PDA

View Full Version : Christmas dinner at a restaurant?

Will.
19-12-2015, 10:41 PM
This the first year that I'm going to a restaurant with my family for X-Mas dinner.

We're going to the local Italian.

They do like 3 courses, not that I will have a starter. A choice between Lamb, Turkey and Sea bass (fish) for the main.

My mum doesn't like any of those, so there doing her Steak.

I'm not that keen on roast dinners, so there doing be some sort of pasta dish :laugh:

Anyone else going out for Christmas?

Firewire
19-12-2015, 10:42 PM
Went last year and it was great but prefer traditional Christmas dinner at home

Will.
19-12-2015, 10:43 PM

yeah, I don't know if I'll like it. It won't be the same.

Babayaro.
19-12-2015, 10:46 PM
I've never had Christmas dinner anywhere other than at my home. It wouldn't feel right

BigSister
19-12-2015, 11:10 PM
Ive had it out once in a restaurant but it was a proper Christmas dinner tuirkey etc. Usually I have it at home at my house

Dollface
19-12-2015, 11:11 PM
I've never had Christmas dinner anywhere other than at my home. It wouldn't feel right

same

DemolitionRed
20-12-2015, 05:48 AM
This the first year that I'm going to a restaurant with my family for X-Mas dinner.

We're going to the local Italian.

They do like 3 courses, not that I will have a starter. A choice between Lamb, Turkey and Sea bass (fish) for the main.

My mum doesn't like any of those, so there doing her Steak.

I'm not that keen on roast dinners, so there doing be some sort of pasta dish :laugh:

Anyone else going out for Christmas?

Yes, first time ever so we are a bit nervous!

We are going to an English restaurant that we know and love and the good news is, the dog can come too :blush:

We have gone for the traditional Xmas dinner and so I'll be having goose with all the trimmings. Its a six course including coffee but I won't have room for six courses.

Cherie
20-12-2015, 07:53 AM
Going out this year to a Gasto Pub type restaurant, never been out in England for dinner before, last year we had a Christmas dinner in New York in a little neighbourhood restaurant on 8th Avenue the atmosphere was great and though we didn't have traditional dinner it was the best Christmas dinner experience I have ever had.

Josy
20-12-2015, 08:11 AM
We've been at a restaurant a couple of times for Christmas Dinner, good food but much prefer it in the house tbh (not my house my inlaws) I feel more comfortable in the house plus you can eat dinner at your own pace and don't feel as if your being rushed out of the venue in time for the next sitting.

Most years we get ours catered in but this year we are having it at my sister in laws, it's their first year in their new home and everyone is taking a turn at making part of dinner, my OH is making the starters of soup and pate with melba toasts.

Jessica.
20-12-2015, 08:48 AM
We're spending Christmas at my boyfriend's aunt's house, it's a lovely big house and there'll be 15 people there in total. I've never had a big Christmas before, so this should be really nice. :D

joeysteele
20-12-2015, 08:54 AM
I will be with my Parents and family for Christmas.
Just for me this is but I would hate to be out at a restaurant for Christmas Dinner,for me, I'd rather even just be in on my own cooking my own rather than do so.

However for those who enjoy it why not.

mizzy25
20-12-2015, 08:57 AM
I'm staying home but I wont be cooking, he will, I'm not @ all bothered id have egg n chips lol have been to the local pub a few times on xmas day for dinner and it was nice but expensive.

Cal.
20-12-2015, 09:20 AM
We went in 2013 and it was cute but I much prefer staying at home.

Daniel-X
20-12-2015, 10:10 AM
Always have it at home if we are in England. When we were in Australia we went to this hotel what did like a hot and cold Christmas dinner buffet but it t'wasnt the same. Then in India my Aunty booked caterers to come to our villa and cook us our Christmas dinner but it t'was curry and rice and it REALLY wasn't the same.

Gusto Brunt
20-12-2015, 10:17 AM

I went out for Christmas dinner ten years ago and it was terrible.

I usually have 6 Yorkshire puds on my plate. :eeK; but at this eatery I was only given ONE Yorskire pudding. Also, the turkey tasted rotten. The gravy too thick. And the onions were those horrible diced ones you can buy from Iceland.

The carrots also looked like they had been bought frozen.

Never again. And it cost £12 a head.:nono:

Denver
20-12-2015, 10:28 AM
The whole point of Xmas day is to stay in all day cook all morning have dinner about 1pm clean up sit down and fall a sleep watching whatever film BBC have on wake up have your pudding and sit down and watch telly for the rest of the night while getting pissed

Glenn.
20-12-2015, 12:15 PM
No I have never had Christmas dinner outside of my home and I never will.

Will.
20-12-2015, 12:21 PM
I think the only reason were having it out is my mum is fed up with the kitchen.

The previous owners of the house built another room in the kitchen but didn't build it next to where the actual kitchen is lol, they put it at the other end.

It was a nightmare when 2 people were cooking in there last year, they were on the verge of killing each other.

But next year we start work on making the kitchen bigger, so should be at home for Christmas next year.

DemolitionRed
20-12-2015, 12:45 PM
Geez...I'm really looking forward to having everything done for us. Too much of Xmas day is spent in the kitchen for my liking. I've wanted to do this for years and so I'm determined to have a great time.

For those who have already done Xmas dinner in a restaurant, what sort of tip do you leave?

Cherie
20-12-2015, 02:08 PM
Geez...I'm really looking forward to having everything done for us. Too much of Xmas day is spent in the kitchen for my liking. I've wanted to do this for years and so I'm determined to have a great time.

For those who have already done Xmas dinner in a restaurant, what sort of tip do you leave?

I'm looking forward to that too! Tip really will depend on the service , 10 per cent seems fair enough

Samuel.
20-12-2015, 02:14 PM
Not having one. Turkey is crap anyway.

Would rather go to a restaurant if I had the choice.

armand.kay
20-12-2015, 02:24 PM
Any notion that involves me leaving my house on Christmas Day gets rejected instantly.

smudgie
20-12-2015, 02:30 PM
Been for big Xmas family dinners at upstairs room in pub, but not on Xmas day, still gave presents out and we had the table next to the big Xmas tree so if was lovely and festive.
Personally you can't beat Christmas Day at home.
I am sneaking on here while the family are doing their own thing for a while..but today is our official family Christmas Day as daughter is home from down south.
Turkey is cooking, beef is cooked, Yorkies are mixed and in the oven, the veg are more or less organised so is feet up and attack the chocolates all afternoon.
I suppose it makes no difference if you go to a restaurant etc, you will still have some time in the day for Christmas at home.:cheer2:

DemolitionRed
20-12-2015, 02:31 PM
I'm looking forward to that too! Tip really will depend on the service , 10 per cent seems fair enough

Ok thanks! There's five of us so that's a tenner each.

DemolitionRed
20-12-2015, 02:35 PM
I suppose it makes no difference if you go to a restaurant etc, you will still have some time in the day for Christmas at home.:cheer2:

We won't because we are staying at the hotel. The good news is, the spa is open on boxing day and some of us are booked in for a full body massage.

Happy Xmas day today to you and yours by the way :laugh:
We are having a full on Xmas day on the Wed after Xmas when we go to Bristol to visit extended family.

Mitchell
20-12-2015, 02:35 PM
I did it once when we went to Butlins, didn't like it

Niamh.
20-12-2015, 03:18 PM
Any notion that involves me leaving my house on Christmas Day gets rejected instantly.

Same :laugh: I actually love cooking on Christmas Day

lostalex
20-12-2015, 03:53 PM
maybe this is just an American tradition, but i know that jews love chinese restaurants on christmas.

Because i'm a lonely gay guy whose family is all on the east coast, i have ordered chinese delivery on christmas. that kinda makes me an honorary jew.

It's my understanding that also chinese people love having latkes and gefilte fish on New Year's eve.

smudgie
20-12-2015, 10:38 PM
We won't because we are staying at the hotel. The good news is, the spa is open on boxing day and some of us are booked in for a full body massage.

Happy Xmas day today to you and yours by the way :laugh:
We are having a full on Xmas day on the Wed after Xmas when we go to Bristol to visit extended family.

Well DR, sounds like you have hit the jackpot this Christmas.
Who would say no to such pampering? Sounds like a good bit of fun on the menu. Have a fantastic time.
Ours went great, I sat in my directors chair, in view of the kitchen...and certainly within hearing distance, I managed to organise 1 husband and 2 adult kids to make a lovely Christmas dinner. Better still, loads extra was made so a good fry up for tea tomorrow, no cooking again.:cheer2: