PDA

View Full Version : John Bercow is facing a desperate battle to hang on to his job

LeatherTrumpet
07-02-2017, 09:12 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/news/2017/02/06/trump-bercow-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwfSVWe Z_vEN7c6bHu2jJnT8.png

Donald Trump has been invited for state visit to the UK this spring or summer
John Bercow said he would deny Trump honour of Westminster Hall speech
Commons Speaker railed at 'racism' and backed an 'independent judiciary'
Many MPs cheered and applauded his intervention in the chamber last night
But Bercow faces backlash from critics who say he has undermined neutral role
Tory MPs accuse him of 'grandstanding' and are considering no confidence vote

John Bercow is facing a desperate battle to hang on to his job amid a major backlash over his 'grandstanding' decision to ban Donald Trump from addressing parliament.

Furious Tory MPs are considering forcing a vote of no confidence in the Speaker after an extraordinary intervention in which he branded the US President 'racist and sexist' and said he would not authorise the use of historic Westminster Hall during the impending state visit.

But there is a mounting backlash from politicians condemning Mr Bercow for abandoning the Speaker's traditional neutrality and wading into international politics.

Tory backbencher Alec Shelbrooke accused Mr Bercow of 'grandstanding' and 'student politics of the worst kind'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4198788/Bercow-faces-fight-job-amid-backlash-Trump-ban.html

The Daily Telegraph says today: John Bercow does not speak for Britain, just for his own monstrous ego

excellent article about this here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2017/02/06/john-bercow-does-not-speak-britain-just-monstrous-ego/

Livia
07-02-2017, 10:03 AM
Ridiculous little man... with a ridiculous wife.

Withano
07-02-2017, 10:22 AM
Fighting for something you passionately believe in is probs the best way to lose your job (he wont lose his job).

Livia
07-02-2017, 10:26 AM
He wasn't that passionate when the Kuwaiti delegation visited. Maybe they didn't have a bandwagon.

Withano
07-02-2017, 10:34 AM
He wasn't that passionate when the Kuwaiti delegation visited. Maybe they didn't have a bandwaggon.

I cant talk on his behalf, but his speech sounded as if the UK and the USA's previous/current relationship held a key part in his mindset. I guess injustice from an acquaintance is easier to take than injustice from a friend.

Livia
07-02-2017, 10:37 AM
I cant talk on his behalf, but his speech sounded as if the UK and the USA's previous/current relationship held a key part in his mindset. I guess injustice from an acquaintance is easier to take than injustice from a friend.

Kuwait is not our friend? We went to war for Kuwait in 1990.

The speaker is not supposed to use his professional platform for personal political messages.

Withano
07-02-2017, 10:39 AM
Kuwait is not our friend? We went to war for Kuwait in 1990.

The speaker is not supposed to use his professional platform for personal political messages.

I was saying Kuwait was an acquaintance, and their injustice is easier to take than America's (our friend).

Livia
07-02-2017, 10:43 AM
I was saying Kuwait was an acquaintance, and their injustice is easier to take than America's (our friend).

I'm not sure I follow your logic here. Is it someone's right to use their parliamentary position to speak out on a personal issue, if he considers the country "our friend"? That's not really how politics works.

John Bercow is on his last warning I reckon... May should sack him. Today.

Livia
07-02-2017, 10:46 AM
"Politically impartial

Speakers must be politically impartial. Therefore, on election the new Speaker must resign from their political party and remain separate from political issues even in retirement. However, the Speaker will deal with their constituents' problems like a normal MP."

http://www.parliament.uk/business/commons/the-speaker/the-role-of-the-speaker/role-of-the-speaker/

Toy Soldier
07-02-2017, 11:04 AM
It's a tough one. I personally think that if he feels Trump's presence would be significantly disruptive in the HoC (and let's face it, it might be) then it could technically be considered within his role to not allow it to happen.

On the other hand, his explicit reasoning is NOT that and he is citing his own personal opinions of Trump. Now, I *do* happen to agree with him on those opinions... however... I can't pretend that this represent political impartiality and that is quite clearly listed as being one of the fundamental aspects of the role. Essentially, in regards to his opinions, he agreed to keep his mouth shut when he took on a job that specifically requires neutrality.

I do however think he needs to be reminded of that and given the opportunity to reign it in. "May should sack him today" is reactionary and would be, to me, a frankly worrying echo of Trump's tendency to simply "get rid of people" when they disagree with him politically. He's done it more than once already and he's been in office for only a few weeks. A leader surrounding themselves with "yes men" to achieve their ends is not a good sign.

Cherie
07-02-2017, 11:30 AM
It's a tough one. I personally think that if he feels Trump's presence would be significantly disruptive in the HoC (and let's face it, it might be) then it could technically be considered within his role to not allow it to happen.

On the other hand, his explicit reasoning is NOT that and he is citing his own personal opinions of Trump. Now, I *do* happen to agree with him on those opinions... however... I can't pretend that this represent political impartiality and that is quite clearly listed as being one of the fundamental aspects of the role. Essentially, in regards to his opinions, he agreed to keep his mouth shut when he took on a job that specifically requires neutrality.

I do however think he needs to be reminded of that and given the opportunity to reign it in. "May should sack him today" is reactionary and would be, to me, a frankly worrying echo of Trump's tendency to simply "get rid of people" when they disagree with him politically. He's done it more than once already and he's been in office for only a few weeks. A leader surrounding themselves with "yes men" to achieve their ends is not a good sign.

By the same token a leader shouldn't allow a colleague to embarrass them publically in this way, PM's questions will be a must view on Wednesday.

LeatherTrumpet
07-02-2017, 11:40 AM
I am still trying to work out how President Trump has been racist and Sexist since he took the pledge?

:think:

Northern Monkey
07-02-2017, 11:45 AM
Oh.....

GvSTUuqc9WM

Toy Soldier
07-02-2017, 11:52 AM
[/B]

By the same token a leader shouldn't allow a colleague to embarrass them publically in this way, PM's questions will be a must view on Wednesday.

T. May is not the speaker's "boss"...

Kazanne
07-02-2017, 11:59 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/news/2017/02/06/trump-bercow-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwfSVWe Z_vEN7c6bHu2jJnT8.png

Donald Trump has been invited for state visit to the UK this spring or summer
John Bercow said he would deny Trump honour of Westminster Hall speech
Commons Speaker railed at 'racism' and backed an 'independent judiciary'
Many MPs cheered and applauded his intervention in the chamber last night
But Bercow faces backlash from critics who say he has undermined neutral role
Tory MPs accuse him of 'grandstanding' and are considering no confidence vote

John Bercow is facing a desperate battle to hang on to his job amid a major backlash over his 'grandstanding' decision to ban Donald Trump from addressing parliament.

Furious Tory MPs are considering forcing a vote of no confidence in the Speaker after an extraordinary intervention in which he branded the US President 'racist and sexist' and said he would not authorise the use of historic Westminster Hall during the impending state visit.

But there is a mounting backlash from politicians condemning Mr Bercow for abandoning the Speaker's traditional neutrality and wading into international politics.

Tory backbencher Alec Shelbrooke accused Mr Bercow of 'grandstanding' and 'student politics of the worst kind'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4198788/Bercow-faces-fight-job-amid-backlash-Trump-ban.html

The Daily Telegraph says today: John Bercow does not speak for Britain, just for his own monstrous ego

excellent article about this here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2017/02/06/john-bercow-does-not-speak-britain-just-monstrous-ego/

So he should !!! people like him just make things worse.

Northern Monkey
07-02-2017, 12:00 PM
Bercow should be building bridges not walls

Cherie
07-02-2017, 12:02 PM
T. May is not the speaker's "boss"...

