PDA

View Full Version : motivation to stay on track

mizzy25
17-02-2016, 10:43 AM
I seem to constantly be on a diet. Before xmas I lost 9lb simply by cutting down on crap like chocolate (im a chocoholic) crisps etc. Since xmas however I cant seem to get motivated to get back into it and have prob put the 9lb back on. I generally do a couple of classes a week, but hurt my back last mon so haven't done nowt and have ate loads of crap.
My question is if you are trying to lose weight, what motivates you? keeps you going?
Do you go to a slimming class? Do you get motivated if you can see the 1lbs coming off?
Do you have an event like a holiday or a wedding to aim for?
Needing some motivation here lol

Josy
17-02-2016, 10:48 AM
I personally think the first mistake your making Miz is being stuck in the mentality that your 'on a diet', scrap those thoughts and just aim to get into a routine of eating more healthy food.

For motivation why not give yourself little rewards (not food related) but say for example every 5lbs you lose treat yourself to something nice like clothes?

That way you get some motivation, get something to look forward to and if it's clothes you end up with a lovely new wardrobe.

Jords
17-02-2016, 10:54 AM
A big motivation for me is to imagine putting on all the weight I managed to lose/lose the tone (ish) you managed to get after all that work. Another is thinking of the complements you get and how much better you look and feel now than before. For me comparing photos of myself now to past photos really encourages me!

If you put back on, lets say, 3lbs, dont think "oh well **** it" and continue the bad pattern - use it to gain motivation! Also remember, its not all about actual weight, think of the inches, health impact etc.

The best thing to do is make exercise a habitual behaviour - set yourself a weekly goal - for me its 3 x week for 1 hour or a little more - this could be 2 classes a week for you to start. If you dont manage it one week - make up for it the week after! And remember "weight loss" is 70% diet / 30% exercise.

Good luck :D

Jords
17-02-2016, 11:05 AM
I personally think the first mistake your making Miz is being stuck in the mentality that your 'on a diet', scrap those thoughts and just aim to get into a routine of eating more healthy food.

For motivation why not give yourself little rewards (not food related) but say for example every 5lbs you lose treat yourself to something nice like clothes?

That way you get some motivation, get something to look forward to and if it's clothes you end up with a lovely new wardrobe.

:worship:

Increase protein and healthy fat intake
- meat, fish, eggs, nuts, avacado, some cheese, beans etc.

Decrease "simple" carb intake
- bread, rice, pasta, chips etc.

Decrease sugar intake
- drinks, chocolate (dark is fine), pastry etc.

"Complex" carbs are a good source of energy
- fruit & veg (3 veg:2 fruit for 5 a day), wholemeal bread/rice/pasta

Look for alternates e.g. sweet potato over potato, cauliflower rice over white rice, healthier oils

And remember - treat yourself!!!!! :D

Niamh.
17-02-2016, 11:13 AM

Decrease sugar intake

Look for alternates e.g. sweet potato over potato, cauliflower rice over white rice, healthier oils

:omgno:

Jords
17-02-2016, 11:15 AM
I love it its likes a little desert on my main course plate :joker:

esp. sweet potato fries :amazed:

Niamh.
17-02-2016, 11:16 AM

Sweet and savoury is a big no no for me, i hate sweet potato. I've never heard of Cauliflower Rice though, sounds interesting

Amy Jade
17-02-2016, 11:20 AM
When I was dieting I used to buy something I like in a smaller size and then that's my goal and it motivates me.

I think a lot of it has to be that you enjoy the diet food, it's useless going on a diet and hating the food because you'll just put the lost weight back on when you go back to food you like.

mizzy25
17-02-2016, 07:14 PM

have just got rid of 7 black bin bags full of old clothes so swore I wasn't going to buy anymore this year lol but I totally get where your coming from x

mizzy25
17-02-2016, 07:17 PM
A big motivation for me is to imagine putting on all the weight I managed to lose/lose the tone (ish) you managed to get after all that work. Another is thinking of the complements you get and how much better you look and feel now than before. For me comparing photos of myself now to past photos really encourages me!

If you put back on, lets say, 3lbs, dont think "oh well **** it" and continue the bad pattern - use it to gain motivation! Also remember, its not all about actual weight, think of the inches, health impact etc.

The best thing to do is make exercise a habitual behaviour - set yourself a weekly goal - for me its 3 x week for 1 hour or a little more - this could be 2 classes a week for you to start. If you dont manage it one week - make up for it the week after! And remember "weight loss" is 70% diet / 30% exercise.

