PDA

View Full Version : Why are Oscars prestigious?

Red Moon
25-02-2007, 12:03 PM
I noticed that there seems to be a lot of topics on the Oscars on the site today. Just by the number of topics people must feel they are important. But are they really worth anything what do they tell you about a film?

Over the years, a substantial number of people in the industry have made the informed decision that Rocky is a better film than Taxi Driver; Ordinary People than Raging Bull; Dances With Wolves than Goodfellas. The Oscars really do have a way of getting it wrong. To my mind Oscars are a commercial tool for fame and publicity and nothing more than that. The Oscars are big business that adds millions to the box office take of a film.

Why should we make so much of an award ceremony where our films are just foreign movies? Why do we feel the American film industry is better than ours?

The Oscars just go to show you how far Hollywood is up it's own bottom.

GiRTh
25-02-2007, 01:22 PM
They used to be more prestigious than they are now but they're still relevant. More than anything it give the film industry a chance to acknowledge some of the stand out films and performances of the year.

Of the example you've given. Dances with Wolves is as good a film as Goodfellas, Taxi Drive didn't even get nominated ( a travesty and I hope Scorcese wins this year).

Red Moon
25-02-2007, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by GRiTMore than anything it give the film industry a chance to acknowledge some of the stand out films and performances of the year.

But do they, with the producers effectively bribing the Academy Members to vote for there films with lots of freebies and party invites.

It all seems like some sort you pat my back and I will pat yours party.

Wouldn't we better off with a different voting system for the Oscars?

GiRTh
25-02-2007, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Red Moon
Originally posted by GRiTMore than anything it give the film industry a chance to acknowledge some of the stand out films and performances of the year.

But do they, with the producers effectively bribing the Academy Members to vote for there films with lots of freebies and party invites.

It all seems like some sort you pat my back and I will pat yours party.

Wouldn't we better off with a different voting system for the Oscars?

All true.

The Oscars have become a bit set in there ways but I do enjoy seeking out films that I'd probably never would have had a look at.