PDA

View Full Version : Vanity sizing swindle.

DemolitionRed
15-07-2015, 02:52 PM
I'm a size 9 in British sizing which is annoying. A ten is just a bit too loose for me and an 8 is just a bit too tight. Obviously that's variable depending on where I shop for clothes but generally I'm a 9 in my chosen outlets. Fortunately I'm a good seamstress.

Last week I went to a friend who is in her late 40s. She told me that sizes have changed and in fact a size 10 now would of been a size 12 back in the 80s-90s. She went and got some vintage clothes out of her wardrobe that were English branded and size 10. I tried them on but all of them were too tight.

I decided to research this but it didn't take me long to discover that in the last 40 years a size 10 has grown by a whopping 10 centimetres.

In old money I'm not a size 9 at all, I'm a size 11 :bawling:

Livia
15-07-2015, 03:00 PM
I collect vintage clothes, and yes, they are tiny compared to today's sizes. I have a Biba dress from the 70s which is a 12 and fits like a 10. I also have a 1930s dress which is a 14 equivalent and fits like a 10. I suppose it's right that sizes have increased, we've all grown in height and weight due to improved nutrition

Ammi
15-07-2015, 03:10 PM
...hmmm, I don't think it just specifically sizing though, I think also different styles/fits of clothing as well and it wasn't that many decades ago when it was just being learned to cut clothes cheaply for high street fashion...I have fascinating books of designs form my late father in law on 'new age' cuts/designs for trousers/jackets../male fashion...and that's something that constantly evolves and updates to make things affordable to everyone...plus I also think that 'shape' change through decades as well and someone might still be a size 8 but a slightly different shaped size 8 so things from back in the day won't necessarily fit anymore...a natural 'Marilyn' shape is quite rare now, I think...ladies are more toned though....

..one day Liv...I want to see your collection because it always sounds so fabulous..:lovedup:...

Livia
15-07-2015, 08:01 PM
...hmmm, I don't think it just specifically sizing though, I think also different styles/fits of clothing as well and it wasn't that many decades ago when it was just being learned to cut clothes cheaply for high street fashion...I have fascinating books of designs form my late father in law on 'new age' cuts/designs for trousers/jackets../male fashion...and that's something that constantly evolves and updates to make things affordable to everyone...plus I also think that 'shape' change through decades as well and someone might still be a size 8 but a slightly different shaped size 8 so things from back in the day won't necessarily fit anymore...a natural 'Marilyn' shape is quite rare now, I think...ladies are more toned though....

..one day Liv...I want to see your collection because it always sounds so fabulous..:lovedup:...

Hmmm I'd have to check your bags before you left, you understand.

DemolitionRed
20-07-2015, 07:07 PM
Damn, I completely forgot I had written this thread...sorry and thanks for the replies.

Wow Livia, a size 14 that is more like a today size 10!

Yes, we have grown in height but surely our waistline hasn't changed other than size. I do think the Marilyn Moroe type figure has almost disappeared. That hour glass figure is a rarity now regardless of size. Skinny is more straight up and straight down.

Ammi you make some good points but what about 1960s skirts that tightly nipped around the waist but didn't have to take account of hip size because there was masses of fabric. If they were to bring back that same style could they still use old fashioned sizing on the waistline? if the old ten doesn't fit then why don't they just go for the next size up?

The thing that annoys me is the variability. If I buy from White Stuff a size 8 is too big for me and its the same with Next. I just bought something off the internet which is a size 10 and I can't even get into it.

Kizzy
25-07-2015, 10:11 AM
Trying to flatter the sugar plum fairies that they're not expanding maybe?