this, what do you think?

kaphc
11-02-2002, 05:51 PM
As Helen would say "Oh. My. God!" I was sooo shocked when Will won. Four out of the five of us in the roomed just screamed and screamed!

But then we all started feeling really sorry for Gareth. It was strange because we had been so hyped up to support Will, the underdog, that when they announced it, we all felt it was something of an anticlimax. On ITV2 as well there seemed to be a sort of stunned atmosphere, as if they couldn't believe it either.

Having said that I thought Will was definitely better on the night, though neither of them did their very best performances of the series.

The good news for me is that a group of us are off to the concert at Wembley on March 17th - hurray! Is anyone else planning to go?

And yes, Honey, I do think some sort of trophy would have been good as a tangible memento of Will's stunning achievment.

BigSister
12-02-2002, 11:22 AM
Honey yes I am

I am going to the Manmchester one on March 25th

I cant wait

Anyone else going to the Manchester 1

Feefs
12-02-2002, 11:52 AM
The songs have grown on me now I've watched it back on video, but I must agree that choice of song aside, both have sung better in the past. You could tell the nerves and the intensity of the week were taking their toll, but of course they still outperformed most of their contemporaries that are already in the charts.

Ant and Dec looked about as sick as they did at the National TV awards at having to announce the results. Especially after Will and Gareth thanked them for being so good to them over the previous few months. I shed so many more tears watching it back and spotting all the details I missed during the excitement of the evening. In particular I hadn't noticed how often Will and Gareth turned to look at each other whenever things got stressful. I really hope they can stay friends.

It's probably just as well PI has come to a close, because I was beginning to get far too overcritical of the performances instead of just allowing myself to enjoy them. For example did anyone else notice that Will was singing about things being passable? I'm pretty sure that their first CDUK or TOTP performances with the more mortal artists will remind us how much we've been spoilt in the past few weeks.

I'd love to go to one of the concerts. Do you know where they are advertised?

LEE - I did manage to extract some money from a few unexpecting souls on Saturday. I must admit I'd forgotten about it, but when I saw Brian I sprung into action. Fortunately I have a trustworthy face, so it didn't matter that I'd forgotten the form. Actually, I think people gave me some cash to get rid of me! :spin:

Kaz
12-02-2002, 12:20 PM
Feefs - the following information on the concerts is taken from the official Pop Idol website - http://www.itv.com/popidol

See The Pop Idol Finalists
Coming to a town near you, the ten Pop Idol finalists will be strutting their funky stuff. This is your chance to see them in one great live show. For the last 21 weeks you've seen it on TV, now come and be part of it.

REGIONAL SHOWS
London Arena Monday 18th March
Tuesday 19th March

Sheffield Arena Thursday 21st March
Friday 22nd March

Birmingham NEC Saturday 23rd March
Sunday 24th March

Manchester MENA Monday 25th March

Glasgow SECC Tuesday 26th March
Wednesday 27th March

You can also see the final ten live at Wembley Arena on 14th, 15th, 16th and 17th March.

Existing dates
Thursday 14th March at 7.30pm
Friday 15th March at 7.30pm
The new dates
Matinee on Saturday 16th March at 2.30pm
Saturday 16th March at 7.30 pm
Sunday 17th March at 7.30 pm

Tickets are just £22.50 and £25 for all events.

Call the ticket hotline now on 0870 1633401.
Alternatively, book online, or you can call the Wembley box office on 0208 902 0902.

:dazzler: :dazzler: :dazzler: :dazzler: :dazzler:

Feefs
12-02-2002, 04:14 PM
It was a struggle, but I've managed to get myself a couple of tickets! Hooray.

Lot's is not available, and you'll be struggling to sit with your friends if you have many! As fun as it may sound, I don't think this suits a minibus outing from TIBB.

Synopsis: Features the Top 10 idols - Gareth, Zoe, Hayley, Laura, Rosie, Jessica, Will, Korben, Darius, Aaron - performing 25-30 songs between them accompanied by a 17-piece band.
Running time: Approx 3 hours. :spin2:

kaphc
12-02-2002, 07:23 PM
Well done Feefs! I am just hoping that the concert will live up to our expectations and not be flat and boring.