She is the PM she is everyone's boss :laugh:

Toy Soldier
07-02-2017, 12:13 PM
She is the PM she is everyone's boss :laugh:

She is a public servant, everyone is her boss :idc:

Kizzy
07-02-2017, 12:19 PM

Yeah that's trumps job...

The speaker of the house speaks for parliament and the people not the government.

LeatherTrumpet
07-02-2017, 12:25 PM
This new dangerous trend from the left to shut down people from speaking is indeed worrying. The silly petitions, the milo thing, trump in the commons and KIzzy wanting to ban newspapers she dislikes

The left and liberals have taken such a pasting over the last 5 years literally losing every vote and argument that comes their way and with labour now a shadow of itsself I think all they have left is to just try and shut things down now they dont like?

DemolitionRed
07-02-2017, 12:26 PM

The speaker has announced Donald Trump will not be permitted to talk in the Houses of Parliament and that's the end of it. There is no motion to be tabled, nothing to be voted on, John Bercrow is the Speaker, if he says Donald Trump ain't coming there, he ain't coming there.

I don't think people get how much power Bercow actually has. He has authority to refuse to allow guests to speak, and remember that nobody has an automatic right to speak in the House of Commons, especially foreign leaders who were not elected by the British public.

Kizzy
07-02-2017, 12:30 PM
This new dangerous trend from the left to shut down people from speaking is indeed worrying. The silly petitions, the milo thing, trump in the commons and KIzzy wanting to ban newspapers she dislikes

The left and liberals have taken such a pasting over the last 5 years literally losing every vote and argument that comes their way and with labour now a shadow of itsself I think all they have left is to just try and shut things down now they dont like?

I have an issue with regressive propaganda.. so sue me.

Cherie
07-02-2017, 12:31 PM
The speaker has announced Donald Trump will not be permitted to talk in the Houses of Parliament and that's the end of it. There is no motion to be tabled, nothing to be voted on, John Bercrow is the Speaker, if he says Donald Trump ain't coming there, he ain't coming there.

I don't think people get how much power Bercow actually has. He has authority to refuse to allow guests to speak, and remember that nobody has an automatic right to speak in the House of Commons, especially foreign leaders who were not elected by the British public.

I don't think that is the issue here at all, its Bercow's lack of consistency in who he condemns and also the tiny part of his job that requires him to be a neutral

Kizzy
07-02-2017, 12:32 PM

Or the qween, not even princess trump is sovereign in there :laugh:

DemolitionRed
07-02-2017, 12:35 PM
Or the qween, not even princess trump is sovereign in there :laugh:

Hmm well perhaps she will invite him for tea. She does entertain all sorts of **** at Buckingham Palace, Mugabee of Zimbabwee, former tyrants of Romania etc. The Queens family themselves went over to flirt with Hitler in the 1930s and gaze at him lovingly.

Cherie
07-02-2017, 12:40 PM
Hmm well perhaps she will invite him for tea. She does entertain all sorts of **** at Buckingham Palace, Mugabee of Zimbabwee, former tyrants of Romania etc. The Queens family themselves went over to flirt with Hitler in the 1930s and gaze at him lovingly.

so does Bercow :laugh:

DemolitionRed
07-02-2017, 12:40 PM
LT, do you really believe its only the Left. I take it you don't read middle of the road Right wing news.

The BBC said last night that many Conservative MPs cheered Bercow's statement, as well as those on the opposition benches. Trump really has no friends, and the Right are, naturally, particulary anxious to distance themselves from him.

DemolitionRed
07-02-2017, 12:41 PM
so does Bercow :laugh:

Perhaps so but he does taking his working role seriously :hee:

LeatherTrumpet
07-02-2017, 12:41 PM
LT, do you really believe its only the Left. I take it you don't read middle of the road Right wing news.

