PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with Arsenal

GiRTh
13-04-2007, 01:33 PM
I'm an Arsenal fan. If I was to try and answer my own question, we'd be here all night. What do the football fans out there think. Why are we struggling to hold on to fourth place in the Premiership.

Jay
13-04-2007, 01:35 PM
To be honest i don't think the big guns of your team like Henry and Gilberto havent had the best of seasons, also i think you have too many youngsters who i don't think are ready to wear the Arsenal shirt yet, i think you will get fourth but it will be very close.

GiRTh
13-04-2007, 01:36 PM
Do you think that much of this can be traced back to selling Patrick Vieira? cos i do.

Jay
13-04-2007, 01:39 PM
Yeah i think loosing Viera was a big part, but you made champions leauge final without him there. I think after Arsenal went to the final i think we was all expecting amazing things from the youngsters but it they have not produced.

BigSister
13-04-2007, 01:42 PM
I think Henry has something to do with it, when he comes back you will be back to your best but you beat liverpoo in CC without him and got to CC final and was v unlucky against blackburn in fa cup as well

James
13-04-2007, 01:46 PM
Arsenal are missing Henry and van Persie so the goals have dried up. Generally though can't compete with the spending of the likes of Chelsea.

GiRTh
13-04-2007, 01:49 PM
The thing about us getting to the CL final was that we did it with amazing performances from Henry and Reyes (remember him!!). The youngsters contributed but it was mainly down to those two. Reyes has gone and I've absolutely no idea what is wrong with Thierry. Arsene was right to drop him.

We need to rebuild and I think it will take at lest two seasons to do it.

Jay
13-04-2007, 01:53 PM
I think every world class player has a bad patch, Rooney, shevenko and Henry. He played alot of games over the past few seasons including going to the world cup. Hopefully he will be back to his best next season.

GiRTh
13-04-2007, 01:57 PM
Hope so. We need him. I was expecting him to leave at the end of last season and, for me, him staying showed he 'll probably finish his career at Arsenal. He's 30 this year. He's got probably 2 - 3 years maximum at the VERY VERY top. Lets face it at 33 Barcelona and Inter won't want him. He's got an English wife too, which I think is another reason he stayed.

Jay
13-04-2007, 02:00 PM
I guess he can go on till he can, remember Zidane was still playing for Real Madrid and was still doing wonders which is amazing for his age. I think Henry is a massive part of how you do next season, if he's at his best then i can see you doing really well next season.

Dan_
13-04-2007, 02:06 PM
Another player I think Arsenal have missed is Robert Pires or more his goals from midfield, nobody has really come close to scoring the amount he used to get and he had the ability to totally change games.Whilst Rosicky is a very good player he's never really been a consistent goalscorer and I don't really rate Alexander Hleb.

If you look at the top 3 they all have goalscoring midfielders-Gerrard,Ronaldo and Lampard.Arsenal's highest scoring midfielder is Gilberto who's never been known for his goalscoring.

GiRTh
13-04-2007, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Jay
I guess he can go on till he can, remember Zidane was still playing for Real Madrid and was still doing wonders which is amazing for his age. I think Henry is a massive part of how you do next season, if he's at his best then i can see you doing really well next season. Could be right. Hope you are.

We've got players who are amazingly inconsistent. Helb, has amongst the best control in the Premier league but he doesn't stamp hi authority on games. Rosicky, has an amazing skill level but is the same. He doesn’t control games. Eboue is a good player but probably needs another year. Clichy has show that we haven't really missed Ashley Cole. Toure, is not a natural defender - that why we struggle in Europe. Adebayo has potential but how will it take for him to fulfil it and lovely little Theo Walcott will be a world class player in a few years

I told you if I got going, we'd be here for the night. I’ve still got loads to say.

Jay
13-04-2007, 02:13 PM
Fabregas has done well, but he looks out of form at the moment i think the game you lost to West Ham really summed your season up.

GiRTh
13-04-2007, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Dan_
Another player I think Arsenal have missed is Robert Pires or more his goals from midfield, nobody has really come close to scoring the amount he used to get and he had the ability to totally change games.Whilst Rosicky is a very good player he's never really been a consistent goalscorer and I don't really rate Alexander Hleb.

If you look at the top 3 they all have goalscoring midfielders-Gerrard,Ronaldo and Lampard.Arsenal's highest scoring midfielder is Gilberto who's never been known for his goalscoring. Good point. The thing with us is that before Chelsea appointed Mourinho we were always the top goal scorers on the league. This was down to the Pires's and Ljundbergs of this world. I even think that in Chelsea's first winning season we were still top scorers. Now, we couldn't score in a brothel without Henry. van Persie has potential but again, how long do we wait for him to fulfilit.

And don't even get me started on why we sold players like Sidwell and Bentley. I see that Man U, Chelsea, Newcastle and Liverpool are all interested in signing Sidwell. It makes me sick

Dan_
13-04-2007, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by GiRTh

If you look at the top 3 they all have goalscoring midfielders-Gerrard,Ronaldo and Lampard.Arsenal's highest scoring midfielder is Gilberto who's never been known for his goalscoring. Good point. The thing with us is that before Chelsea appointed Mourinho we were always the top goal scorers on the league. This was down to the Pires's and Ljundbergs of this world. I even think that in Chelsea's first winning season we were still top scorers. Now, we couldn't score in a brothel without Henry. van Persie has potential but again, how long do we wait for him to fulfilit.

And don't even get me started on why we sold players like Sidwell and Bentley. I see that Man U, Chelsea, Newcastle and Liverpool are all interested in signing Sidwell. It makes me sick

Do you reckon you'll end up keeping Baptista? I'm not sure he even fits into Arsenal's style of play, Reyes was much better suited but I guess he was homesick.

It must have been frustrating for players like Sidwell and Bentley though never getting a proper chance in the team.I think Bentley's got what it takes to play in the England team right now.I read an interview with him saying he he got fed up waiting for his chance at Arsenal so asked to go.I'd personally rather have Bentley than Hleb anyday.

Mike
13-04-2007, 02:34 PM
Problem with Arsenal is they like to get goals the hard way i.e walking it into the net but unlike when they went on that unbeaten run a couple of seasons ago it's just not happening for them, even as a Chelsea fan though i have to admit that on their day when the likes of Fabregas, Hleb, Rosicky and Henry are playing at their best its a joy to watch, this season though it just hasn't been consistant enough therefore they have fallen behind.

GiRTh
13-04-2007, 02:37 PM

Do you reckon you'll end up keeping Baptista? I'm not sure he even fits into Arsenal's style of play, Reyes was much better suited but I guess he was homesick.

It must have been frustrating for players like Sidwell and Bentley though never getting a proper chance in the team.I think Bentley's got what it takes to play in the England team right now.I read an interview with him saying he he got fed up waiting for his chance at Arsenal so asked to go.I'd personally rather have Bentley than Hleb anyday. Hleb has great control but I agree with you, I'd rather have Bentley too. Sidwell is a bit of a sickener' He was let go at least 2 - 3 seasons ago, matured in the championship and is now a quality player. Both players are England class. Up to a certain extent I can understand the Arsenal haters who target the fact that we have so few English players We’ve had quality English players but have chose to discard them. I like what Man U have done with Rossi, Richardson and Dong. Loan then out till they’re ready then give them a good run in the first team

Baptista is a good player and I like to see us playing quality even if it's slightly out of position. Obviously Reyes was a better fit but if he wants to be a mardy bum then that’s down to him.

SiMoN!
13-04-2007, 02:53 PM
i really hate everything about Arsenal
Hate HATE
lol

i dont like there Arrogance - they think there the bets ever
were dur there not

and there such bad losers - yer know one like to losers - but tema accep that they lost - were as Arsenal just moan.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

GiRTh
13-04-2007, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by SiMoN!
Hate HATE
lol

were dur there not

and there such bad losers - yer know one like to losers - but tema accep that they lost - were as Arsenal just moan.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: LMAO Don't you think that Chavski get the arrogance awards these days.

SiMoN!
13-04-2007, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by GiRTh
Hate HATE
lol

were dur there not

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: LMAO Don't you think that Chavski get the arrogance awards these days.

lol only silver

Arsenal get gold (they got to have something)

GiRTh
13-04-2007, 02:59 PM

lol only silver

Arsenal get gold (they got to have something) When do we ever complain. Vieira's gone. lol

Novo
28-09-2009, 10:53 PM
Have you found the answer yet girth

Zac
28-09-2009, 10:58 PM
Lack of leadership, or respect for leadership.
Lack of motivation for non big 4 games.
Lack of a bit of grit and work ethic.

That's what is wrong with them.

30stone
28-09-2009, 11:12 PM
We showed the last of what you said at fulham Zac.
I don't think were struggling to hold onto 4th spot at all.

Zac
28-09-2009, 11:14 PM
I don't think were struggling to hold onto 4th spot at all.

Uh well you were struggling... I think.
I don't know the slightest think about football. I just made that **** up. Me and football do not go together.

30stone
28-09-2009, 11:26 PM
We wern't we have finished 4th 2 times in last 3 seasons.

We were 8/9 points above everton last season
and 12 points or somthing before.

And middle year we were 2 points off coming second and 6 points above 4th place.

arsenalforever
29-09-2009, 11:58 AM
very inconsitent really

we don't finish off are chances agaisn't the rival's and we lack a guy who scores 30 a season year in and out

also we under perform away from home

30stone
29-09-2009, 12:24 PM
I dont understand why everyone says we dont perform away from home...
Last season.. I think we scored something like 4 points less away from home lol.

I agree with the finishing off chnaces though, sometimes we have like 16 goals just dont find the target..

Never seem to have just a little bt of luck infront of goal.

arsenalforever
29-09-2009, 12:30 PM
I dont understand why everyone says we dont perform away from home...
Last season.. I think we scored something like 4 points less away from home lol.

I agree with the finishing off chnaces though, sometimes we have like 16 goals just dont find the target..

Never seem to have just a little bt of luck infront of goal.

we should have beaten Utd and city but lack of a world class finisher really harms us.

we just don't look the same team away from home in the league
and i'm afraid we be dropping points away this season:sad:

but hopefully we win something this year

30stone
29-09-2009, 12:48 PM
For me Eduardo's a world class finisher well before his injury at least, but wenger seems to not play him in the middle.
Keeps playing him out on the left where he doesnt perform.

I think we have a great team this year the youngsters have finally started like coming out and performing.

arsenalforever
29-09-2009, 12:52 PM
For me Eduardo's a world class finisher well before his injury at least, but wenger seems to not play him in the middle.
Keeps playing him out on the left where he doesnt perform.

I think we have a great team this year the youngsters have finally started like coming out and performing.

i've been getting less confindent every year we underachieve:sad:

30stone
29-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Thats what annoys me about Arsenal fans none are optomistic..

Look at liverpool fans never won the pl and yet every year say they will.

arsenalforever
29-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Thats what annoys me about Arsenal fans none are optomistic..

Look at liverpool fans never won the pl and yet every year say they will.

well they have Torres who takes every chance he gets

if we had him i be more confindent

30stone
29-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Yeah they have one stiker that performs majority of the time.

Hes just come off the back of scoring a hatrick but sometimes he makes no difference in a game.

We have a great team i dont see why we are not optomistic.

30stone
29-09-2009, 01:23 PM
Wish V persie would start scoing from free kicks again.

He used to be amazing at them, he's still good but hardly scores free kicks no more.

arsenalforever
29-09-2009, 01:24 PM

Hes just come off the back of scoring a hatrick but sometimes he makes no difference in a game.

not winning a cup in 5 years maybe thats why:joker:

arsenalforever
29-09-2009, 01:25 PM
Wish V persie would start scoing from free kicks again.

He used to be amazing at them, he's still good but hardly scores free kicks no more.

hardly scores ieither now:joker:

30stone
29-09-2009, 02:05 PM

Liverpool havent won anything in 4 years and never won the pl.
Yet they say they will win it every year.

Dont see why Arsenal fans ent like that.

arsenalforever
30-09-2009, 10:01 AM

Liverpool havent won anything in 4 years and never won the pl.
Yet they say they will win it every year.

Dont see why Arsenal fans ent like that.

but they won a champions league and fa cup in those five years at least they won somehting 30stone

30stone
30-09-2009, 10:20 AM
But in 4 years they have won nothing?
In 5 we have won nothing..

Its 1 year difference, but we have no faith.
You cant say we dont our fans are pretty average like 5% are optomists the rest are like ohh we're gunna lose this after 5 minutes of play..

arsenalforever
30-09-2009, 10:39 AM
But in 4 years they have won nothing?
In 5 we have won nothing..

Its 1 year difference, but we have no faith.
You cant say we dont our fans are pretty average like 5% are optomists the rest are like ohh we're gunna lose this after 5 minutes of play..

i have faith they will win something this year

MassiveTruck
01-10-2009, 11:30 PM
The problem with Arsenal is they have always been a club that has been driven like a business and not a football club. David Dein changed the club by focussing more on football and over that time Arsenal had a great time with George Graham and Wenger.

Since Dein went and cashed his chips before the Credit Crunch, the club is back in the hands of the ex-bankers from the City, The Carrs and The Hill Woods who are desperate to make money out of the investment their fathers had left them.

The recent changes with Kreonke may lead to huge changes. Massive changes.

Kreonke is a sports fan and will want wins. He has said he likes how Arsenal is run, but the business man inside me tells me, this means "This is a good business to buy because small timers in investments have kept it prudent".

The Carrs and Hill Woods first made a big impact into the big time by investing from the Bank of England after the booming periods of the 60s before the dire 70s came in. Investing in players, they brought Arsenal's first European trophy and then the double for the following season. Then players moved on as Arsenal didn't hold on to success. It was a similar business strategy that Herbert Chapman brought to the club in the 30s. Invest in something that other clubs aren't doing and then get players.

The likes of the Carrs and Hill Woods kept Dein under their thumb until his footballing ambitions got bigger than their investment ambitions. Dein, didn't want to take advantage of the Credit available and wanted to focus on ambition on the pitch. The club wanted to take advantage of cheap credit and cash in on the lucrative corporate packages and it has been successful and it has given them a return to survive out their invesment over the credit crunch - in the same way, big players like Usmanov and Kreonke are waiting to make their move and take over the club.

So... expect huge changes. Massive changes.

I doubt any Arsenal fan will complain when the club is the biggest the world has ever seen - and that will be thanks to Usmanov and Kreonke.

arsenalforever
02-10-2009, 01:56 PM
i love arsenal to win the treble it would shut up the haters

30stone
02-10-2009, 05:24 PM
Usmanov > Kreonke.

Kreonke is okay but so far all ive seen from him is.. buying the shares hes not given anything else to the club.

Usmanov is offering to pay the wages and offering wenger unlimited transfer money to help the football side of things.. but you guessed it Hill- wood said no when usmanov proposed that. Usmanov is saying how they should work on raising money to help wenger with transfers if he cant just give him money.

MassiveTruck
02-10-2009, 06:30 PM
Usmanov > Kreonke.

Kreonke is okay but so far all ive seen from him is.. buying the shares hes not given anything else to the club.

Usmanov is offering to pay the wages and offering wenger unlimited transfer money to help the football side of things.. but you guessed it Hill- wood said no when usmanov proposed that. Usmanov is saying how they should work on raising money to help wenger with transfers if he cant just give him money.

I think Arsenal's method of buying players young in order to bypass agent's fees and higher transfer fees get in the way of getting decent players. Sure we are paying salaries equal to Chelsea, United and Liverpool but our transfer budget is low. So it's a money making scheme.

The club needs to find a balance between all three (maturity, youth and experienced players) and maybe risk about 10 million expenditure each year to catch the short fall.

I think Arsenal should concentrate on buying in one world class quality player every 2/3 years, depending on requirement. For this an outlay of 20 million maximum should be given.

setanta
02-10-2009, 06:48 PM
Has anyone been to the Emirates? Seems to lack atmosphere on the box.

MassiveTruck
02-10-2009, 08:02 PM

I've been to the emirates and every other ground in the premiership. They're all quiet. Atmosphere isn't what it is unless it's

A Derby,

A Game against one of the top 5 teams at an away ground i.e. Arsenal away to Sunderland etc.

The best atmosphere isn't even at Newcastle anymore. That's very quiet.

Everton has a good atmosphere. Portsmouth has a good atmosphere. Wolverhampton do as well.

Unless the game matters to supporters, it's usually a quiet watch and observe affair.

arsenalforever
02-10-2009, 11:54 PM

if the match isn't going arsenal's way its very quiet

setanta
03-10-2009, 12:16 AM
Do you think their recent form has anything to do with the change of stadium? I've always wondered if that might be a telling factor.

arsenalforever
03-10-2009, 12:22 AM
Do you think their recent form has anything to do with the change of stadium? I've always wondered if that might be a telling factor.

no we're not playing to the best of our albilties Setanta
simple as we can't make excuses

setanta
03-10-2009, 12:36 AM
But it does seem rather odd that nothing's been won since you left Highbury right? I don't think you've won anything since or am I wrong?

arsenalforever
03-10-2009, 12:51 AM
But it does seem rather odd that nothing's been won since you left Highbury right? I don't think you've won anything since or am I wrong?

your right:joker:
but what can you do

setanta
03-10-2009, 01:03 AM
Oh I know that, but it's worrying if you get superstitious about things. Has to be playing on their minds a little bit... if not the team then defo some of the fans and that can pervade through the whole club after awhile. Have to win something fast to shake it off.

arsenalforever
03-10-2009, 01:09 AM
Oh I know that, but it's worrying if you get superstitious about things. Has to be playing on their minds a little bit... if not the team then defo some of the fans and that can pervade through the whole club after awhile. Have to win something fast to shake it off.

i know mate i hate the fact we play great football but mess up so badly

30stone
03-10-2009, 02:38 AM

Since we have moved from highbury we have been in over 400m debt.

that doesnt help.

setanta
03-10-2009, 10:06 AM
But you still reached semis and finals of the Champions League so the talent is obviously there.... clear for anyone to see that. That stadium might be a subconcious factor in all of this. You'd be surprised how things like that can effect the psyche of a team.

30stone
03-10-2009, 10:46 AM
I think this is the season where were looking best.
We will see how it goes i guess.
If we can be in like 3rd or 4th by january i think were in for a chance of finishing top 2.

Along with how we do in europe and the cups.

They were saying last couple of games how its starting to get louder and sound like highbury, if we keep that up it would be good.

King Gizzard
03-10-2009, 01:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uoM6p7ueao