PDA

View Full Version : Big Brother: The Inside Story [Book About BBUK]

Headie
30-12-2015, 06:31 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41bgpwoDXyL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Does anyone else have this book? I got it for Xmas and it's a really interesting read. It was written by Narinder and she interviewed loads of housemates about why they auditioned, what the audition process was like, the talk of doom, going in the house, life in the house, eviction, first week outside the house, going back to normal life etc. It was published just before BB8 aired (so after the racism scandal)

I've only read the first few chapters so far but lots of interesting facts are already in it.

Lea was chosen for BB6 but ultimately didn't go in because producers found out she had filmed bits for a cosmetic surgery show. She only applied because she thought BB4 was boring and she could do better :laugh: Producers asked her back for BB7 and she felt like she wasn't being assessed as much as other auditionees in her group and that producers had already pre-selected her to go in.

Derek only auditioned because he noticed more people paying to vote on reality shows and less people voting for free to choose the government.

Sam (BB6) went to the open auditions in orange hot pants and it was the morning after a one night stand with a "shag buddy" from uni :laugh:

Brian Dowling almost applied for BB1 but his family talked him out of it.

Kate Lawler only auditioned because her sister was a superfan and convinced her to audition. Kate and Jade Goody were in the same group at the auditions and Kate remembered thinking that Jade was loud and obnoxious and hoped that they weren't put in the house together :laugh:

Alex Sibley only auditioned to try and book more modelling jobs and he'd never seen the show before.

Emma Greenwood pretended to be thicker than she was to get the attention of producers.

Nadia almost applied for BB1 but didn't because the application form was 25 pages, so she only applied once open auditions started (in BB5). She watched all the series before hers.

Anthony was a superfan and had seen every series so that's why he auditioned.

Kinga only auditioned to try and boost her singing career.

Melanie sent a video tape in whilst working abroad.

Sophie Pritchard hadn't seen any Big Brother series before and when she got the call to go in midway she hadn't seen any of the series either.

Richard had watched all the BBUK series and BBUS series at the time, and was chosen for the guinea pig trial run in Big Brother 6.

Makosi only applied because she'd had an awful shift at the hospital one night and one patient pooed down her leg :laugh: They asked her to go in the guinea pig house for BB6 and she said "absolutely not, you get me for the real thing or not at all. I am not a guinea pig. Makosi is not a guinea pig person."

Headie
30-12-2015, 06:32 PM
It's really interesting, I'll try and keep this thread updated with interesting facts the more I read of the book. Definitely recommend it!

Pete.
30-12-2015, 06:35 PM
Yeah I've read bits of it (especially the Emma stuff) and it seems really interesting - keep us posted!

Pete.
30-12-2015, 06:36 PM
Nadia almost applied for BB1 but didn't because the application form was 25 pages,

:flutter:

Pete.
30-12-2015, 06:37 PM
I am not a guinea pig. Makosi is not a guinea pig person.

LukeB
30-12-2015, 06:39 PM
Makosi only applied because she'd had an awful shift at the hospital one night and one patient pooed down her leg

:joker: omg

Cal.
30-12-2015, 06:43 PM
Emma Greenwood pretended to be thicker than she was to get the attention of producers.

Intelligent calculating queen!

Jason.
30-12-2015, 06:49 PM
I'll buy ha

Headie
30-12-2015, 06:51 PM
Intelligent calculating queen!

She actually is! She said she knew she wasn't academic-smart but was streetwise and used it to her advantage. Like, instead of being loud in the queue to get the attention of producers, instead she complimented one of them on their shoes, pretend she needed the loo because "Man United were playing" (aka her period) and then used her mobile phone in the auditions on purpose pretending to ring her mum even though phones were banned. She knew producers were closely watching her and called her back that same night.

Is it good? I might consider buying it.

Yeah it's really good! It really gives you a whole new insight into Big Brother tbh.

Cal.
30-12-2015, 06:53 PM
She actually is! She said she knew she was academic-smart but was streetwise and used it to her advantage. Like, instead of being loud in the queue to get the attention of producers, instead she complimented one of them on their shoes, pretend she needed the loo because "Man United were playing" (aka her period) and then used her mobile phone in the auditions on purpose pretending to ring her mum even though phones were banned. She knew producers were closely watching her and called her back that same night.

What a clever gal<333

Jason.
30-12-2015, 06:55 PM
Emma being high-IQ Jade Goodier <333

Samm
30-12-2015, 06:57 PM
Lol @ Nadia

Headie
30-12-2015, 06:58 PM
Oh and Eugene only auditioned because he was waiting in the car to pick his friend's girlfriend up from the auditions and decided to audition instead of sitting there waiting.

