PDA

View Full Version : Stoke and Copeland by-elections

MTVN
23-02-2017, 10:52 PM
Both announced in the next few hours with Labour hoping to hold both seats. Looks like Labour have held Stoke but Copeland is less sure. Would be the first time the opposition party has lost a seat in a by election for 35 years.

This Week by election special on now on BBC One

smudgie
23-02-2017, 10:55 PM
Might be an early night.
Question time were saying it looks like labour has held on to both seats.
we will have to wait and see.
Shocking if they don't hold on to either of them really as they have since year dot.

Cal.
23-02-2017, 10:57 PM
Typical of us Stokies!

MTVN
23-02-2017, 10:57 PM
Might be an early night.
Question time were saying it looks like labour has held on to both seats.
we will have to wait and see.
Shocking if they don't hold on to either of them really as they have since year dot.

I'm surprised Dimbleby said that about Copeland because everything else I've seen is talking about Tory optimism

LeatherTrumpet
23-02-2017, 10:59 PM
Surely labour will hold both?

smudgie
23-02-2017, 10:59 PM
I'm surprised Dimbleby said that about Copeland because everything else I've seen is talking about Tory optimism

Yeah, I was even more surprised at Mr Carswells defeatist attitude as well.

Wizard.
23-02-2017, 11:00 PM

Come on let's have a Tory gain! Stoke ruining themselves into the ground if Labour hold the seat.

Cal.
23-02-2017, 11:00 PM
I'm shook I swear UKIP always wins in most of Stoke?

Cal.
23-02-2017, 11:01 PM
A fairly racist place (I'm allowed to say it)

LeatherTrumpet
23-02-2017, 11:04 PM

What's that got to do with UKIP?

Wizard.
23-02-2017, 11:05 PM

I have no sympathy for Stoke if Labour win. Labour have been the MP since 1950 and by the looks of Stoke there's been no development since then. The candidate said he wanted a second EU referendum when Stoke voted 70% to Leave. But let's vote Labour because they stick for us working class! Dream on...

MTVN
23-02-2017, 11:07 PM
I'm shook I swear UKIP always wins in most of Stoke?

Stoke was ~70% Leave in the referendum but then it's been a safe Labour seat for so long and Ukip have had a pretty bad campaign

reece(:
23-02-2017, 11:11 PM
Come through Labour :fc:

reece(:
23-02-2017, 11:11 PM
Stoke was ~70% Leave in the referendum but then it's been a safe Labour seat for so long and Ukip have had a pretty bad campaign
Nuttall has been an embarrassment, especially considering he's meant to be UKIP's party leader

Alf
23-02-2017, 11:12 PM
I like oatcakes.

MTVN
23-02-2017, 11:12 PM

Massive for the Tories and disastrous for Corbyn if so

MTVN
23-02-2017, 11:13 PM
Nuttall has been an embarrassment, especially considering he's meant to be UKIP's party leader

Yep already talk about another change of leader at UKIP if it's really bad..

Wizard.
23-02-2017, 11:13 PM
Come through Labour :fc:

Leave.

reece(:
23-02-2017, 11:14 PM
Leave.
:umm2:

Wizard.
23-02-2017, 11:15 PM
:umm2:

Borrow and bankrupt

Withano
23-02-2017, 11:16 PM
What's that got to do with UKIP?

Not all UKIP supporters like racism, but all racists like UKIP x

reece(:
23-02-2017, 11:16 PM
Not all UKIP supporters like racism, but all racists like UKIP x
:joker:

reece(:
23-02-2017, 11:17 PM
Yep already talk about another change of leader at UKIP if it's really bad..

They should really consider it

Alf
23-02-2017, 11:19 PM
Not all UKIP supporters like racism, but all racists like UKIP xThat's not true though, is it?

smudgie
23-02-2017, 11:20 PM

Massive for the Tories and disastrous for Corbyn if so

Indeed, and thank goodness it didn't turn yellow. Can't stand Tim Farron.

Withano
23-02-2017, 11:21 PM
That's not true though, is it?

Is too

Greg!
23-02-2017, 11:21 PM
Ukip will probably die on its arse and never recover if it loses tonight. Let us pray. :fc:

https://s32.postimg.org/m6frehwit/ezgif_90420901.jpg

Kizzy
23-02-2017, 11:36 PM
Ukip will probably die on its arse and never recover if it loses tonight. Let us pray. :fc:

:worship:

AProducer'sWetDream
23-02-2017, 11:37 PM
I'm not too bothered about Copeland but I couldn't handle a UKIP gain in Stoke :bawling:

Nick.
23-02-2017, 11:42 PM
Do wonder where UKIP will go if/when they Stoke, what coverage is everyone watching? Sky seems to be the most worthwhile

Also Storm Doris seems to have impacted Stoke's turnout - Only 38%

LeatherTrumpet
23-02-2017, 11:47 PM

Sure jan

Braden
23-02-2017, 11:53 PM
The BNP candidate is named David Furness.

I thought Elton was going to need words with his partner, for a moment there.

arista
24-02-2017, 01:13 AM
Stoke goes To Labour 7,853
UKIP 2nd 5,233
Conservative 3rd 5,154

the truth
24-02-2017, 01:18 AM
theyve clung on but their victory has narrowed a great deal down t0 37% (down from 67& in 1997 and 38% is a pathetic turnout and the foolish mp voted in just made a pitful speech that missed the point of everything. he actually claimed theyd oversee the next industrial revolution, of course he didnt quite say how

arista
24-02-2017, 01:47 AM

No Greg!
Paul 2nd
he broke the big hold Labour used to have
Conservative close 3rd.

Yes Labour one
only just

arista
24-02-2017, 01:52 AM
Copeland Goes to Conservative

Labour 11,601
LibDems 2,252
UKIP 2,025

arista
24-02-2017, 01:57 AM
The PM went to help Trudy Harrison
which got more women voting

AProducer'sWetDream
24-02-2017, 02:11 AM
I wonder how the Corbynistas will spin this one.
Will it be the media? The 'Red Tories'? Blair and Heseltine?

The current leadership is destroying this party. When will Corbyn do the decent thing and resign?

arista
24-02-2017, 02:16 AM
I wonder how the Corbynistas will spin this one.
Will it be the media? The 'Red Tories'? Blair and Heseltine?

The current leadership is destroying this party. When will Corbyn do the decent thing and resign?

No he is pleased to Hold
Stoke On Trent
he said on Twitter Media 15mins ago
Reported Live on SkyNewsHD.

He held onto one
that will keep him safe.
its all in the numbers.

arista
24-02-2017, 03:02 AM
Do wonder where UKIP will go if/when they Stoke, what coverage is everyone watching? Sky seems to be the most worthwhile

Also Storm Doris seems to have impacted Stoke's turnout - Only 38%

Final Turnout Later was 51%
So Bitch Doris
only stopped the early voters

arista
24-02-2017, 03:17 AM
Feck Me
at 29mins on in Question Time
real old D. Dimb. (now 78 years old)
said Labour have held Copeland.
the look on their faces , the old fool said.

QT should not do this and look Stupid
get rid of THAT presenter

Black Dagger
24-02-2017, 05:52 AM
Leave.

Lmao and then the right wing members wonder why more people avoid SN.

joeysteele
24-02-2017, 07:38 AM
Copeland is a bad result for Labour.

Stoke is better, although this seat is set to disappear under new boundary changes.
UKIP did badly, this was a by election, they threw their new leader at it and he didn't even come extremely close to winning it,failing too to get voters out with just over a third turnout of voters.

Had the Conservatives fought harder in Stoke,rather than acting like a spin off UKIP agency, they could have come at least a very strong 2nd.

LeatherTrumpet
24-02-2017, 07:45 AM
Another disaster for the left wing, it really has been a bad decade for their supporters, surely now they have to reconsider their world views?

Cal.
24-02-2017, 07:48 AM
Yaaasss at UKIP not winning :clap1:

Jack_
24-02-2017, 07:54 AM
The Prime Minister continues to refuse to confirm her position on a potential closure of a maternity ward at their hospital and what do the people of Copeland do? Elect a Tory MP. I've said it before and I'll say it again: turkeys voting for Christmas.

That being said, something has to give now. I've voted for Jeremy twice and still believe in his vision but the polls are catastrophic and results like this don't bode well. The problem is is that there's evidence of the electorate supporting many of his policy positions, but they just can't shake his baggage off. Which is a damn shame, the blame for which definitely lies at the hands of the media - but it's the only media we have and we have to work with it.

I don't know where we go from here. I've thought for a while perhaps give it a year to let the government trigger article 50 and then see if anything improves - but there's whispers she may be closing in on an early general election so there may be no time to waste at all. The next leader must stand on the same platform - of that I insist - I have absolutely no interest in the washy washy neoliberal monotony of the centre ground, if we're going to lose I want to lose backing a party whose policies I actually agree with. Someone like Clive Lewis seems perfect to me. Same platform, less baggage. That's what's needed. Quite when, I'm not sure.

Kizzy
24-02-2017, 08:04 AM
Idiots, the PM refused to rule out closures in maternity services...that means women and babies at risk and fewer jobs in the area.
Just what an the tories do to people to wake them up?

Jeremy Corbyn is shouting at the top of his voice in the commons about saving the NHS and what is the focus?....Bastard Tom Watson, dabbing!!!

I can't deal :/

LeatherTrumpet
24-02-2017, 08:51 AM
hopefully Diane Abbot will take over

:laugh2:

Alf
24-02-2017, 08:52 AM
The Prime Minister continues to refuse to confirm her position on a potential closure of a maternity ward at their hospital and what do the people of Copeland do? Elect a Tory MP. I've said it before and I'll say it again: turkeys voting for Christmas.

That being said, something has to give now. I've voted for Jeremy twice and still believe in his vision but the polls are catastrophic and results like this don't bode well. The problem is is that there's evidence of the electorate supporting many of his policy positions, but they just can't shake his baggage off. Which is a damn shame, the blame for which definitely lies at the hands of the media - but it's the only media we have and we have to work with it.

I don't know where we go from here. I've thought for a while perhaps give it a year to let the government trigger article 50 and then see if anything improves - but there's whispers she may be closing in on an early general election so there may be no time to waste at all. The next leader must stand on the same platform - of that I insist - I have absolutely no interest in the washy washy neoliberal monotony of the centre ground, if we're going to lose I want to lose backing a party whose policies I actually agree with. Someone like Clive Lewis seems perfect to me. Same platform, less baggage. That's what's needed. Quite when, I'm not sure.Or maybe people don't just vote on one issue, and maybe the potential closure of a maternity ward isn't the issue that's currently giving some people the most worry in their lives.

Crazy thought, I know, but crazy things do happen from time to time.

Jack_
24-02-2017, 08:59 AM
Or maybe people don't just vote on one issue, and maybe the potential closure of a maternity ward isn't the issue that's currently giving some people the most worry in their lives.

Crazy thought, I know, but crazy things do happen from time to time.

Okay then, copy and paste any other Tory policy or mantra and the result is the same. Working class members of the electorate voting for the Conservatives are turkeys voting for Christmas.

Crazy things do happen from time to time, you're right..

Kizzy
24-02-2017, 09:01 AM
No the worry is the effect on nuclear, which is a poisoned chalice if ever there was one.

MTVN
24-02-2017, 09:17 AM
Well if you listen to John McDonnell this morning the blame lays not with the current Labour leader but with the man who hasn't led the party for a decade

Wizard.
24-02-2017, 09:21 AM
Okay then, copy and paste any other Tory policy or mantra and the result is the same. Working class members of the electorate voting for the Conservatives are turkeys voting for Christmas.

Crazy things do happen from time to time, you're right..

The Tories will do wonders in Copeland, no more poverty! People are sick of Labour using our NHS as a political pawn and the people of Copeland have seen right through the transparency of Labours campaign.

Kizzy
24-02-2017, 09:21 AM
You mean the man who has been ramping up the disunity for days filling column inches with rubbish? He and his cronies are squarely to blame for drowning out seemingly the only voice that wants to save the NHS...But then Jeremy doesn't have a vested interest does he? Or rather he does but the same as the rest of us.

AProducer'sWetDream
24-02-2017, 09:38 AM
You mean the man who has been ramping up the disunity for days filling column inches with rubbish? He and his cronies are squarely to blame for drowning out seemingly the only voice that wants to save the NHS...But then Jeremy doesn't have a vested interest does he? Or rather he does but the same as the rest of us.

"Conservatives 40%, Labour 26%"

https://yougov.co.uk/news/categories/voting-intention/

https://medium.com/@theobertram/the-copeland-test-labours-core-vote-ddac4fb8ee#.swi1xb6l6

Labour. Did. Not. Lose. Copeland. Because. Of. Tony. Blair.

MTVN
24-02-2017, 09:42 AM
When even Owen Jones is sick to death of Corbyn you know you've got a problem

No doubt Momentum will be labelling him a Blairite plotter soon

arista
24-02-2017, 09:52 AM
"Idiots,"

No Kizzy
its Democracy

arista
24-02-2017, 09:53 AM
"Unless something drastic happens,"

yes cocky Owen Joneshttps://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/681493332678291457/swHdHJNr_400x400.jpg
"events" change it all.

Kizzy
24-02-2017, 09:59 AM
Look at the media of late, the comments of blair, mandelson, and stupid attention grabbing stunts by watson they for me diluted the message to Copeland.
Not sure why people think Owen Jones is such a corbynite anyway :/

AProducer'sWetDream
24-02-2017, 10:11 AM
Look at the media of late, the comments of blair, mandelson, and stupid attention grabbing stunts by watson they for me diluted the message to Copeland.

Labour has been far behind in the polls for months and months- the latest interventions are not to blame for their disastorous performance last night. The media has always been hostile to Labour leaders- but Ed Milliband's party held places like Copeland.

And as for Owen Jones not being a Corbynite? :joker: He campaigned and voted for him.
http://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset/scalefit_630_noupscale/579e85f61200008104a54646.jpeg

I'll give you this- it's not all down to Corbyn. Labour have some real systemic problems to overcome and a new leader won't necessarily have the solution. But JC has shown repeatedly that he isn't that solution.

arista
24-02-2017, 10:17 AM
Yes Owens Early years

Northern Monkey
24-02-2017, 11:02 AM
hopefully Diane Abbot will take over

No!:laugh:
The country needs a strong opposition party.Abbott would be the only one person that could possibly be worse than Corbyn.

Northern Monkey
24-02-2017, 11:05 AM

Some people think Blair actually did Corbyn a favour.It seems like he was trying to undermine Corbyn but because everyone hates Blair it did the opposite.

arista
24-02-2017, 12:18 PM
Some people think Blair actually did Corbyn a favour.It seems like he was trying to undermine Corbyn but because everyone hates Blair it did the opposite.

Yes Blair still Haunting everyone

Corbyn should have said BLAIR WAS WRONG
he has the Fire to Beat the Blair new Labour Side.

MTVN
24-02-2017, 12:33 PM
Corbyn said only a few years ago: "No nuclear power, decommission the stations we've got". Not surprising he didn't go down too well in an area so tied up with the nuclear industry

Left wing Labour columnist Kevin Maguire in left wing Labour newspaper:

The two words which best describe why devastated Labour humiliatingly lost a Northern stronghold are “Jeremy” and “Corbyn”.

His name cropped up again and again on doorsteps in now blue not red Copeland, the Labour leader a major vote loser for his party in Cumbria.

A crushing Parliamentary by-election defeat cannot fairly be pinned on one person but Corbyn was the albatross around Labour's neck.

Even disciples of the battered leader, a decent man with honest politics, were shaken to discover on doorsteps the depth of hostility fuelled by faltering performances, Labour infighting, unrelenting media criticism.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/two-words-describe-labours-humiliating-9908171

But I guess its Blair who is squarely to blame

Greg!
24-02-2017, 12:36 PM
I like Jeremy Corbyn and I think the way he was treated by his MPs made the Party look like a divided shambles, and is probably one of the reasons that they're doing so badly. He needs to resign now though to have any chance of winning the next election, I cba having the tories in power forever more

Greg!
24-02-2017, 12:38 PM
Ukip are basically over now though so at least there was a positive to come out of this

AProducer'sWetDream
24-02-2017, 01:39 PM
Ukip are basically over now though so at least there was a positive to come out of this

:clap1: :dance:

I was very concerned about UKIP before last night- but if they can't win "Brexit capital" then it doesn't exactly look like they're going to sweep the heartlands with disaffected Labour voters.

Cal.
24-02-2017, 03:17 PM
There's literally billboards for UKIP all around Stoke as well lmao poor that!

Kizzy
24-02-2017, 07:19 PM

Blair does nobody favours, he's a war criminal who should be by rights locked up.
This isn't new Labour, he couldn't care less if it died on it's arse.
Good, I'm glad it or every other coup has failed.

Kizzy
24-02-2017, 07:29 PM
Corbyn said only a few years ago: "No nuclear power, decommission the stations we've got". Not surprising he didn't go down too well in an area so tied up with the nuclear industry

Left wing Labour columnist Kevin Maguire in left wing Labour newspaper:

But I guess its Blair who is squarely to blame

It states in the article that the infighting and the faltering performances the PROVEN media hostility are the reasoning behind the drop in voter confidence, surprisingly it doesn't mention the nuclear sector jobs there.
There's only one thing to blame for the Labour defeat ...The Blairites 'new' (fabian) labour party.

LeatherTrumpet
24-02-2017, 08:08 PM

Sure, and labour are flourishing

Kizzy
24-02-2017, 10:02 PM
Yeah... Thanks Copeland, nuclear and the tories a winning combo :thumbs:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/government-meddling-high-energy-prices-electricity-hinkley-lords-report-a7596231.html

Livia
25-02-2017, 09:43 AM
Labour will never recover until the Corbynites desist their selfish agenda and realise that he's killing their party. It's once again the noisy minority making the demands and keeping him in place. Life-long Labour supporters are turning away from their party... it's bad for the country. We need a strong opposition and we just don't have one.

Kizzy
25-02-2017, 09:54 AM
Labour will never recover until the Corbynites desist their selfish agenda and realise that he's killing their party. It's once again the noisy minority making the demands and keeping him in place. Life-long Labour supporters are turning away from their party... it's bad for the country. We need a strong opposition and we just don't have one.

Not voters then? There was a vote, he won remember?

AProducer'sWetDream
25-02-2017, 01:06 PM

Less than a million Labour members. Labour 'voters' up and down the country are turning away in their droves.

arista
25-02-2017, 01:17 PM
Less than a million Labour members. Labour 'voters' up and down the country are turning away in their droves.

But because he has had 2 Elections
even Blair-Labour MP's
are not asking for anymore internal elections.

Livia
25-02-2017, 05:19 PM

I thought it was clear that the "noisy minority" was the less than a million people who are intent on keeping Corbyn in post while the rest of Labour's support, as QPWD said, are turning away in their droves.

Greg!
25-02-2017, 06:01 PM
Sure, and labour are flourishing

Did I say they were? lol I don't even support them.

Ukip are dying/dead. It's a fact

Kizzy
26-02-2017, 05:57 AM
I thought it was clear that the "noisy minority" was the less than a million people who are intent on keeping Corbyn in post while the rest of Labour's support, as QPWD said, are turning away in their droves.

Then why didn't the 'silent majority' vote for another leader?...

joeysteele
26-02-2017, 07:54 AM
Labour has lost support, for me Corbyn says what a lot like and think right,however for me the UK as to politics, heeds the minority who are xenophobic,hard hearted and hardline voters.
Who care little really about the NHS or people who are disadvantaged as to opportunity or health in society.

The in fighting in Labour is sad to see and is also a contribution to the party's woes.
It will take either a miracle as to voters waking up to the true rotten ideals of this current Conservative govt. or for their handling of leaving the EU to end up a disastrous mess for Labour to move forward.

That is sad for me to see,any one party state situation in the UK,sadly it is there now in Scotland too at the other end of the political spectrum,with the SNP.

The vast army of non voters is what is now needed to quell that minority hardline, hard hearted and intolerent set of voters.
Otherwise this lot will be there for ages.

A proper PR system may help curb the extremes of this awful govt. and PM.
No chance of that as the Conservatives are the only party who would never ever, support a change to the voting system.
The UK is on a road in politics abhorrent to me and so I am pleased to say personal circumstances and events will see me leave the UK later this year.
Leaving it to sink further into being a more backward Nation,rather than one that should be showing the way on compassion,decency and tolerance.
Instead of being the opposite now of all three.

Livia
26-02-2017, 09:10 AM
Then why didn't the 'silent majority' vote for another leader?...

Erm... because you can't have two majorities. And the majority of Labour members voted for Corbyn while Labour voters continue to turn away from the party.

Kizzy
26-02-2017, 01:12 PM
Erm... because you can't have two majorities. And the majority of Labour members voted for Corbyn while Labour voters continue to turn away from the party.

Again.... why did the majority voters if they were so disenfranchised vote for a different leader when the opportunity arose?

Let's not get carried away with the turning away, they won Stoke remember, there was only a 6.7% shift in Copeland. The foreshadowing in the media is premature.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/conservatives-victory-over-labour-copeland-by-election-trudy-harrison-gillian-troughton-2017-2

Livia
26-02-2017, 02:53 PM
Again.... why did the majority voters if they were so disenfranchised vote for a different leader when the opportunity arose?

Let's not get carried away with the turning away, they won Stoke remember, there was only a 6.7% shift in Copeland. The foreshadowing in the media is premature.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/conservatives-victory-over-labour-copeland-by-election-trudy-harrison-gillian-troughton-2017-2

Because they would have had to have joined the Labour party. And not everyone wants to join a political party.

The denial is almost tangible with Corbyn supporters. Personally, I don't care if he remains leader forever, he will never win a general election, I'm not sure how much more proof you need. Sad for the country though because a strong opposition keeps the government in line.

Northern Monkey
26-02-2017, 04:30 PM
Unfortunately if Labour don't sort out their crap they are in danger of fading into irrelevance.They need a new,strong and sensible leader who appeals to the voters and not just the far left protester types.

parmnion
26-02-2017, 05:29 PM
I like oatcakes.

:joker:

Kizzy
27-02-2017, 06:12 AM
Because they would have had to have joined the Labour party. And not everyone wants to join a political party.

The denial is almost tangible with Corbyn supporters. Personally, I don't care if he remains leader forever, he will never win a general election, I'm not sure how much more proof you need. Sad for the country though because a strong opposition keeps the government in line.

Then they can keep quiet, if they don't wish to vote then they can't complain at the choice of leader can they?

If the Labour party wanted to appeal to their faithful voters then why not scrap the membership fee?
He may not win, that doesn't mean he should be ousted...there is no viable alternative is there?
So yes the denial is tangible, I have hope and faith that there are enough Labour voters who want an end to this current govt, why that means I'm mocked for backing the leader of the party I don't know :/

MTVN
02-03-2017, 10:37 PM
Dawn Butler has just sidestepped a question on Copeland on QT by saying "I didn't go to Copeland, I get car sickness and I hear the roads are quite bad there"

Couldn't make it up