PDA

View Full Version : Dyspraxia

Owoaje1993
24-02-2018, 08:37 AM
Hi guys I’m wondering on here if anyone has dyspraxia? What is dyspraxia it is

People who have dyspraxia often find the routine tasks of daily life such as driving, household chores, cooking and grooming difficult. They can also find coping at work is hard. People with dyspraxia usually have a combination of problems

Epic.
24-02-2018, 08:55 AM
I do

Babayaro.
24-02-2018, 09:07 AM
My sister has it

Smithy
24-02-2018, 09:44 AM
My boyfriends sisters boyfriend has it (apparently) but I just think he’s a clumsy twat fist:

Jessica.
24-02-2018, 12:02 PM
I think I have it but I haven't been diagnosed. I am extremely clumsy, I drop and break everything, I have horrible spacial awareness and I walk into stuff even though my eyesight is perfect.

I have all of these symptoms.
http://puu.sh/zuDKp/0c6d585e13.png

Rob!
24-02-2018, 12:10 PM
Yeah I've got it

Owoaje1993
24-02-2018, 05:57 PM
I have it also I was just wondering if others did on here

Marsh.
24-02-2018, 06:36 PM
Daniel Radcliffe has it.

TwentyOneThrones
24-02-2018, 06:45 PM
I have Dyspraxia. I asked my mum about it and she says it 'affects my gross motor skills (i.e running etc), fine motor skills (i.e writing etc), spacial awareness and it's also given me a tremor' (me meaning me, not my mum lmao)

TwentyOneThrones
24-02-2018, 06:48 PM
I can struggle with social situations (although I'm much more social than I have been in the past) & I struggle with my emotions, but I think that may be more down to my autism than my dyspraxia.

Morgan.
24-02-2018, 06:53 PM
I have Dyspraxia. I asked my mum about it and she says it 'affects my gross motor skills (i.e running etc), fine motor skills (i.e writing etc), spacial awareness and it's also given me a tremor' (me meaning me, not my mum lmao)

You have a tremor? I wouldn't even notice!

GoldHeart
24-02-2018, 06:57 PM
What is it?? :conf:

Epic.
24-02-2018, 06:58 PM
I think I have it but I haven't been diagnosed. I am extremely clumsy, I drop and break everything, I have horrible spacial awareness and I walk into stuff even though my eyesight is perfect.

I have all of these symptoms.
http://puu.sh/zuDKp/0c6d585e13.png

My cousin has this same claim that she thinks she has it but hasn't been diagnosed so if your curious maybe you could see a consultant about it because if you do it could lead to you being assisted in how to cope with it better, if you get diagnosed anyway like I did.

Jessica.
25-02-2018, 08:41 AM
Tried to place a new cup on a desk beside me. :sad:

http://puu.sh/zvfCT/a43ec225b1.jpg

Jessica.
25-02-2018, 08:41 AM
My cousin has this same claim that she thinks she has it but hasn't been diagnosed so if your curious maybe you could see a consultant about it because if you do it could lead to you being assisted in how to cope with it better, if you get diagnosed anyway like I did.

Thanks, I think i will try to get diagnosed.

TwentyOneThrones
25-02-2018, 12:01 PM
You have a tremor? I wouldn't even notice!

Yea it mainly affects my hands so like kinda why my handwriting is a bit...cr-p

Toy Soldier
25-02-2018, 01:41 PM
We suspect my eldest daughter might be. She's uncoordinated and very clumsy, especially bad at things like throwing and catching. She took FOREVER to learn to ride a bike, though it finally clicked last summer (but that's about 2 years after most of her friends) and she's been in swimming lessons for over a year and has yet to move up from the very first group :think:.

Academically she does brilliantly but anything physical is really not her string point, basically. She also does struggle to handle her emotions often... She's socially quite mature for her age, yet emotionally immature at the same time.

Ammi
25-02-2018, 01:56 PM
We suspect my eldest daughter might be. She's uncoordinated and very clumsy, especially bad at things like throwing and catching. She took FOREVER to learn to ride a bike, though it finally clicked last summer (but that's about 2 years after most of her friends) and she's been in swimming lessons for over a year and has yet to move up from the very first group :think:.

Academically she does brilliantly but anything physical is really not her string point, basically. She also does struggle to handle her emotions often... She's socially quite mature for her age, yet emotionally immature at the same time.

..TS, your daughter could equally be a ‘gifted and talented’ child...this is probably better to explain it, rather than me posting in my confusing way..:laugh:...

https://www.verywellfamily.com/social-and-emotional-problems-affecting-gifted-children-1449336

...I don’t know if it’s anything that’s ever been discussed with her school...but with what you’re saying about her...it’s something I would certainly mention with her teacher..?...

Toy Soldier
25-02-2018, 08:01 PM
..TS, your daughter could equally be a ‘gifted and talented’ child...this is probably better to explain it, rather than me posting in my confusing way..:laugh:...

https://www.verywellfamily.com/social-and-emotional-problems-affecting-gifted-children-1449336

...I don’t know if it’s anything that’s ever been discussed with her school...but with what you’re saying about her...it’s something I would certainly mention with her teacher..?...

Reading that, think maybe I'M a gifted child Ammi :hee:. A 32 year old one...

Wait...

"A gifted child may be able to participate in adult conversations about issues such as global warming or world hunger one minute and the next minute cry and whine because a sibling took a favorite toy."

...The whole of SD's is gifted children? :omgno: :think:

On a more serious note, we've had quite a lot of discussion with her school and tbh they've kind of already "screwed it up" a bit. Her P3 teacher handled her terribly in terms of her emotions, she actually became incredibly anxious (especially about school) for several months to the point that it was a horrible battle even getting her to go most days, for several months. She came through that great, really, except that in her anxiety evaporating (or probably as a tool she used to get past it) she just transitioned into becoming sassy AF with her P3 teacher wheich has carried over into P4. Now she's constantly on the naughty list for back-chat and eye-rolling :shrug:. But yeah, a lot of those things do apply to her and I'm not 100% convinced her school is really "on it" at all.

Mitchell
25-02-2018, 08:03 PM
Yep I suffer with it

Maru
25-02-2018, 08:15 PM
I've never heard of it, but my mother's side carries a gene for a movement disorder that is crippling. That sort of thing makes it very difficult for them to socialize yourself to the outside environment. My uncle who is in his 40's, has pretty much given up. He sits in his room all day watching TV, refuses to wear glasses (because he breaks them) even though he is blind and it is destroying his quality of life. He has problems with chewing as well and eating, so he won't eat until most people are out of the room (short of a few of us which he is used to)

I mean even if it's minor, I can see where it would cause quite a bit of anxiety around social activity. Most people who are on the normal scale socially have very low tolerance for people who can't keep up with their speed of conversation (which is usually contextualized to their environment)... so it makes it very difficult for people to adjust in. It doesn't mean they should give up though...

It's interesting what TS mentioned about the emotional impact as well... I wonder if there is a link in my family's issues to their emotional state.. most of my family members that are affected are significantly emotionally handicapped in some form (they've not been diagnosed though). Jordan Peterson also stresses the importance of kids being able to engage in rough and tumble play when they're being socialized... so maybe if a child is in a position where a family member does everything for them and treats them as utterly incapable (as it is in my family), maybe then their growth becomes severely stunted... so much so, that social experiences can no longer be enjoyable, so they develop generalized anxiety towards those things. That is true for my uncle, he is coddled and doesn't do things for himself at all... when my mother used to make mistakes or drop things, people around her shake their head or sigh, i.e. how dare you look after yourself when that's our job... but actually, allowing them to do for themselves, isn't that key to not only their physical therapy, but their emotional therapy as well? As much as it is feasible anyway...

Ammi
26-02-2018, 10:03 AM
Reading that, think maybe I'M a gifted child Ammi :hee:. A 32 year old one...

Wait...

"A gifted child may be able to participate in adult conversations about issues such as global warming or world hunger one minute and the next minute cry and whine because a sibling took a favorite toy."

...The whole of SD's is gifted children? :omgno: :think:

On a more serious note, we've had quite a lot of discussion with her school and tbh they've kind of already "screwed it up" a bit. Her P3 teacher handled her terribly in terms of her emotions, she actually became incredibly anxious (especially about school) for several months to the point that it was a horrible battle even getting her to go most days, for several months. She came through that great, really, except that in her anxiety evaporating (or probably as a tool she used to get past it) she just transitioned into becoming sassy AF with her P3 teacher wheich has carried over into P4. Now she's constantly on the naughty list for back-chat and eye-rolling :shrug:. But yeah, a lot of those things do apply to her and I'm not 100% convinced her school is really "on it" at all.

...it always makes me very sad to hear of your school experiences, TS...and I would like to say it’s not typical for a school to not be ‘on it’ and that you should persist in them getting on it and staying on it...but since my return to work, sadly the education system doesn’t seem ‘on it’ at all and is lacking in many areas which is very sad and deflating to see...not necessarily because of questionable teaching staff though...just government guidelines and targets and Ofsted targets to be reached to prevent a failing school...(..even though if it’s predetermined to be failed then it will be, no matter what great areas of the school..)..is something many schools are experiencing...so how could that not have an affect on teaching also and the quality of...?..

...I think though...going back to your daughter and the academic ‘brilliance’ she’s displaying...?...the ‘wrong diagnosis’ as it were, could be just as damaging as no diagnosis at all when one is needed and most definitely applies and there are similarities displayed in children with dispraxia and ‘gifted children’....I would certainly continue your ‘battle’ of communication, relentlessly... I’m not really sure what else to suggest as funding is a huge issue here in England even when it’s obvious to all that a child isn’t being sassy or naughty and that there are very definite reasons for their struggles and frustrations in certain areas of co-ordination, as is the thing it would seem with your experiences....

LeatherTrumpet
26-02-2018, 10:07 AM
Lol there is a name for everything now

Ammi
26-02-2018, 10:12 AM
Lol there is a name for everything now

..yeah I’m not going to tell you what your name is, LT...there is a filter, don’t you know....

..disclaimer:...I was joking LT, I thought I better put that...

Cherie
26-02-2018, 12:08 PM
...it always makes me very sad to hear of your school experiences, TS...and I would like to say it’s not typical for a school to not be ‘on it’ and that you should persist in them getting on it and staying on it...but since my return to work, sadly the education system doesn’t seem ‘on it’ at all and is lacking in many areas which is very sad and deflating to see...not necessarily because of questionable teaching staff though...just government guidelines and targets and Ofsted targets to be reached to prevent a failing school...(..even though if it’s predetermined to be failed then it will be, no matter what great areas of the school..)..is something many schools are experiencing...so how could that not have an affect on teaching also and the quality of...?..

...I think though...going back to your daughter and the academic ‘brilliance’ she’s displaying...?...the ‘wrong diagnosis’ as it were, could be just as damaging as no diagnosis at all when one is needed and most definitely applies and there are similarities displayed in children with dispraxia and ‘gifted children’....I would certainly continue your ‘battle’ of communication, relentlessly... I’m not really sure what else to suggest as funding is a huge issue here in England even when it’s obvious to all that a child isn’t being sassy or naughty and that there are very definite reasons for their struggles and frustrations in certain areas of co-ordination, as is the thing it would seem with your experiences....

TS comes across as one of those nightmare parents if you ask me :hee: