PDA

View Full Version : Are you unable to say TH and instead say F

LeatherTrumpet
09-02-2018, 01:28 PM
I was disgusted to hear Ashley Banjos brother on This Morning doing one of them vile HOliday £2 a text promos yesterday talking about "tooo handred and fiftae FOUSAND pand"

Just awful to let someone do a read like that who cannot speak properly :bored: but my question for you is can you?

How do you pronounce THREE, Things and Thursday?

:nono:

Nicky91
09-02-2018, 01:29 PM
Free, Fings, Fursday i pronounce them like that

but i write them with TH

Niamh.
09-02-2018, 01:30 PM
I say tree, tings and tursday :hee:

LeatherTrumpet
09-02-2018, 01:34 PM

:oh:

montblanc
09-02-2018, 01:39 PM
I was disgusted to hear Ashley Banjos brother on This Morning doing one of them vile HOliday £2 a text promos yesterday talking about "tooo handred and fiftae FOUSAND pand"

leave them alone :joker::joker::joker:

Matthew.
09-02-2018, 01:41 PM
three
hings
thursdeh

caprimint
09-02-2018, 01:56 PM
I speak properly obvs

Oliver_W
09-02-2018, 01:57 PM

The ting goes skraa, pa pa kak kak kak

JerseyWins
09-02-2018, 03:12 PM
Three Things Thursday

Preferably free for me

y.winter
09-02-2018, 04:16 PM
Th

Ugh Irish accents :lovedup:

parmnion
10-02-2018, 09:22 AM
Dats not right.

Withano
10-02-2018, 09:28 AM
I have absolutely no idea. Free and three are pronounced the same way surely?

Jessica.
10-02-2018, 09:36 AM
I say them properly. I do have to make an effort though.

I don't understand how people can mix TH up with F though, when you say F your top teeth touch your bottom lip but to say TH your top teeth touch your tongue.

Withano
10-02-2018, 10:20 AM
I say them properly. I do have to make an effort though.

I don't understand how people can mix TH up with F though, when you say F your top teeth touch your bottom lip but to say TH your top teeth touch your tongue.

Wait what

Withano
10-02-2018, 10:21 AM
Im so confused

Jessica.
10-02-2018, 10:48 AM
Im so confused

https://image.slidesharecdn.com/abcpronunciary9510478-120525084557-phpapp02/95/abc-pronunciary-th-1-728.jpg?cb=1337938212

http://image.slidesharecdn.com/abcpronunciary-120308201717-phpapp01/95/abc-pronunciary-26-728.jpg?cb=1331238477

Withano
10-02-2018, 11:28 AM
https://image.slidesharecdn.com/abcpronunciary9510478-120525084557-phpapp02/95/abc-pronunciary-th-1-728.jpg?cb=1337938212

http://image.slidesharecdn.com/abcpronunciary-120308201717-phpapp01/95/abc-pronunciary-26-728.jpg?cb=1331238477

Surely you dont do that the three, things and thursday though? Like I do it with there and though.. hmm

Babayaro.
10-02-2018, 12:17 PM
I don't think it's a big deal bc if you can't understand that someone is saying "three" bc they pronounce it with a TH, then that's your problem :hee::)

LeatherTrumpet
10-02-2018, 12:46 PM
I don't think it's a big deal bc if you can't understand that someone is saying "three" bc they pronounce it with a TH, then that's your problem :hee::)

proper enunciation is very important in life

JerseyWins
10-02-2018, 02:58 PM
What can I get for $15?
I'll give you three burgers
I'll give you free burgers

The three/free one is the most dangerous in communication :worry:

Jessica.
10-02-2018, 06:24 PM
Surely you dont do that the three, things and thursday though? Like I do it with there and though.. hmm

It's for every TH sound.

Toy Soldier
10-02-2018, 07:23 PM
I have absolutely no idea. Free and three are pronounced the same way surely?I refuse to believe that you actually think this... I mean... You would have to have literally never watched a TV show or movie from the US, because Ive never heard a US accent that would pronounce three as "free".