Good luck :D

hi I was thinking about doing the photo thing. One of my friends tells me I never look any differnet if ive lost or not I always just look the same lol I do loads of exercize, I have 6 dogs all needing diff walks so I walk at the least 5 miles every day (norm more) I do a kettlbell class and a zumba class when my back isn't sore. Have tried the inches thing but I never seemed to lose many although my shape changed weirdly lol
Might try the pic thing though

mizzy25
17-02-2016, 07:19 PM

Decrease sugar intake

I am a very fussy eater, but I also need to be careful with fibre as I have crohns disease and too much fibre makes it worse. I know I need to cut out the crap.

mizzy25
17-02-2016, 07:19 PM

have never had a sweet potato keep meaning to try but haven't got round to it.

mizzy25
17-02-2016, 07:21 PM
When I was dieting I used to buy something I like in a smaller size and then that's my goal and it motivates me.

I think a lot of it has to be that you enjoy the diet food, it's useless going on a diet and hating the food because you'll just put the lost weight back on when you go back to food you like.

yeai got this lovely dress to wear over xmas (after id lost the 9lb) however I didn't get a smaller size I had to get a size bigger as it was a like a body con and was skin tight in my actual size. However I did feel fantastic in the dress and got loads of compliments off my friends, even got chatted up by a very young lad ha ha ha yeah it was xmas and he was drunk but it was all a very good ego boost lol

Cherie
17-02-2016, 07:54 PM
Agree with Josy you need to stop dieting or if you do diet set yourself a realistic goal say to lose the 9 lbs in two months then when you reach the weight you want think of it as healthy eating rather than dieting, if you do over eat one day just enjoy it and get back on track the next day no one loses or puts on weight by over or under eating for one day.

mizzy25
17-02-2016, 07:59 PM
I wasn't really dieting as such when I lost the 9lb I just cut down on junk which I eat a lot of. 4 bars of chocolate a day 3 bags of crisps etc. maybe diet was the wrong word. need motivating to stop eating crap lol

Cherie
17-02-2016, 08:15 PM
I wasn't really dieting as such when I lost the 9lb I just cut down on junk which I eat a lot of. 4 bars of chocolate a day 3 bags of crisps etc. maybe diet was the wrong word. need motivating to stop eating crap lol

I think this time of year it's easy to eat crap, maybe cut down gradually as that is a lot of rubbish :eek:

mizzy25
17-02-2016, 08:17 PM
I eat even when Im not hungry. I do it out of habit and boredom. For instance right now im thinking of the bag of malteser bunnies im gonna have in about half an hour and the crisps lol and im not even hungry is just habit and greed lol

LeatherTrumpet
17-02-2016, 09:01 PM
stop dieting and just eat less

jesus h christ

research, research, research

mizzy25
17-02-2016, 09:23 PM

jesus h christ

yes I get all of the above what im asking for is motivation to put it into practice lol

Cherie
17-02-2016, 09:31 PM

jesus h christ

Don't shout at Mizzy you brute :nono:

Jords
17-02-2016, 09:38 PM
haha sorry health/food/exercise is an increasingly big interest of mine!

hi I was thinking about doing the photo thing. One of my friends tells me I never look any differnet if ive lost or not I always just look the same lol I do loads of exercize, I have 6 dogs all needing diff walks so I walk at the least 5 miles every day (norm more) I do a kettlbell class and a zumba class when my back isn't sore. Have tried the inches thing but I never seemed to lose many although my shape changed weirdly lol
Might try the pic thing though

Those who see you regularly wont see much of a difference - its those who havnt seen you for months at a time! You might be burning fat and building muscle and therefore noticing little change :spin:

I am a very fussy eater, but I also need to be careful with fibre as I have crohns disease and too much fibre makes it worse. I know I need to cut out the crap.

aw bless you!

have never had a sweet potato keep meaning to try but haven't got round to it.

:love: :love: :love:

Vicky.
17-02-2016, 09:51 PM
I wish I knew the trick. I'm getting married in a month and I really need to lose some weight (though no-one will agree with me...I hate that) beforehand. Especially as we are going away right after and I'm already paranoid about my gigantic 'keyhole surgery' scars that take up most of my stomach. Don't wanna be paranoid about wobbly bits too :laugh:

I tend to lose weight fast by eating junk food. I know that sounds mental but its true. Say I have a few bags of crisps instead of dinner...I lose weight like crazy. I guess its coz even 4 bags of crisps is only 400calories where a meal would be like 800 or so.

Maybe time to break open a few multipacks and live on junk for the next month :laugh:

Kizzy
17-02-2016, 09:56 PM

I totally agree with Josy, and with the dog walking and training you can't afford to be missing out on good energy packed foods, lean protein and complex carbs, how about nutty snacks? they'd be good :)

Kizzy
17-02-2016, 09:57 PM
I wish I knew the trick. I'm getting married in a month and I really need to lose some weight (though no-one will agree with me...I hate that) beforehand. Especially as we are going away right after and I'm already paranoid about my gigantic 'keyhole surgery' scars that take up most of my stomach. Don't wanna be paranoid about wobbly bits too :laugh:

I tend to lose weight fast by eating junk food. I know that sounds mental but its true. Say I have a few bags of crisps instead of dinner...I lose weight like crazy. I guess its coz even 4 bags of crisps is only 400calories where a meal would be like 800 or so.

Maybe time to break open a few multipacks and live on junk for the next month :laugh:

* slaps vickys legs*

Vicky.
17-02-2016, 10:00 PM
* slaps vickys legs*

Steady on. They won't stop wobbling til bedtime now :facepalm:

Ammi
18-02-2016, 05:22 AM
..I agree with Josy, Mizzy..diet in itself suggests depriving of, rather than a positive of eating healthily as a lifestyle because it is all positive to do that and depriving is negative...I think it's also something that we find our own motivation for, maybe it's to fit into a dress size, a special occasion..whatever personal feel good/goal and sense of personal achievement for that person and a huge thing about it as well is not just reaching that goal but then to maintain it, which is why really also, it's less thinking diet and more looking at a lifestyle of eating..the less chocolate/crisps etc are part of every day, the less they'll be missed when you're not eating them but if you do have cravings for them, then have them but more an occasional treat..don't 'deprive' completely...I can understand that it probably makes you feel a bit dis-heartened and fed up if people don't comment on weight losses/the ones you've had in the past...obviously it's lovely when people do notice these things and comment...but it would be a lovely feeling of the moment, I think...and not a motivation thing, which would be for your own reasons and for your own personal feel good...and people lose weight in different ways/bodies are different so it's not always so apparent to someone else, when however many pounds are lost...friends have always said to me that they don't do scales when they've dieted but more how their clothes fit on them..that's something as well...

...you're fairly active anyway and I think other than the chocolate/crisps..(and when your back gets better..)...to try to replace with something more healthy, you're fairly much on track...sorry to hear about your back btw, back pains are the worst, I hope that feels better soon..:hug:..

mizzy25
19-02-2016, 09:17 PM
so just got out the bath earlier and looked in the full length mirror jeez I look about 9 months pregnant lol went to take a pic but me camera needs charged. got weighed that was a shock, but il go to town on mon to get that little ticket. I have a plan of action from then u see lol start mon as im out tommoro night and sun will b craving junk food and stodge so mon im off. get me little ticket and then will go back in a months time exactly and get another little ticket and hopefully I may have lost half a stone by easter. I want to lose about a stone altogether and this time keep it off. Ammi pointless me doing it by my clothes.... I live in trackies lol 7 pairs of grey trackies when I was sorting me wardrobe out the other week. 9 white vest top, 5 black vest tops and 7 yup 7 pairs of grey trackies lol

mizzy25
19-02-2016, 09:18 PM
p.s back still a little sore so may have to miss kettlebells tues for another week but defo plan on zumba thurs so missing me classes.

Ammi
20-02-2016, 03:58 AM
so just got out the bath earlier and looked in the full length mirror jeez I look about 9 months pregnant lol went to take a pic but me camera needs charged. got weighed that was a shock, but il go to town on mon to get that little ticket. I have a plan of action from then u see lol start mon as im out tommoro night and sun will b craving junk food and stodge so mon im off. get me little ticket and then will go back in a months time exactly and get another little ticket and hopefully I may have lost half a stone by easter. I want to lose about a stone altogether and this time keep it off. Ammi pointless me doing it by my clothes.... I live in trackies lol 7 pairs of grey trackies when I was sorting me wardrobe out the other week. 9 white vest top, 5 black vest tops and 7 yup 7 pairs of grey trackies lol

..that sounds like a good practical wardrobe, Mizzy..:laugh:..I know you have that sexy/glam stuff as well though, eh..:wink:..for a night on the toon with the lasses and turning those lad's heads...