PDA

View Full Version : How good are you at 'switching off'?

MTVN
24-02-2018, 11:25 PM
Do you leave work at the door or do you keep thinking about it?

I've become bad at this when I always thought I was quite good at it. On my days off I now end up checking my work emails 3 or 4 times a day and I find myself thinking about work quite a lot when I'm not there. I like my job so I don't consider this much of a hardship but I also feel like it's unhealthy to think about work when you're not there :think:

Opinions?

Smithy
24-02-2018, 11:39 PM
I’ve always been pretty good at it, when I was in retail I’d take a look at messages/emails but wouldn’t generally reply, I like it when it goes to pot when I’m not around, so anytime I saw something was going on, I wouldn’t give my input I’d just cackle at home :hehe:

MTVN
24-02-2018, 11:50 PM
I’ve always been pretty good at it, when I was in retail I’d take a look at messages/emails but wouldn’t generally reply, I like it when it goes to pot when I’m not around, so anytime I saw something was going on, I wouldn’t give my input I’d just cackle at home :hehe:

That's the annoying thing with retail though, that you're always sort of there as a point of call if anything goes really wrong whatever day or time it is, that phone call could be just round the corner

AnnieK
24-02-2018, 11:59 PM
I am rubbish at switching off. I have had work emails today that there is nothing I can physically do about till Monday but I have to acknowledge them.

JerseyWins
25-02-2018, 03:36 AM
For the most part I literally forget it completely once I get in my car to go home... until night when I set my alarm for the next day. :joker:

I don't mind my job at all but I'm pretty glad I don't constantly think about it outside of work tbh.

Ashley.
25-02-2018, 04:49 AM
I don't think I've had much time to "switch off", and it's been that way for quite a while. I have just spent the last twenty four hours, by choice, in the office sorting through files and documents and I have thought about nothing else, not even my partner, who is away on business and I've been missing incredibly. And I feel bad about that. I think that my work has become a priority for me but I'm not going to say that's a bad thing, because it isn't... It's what I signed up for and for the most part I love it.

Kizzy
25-02-2018, 06:16 AM
I am a firm believer in a work/life balance one shouldn't encroach on the other at all for me.
You are paid for the hours you work and when you are not there someone else is being paid to shoulder the responsibility.

There should be no obligation to work unpaid overtime as eventually the pressure will build leaving you with work related stress, this could lead to time off sick or feeling so anxious you feel the only option is to leave. :(

Kizzy
25-02-2018, 06:16 AM
I am a firm believer in a work/life balance one shouldn't encroach on the other at all for me.
You are paid for the hours you work and when you are not there someone else is being paid to shoulder the responsibility.

There should be no obligation to work unpaid overtime as eventually the pressure will build leaving you with work related stress, this could lead to time off sick or feeling so anxious you feel the only option is to leave. :(

Niamh.
25-02-2018, 11:43 AM
Really good :hee:

Smithy
25-02-2018, 11:56 AM
That's the annoying thing with retail though, that you're always sort of there as a point of call if anything goes really wrong whatever day or time it is, that phone call could be just round the corner

I’d just ignore it :hee:

Cherie
25-02-2018, 12:35 PM
In my last job I worked full days in Monday’s so would check emails and stuff on weekends, that was my choice just didn’t like work piling up, now as I am home on Mondays I don’t bother, don’t have my work emails on my phone either as they are hard to ignore, I notice a lot of my colleagues have work email on phones or iPads so are forever checking them

Toy Soldier
25-02-2018, 01:31 PM
It's a good day if I'm switched on while I'm AT work :joker:.

Niamh.
25-02-2018, 01:45 PM
It's a good day if I'm switched on while I'm AT work :joker:.Same :fan:

reece(:
28-02-2018, 05:42 AM
It's difficult when I live with two of my coursemates, and one of them never shuts up about uni :sleep:

Cherie
28-02-2018, 06:37 AM
It's difficult when I live with two of my coursemates, and one of them never shuts up about uni :sleep:

:joker:

parmnion
28-02-2018, 07:11 AM
Ive switched work off today.....too cold.

bitontheslide
28-02-2018, 08:26 AM
I've taken not switching off to various extremes over the years. I've been known to wake in the middle of the night with a solution to a particular issue and head in to the office at 3am to check it out.

It's not a healthy lifestyle, but if you have that type of personality and the job you are in presents constant challenges, it's going to happen

Toy Soldier
28-02-2018, 01:39 PM

I'm so glad my housemates ALSO just wanted to play Smash Bros Melee all day :hehe:.

My main achievements at Uni were:

- Can play "Through Fire And Flames" on Hard on GH3
- Completed Resi 4 with my housemate using only the knife and basic handgun
- Pretty flawless as Marth in SSBM

https://www.ssbwiki.com/images/thumb/1/1c/Marth-Taunt-SSBM.gif/200px-Marth-Taunt-SSBM.gif

King Gizzard
28-02-2018, 02:13 PM
I’m switched off at work let alone away from it

Withano
28-02-2018, 04:46 PM
Literally terrible. I'm always working in the evenings or emailing myself about the ideas or issues I've thought up.

But I work from home a lot, so I'm used to giving myself funky hours.

LeatherTrumpet
28-02-2018, 05:11 PM
i dont really as its a constant thing so i do emails in bed if they come in and invoices and things but i like what I do so i dont ever think of not doing it. I was away for the weekend but I still did all my emails etc i just did not do work work for a day and a half.

I suppose I switch off with a glass of wine and a good prog on the telly?