In fact I've ONLY heard from England. And even then, it's not like the Queen was like "Hello everyone, it's time for my speech. Two fousand and firteen has been a great year"

Withano
10-02-2018, 07:28 PM
I genuinely have no idea what youre all going on about and its distressing me

RileyH
10-02-2018, 07:32 PM
I say Three as normal
arista, Ashley., Calderyon, caprimint, Firewire, hijaxers, Jamie89, Jason., JerseyWins, Jessica., Kazanne, LeatherTrumpet, lewis111, Marches, MB., mizzy25, montblanc, Natalie., Rob!, smudgie, Vicky., y.winter

LIARS

Toy Soldier
10-02-2018, 07:49 PM
I genuinely have no idea what youre all going on about and its distressing meMaybe it's like the thing with Japanese and L / R, like you're so culturally attuned to it that you can't even hear a difference (apparently L and R actually SOUND the same to most Japanese people, they don't just mix up saying them :omgno: )

Toy Soldier
10-02-2018, 07:55 PM
In all seriousness - in any Scottish primary school, if you mispronounced your "th" as an "f" you'd probably be put down for some speech and language therapy, because it's technically a speech impediment...

Maru
10-02-2018, 08:01 PM
I have absolutely no idea. Free and three are pronounced the same way surely?

I refuse to believe that you actually think this... I mean... You would have to have literally never watched a TV show or movie from the US, because Ive never heard a US accent that would pronounce three as "free".

I'm confused for the opposite reason. How do you pronounce them the same? :laugh:

In fact I've ONLY heard from England. And even then, it's not like the Queen was like "Hello everyone, it's time for my speech. Two fousand and firteen has been a great year"

https://media.giphy.com/media/14uSOvR5EqW8SY/giphy.gif

Withano
10-02-2018, 08:03 PM
I'm going to ask my mum and dad if they pronounce free and three the same way, I'll keep you updated

Withano
10-02-2018, 08:06 PM
My Dad has no idea what you're all going on about either

Toy Soldier
10-02-2018, 08:09 PM
I'm confused for the opposite reason. How do you pronounce them the same? [emoji23]

https://media.giphy.com/media/14uSOvR5EqW8SY/giphy.gifThat's because in America the British accents you hear are usually limited to Regionless "Proper English", like James Bond, Doctor Who, Harry Potter etc. and possibly some Scottish (usually exaggerated)... Neither of which Th-front (technical term for pronouncing th as f).

Try to find an episode of "Eastenders", then you'll know what it sounds like :joker:.

Toy Soldier
10-02-2018, 08:13 PM
My Dad has no idea what you're all going on about eitherIh55yasmR-Q

Toy Soldier
10-02-2018, 08:17 PM
That said, neither Englishes NOR Americans can properly pronounce "burgh", as in "Edinburgh". English people tend to say "Edin-bra or Edin-bruh", Americans tend to say "Edin-burrow" or even "Edin-burg".

And all y'all pronounce "Loch" as "lock".

:fist:

Withano
10-02-2018, 08:36 PM
Ih55yasmR-Q

:laugh2: this is painful. I don't understand how that is different to how we would pronounce those words if they were spelt with an f instead of a th.

Toy Soldier
10-02-2018, 08:38 PM
:laugh2: this is painful. I don't understand how that is different to how we would pronounce those words if they were spelt with an f instead of a th.You genuinely can't hear a difference between "free" and "three" when, say, it's pronounced by a newsreader?

Withano
10-02-2018, 08:41 PM
You genuinely can't hear a difference between "free" and "three" when, say, it's pronounced by a newsreader?

I've never heard them in the same sentence before... cant specifically remember a time I heard a newsreader (or anyone else really) say these words either, I'll keep an ear out.

Maru
10-02-2018, 08:45 PM
That said, neither Englishes NOR Americans can properly pronounce "burgh", as in "Edinburgh". English people tend to say "Edin-bra or Edin-bruh", Americans tend to say "Edin-burrow" or even "Edin-burg".

Them yanks/noreasters (the upstairs Americans) would say Edin-burrow I suspect. I would use Edin-BERG :laugh: What is the proper pronunciation though of "burgh" though?

We can blame the English language itself. It's not like spelling and pronunciation in our language is thoroughly consistent anyway. Very easy to butcher the language and your butchering would be right depending on what region of the US/UK you live in and in some cases, context.

Niamh.
10-02-2018, 09:58 PM
I said this before but I'm convinced Irish people can't pronounce th because in the Irish language if words start with th the t becomes silent so there's no sound like the th in English [emoji23] i think our tongues just aren't meant for it

JerseyWins
10-02-2018, 10:43 PM

Edinburgh would be pronounced Edin-BERG. I don't think I've ever heard it pronounced differently anywhere. :skull: Like I'm confused how "burgh" can possibly translate to "bra" or "bruh" or "burrow" :joker:

Pittsburgh = Pitts-BERG etc.

JerseyWins
10-02-2018, 10:44 PM
Also I'm SO confused... what is Withano on about? :joker:

Toy Soldier
10-02-2018, 11:40 PM
Them yanks/noreasters (the upstairs Americans) would say Edin-burrow I suspect. I would use Edin-BERG :laugh: What is the proper pronunciation though of "burgh" though?

Closest I could type it is "Edin-burruh" but there's a sort of glottal element to the "ruh". And the "bu" is very short so it's sort of ALMOST "Edin-brah"... but it's not.

TN9E3WsaHWw

(Also, Glasgow is "Glazz-Go", not bloody "Glass-Cow". :laugh:

parmnion
11-02-2018, 06:58 AM
Yin
Twae
Three
Fower
Five
Six
Seevin
Ite
Nine
Ten
Eleeven
Twelve.

MTVN
11-02-2018, 07:53 AM
I'm with Withano, I can only see them as identical phonetically

Jessica.
11-02-2018, 09:28 AM
I'm with Withano, I can only see them as identical phonetically

:skull:

caprimint
11-02-2018, 12:38 PM
What can I get for $15?
I'll give you three burgers
I'll give you free burgers

The three/free one is the most dangerous in communication :worry:
:joker:

Unless you're vegetarian bc who wants free or three burgers anyway!?!?!??!

JerseyWins
12-02-2018, 01:33 AM

Unless you're vegetarian bc who wants free or three burgers anyway!?!?!??!

Edinburgh would be pronounced Edin-BERG. I don't think I've ever heard it pronounced differently anywhere. :skull: Like I'm confused how "burgh" can possibly translate to "bra" or "bruh" or "burrow" :joker:

Pittsburgh = Pitts-BERG etc.
Btw I just remembered my dad actually says Pittsburrow and he was raised for many years of his life in Europe (Croatia) so idk if he picked up that pronunciation in America or over there. :think:

Also idk why these kind of language/pronunciation topics interest me so much :joker:

Jessica.
12-02-2018, 02:36 AM
Btw I just remembered my dad actually says Pittsburrow and he was raised for many years of his life in Europe (Croatia) so idk if he picked up that pronunciation in America or over there. :think:

That's not a difference in pronunciation though, it's just wrong :joker:

LaLaLand
12-02-2018, 03:11 AM
9/10 times I say TH but sometimes the commoner has to come out in me and I F it.

Josy
12-02-2018, 05:26 AM
I don't have a speech impediment so can pronounce the words properly..

Toy Soldier
12-02-2018, 08:17 AM
I don't have a speech impediment so can pronounce the words properly..Interesting brag for us Scots Josy: Scottish is a very "phonetically complete" accent, there are very few linguistic sounds that Scottish people struggle with, and no western ones :hee:.

We tend to glottal stop our "T" rather than fully enunciating them (e.g. "bu' 'er" instead of "butter") but its habitual not structural, meaning that if you say to someone who does it, "say it properly!", they CAN say "butter".

Toy Soldier
12-02-2018, 08:19 AM
For those who are saying that "th" and "f" are phonetically the same, they just aren't or shouldn't be! The shape of the mouth / position of the tongue for saying each correctly is totally different.

Maru
12-02-2018, 08:57 AM
Interesting brag for us Scots Josy: Scottish is a very "phonetically complete" accent, there are very few linguistic sounds that Scottish people struggle with, and no western ones :hee:.

We tend to glottal stop our "T" rather than fully enunciating them (e.g. "bu' 'er" instead of "butter") but its habitual not structural, meaning that if you say to someone who does it, "say it properly!", they CAN say "butter".

What about the Japanese/Spanish "rr"? :think:

If I had trouble pronouncing something, I'd like to call butter 'butthurr" or something... bc it kinda sounds like butthurt

Toy Soldier
12-02-2018, 03:32 PM
What about the Japanese/Spanish "rr"? :think:

If I had trouble pronouncing something, I'd like to call butter 'butthurr" or something... bc it kinda sounds like butthurt

That's probably one of the few for most people, East-Asian / Western phonetics tend to be some of the most incompatible, I've seen studies that strongly suggest that there are differences in perception that mean we don't even hear each other accurately at first. It's pretty much impossible to become totally fluent in things like Japanese, Chinese (there are weird differences in the ways vowels are formed), Thai, Korean etc etc without living there for several years and having total immersion.

waterhog
12-02-2018, 06:48 PM

Just awful to let someone do a read like that who cannot speak properly :bored: but my question for you is can you?

How do you pronounce THREE, Things and Thursday?

:nono:

when one is free
you would have to agree
not one second but three
omg I am missing shree.
confusing are fings
I suppose that's why no rings
pain this bring
is this explaing things.

Maru
12-02-2018, 08:46 PM
That's probably one of the few for most people, East-Asian / Western phonetics tend to be some of the most incompatible, I've seen studies that strongly suggest that there are differences in perception that mean we don't even hear each other accurately at first. It's pretty much impossible to become totally fluent in things like Japanese, Chinese (there are weird differences in the ways vowels are formed), Thai, Korean etc etc without living there for several years and having total immersion.

I think that's also true for native speakers, especially when dealing with regional inflections. For example, where I was raised, we speak very fast and get to the point very quickly. When I moved NE, it felt like I was relearning conversation because the actual words were given much more emphasis over the delivery (and getting in those small Texas jabs), and it felt a bit unnatural for me at first because conversation felt kinda randomized (almost "flat")... there are times when watching Big Brother that I have to replay something a few times before I fully understand it. I have trouble with the UK accent at lower volumes.

I think the brain streamlines a lot of language processes and we just perceive the simplified version. There's very little that our brain focuses on in precise detail.. it does better with patterns of speech and learned "shortcuts".

With class differences, there's a huge difference in speech, even here. I find that we speak better with people who are on a common level. (edit) And yes I do think this impacts how likeable you will be to some folk. If you get their speech right away or not. It helps to develop a little bit of diversity in your speech and ability to read people overall despite these speech differences.

Same thing with forums/SD, I think people tend to read over those who type short blurbs on a different wavelength with long texts, whereas the shorter posts, everyone gets those almost immediately. (since you have more time to focus on the play of words). Whereas, the longform, people almost instantly focus on things like the overuse of the word "you", i.e. the personal nature of a reply... and they try to sum it up in their head instead of catching onto the smaller details... I don't think many people are very good at reading between the lines, even if you offer those "hints", they look for the same patterns they expect in voice because of the mixed nature of forums (personal versus informal versus "enthusiast")

As for my Japanese, I am total **** at it when someone here asks me to speak Japanese who only knows English. It's like that is a different brain than my English brain. When a friend is visiting or we are on the phone, it's much easier to make the switch. But I find using the language outside that situation is very jarring. My Japanese brain is a bit lazy actually.

A little OT but yeah.

I think that people who purposefully mispronounce words, there's some regional "dialect" thing going on there possibly. (edit) With Japanese, the regional dialect is much more obvious because they even change the way verbs are conjugated, etc.. I have a Latina pronounciation to my English sometimes, especially when I'm making fun, because that's how we used to roll in the barrio...

Tozzie
14-02-2018, 07:16 PM
some fings in life are three innit

King Gizzard
14-02-2018, 08:17 PM
I say my name with an F Lol

Niamh.
14-02-2018, 08:23 PM
I say my name with an F Lol

Fathan? you weirdo :hehe:

Shaun
14-02-2018, 08:52 PM
The difference has never really been that clear to me but then I did have hearing problems as a young child. I often mispronounce words that I've taught myself :laugh:

It's more of a "v" sound than an "f" one, to me, though

King Gizzard
15-02-2018, 01:59 AM
I know it’s Nathan but it’s much easier to say Nafe-an and less tricky

Mystic Mock
15-02-2018, 03:43 AM
I say three with the TH sound.

Although when I was a kid I did used to struggle to say Thor and would call him for.:joker:

Mystic Mock
15-02-2018, 03:50 AM
Maybe it's like the thing with Japanese and L / R, like you're so culturally attuned to it that you can't even hear a difference (apparently L and R actually SOUND the same to most Japanese people, they don't just mix up saying them :omgno: )

Yeah if you watch the Japanese Anime Fairy Tail they have a girl named Lucy pronounced as Rushi.

Mystic Mock
15-02-2018, 03:55 AM
Closest I could type it is "Edin-burruh" but there's a sort of glottal element to the "ruh". And the "bu" is very short so it's sort of ALMOST "Edin-brah"... but it's not.

TN9E3WsaHWw

(Also, Glasgow is "Glazz-Go", not bloody "Glass-Cow". :laugh:

So I pronounced Glasgow properly then.:dance:

Edinburgh I do pronounced as Edin-burruh but I'm slightly off on pronunciation which I didn't know that after 21 years.:laugh:

Tozzie
15-02-2018, 06:24 PM
I wonder if the people who use F where th should be do the same the other way around........they might go, oh thor thucks sake when they are mad :hehe: