PDA

View Full Version : Hypermobility

Kizzy
10-04-2015, 08:20 PM
Is anyone hypermobile? I am and it's a pain in the ar*e... and the arm, and the elbow, and the hip and just about everywhere :/

smudgie
10-04-2015, 09:13 PM
I feel for you Kizzy.
I don't have it, but I have a knee and 2 ankles that have minds of their own and do what they want at times. That is bad enough.
Not really heard much about hypermobility until recently, do you find it manageable?

Marsh.
10-04-2015, 09:15 PM
Is this the excuse you use for hitting people? :nono:

Cherie
10-04-2015, 09:26 PM
Never heard of it :shocked:

GypsyGoth
10-04-2015, 10:23 PM
Never heard of it :shocked:

Neither have I, I looked it up and it seems like a form of double-jointed-ness that causes pain.

joeysteele
10-04-2015, 10:23 PM
I have heard the medics in my family talk about hypermobility syndrome, is it like having loose joints.
I believe it can also be painful too at times, I hope it doesn't cause you too much discomfort Kizzy.

rubymoo
10-04-2015, 10:30 PM
I remember going to the hospital with back, neck and shoulder pain and the consultant getting me to do a few exercises before excitedly telling me i was hyper extensive in my shoulders and elbows, and that was that, i was sent away with no aftercare instructions!

Kizzy
10-04-2015, 10:37 PM
I didn't know that much about it until yesterday, I think it was called 'double jointed' it was good as a kid being bendy for gym and dance but in my 40s it's a pain... and it's caused tendonitis at least I know what it is now :)

RichardG
10-04-2015, 11:09 PM
my sister has hypermobility type ehlers danlos syndrome

she is dislocating all of her joints practically every day, it doesn't look very fun :(

Kizzy
10-04-2015, 11:20 PM
my sister has hypermobility type ehlers danlos syndrome

she is dislocating all of her joints practically every day, it doesn't look very fun :(

Poor lass :( I've never dislocated and only have the skin elasticity, does she have a lot of physio?

RichardG
10-04-2015, 11:35 PM
Poor lass :( I've never dislocated and only have the skin elasticity, does she have a lot of physio?

she can't do any, she can barely even walk 10 minutes these days without her hips and her knees falling out of place + she has really messed up bones too, her legs are all twisted and painful. she's been told she'll need to be in a wheelchair permanently soon even though she's only 20 :(

Toy Soldier
10-04-2015, 11:49 PM
Both of my shoulders subluxate (partial dislocation) really easily, one more than the other due to an... err... sporting injury (? I was playing rounders at school and collided with someone at full speed... haha) upon which my shoulder socket cracked when the joint popped (full dislocation) and it healed very slightly "bigger". I've only fully dislocated that shoulder twice since then so not too bad really, that was 12 years ago.

I can keep on top of it easily by keeping the muscles around my shoulders built up but I've been seriously lazy for at least 4 years, they pop quite easily at the moment. I don't need to pull them or anything. I can just tense my arm muscles and "pop" the good shoulder (goes straight in and out of the socket and makes a loud crack/crunch) and completely subluxate the "bad" shoulder (it sits out of the socket until I stop tensing and then sort of slides back in, also looks really creepy, you can clearly see the outline of the socket).

Thankfully I've never had physical limitations because of it, I can lift / push / pull "heavy stuff" without problems, it's more that if I twist my arm at the wrong angle which more or less has to be deliberate.

Other than the time that I tried to clean the outside of an upstairs window by reaching out of the top part and down at a weird twisted angle, and had a complete dislocation. I was just left sort of hanging there, stood on a chair, one arm hanging out the window immobilized... and no one else in the house to help... :joker:.

Kizzy
11-04-2015, 12:03 AM
she can't do any, she can barely even walk 10 minutes these days without her hips and her knees falling out of place + she has really messed up bones too, her legs are all twisted and painful. she's been told she'll need to be in a wheelchair permanently soon even though she's only 20 :(

I feel really foolish for feeling sorry for myself having a few aches and pains now Richard, how long has she had a diagnosis?

Kizzy
11-04-2015, 12:09 AM
Both of my shoulders subluxate (partial dislocation) really easily, one more than the other due to an... err... sporting injury (? I was playing rounders at school and collided with someone at full speed... haha) upon which my shoulder socket cracked when the joint popped (full dislocation) and it healed very slightly "bigger". I've only fully dislocated that shoulder twice since then so not too bad really, that was 12 years ago.

I can keep on top of it easily by keeping the muscles around my shoulders built up but I've been seriously lazy for at least 4 years, they pop quite easily at the moment. I don't need to pull them or anything. I can just tense my arm muscles and "pop" the good shoulder (goes straight in and out of the socket and makes a loud crack/crunch) and completely subluxate the "bad" shoulder (it sits out of the socket until I stop tensing and then sort of slides back in, also looks really creepy, you can clearly see the outline of the socket).

Thankfully I've never had physical limitations because of it, I can lift / push / pull "heavy stuff" without problems, it's more that if I twist my arm at the wrong angle which more or less has to be deliberate.

