PDA

View Full Version : Are web templates a good alternative to custom-designed websites?

Kivan
16-02-2018, 05:23 AM
Would be grateful to see opinions from thos who have experience in web building. I'm going to make my own website about computer games and I was recommended to use them but I'm still not sure if it's the best decision. Your thoughts?

Oliver_W
16-02-2018, 10:57 AM
Ask yourself three questions:

Think about how you want your website to look - can this be achieved through templates?

Think about some computer game websites you like - could these be achieved through templates?

Think again about the websites you like - does the layout affect how much you like them?

LeatherTrumpet
16-02-2018, 11:31 AM
Would it not be easier just to make a scrapbook?

RichardG
16-02-2018, 11:34 AM
it's fine for the website you would be creating

no it won't look as good as ign, but you don't have access to their budget or skills so it's to be expected

Marches
21-02-2018, 07:20 AM
I always find websites made with templates look tacky but if ur fairly new then ig they’re an alright starting point

Toy Soldier
21-02-2018, 08:46 AM
Both tbh. Templates are fine, the best option if you're not a professional web designer, but they're best if you know a bit about HTML/CSS (and whatever CMS you're using) so that you can tinker with them to personalise the site.