Jason.
30-12-2015, 06:58 PM
She actually is! She said she knew she wasn't academic-smart but was streetwise and used it to her advantage. Like, instead of being loud in the queue to get the attention of producers, instead she complimented one of them on their shoes, pretend she needed the loo because "Man United were playing" (aka her period) and then used her mobile phone in the auditions on purpose pretending to ring her mum even though phones were banned. She knew producers were closely watching her and called her back that same night.

Yeah it's really good! It really gives you a whole new insight into Big Brother tbh.

Thanks. I've heard about the book before, but I just presumed it had basic information I already knew so didn't really bother with it, but it sounds quite interesting from what you've said. I'll get it as a self-birthday present :laugh:

Pete.
30-12-2015, 07:02 PM
Oh and Eugene only auditioned because he was waiting in the car to pick his friend's girlfriend up from the auditions and decided to audition instead of sitting there waiting.
:rolleyes:

Jason.
30-12-2015, 07:05 PM
There's also a Big Brother 6 book which I might purchase as well.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Big-Brother-Official-Book-Exclusive/dp/1905026080/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1451505917&sr=8-1&keywords=Big+Brother+6

Pete.
30-12-2015, 07:08 PM
That looks good :clap1:

Jason.
30-12-2015, 07:13 PM
It comes with a Diary Room Uncut DVD as well <33

Headie
31-12-2015, 11:37 AM
Makosi's quote about the Talk of Doom made me laugh:

"My answer to that is that there had never been a Makosi Big Brother. I am the first Makosi on Big Brother. What I've gone through could only have happened to me. So Jade being called a pig could only have happened to Jade and not me, because I don't look like a pig."

Firewire
31-12-2015, 12:01 PM
Can we send this book to channel 5 to help them understand the social experiment aspect please

MB.
31-12-2015, 12:02 PM
I don't think anyone at Channel 5 can read

Firewire
31-12-2015, 12:04 PM
I don't think anyone at Channel 5 can read

AJ being unable to read the autocue shade?

Jarrod
31-12-2015, 12:10 PM
I've got the books from BB1,3,4 and the BB6 book and I'd highly recommend them all. The BB6 book is a weekly look back with interviews with everyone and a DVD with three DR uncut episodes.

Headie
31-12-2015, 12:26 PM
Omg Amma said on the morning of the launch she smoked some weed to relax and hid it all in her bra before dumping it so producers wouldn't find it :joker:

Jason.
31-12-2015, 12:28 PM
I've got the books from BB1,3,4 and the BB6 book and I'd highly recommend them all. The BB6 book is a weekly look back with interviews with everyone and a DVD with three DR uncut episodes.

That's interesting. I ordered it last night alongside Narinder's book. Really looking forwards to the interviews with the HM's and that DR Uncut DVD :lovedup:

Headie
31-12-2015, 12:45 PM
Nadia told producers she wanted to be the last one in <3

Producers wouldn't allow Makosi to see a hairdresser on launch night so she demanded that they give her a hairdresser or she wouldn't enter the house. They had to tell the hairdresser that she was an extra for Eastenders so they didn't suspect she was a housemate. And the orange launch night dress was a last minute replacement for another dress that got ripped.

Jarrod
31-12-2015, 01:07 PM
That's interesting. I ordered it last night alongside Narinder's book. Really looking forwards to the interviews with the HM's and that DR Uncut DVD :lovedup:

You'll love it! I read it all in one day because you get so hooked on seeing what happened each week in depth. As well as that it has behind the scenes stuff on how the House was made, live shows and all that.

Jason.
31-12-2015, 01:12 PM
You'll love it! I read it all in one day because you get so hooked on seeing what happened each week in depth. As well as that it has behind the scenes stuff on how the House was made, live shows and all that.

omg :flutter:

Even the cover of the book (I mean it's just the BB6 eye) but still <33

Samm
31-12-2015, 01:38 PM

Producers wouldn't allow Makosi to see a hairdresser on launch night so she demanded that they give her a hairdresser or she wouldn't enter the house. They had to tell the hairdresser that she was an extra for Eastenders so they didn't suspect she was a housemate. And the orange launch night dress was a last minute replacement for another dress that got ripped.

I wanna know the other dress

Jason.
31-12-2015, 01:47 PM
I'm going to stay away from this thread as I don't want anymore spoilers once I get the book :hehe:

Ross.
31-12-2015, 01:47 PM

I love how they went to all that effort to keep up the secrecy with the hairdresser thing, but nowadays even we actually see the housemates getting their hair done/make-up etc before they even come out of the eye (BB16 launch I'm talking about here). They don't even bother to try and keep housemates a secret now. :laugh2:

T*
31-12-2015, 02:01 PM
Can you get it for kindle??

T*
31-12-2015, 02:04 PM
It's on the kindle but it's £9 goodbye

Jason.
31-12-2015, 02:08 PM
I ordered it on Amazon for like £2.25

T*
31-12-2015, 02:10 PM
I want all the books :sad: I love stuff like it

T*
31-12-2015, 02:10 PM
I ordered it on Amazon for like £2.25

was it used??

Jason.
31-12-2015, 02:15 PM
was it used??

Nope. But I think I nipped the last cheapest new copy. The rest are like £4+ (which is still reasonable)

The Narinder book is used though (only because the new copies go from £7+) so I got it for 1p but p+p is like £2.80

Babayaro.
31-12-2015, 02:40 PM
I might buy this, also the BB6 one. Are they on Amazon?

Jason.
31-12-2015, 03:21 PM
I might but this, also the BB6 one. Are they on Amazon?

Yeah. I ordered both the BB6 one and Narinder's one last night.

Headie
02-01-2016, 12:28 PM
Another interesting I've read so far is that Sophie (BB3) said her time in the house was ruined because Jade bullied her and constantly bitched about her. Kate also said she felt Jade was a bully in BB3 and wasn't surprised by the way she acted in CBB. She says that everyone could tell Jade was jealous of Sophie and isolated her from the house and even shouted "fake f'ing bitch" when Sophie was walking up the stairs and got evicted.

Victor's immediate dislike of Emma came from the very first night when Emma called him the N word as a joke, but producers never aired any of it. Emma said she thought she would've bonded with Victor because she grew up "in the ghetto" and around lots of black people and they called each other custard and the N word as a joke. But Victor was educated privately and had a lawyer and doctor for parents so they really had nothing in common.

Jason.
08-01-2016, 10:51 PM
I ordered this book last week and it arrived in the mail a few days ago on my birthday. I started reading it two days ago and I'm hooked. It's really interesting and you find out quite a lot about the pre-show experience and why people wanted to go on the show in the first place. It also interviews some of the psychologists too and Phil Edgar Jones.

Jason.
08-01-2016, 10:54 PM
Emma saying the producers took out the fuse of the TV in her hotel room when she was in hiding so she couldn't be able to watch TV and when they left her room, she just inserted the TV into the kettle fuse so she could be able to watch TV whilst she was in hiding :joker:

<33

Pete.
08-01-2016, 10:55 PM
Emma so intelligent :clap1:

Pete.
08-01-2016, 10:56 PM
Another interesting I've read so far is that Sophie (BB3) said her time in the house was ruined because Jade bullied her and constantly bitched about her. Kate also said she felt Jade was a bully in BB3 and wasn't surprised by the way she acted in CBB. She says that everyone could tell Jade was jealous of Sophie and isolated her from the house and even shouted "fake f'ing bitch" when Sophie was walking up the stairs and got evicted.

Yeah I thought Jade was savage

Victor's immediate dislike of Emma came from the very first night when Emma called him the N word as a joke, but producers never aired any of it. Emma said she thought she would've bonded with Victor because she grew up "in the ghetto" and around lots of black people and they called each other custard and the N word as a joke. But Victor was educated privately and had a lawyer and doctor for parents so they really had nothing in common.

Oh

Jason.
08-01-2016, 10:58 PM
Also I'm not sure if Hayden mentioned this, but Lea applied to be on BB5 because she thought BB4 was boring and that she could do better but she was turned away because she had just been in a program about cosmetic surgery prior to applying, and she applied for BB6 but she was turned down again. But then she was called to be in BB7 and she skipped most of the audition rounds for BB7 as the producers had already known her from previous auditions.

<3

Jason.
08-01-2016, 11:01 PM
Also a few housemates mention how they had to go abroad for hiding before entering the house. Richard (BB7) said he was in hiding in Belgum for two weeks.

It's funny how big of a deal hiding was even ten years ago and that most of them had to go to different countries whilst in hiding so the papers wouldn't know who was going in. Nowadays, they probably go into hiding like 3 days before the series starts and it's probably in a local hotel near the BB house. By then, they'd know everything such as the theme of the series, the eye, etc. I miss the old days :sad:

Jason.
11-01-2016, 10:46 PM
Been reading more of this and it's really fascinating. I'm over halfway now.

Lea feels she was edited really badly. She said she was annoyed at how she came across as she was portrayed to be this crying, paranoid, mess who cried all the time and was obsessed with Pete. Realistically, it wasn't like that and she only cried like 5% of the time and she thought she was mates with Pete but they edited her in a way to make her out like she was jealous of Pete and Nikki, when she wasn't. Pete and Richard were surprised to see how badly she'd been edited once they came out of the house.

Also a few facts about Fight Night

Emma said Nadia slapped Vanessa.

Also Emma was kept in the bedsit after Fight Night for 3 days and 3 nights. And BB kept telling her she was going to go back into the house, but they kept her in day after day, and kept telling her she was going to re-enter, but ten hours later she'd still be in the bedsit and hear nothing. And then they gave her Tesco Value beans and 1p crisps to live on whilst she was in the Bedsit. And she could hear all the housemates forming bonds and making up the day after Fight Night, through the ventilators. And Emma said she felt like crap as she couldn't be apart of it and speak to people and make up with them. And then the psychologists would call Emma and she'd say she didn't need a psychologist just fresh air and someone to talk to. And then a day later they give her a DVD of her choice to watch and a Pot Noodle. And then after the film on the same night, she had a panic attack and couldn't breath and kept gasping for them to let her out of the Bedsit and then fifteen minutes later the producers kick the door down and Emma's on the floor gasping asking for them to get her out and she couldn't breathe and then producers stroked her face and said "Emma we're sorry, we're so sorry". And then Emma's mother came down to the studio with a lawyer and watched the footage back and saw what wasn't shown and she said she wanted Victor arrested as he had a knife out and she was annoyed at how Emma was taking all the flack for it. And then the producers said they'll help Emma when she comes out by giving her singing lessons, on TV shows and when Emma came out of the house she wanted to keep the peace with Endemol and thought they'd help her in a big way, but they didn't.

Victor also states that if Emma was a man, he would've battered her with a frying pan.

LukeB
11-01-2016, 10:50 PM
Emma </3 I did not know any of this :worry:

Jason.
11-01-2016, 10:51 PM
Also, Richard stated that he didn't think Pete deserved to win and said he should've won as he had to put up with the most in the house with the Plastics all bad-mouthing him. He also said all the Plastics ever spoke about was the magazine deals and the red-carpet premieres they'd get invited to once they'd leave the house. Richard said Grace was the worst as she'd name drop about all the celebrities she knew and how far her connections would make her go on the outside world.

Jason.
11-01-2016, 10:58 PM
Both Lea and Richard also stated Shahbaz's treatment was edited in a way that made it seem worse than it did.

Richard said he didn't bully him, but he admitted to isolating him as in the house, it's harder because on the outside you can walk away from somebody you dislike whereas in the house you couldn't so isolating him was his only choice.

Lea said they'd made out Richard bullied Shahbaz but it was far from the truth and that they were protecting Shahbaz and didn't show how bad Shahbaz really was. She said he'd go from crying to the camera one minute to standing up and laughing about it the next.

Lostie!
11-01-2016, 11:00 PM
Both Lea and Richard also stated Shahbaz's treatment was edited in a way that made it seem worse than it did.

Richard said he didn't bully him, but he admitted to isolating him as in the house, it's harder because on the outside you can walk away from somebody you dislike whereas in the house you couldn't so isolating him was his only choice.

Lea said they'd made out Richard bullied Shahbaz but it was far from the truth and that they were protecting Shahbaz and didn't show how bad Shahbaz really was. She said he'd go from crying to the camera one minute to standing up and laughing about it the next.

Probably because he was clearly mentally unwell. They really need to quit justifying that sorry situation.

Jason.
11-01-2016, 11:01 PM
Probably because he was clearly mentally unwell. They really need to quit justifying that sorry situation.

Oh yeah and about that. Richard said he spent hours in the DR convincing them to remove him from the house as he was clearly mentally unstable to cope :laugh:

Jason.
11-01-2016, 11:02 PM
Not you paying dust to my long Emma BB5 write-up

T*
12-01-2016, 04:36 PM
Been reading more of this and it's really fascinating. I'm over halfway now.

Lea feels she was edited really badly. She said she was annoyed at how she came across as she was portrayed to be this crying, paranoid, mess who cried all the time and was obsessed with Pete. Realistically, it wasn't like that and she only cried like 5% of the time and she thought she was mates with Pete but they edited her in a way to make her out like she was jealous of Pete and Nikki, when she wasn't. Pete and Richard were surprised to see how badly she'd been edited once they came out of the house.

Also a few facts about Fight Night

Emma said Nadia slapped Vanessa.

Also Emma was kept in the bedsit after Fight Night for 3 days and 3 nights. And BB kept telling her she was going to go back into the house, but they kept her in day after day, and kept telling her she was going to re-enter, but ten hours later she'd still be in the bedsit and hear nothing. And then they gave her Tesco Value beans and 1p crisps to live on whilst she was in the Bedsit. And she could hear all the housemates forming bonds and making up the day after Fight Night, through the ventilators. And Emma said she felt like crap as she couldn't be apart of it and speak to people and make up with them. And then the psychologists would call Emma and she'd say she didn't need a psychologist just fresh air and someone to talk to. And then a day later they give her a DVD of her choice to watch and a Pot Noodle. And then after the film on the same night, she had a panic attack and couldn't breath and kept gasping for them to let her out of the Bedsit and then fifteen minutes later the producers kick the door down and Emma's on the floor gasping asking for them to get her out and she couldn't breathe and then producers stroked her face and said "Emma we're sorry, we're so sorry". And then Emma's mother came down to the studio with a lawyer and watched the footage back and saw what wasn't shown and she said she wanted Victor arrested as he had a knife out and she was annoyed at how Emma was taking all the flack for it. And then the producers said they'll help Emma when she comes out by giving her singing lessons, on TV shows and when Emma came out of the house she wanted to keep the peace with Endemol and thought they'd help her in a big way, but they didn't.

Victor also states that if Emma was a man, he would've battered her with a frying pan.

That is ****ing mental
It sounds like something out of dead set

Jason.
12-01-2016, 04:37 PM
That is ****ing mental
It sounds like something out of dead set

:joker:

Jason.
12-01-2016, 05:10 PM
I'm on the chapter where people are talking about their first week outside the house and it just shows how big the show was in how they all made quite a lot of money from magazine deals and interview (no wonder why fame-hungry people apply to be on the show)

Alex BB3 said he made £80,000 from OK the day after he came out of the house - more than the £70,000 prize fund. He said the more he'd slag Kate off, the more they paid him. And he said that if he looked like PJ, he never would've have made that much money :laugh:

Kate BB3 was offered big deals from The Sun and News of the World, like a seven-day deal where you'd sell your soul but she turned them all down as she had won £70,000 and couldn't be bothered and just wanted to go home. She said however, Jade did them.

Emma made £25,000 for her story on Fight Night. And she was offered £50,000 to go topless, but turned it down as it wasn't for her, and that was the last she'd heard of Endemol.

Unlike most HM's did after leaving the house, Derek did not sign to a PR company and only had 1 interview with the Sun for £15,000 and that was it. Derek also says that David Cameron rang him up after leaving the house to ask him to join his leadership campaign.

Sam BB6 signed a deal with News of the World for £15,000 and Nuts Magazine for £10,000.

Headie
12-01-2016, 05:28 PM
I think you're just up to the bit I'm up to now. It's a great read isn't it? :flutter:

Jason.
12-01-2016, 05:52 PM
I think you're just up to the bit I'm up to now. It's a great read isn't it? :flutter:

Yeah, I love it. :amazed:

zakman440
21-03-2016, 12:42 AM
I've just brought this, the Big Brother 1 book & the Big Brother 6 book - I'm looking forward to getting them!

Mystic Mock
21-03-2016, 01:45 AM
Also, Richard stated that he didn't think Pete deserved to win and said he should've won as he had to put up with the most in the house with the Plastics all bad-mouthing him. He also said all the Plastics ever spoke about was the magazine deals and the red-carpet premieres they'd get invited to once they'd leave the house. Richard said Grace was the worst as she'd name drop about all the celebrities she knew and how far her connections would make her go on the outside world.

His being ever original there I see.

We heard him going on about this 50 million times on the ****ing highlights.

Can he talk about anything else?

Rob!
21-03-2016, 01:54 AM
I've had this book for ages - it's so good :clap1:

The bit about them locking Emma in the bedsit for days on end were horrible and tbh quite ****ing believable. People may say how amazing BB was in those days (and it was) but it was ****ing dark behind the scenes. The producers did not give two ****s about the housemates welfare whatsoever.

Headie
16-07-2016, 10:49 PM
Everyone go buy this book :clap1:

Cal.
16-07-2016, 10:53 PM
I got this book the other day and I'm loving it so far :clap1:

Hayden/Jason have pretty much covered everything in the book so I won't repeat anything.