Other than the time that I tried to clean the outside of an upstairs window by reaching out of the top part and down at a weird twisted angle, and had a complete dislocation. I was just left sort of hanging there, stood on a chair, one arm hanging out the window immobilized... and no one else in the house to help... :joker:.

Arrgghh! that happened to my ex once it looked horrible and he had to pop it back in urgh! That was due to a childhood accident though and not this.

RichardG
11-04-2015, 12:29 AM
I feel really foolish for feeling sorry for myself having a few aches and pains now Richard, how long has she had a diagnosis?

Only very recently, a couple of years ago I think when she was 18. She had the symptoms since 13/14 but the stupid doctors kept telling her it's all in her head and she's making it up, and had her on permanent antidepressants with therapists coming round to our house literally every week (which never made sense given that she was in a&e all the time getting her joints popped back into place, clearly something was physically wrong - sometimes we wonder why doctors get paid so much!!). Thankfully someone took her seriously eventually and got her diagnosed and all it took from him was one ct scan and a couple of days observation, nothing difficult, so it's crazy that she had to put up with years of being messed around!

Kyle
11-04-2015, 12:41 AM
Is anyone hypermobile? I am and it's a pain in the ar*e... and the arm, and the elbow, and the hip and just about everywhere :/

Katrina has hypermobility Kizzy, it's funny we were just talking about that yesterday. Hope you're ok.

Kizzy
11-04-2015, 01:00 AM
Only very recently, a couple of years ago I think when she was 18. She had the symptoms since 13/14 but the stupid doctors kept telling her it's all in her head and she's making it up, and had her on permanent antidepressants with therapists coming round to our house literally every week (which never made sense given that she was in a&e all the time getting her joints popped back into place, clearly something was physically wrong - sometimes we wonder why doctors get paid so much!!). Thankfully someone took her seriously eventually and got her diagnosed and all it took from him was one ct scan and a couple of days observation, nothing difficult, so it's crazy that she had to put up with years of being messed around!

Oh wow I thought you were going to say it was gradual since early childhood, maybe it's something that gradually worsens as we enter puberty?
Apparently the female hormone progestrogen aggravates the problem :(
I'm glad she is getting the assistance she needs now.

Kizzy
11-04-2015, 01:11 AM
Katrina has hypermobility Kizzy, it's funny we were just talking about that yesterday. Hope you're ok.

Really? maybe it's more common than I thought I don't feel so lonely now, we can compare clicky knees :laugh:
Yes I'm ok thank you just glad it's not a few years down the line and my joints are arthritic or severely damaged.
I have to lose weight and take up low impact sports like pilates and swimming (which I love) to improve muscle tone.
I've also to have physio and natural pain relief as I can't take anti inflammatories.

arista
11-04-2015, 01:29 AM
[It is important that hypermobile individuals remain fit - even more so than the average individual - to prevent recurrent injuries. Regular exercise and physical therapy or hydrotherapy can reduce symptoms because strong muscles increase joint stability. These treatments can also help by stretching tight, overused muscles and ensuring the person uses joints within the ideal ranges of motion, avoiding hyperextension or hyperflexion. Low-impact exercise such as Pilates or T'ai chi is usually recommended as they are less likely to cause injury than high-impact exercise or contact sports.

Moist hot packs can relieve the pain of aching joints and muscles. For some patients, ice packs also help to relieve pain. In many cases alternating the two (hot and cold) helps relieve the pain.]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypermobility_%28joints%29

You must stay Fit
you can get therapy
I am sure you know all this link.

RichardG
11-04-2015, 01:30 AM
Oh wow I thought you were going to say it was gradual since early childhood, maybe it's something that gradually worsens as we enter puberty?
Apparently the female hormone progestrogen aggravates the problem :(
I'm glad she is getting the assistance she needs now.

yeah it's always been there, like i remember as a child she always used to freak me out because she could bend all her fingers right back and stuff like that, but it only really became a 'problem' as such in the early teenage years

Kizzy
11-04-2015, 01:33 AM
[It is important that hypermobile individuals remain fit - even more so than the average individual - to prevent recurrent injuries. Regular exercise and physical therapy or hydrotherapy can reduce symptoms because strong muscles increase joint stability. These treatments can also help by stretching tight, overused muscles and ensuring the person uses joints within the ideal ranges of motion, avoiding hyperextension or hyperflexion. Low-impact exercise such as Pilates or T'ai chi is usually recommended as they are less likely to cause injury than high-impact exercise or contact sports.

Moist hot packs can relieve the pain of aching joints and muscles. For some patients, ice packs also help to relieve pain. In many cases alternating the two (hot and cold) helps relieve the pain.]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypermobility_%28joints%29

You must stay Fit
you can get therapy
I am sure you know all this link.

Thanks Arista, no I haven't seen that yet only got told yesterday so just trying to work out what to do to sort it :)

Kizzy
11-04-2015, 01:37 AM
yeah it's always been there, like i remember as a child she always used to freak me out because she could bend all her fingers right back and stuff like that, but it only really became a 'problem' as such in the early teenage years

Yep, and my kids can too at least they'll have a heads up on how to keep as strong as possible, neither have had a dislocation or break ( touch wood) but are really really bendy.