PDA

View Full Version : 'Celebrity Alcatraz'!

Kaz
24-04-2003, 03:01 PM
Just found this news story on Ananova:

TV bosses develop 'celebrity Alcatraz'

Celebrities are to be put behind bars in a new reality game show - where contestants are locked up in a real prison.

TV bosses are hoping to bang them up in the most famous prison in the world for Celebrity Alcatraz, which is currently being developed.

The format of the show is being sold around the world and UK programme maker Carlton is working on a version of the show.

"There are real cells, with real bars, with real rules and real wardens," said a Carlton spokesman. Carlton offshoot Action Time is drawing up deals with international broadcasters for the show.

The spokesman was unable to say whether the programme would actually take place in Alcatraz itself, but it would be a genuine jail. Alcatraz - known as The Rock - is no longer a working jail, but was a high-security penitentiary from 1934 to 1963. Notorious inmates of the island prison in San Francisco bay included gang boss Al Capone.

The programme is described as an "extreme reality TV show in which stars are sent to live under harsh prison conditions in the grimmest, toughest jail on earth".

The spokesman added: "The only way the celebrities get out is if viewers vote to release them."
Any ideas for 'celebrities you would like to take part in this?

Keith Chegwin and Gareth Gates immediately spring to my mind!! (only joking about Gareth, honest Mairi) :xyxwave:

splodge0
24-04-2003, 03:14 PM
Yuck!!!

Janette
24-04-2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by splodge0
Yuck!!!

I agree Splodge, Gareth is awful!!!!!!

:laugh:

steve_o
24-04-2003, 08:59 PM
A few clebs that have been banged up before spring to mind. I'm sure there's a few out there. :thumbs: Might be a good watch though. :laugh:

:spin:

kaphc
25-04-2003, 09:28 AM
I've been to Alcatraz and stood in one of the solitary confinement cells (making sure the doors were firmly open!!).

It was an eerie experience and one that I wouldn't like to be in for any length of time! The normal cells were slightly better but I still wouldn't do it.

The only drawback with the idea that I can see is that it might not make very good telly, as all the "inmates" would be sitting around in their cells not doing very much.

:conf: