PDA

View Full Version : Hands feeling raw/help pls

Shaun
18-12-2015, 07:31 PM
Every winter my hands (well, in particular the tips of my fingers) tend to get a little bit sore and the parts near my nails often turn raw and sting every time they come into contact with water / anything else. I was wondering if it could be solved with just some hand cream or if I'd need something else, because it does seem to just happen around the colder months?

MB.
18-12-2015, 07:37 PM
Would 'gloves' be unhelpful

Denver
18-12-2015, 07:39 PM
Maybe go see your GP?

Shaun
18-12-2015, 07:39 PM
I am not wearing gloves around the bloody house.

Get out

Benjamin
18-12-2015, 07:46 PM
I used to get this when younger and my skin would crack and bleed, It was so painful in winter, I moisturise very day and that has stopped it. I would suggest something non perfumed/scented as otherwise it can sting like a bitch on cracked skin.

Ninastar
18-12-2015, 07:46 PM
i get this too (because i wash my hands so often with working in a school) and a doctor told me to use thick, non-scented creams like E45 and vaseline

i also wear plastic gloves to bed sometimes with loads of cream on, depending on how sore they are

MB.
18-12-2015, 07:49 PM
i also wear plastic gloves to bed sometimes with loads of cream on, depending on how sore they are

See!!!!!1!!!1!!!

rubymoo
18-12-2015, 08:22 PM
Every winter my hands (well, in particular the tips of my fingers) tend to get a little bit sore and the parts near my nails often turn raw and sting every time they come into contact with water / anything else. I was wondering if it could be solved with just some hand cream or if I'd need something else, because it does seem to just happen around the colder months?

Coconut oil is brilliant, about £5 for a large jar, i've used it on my daughters eyebrows (she had seborrhea dermatitis) it cleared it up with 2 weeks, it was brilliant! And my other daughter currently has what looks like eczema on her fingers and i've been using it for 5 days and it looks a lot better, coconut oil is marvellous!

I also use it as a hand and face moisturiser (you only need a little of it on the face).

I also suffer with sore hands to the point where they crack and bleed, coconut oil helps keep this at bay:hee:

Smithy
18-12-2015, 08:25 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71-aG3SDedL._SY355_.jpg

Works really well Shaun

Amy Jade
18-12-2015, 08:26 PM
It sounds silly but sudocrem in a pair of cheap gloves would work if you wear them over night or try bepanthan?

Cherie
18-12-2015, 08:34 PM

Works really well Shaun

Oh gosh I was going to post this as my OH uses it, I buy it in Wickes for him

mizzy25
18-12-2015, 08:46 PM
aqueous cream is good u get a big tub of it for a few quid as well, lasts forever.

Shaun
18-12-2015, 08:47 PM
Thanks everyone :love: now let's tut and shake our heads at MB

BlankSpace
18-12-2015, 08:49 PM
Do your hands change colour when they become sore?

Ashley.
18-12-2015, 08:50 PM
You're going to die!

Hehe just kidding, use the cream

Benjamin
18-12-2015, 08:51 PM
Do your hands change colour when they become sore?

Shaun and his chameleon hands.

MB.
18-12-2015, 08:54 PM
Thanks everyone :love: now let's tut and shake our heads at MB

If you're going to try and throw vague shade in my direction then at least have the decency to use my festive name

Ammi
19-12-2015, 04:51 AM
..it's because you ate all of the chocolates in your advent calendar, it's a curse...by Christmas day, your fingers will have dropped off and you won't be able to open any gifts...don't doubt the power of Father Christmas or God, they will strike you down bit be bit and starting with your fingers and heading toward your toes...

Ammi
19-12-2015, 04:52 AM
..is cameltoe a thing, maybe it could be that..?..

Ammi
19-12-2015, 04:58 AM
...but really, just what others have suggested..(obviously except MB, we don't listen to him..)..things like Aqueous Cream, E45, Vaseline..any barrier cream really or coconut oil..there is one by Lush that I used to use, Helping Hands I think it was but these things can be expensive and cheaper stuff works just as well...and gloves are good, cotton ones while you're sleeping and if you do things like wash up, I don't know if you have a dishwasher but if you're doing it the manual way, then wear rubber gloves etc...and gloves for work you need as well...in and out of the cold and varying temperatures isn't good and in and out of water and washing up etc isn't good either....

Ammi
19-12-2015, 04:59 AM
..or yeah, it could be a curse, I think it's a curse....

Jordan.
19-12-2015, 05:46 AM
Might be chilblains

Jessica.
19-12-2015, 06:09 AM
Look up dyshidrosis?

Josy
19-12-2015, 09:15 AM
Coconut oil is brilliant, about £5 for a large jar, i've used it on my daughters eyebrows (she had seborrhea dermatitis) it cleared it up with 2 weeks, it was brilliant! And my other daughter currently has what looks like eczema on her fingers and i've been using it for 5 days and it looks a lot better, coconut oil is marvellous!

I also use it as a hand and face moisturiser (you only need a little of it on the face).

I also suffer with sore hands to the point where they crack and bleed, coconut oil helps keep this at bay:hee:

Coconut oil.

jennyjuniper
19-12-2015, 10:25 AM

It's not a 'glamour' product, but I remember someone once reccomending a cream that farmers use on cows udders to stop them cracking. I can't remember the name, but any chemist will probably know what it is. It worked too.

Gusto Brunt
19-12-2015, 10:34 AM
I always use either Johnsons baby lotion (pink bottle) on chapped skin or to keep skin soft.

Or you can use zinc and castor cream (fragrance free). It's a firm favourite in our house and has been used for decades.

Not the same pot of cream. :D Different ones throughout the years.

Shaun
24-12-2015, 01:30 AM

Works really well Shaun

I ended up going with this because it was on Prime (idk why i'm a member of that) and wanted it the next day and was averagely priced, plus it seemed to cater to my masculinity x

It seems to be doing the trick. Weird texture to it but my hands are noticeably smoother / comfortable already after 2 days.