PDA

View Full Version : Body went into shock from hysteroscopy

DemolitionRed
12-05-2016, 04:22 PM
I've just had a hysteroscopy. This procdure uses a fine telescope called a hysteroscope. It allows your doctor to look into your womb and take a biopsy.
I wasn't warned that I was going to have this done and I was reassured by my gynaecologist that it was a minor procedure that would be nothing more than slightly uncomfortable.

I've got a high pain threshold, even so, I asked that my husband could be with me to hold my hand. I wasn't ready for what was about to happen. It was as though she'd put rotating blade inside me and was drilling her way in. I was crying with the shock of such excruciating pain that seemed to go on forever.

After it was over I couldn't stop crying; I felt like I'd just been brutalized and I felt angry that she hadn't warned me properly of just how awful this procedure is. As I walked through into reception my body broke out into a cold sweat and I felt like I wanted to vomit. My body was going into shock and my husband was shouting for assistance. So they wheeled me off to the recovery room and the nurse that came and sat with me told me, "this isn't uncommon. You are having a Vagus Nerve reaction".

Then the pain started. I recognised that pain and anyone here who's had a baby knows what it feels like to be in the final stages of labour just before you want to push. They've got a fan on me, a sick bowl under my chin and wet cold clothes on my face and I'm doubled over in pain and my entire body shaking uncontrollably.

I'm home now but I can't stop crying at what just happened to me. I've lost all trust for my gynaecologist and will never again believe a doctor telling me a procedure will only be mildly uncomfortable.

If any of you here are offered a hysteroscopy without anaesthetic, I would strongly recommend you ask for it to be done whilst you're asleep.

Mokka
12-05-2016, 04:26 PM
This sounds absolutely horrifying.. I am sorry this happened to you. :(

Cherie
12-05-2016, 04:31 PM
D:sounds awful, that's the thing with the medical profession you take them at their word that they know what they are talking about in situations like this, and you only have knowledge after the event, hope you feel better soon DR

Dollface
12-05-2016, 04:36 PM
Jesus that sounds awful. Like Cherie said, we take doctors at their word, so it's not fair when they say something is only going to be mildly painful - when in actual fact the nurse confirmed that bad reactions are common ...You should have been told that BEFORE they did it to you. Hope you feel better soon.

DemolitionRed
12-05-2016, 05:05 PM
Thank you Mokka, Cherie and Dollface. I'm sitting at home now and my husbands thoroughly spoiling me (Ive got a gooden!)

I wanted to warn women because this is a fairly common procedure. The gynaecologist did say I could have this done under general anaesthetic but recommended I just get it over and done with today because I'm going on holiday on Sat. Whilst I'm not keen on having a GA, in this particular instance, I would highly recommend it. Don't ever let your body be put through this whilst awake.

Mokka
12-05-2016, 05:08 PM
that is some good advice DR... that I wouldn't have known if you hadn't said, so thank you for sharing even though it must have been a bit hard to do so. I appreciate the advice and will remember it always

AnnieK
12-05-2016, 05:26 PM
Jesus...I'm booked in for one on 31st May (been cancelled twice due to the strikes) and had planned to go back into work after. I know it's going to happen though so hopefully won't be so painful for me.

Take care of yourself Red

Vanessa
12-05-2016, 05:27 PM
Jesus...I'm booked in for one on 31st May (been cancelled twice due to the strikes) and had planned to go back into work after. I know it's going to happen though so hopefully won't be so painful for me.

Take care of yourself Red

D:

Vanessa
12-05-2016, 05:27 PM
That sounds awful. Hope you're feeling better :worry:

Kazanne
12-05-2016, 05:31 PM
Thank you Mokka, Cherie and Dollface. I'm sitting at home now and my husbands thoroughly spoiling me (Ive got a gooden!)

I wanted to warn women because this is a fairly common procedure. The gynaecologist did say I could have this done under general anaesthetic but recommended I just get it over and done with today because I'm going on holiday on Sat. Whilst I'm not keen on having a GA, in this particular instance, I would highly recommend it. Don't ever let your body be put through this whilst awake.

Thanks for letting us know DR, at least if any of us are ever faced with that we will be for warned, so sorry you had to go through that , lets hope your hols more than make up for it ,:wavey:

rubymoo
12-05-2016, 05:43 PM
So sorry you had to go through that DR, i hope you recover quickly:hug:

I can empathise with you as i has an endoscopy a couple of years ago and was told it would be mildly uncomfortable, that it would be better to get it over with quickly as possible as i could then return to normal life immediately.....it had to be one of the most traumatic things i've ever experienced as they shoved a hosepipe down my throat, i was gagging and crying, bringing up all my protective stomach mucus, they then went on to do 5 biopsies i could feel them pinching and tearing at my stomach.....it took me 2 weeks before i could eat solid food, the pain lasted for 2 weeks, and it's taken over 2 years for my stomach to regain it's protective mucus, so i would also recommend a sedative for this procedure!

LaLaLand
12-05-2016, 05:50 PM
Bloody hell that sounds horrible! Sorry that you had to go through that and I wish you a speedy recovery. Reading it made my whole body cringe!

Cherie
12-05-2016, 07:20 PM
Sounds like a cost saving method, here have this without a general anaesthetic you will be fine...no thanks :unsure:

AnnieK
12-05-2016, 07:27 PM
Sounds like a cost saving method, here have this without a general anaesthetic you will be fine...no thanks :unsure:

Theyve told me that I am having it and no option of anaesthesia....am getting a bit worried to be honest

Niamh.
12-05-2016, 07:49 PM
So sorry you had to go through that DR, i hope you recover quickly:hug:

I can empathise with you as i has an endoscopy a couple of years ago and was told it would be mildly uncomfortable, that it would be better to get it over with quickly as possible as i could then return to normal life immediately.....it had to be one of the most traumatic things i've ever experienced as they shoved a hosepipe down my throat, i was gagging and crying, bringing up all my protective stomach mucus, they then went on to do 5 biopsies i could feel them pinching and tearing at my stomach.....it took me 2 weeks before i could eat solid food, the pain lasted for 2 weeks, and it's taken over 2 years for my stomach to regain it's protective mucus, so i would also recommend a sedative for this procedure!

I had one of those done last year and I was sedated, I don't remember a thing about it

I've never heard of anyone having a hysterectomy without a general anaesthetic :worry:

AnnieK
12-05-2016, 07:51 PM
I had one of those done last year and I was sedated, I don't remember a thing about it

I've never heard of anyone having a hysterectomy without a general anaesthetic :worry:

Lol...shouldn't laugh but it's not a hysterectomy but a hysteroscopy

Niamh.
12-05-2016, 08:00 PM
Lol...shouldn't laugh but it's not a hysterectomy but a hysteroscopy

Oh Jesus Christ :laugh: I was thinking what kind of hospital was she at at all

RichardG
12-05-2016, 08:01 PM
:hug: I feel ur pain... I had a bronchoscopy last year and they only gave me a mild sedative and I woke up half way through choking on all the wires and cameras stuck down my neck/felt like I couldn't breathe and I could feel the biopsy needle tugging on my lung... even worse there was a massive screen showing the biopsy being taken right in front of me so I could see the inside of my lung. :worry:

Cherie
12-05-2016, 08:08 PM
Theyve told me that I am having it and no option of anaesthesia....am getting a bit worried to be honest

That's incredible when you think they knock people out to have a tooth extracted

Cherie
12-05-2016, 08:09 PM
[QUOTE=Niamh.;8646392]Oh Jesus Christ :laugh: I was thinking what kind of hospital was she at at all[/QUOTE

Sorry this made me laugh :joker:

DemolitionRed
13-05-2016, 10:16 AM
Annie, I'm sending you a private message xxx

DemolitionRed
13-05-2016, 10:20 AM
Richard that sounds like the stuff of nightmares.

I had a big screen up as well. They did ask me if I wanted to see it and I said yes but I was in so much pain I didn't look.

One of the nurses opened a cupboard door and said, "this may help" I looked over and there's this male playboy hunk poster. I didn't laugh at the time but thinking back on it, it was quite a cute thing to do.