I read (in heat I think) that some of the other people who auditioned might also be on there, maybe the YMCa girl? And perhaps Rik, though if he brings his single out on March 4th then maybe not!

Will wants to sing "Light my Fire" and a song I'd never heard of which apparently is one of his faves. Did anyone read this too and know which song it is?

susieq
12-02-2002, 10:39 PM
Will wants to sing "Light my Fire" and a song I'd never heard of which apparently is one of his faves. Did anyone read this too and know which song it is?

Apparently it's going to be 'Ain't no sunshine' - the old Bill Withers song which is apparently his dad's favourite (bless him!). I remember him singing it a few weeks back and he did a blinding version -really suits his voice. I would imagine he'll do his new single as well.

Do you think they'll film one of the concerts to go on the (obligatory) Pop Idol video? Hope so.
http://thisisbigbrother.com/forum/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Kaz
13-02-2002, 09:02 AM
CLICK HERE (http://www.ananova.com/entertainment/story/sm_519902.html) to see the cover of Will's new single. Now you know what to look for on 25th February!!

Double cool picture! :thumbs: :love: :thumbs:

Janette
13-02-2002, 09:21 AM
Oh my God, I'm in love!!!!!:love:

He looks gorgeous!

Feefs
13-02-2002, 10:46 AM
I really hope he does to Ain't No Sunshine. I really liked it and to me it was his 'performance of the series' - far better than Light My Fire, but I doubt I'll be making a trip to the toilet whatever he sings.

I'm hoping we're going to get a few duets and group numbers too. I read Zoe and Gareth are doing Sonny and Cher's I've Got You, and I'd like to see Will and Gareth doing Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me again. How jealous was I of those people in the hotel? It would be nice if they let Gareth play the piano again, but with such a big show and so many people on and off the stage it might be too ambitious.

I'll be most interested to hear what songs Darius will be singing. It sounds like they will be quite deliberately ensuring Gareth and Will are marketed and different parts of the market, but I wonder what path Darius will go down assuming they want to keep his music different still?

Jessica will no doubt sing her Eurovision Song, or at least if it was chosen. Does anyone know if that's been decided yet? I've not heard it, but at least it can't be a cover! :spin2:

Kaz
13-02-2002, 05:15 PM
Just had to share this picture I found of Will singing 'Evergreen' along with the Pop Idol final 50.

http://www.ananova.com/images/entertainment/popidol_group410x305.jpg

Isn't it fantastic? It just sums up the moment perfectly, and isn't Darius looking cool?!!

:hello: :dazzler: :hello: :dazzler: :hello:

kaphc
13-02-2002, 06:52 PM
I read that Will wants to sing "love and affection" by joan Armatrading which is one of his favourite songs. It is also the one he requested when he was on capital fm with margarita.

That picture is soooooo fab Kaz, thanx or that. I now have a "popidol" folder on my pc as well as my "bigbrother" one!!

You are right, Darius does look cool, but he also looks like a giant compared to the rest of them. Laura looks particularly "poppy" - she could fit into SClub7 without too much difficulty! I don't like Hayley's outfit though.

:joker::joker:

k8y4e4
20-04-2002, 11:02 AM
gareth is the best coz he beet will he was 4 weeks in the chart will only 3 wil is a looser!!!!Gareth is the winner:devil:gareth !!!:wavey: gareth!!!:dance: is the real popidol!!!!:elephant:

WILDCHILD
20-04-2002, 09:45 PM
Welcome to the board k8y4e4!:xyxwave::cat::xyxwave:
Nice 2 have u ova here!
:spin2:BUT...!
Im afraid Im gonna have to DISAGREE with you. Yeah, Gaz is good but he is no where in the same league as Will!!:bouncy:
Thats my opinion though - Im sure they will both do fab!!! (with Will lasting that little bit longer!!:spin2:)
:flower::colour::flower::colour::flower::colour::f lower::colour::flower::colour::flower: