PDA

View Full Version : Glen Roeder quits as Newcastle manager

Dan_
07-05-2007, 11:43 AM
Glenn Roeder has resigned as manager of Newcastle United.

Roeder and chairman Freddy Shepherd came under fire from fans after the home defeat by Blackburn on Saturday.

Ex-Bolton boss Sam Allardyce has been linked to the vacancy at Newcastle, who have been hit by injuries this season and are 13th in the Premiership.

A statement on the club's website said: "Glenn Roeder has offered his resignation with immediate effect and this has been accepted by the board."

Newcastle have not scored a league goal at St James' Park in over eight hours of playing time, which is their worst run since 1951.

Roeder spent 15 months in charge at St James' Park, including his spell as caretaker, and was desperate for time to turn things around after a dreadful run of injuries.

During his reign, Roeder was able to name striker Michael Owen in his starting line-up only twice in 73 games.

In addition, Roeder was without the likes of Kieron Dyer for long spells as well as Shola Ameobi and Damien Duff.

Earlier in the season, Roeder claimed that no other manager could have done any better, insisting "we have had the worst injury crisis in the club's history and in any other club's history".

Regardless, Roeder's position became virtually untenable when the fans turned on him after Saturday's 2-0 home defeat by Blackburn.

And Shepherd confirmed to BBC Sport on Sunday night that 51-year-old Roeder had resigned.

Five Live Sport's Ian Dennis said: "Roeder has resigned, walking away with immediate effect after being summoned to a hastily arranged board meeting on Sunday morning.

"It's no surprise in the north-east that Sam Allardyce is already emerging as a strong favourite to replace him."

Allardyce ended his eight-year reign as Bolton boss by resigning on 29 April.

He previously turned down the Newcastle job before Graeme Souness, Roeder's predecessor, was offered it in 2004.

It is not yet clear who will take charge of the Magpies for their final Premiership game of the season at Watford on Sunday.

The fans are already restless after a disappointing season which has also seen them become angry at Shepherd, who has fought off two takeover bids in recent months.

And supporters' frustration is sure to grow as Newcastle face the task of appointing a fifth manager in fewer than 10 years.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/6630751.stm

I'm not suprised that he has gone really, they have underacheived once again this season and some of his signings just have not come off, as soon as Big Sam left Bolton it just seemed to put him under more pressure and yet another loss at the weekend must have pretty much sealed it.

I think if Big Sam does get the job he's going to have to adapt from his typical long ball game, you just cannot hoof it upto Martins and Owen as they arent going to always win it and it's a waste of their talents.

James
07-05-2007, 11:51 AM
The fans were demonstrating, shouting 'sack the board' after the last game. Does anyone watch 'Jimmy Hill's Sunday Supplement' on Sky Sports? On that programme one of the journalist's close to the Newcastle scene said the only person that gets sacked or resigns when Newcastle fans start shouting 'sack the board' is the manager!

Dan_
07-05-2007, 12:07 PM
I can see their point about 'sack the board', the choices of managers over the last few years seem to never quite work out to match the great potential that the club has, maybe it's about time that those who hire these duff managers are held accountable for it.

It is always the manager's that end up losing their jobs,however bad a job the board may do.Perhaps a system like in Spain where the fans end up voting in a club president would be better.

Michael
07-05-2007, 04:20 PM
allerdyce will take over, no doubt.

LargeAndInCharge
07-05-2007, 06:59 PM
ur right mcq i think it was already planed to sack roeder for big sam to come in.

same with coleman for sanchez

GiRTh
08-05-2007, 09:41 AM
No surprise really and I hope Allardyce gets the job.

Dan_
15-05-2007, 12:39 PM
Allerdyce get's the job, what a huge suprise :rolleyes:.

GiRTh
15-05-2007, 04:15 PM
He'll do well there. He was Notts County manger in the eary 80's and he got them into the old first division which would these days be equivalent to the premiership. I think he's the best English manager around.