PDA

View Full Version : Has Reality TV Gone Too Far?

Kaz
17-02-2002, 11:04 AM
Just spotted this incredible story on Ananova:

Reality TV contestant ends up in hospital after swallowing cow's eye

A contestant on a Norwegian reality TV show had to undergo surgery after eating a cow's eye.

Oystein Berglund suffered serious chest pains when it got stuck as he tried to swallow it. The eye was removed when he was operated on in Cape Town where the show is being filmed.

Berglund told Norwegian newspaper VG: "It was just like eating a squash ball. I thought it would be like eating a steak, but it was impossible to chew.

"I just swallowed and swallowed when something went wrong and I got serious chest pains. After a while, I understood that the eye was stuck on its way down."

Fear Factor's spokeswoman Marianne Melfald told VG it was a particularly tough reality show and contestants had to expect these things to happen when they chose to take part.

Berglund is still in the competition, which is being made in South Africa for TV3 Norway.

As well as eating cockroaches or cows' eyes, contestants also have to be dragged along by galloping horses and spend three minutes in a coffin with rats.
Yuck - how gross. http://www.plauder-smilies.com/sad/scared.gif

At least the worst thing our housemates had to eat was smelly cheese (or perhaps Paul's first attempt at fish pie!) :laugh:

Janette
17-02-2002, 01:14 PM
I think I'll stick with watching 10 strangers living in a house together for 9 weeks.

The other stuff just sounds awful! Those people must be pretty desperate for fame if they want to eat cows eyes and be dragged behind a horse etc...

It sounds like that old Japanese gameshow Endurance :nono:

Feefs
18-02-2002, 10:17 AM
Yuk - that sort of thing on tv just does not appeal to me as good tv. Does anyone remember that section they had on The Word where people would do anything to get on tv?