The BBC said last night that many Conservative MPs cheered Bercow's statement, as well as those on the opposition benches. Trump really has no friends, and the Right are, naturally, particulary anxious to distance themselves from him.

TM went to visit him in the Whitehouse, she is the head of the Conservatives and leads the government so I am not sure who you are referring to?

Tom4784
07-02-2017, 12:45 PM
How dare anyone take issue with Trump! We need to deal with other dictators and abusers of power before we can even think negatively about Trump never mind speak out!

LeatherTrumpet
07-02-2017, 12:49 PM
How dare anyone take issue with Trump! We need to deal with other dictators and abusers of power before we can even think negatively about Trump never mind speak out!

correct, set priorities and not just jump on a bandwaggon because lady gaga says so

:clap1:

Toy Soldier
07-02-2017, 01:01 PM
TM went to visit him in the Whitehouse, she is the head of the Conservatives and leads the government so I am not sure who you are referring to?

TM isn't even a president, let alone a Despot. You can't look at the actions of the prime minister and assume the mindset of even her party, let alone the entire government.

LeatherTrumpet
07-02-2017, 01:09 PM
TM isn't even a president, let alone a Despot. You can't look at the actions of the prime minister and assume the mindset of even her party, let alone the entire government.

she da boss lady TS. She could give a flying fcuk what he is like as long as we get the trade deals and that twat Bercow needs to start thinking beyond getting "likes" on facebook.

Livia
07-02-2017, 01:11 PM

Again, he had no problem allowing other despots to speak, despots with proven track records of Human Rights abuses. Why now?

I am a government employed lawyer who spent quite a few years working in politics, including working with several MPs in the House of Commons. I don't think you understand the role of the speaker, and I think if he was saying something of which you disapproved you'd be calling for his head.

DemolitionRed
07-02-2017, 01:21 PM
What some people don't get is, World leaders are normaly only invited to speak in the Houses of Parliament once they have achieved something the British people could benefit from. There are many U.S. presidents who haven't been invited to speak through their entire time in office. Just because we are not inviting him after only a few weeks in office, doesn't mean he will never be invited to speak.

What would he speak about. What has he achieved thus far?

LeatherTrumpet
07-02-2017, 01:24 PM
What some people don't get is, World leaders are normaly only invited to speak in the Houses of Parliament once they have achieved something the British people could benefit from. There are many U.S. presidents who haven't been invited to speak through their entire time in office. Just because we are not inviting him after only a few weeks in office, doesn't mean he will never be invited to speak.

What would he speak about. What has he achieved thus far?

precisely and frankly as he is not a politician per se he could give a rats arse I am sure so its just bercow making a plonker of himself...again

Livia
07-02-2017, 01:24 PM
Maybe he could speak about the fact he's willing to do a quick trade deal after Brexit, seeing as the USA is our largest non-European export market. And of course, Obama told us we would go to the back of the queue. Let's start with that.

Kizzy
07-02-2017, 01:40 PM

Haha! They did yes, but Shhhhhhh! Dirty secret is eddie :)

DemolitionRed
07-02-2017, 02:08 PM
Leaders of the world are not invited to speak about trade deals they haven't yet made. Its not about them selling themselves or atempting to do business with us! They speak about particular achievements they have made that benefit their country. They pass on popular political ideas and that's why its not just offered to any leader.

Kizzy
07-02-2017, 02:17 PM
Leaders of the world are not invited to speak about trade deals they haven't yet made. Its not about them selling themselves or atempting to do business with us! They speak about particular achievements they have made that benefit their country. They pass on popular political ideas and that's why its not just offered to any leader.

Oh no... trade deals are done over tea and scones and a chat in parliament surely?

Toy Soldier
07-02-2017, 02:19 PM
precisely and frankly as he is not a politician per se he could give a rats arse I am sure so its just bercow making a plonker of himself...again

As he is a raging narcissist he will be upset if he doesn't get to do something that was offered to Obama.

However, as a sociopathic liar he will probably just claim that he got to do it "in secret" anyway, and that he "made all the best speeches".

LeatherTrumpet
07-02-2017, 02:21 PM
As he is a raging narcissist he will be upset if he doesn't get to do something that was offered to Obama.

However, as a sociopathic liar he will probably just claim that he got to do it "in secret" anyway, and that he "made all the best speeches".

:flutter: his 2 best features

smudgie
07-02-2017, 04:05 PM
I think he has jumped the gun a bit here...no invite to speak to parliament has yet been issued, let alone been confirmed or declined.
Silly Big John.:joker:

MTVN
07-02-2017, 05:44 PM
May has no power to sack the Speaker but I don't think its the sort of thing his critics should worry about - Bercow making a gesture like this probably means he intends to stand down relatively soon anyway and just wants to make a big point before he does so

Withano
07-02-2017, 07:08 PM
I'm not sure I follow your logic here. Is it someone's right to use their parliamentary position to speak out on a personal issue, if he considers the country "our friend"? That's not really how politics works.

Im paraphrasing, did you watch his speech? He refers specifically to the UK's and the US's relationship and I suggested that this might have been Bercows logic to treating America differently. But I know no more than you do about his thought processes. Didnt you sign a petition that would lead to a debate on Trump making an appearance anyway. Was you not prepared for the parliament making cases for and against him? Why not? Or is this more about the time and place for you?

Livia
08-02-2017, 09:47 AM
Im paraphrasing, did you watch his speech? He refers specifically to the UK's and the US's relationship and I suggested that this might have been Bercows logic to treating America differently. But I know no more than you do about his thought processes. Didnt you sign a petition that would lead to a debate on Trump making an appearance anyway. Was you not prepared for the parliament making cases for and against him? Why not? Or is this more about the time and place for you?

Bercow should be politically neutral. It's his job to be neutral. He's never spoken out before... but I guess the bandwagon hadn't arrived previously.

I signed a petition to allow a democratically elected president be given a state visit, as he has been offered, just like thousands of other leaders, half of whom are sh1thead despots robbing their own treasury.

DemolitionRed
08-02-2017, 10:16 AM
Ok here's what Bercow actually said
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7x7LIlMIcw

and here is the fallout of what he said
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMBRTj7frVg&t=213s
pay particular attention to them around the 2:24 mark. The "small man" crap was pathetic, and so was the reference to his wife.

To be honest, having now watched the top video, I don't quite get what all the fuss is. He didn't say he'd ban Trump, he said that in his opinion he'd be strongly against it.

Livia
08-02-2017, 10:18 AM
I think most people saw this yesterday.

Kizzy
08-02-2017, 11:28 AM
The use of language around people who make decisions over the heads of those who assume supreme authority over everything and everyone is interesting. They are increasingly referred to as small, ridiculous, 'so called' and other derogatory references for simply doing their job, making a judgement ( if a judge) or expressing a professional opinion.
What is all that about?

Toy Soldier
08-02-2017, 11:42 AM
The use of language around people who make decisions over the heads of those who assume supreme authority over everything and everyone is interesting. They are increasingly referred to as small, ridiculous, 'so called' and other derogatory references for simply doing their job, making a judgement ( if a judge) or expressing a professional opinion.
What is all that about?

I call it the Brexit-Trump-Circlejerk-Effect. Everyone feels so very right now, and how dare anyone do their job if it doesn't represent TheWillOfThePeople™

Cherie
12-02-2017, 09:13 PM
Bercow under pressure tonight as a video surfaces of him backing remain, May might not be able to sack him but she can make life uncomfortable or even untenable for him

arista
13-02-2017, 02:11 AM

Bang On Right NM

Kizzy
13-02-2017, 02:39 PM
Is the speaker not allowed a vote, or a view?
Would it be seen as more acceptable if he'd been filmed suggesting he voted brexit?....Why?

He is just another of a growing number of people who have gone against what the govt want and so are being lambasted in the media.
There was no issue with his voting record before his trump comments.

Northern Monkey
13-02-2017, 03:25 PM
I think the problem is that the speaker is supposed command cross party confidence.He can't be sharing his political views.He has to be impartial.He certainly should'nt be airing his position on Brexit when he is undoubtedly going to have to chair many debates on the EU if he keeps his job.How can he chair debates on an issue where his impartiality is now compromised.

Kizzy
13-02-2017, 03:29 PM
I think the problem is that the speaker is supposed command cross party confidence.He can't be sharing his political views.He has to be impartial.He certainly should'nt be airing his position on Brexit when he is undoubtedly going to have to chair many debates on the EU if he keeps his job.How can he chair debates on an issue where his impartiality is now compromised.

What debates, there is no in/out debate is there?

Again what does/did his opinion on brexit have to do with trump?
This is just the govt trying to whip up public discontent in him, it's obvious.

arista
13-02-2017, 03:37 PM
"He has to be impartial."

Yes he failed that
in Parliament , last week.

Northern Monkey
13-02-2017, 03:39 PM
What debates, there is no in/out debate is there?

Again what does/did his opinion on brexit have to do with trump?
This is just the govt trying to whip up public discontent in him, it's obvious.

His opinion on Brexit has nothing to do with Trump?
They're two separate issues.He's breached his impartiality twice now.Once on Trump and once on Brexit

Cherie
13-02-2017, 03:43 PM
People said May couldn't sack him, there is more than one way to skin a cat :laugh:

DemolitionRed
13-02-2017, 03:56 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speaker_of_the_House_of_Commons_(United_Kingdom)

Thereafter, the Speaker requests "in the name and on behalf of the Commons of the United Kingdom, to lay claim, by humble petition to Her Majesty, to all their ancient and undoubted rights and privileges, especially to freedom of speech in debate,

Kizzy
13-02-2017, 04:06 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speaker_of_the_House_of_Commons_(United_Kingdom)

Thereafter, the Speaker requests "in the name and on behalf of the Commons of the United Kingdom, to lay claim, by humble petition to Her Majesty, to all their ancient and undoubted rights and privileges, especially to freedom of speech in debate,

Ah right... so this impartiality thing is bollox? Thought as much, so he has the same rights as everyone else as would any speaker.
He has just gone against May et al and so must be punished?

Sounds like the way it goes in the UK atm.

DemolitionRed
13-02-2017, 04:40 PM
Ah right... so this impartiality thing is bollox? Thought as much, so he has the same rights as everyone else as would any speaker.
He has just gone against May et al and so must be punished?

Sounds like the way it goes in the UK atm.

Old Johnny boy is very close to some of the royal family, including the queen. I bet she put him up to this :hehe:

Vicky.
13-02-2017, 04:51 PM
I don't really understand Bercows job? Can someone explain to me what he actually does/controls/etc? Are all debates and such up to him? Is he protesting about Trump as he doesn't like him or something...or is there a genuine reason?

LeatherTrumpet
13-02-2017, 04:57 PM
I don't really understand Bercows job? Can someone explain to me what he actually does/controls/etc? Are all debates and such up to him? Is he protesting about Trump as he doesn't like him or something...or is there a genuine reason?

He is the mod for the commons

:fan:

Northern Monkey
13-02-2017, 05:49 PM

He says (paraphrasing)
'Order! Order!I realise the right honourable gentleman is excited but will he refrain from shouting out from a sedentary position!That is NOT statesman like behaviour"

And no he doesn't like Trump.......

Or Brexit

Brillopad
13-02-2017, 06:08 PM
He is the mod for the commons

:fan:

Even more of a rowdy bunch than tibbers.

Epic.
13-02-2017, 06:53 PM
I don't care about them. What about Sally :worry: