PDA

View Full Version : Should Beckham get recalled to the England team?

Dan_
25-05-2007, 12:35 PM
With Steve McClaren picking his England squad for the games against Brazil and Estonia tomorrow afternoon there has been the usual speculation about David Beckham getting a recall but do you think he should get picked again?

I'd proably give him another chance as he's been in very good form for Real Madrid of late and seems back to something nearing his best and I can still see him doing a good job on the right wing for England.

Mike
25-05-2007, 12:39 PM
I think he should definately be given another chance. He is one player who you know will play with a passion for his country and that alone for me deserves to see him rewarded with another chance.

James
25-05-2007, 12:53 PM
Does anyone think he will be considered for selection when he is playing for LA Galaxy? If not then I can't really see the point picking him for one competitive game (Estonia - the Brazil game is just a friendly).

Dan_
25-05-2007, 01:55 PM
I don't think he will get picked even now despite him being one of our best right midfielders.

GiRTh
25-05-2007, 02:08 PM
He should never have been dropped.

Red Moon
25-05-2007, 02:09 PM
No he is overrated and past it.

GiRTh
25-05-2007, 02:21 PM
His form for real Madrid sayas otherwise. Even a great manager like Fabio Cappelo admits that he misjudged Beckham.

Dr43%er
25-05-2007, 02:23 PM
I think he should be in the squad but not an automatic first pick as he was under Sven. He should fight and prove himself.

Red Moon
25-05-2007, 02:23 PM
I know he can be good but shouldn't we be getting together a new side for the next world cup?

BigSister
25-05-2007, 02:31 PM
I think he should be given another chance unless he cant be picked for when he moves to LA Galaxy. If he can be picked then he should be considered but maybe not for the first 11

Red Moon
25-05-2007, 02:34 PM
Do you think he would play for any team that wasn't the first 11?

Dan_
26-05-2007, 11:33 AM
Well he has been recalled.England squad:

Goalkeepers-Paul Robinson(Spurs),Scott Carson(Liverpool),Robert Green(West Ham).

Defenders-Phil Neville (Everton), Rio Ferdinand (Man Utd), John Terry (Chelsea), Wayne Bridge (Chelsea), Wes Brown (Man Utd), Jamie Carragher (Liverpool), Michael Dawson (Tottenham), Ledley King (Tottenham), Nicky Shorey (Reading).

Midfielders-David Beckham (Real Madrid),Steven Gerrard (Liverpool),Jermaine Jenas (Tottenham), Joe Cole (Chelsea), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham), David Bentley (Blackburn),Michael Carrick (Man Utd), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough),Kieran Dyer (Newcastle).

Forwards:Peter Crouch (Liverpool),Michael Owen (Newcastle), Alan Smith (Man Utd),Jermaine Defoe (Tottenham).

Red Moon
26-05-2007, 11:35 AM
Fools his time has come and gone and he won't save England.

GiRTh
26-05-2007, 11:48 AM
He's still a quality player.

Red Moon
26-05-2007, 11:50 AM
Was a quality player.

England need young blood to build a team for the future.

Michael
26-05-2007, 01:12 PM
i think he should be recalled for the estonia game, just because they need to win the game.

Dan_
26-05-2007, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by mcq
i think he should be recalled for the estonia game, just because they need to win the game.

Well he has :thumbs:.

GiRTh
26-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Red Moon
Was a quality player.

England need young blood to build a team for the future. Who do you suggest? Lennon, Downing? they're not ready. I think it was very naive of McClaren to think he could qualify for Euro 2008 without a player of Beckhams experience. Italy had 33 years old Allesandro Del Piero on the subs bench for in Word cup 2006. He came on for most games and was easily man of the match when they beat Germany. I don't see why Beckham cant be used in a similar way.

Red Moon
26-05-2007, 02:34 PM
Personally i dont think he has the pace to play for England any more, his main forte is crossing balls so the only place for him in the team is right back where he can sit back whack balls around and make the odd tackle. He may be in form for Real Madrid, but in recent years, when he pulls on the England shirt, does not reproduce the form.

Here are sixteen reasons for him not being in the side:

1) Before the world he had the worst pass completion rate in at least his last four International games (including Paul Robinson)

2) He can't head the ball

3) He can't tackle

4) He can't kick with his left foot

5) He can't dribble past players

6) He lacks pace

7) He is liable to lose his head and incur a yellow/red card at any moment

8) His fellow teammates do not respect him

9) He goes ball chasing like an 8 year old, exposing his right back

10) He does not score from free kicks (but takes them all)

11) He has missed his last three penalties for England

12) His ego won't allow him to pass short; he prefers to hit his (now telegraphed) big right to left wing hoofs, resulting in constantly giving the ball away

13) He believes he is bigger than the England team, when he insists on playing when injured.

14) His inclusion in the side prevents the England side playing as a team.

15) Dropping him means we can move Gerrard to the right and play a defensive minded midfielder in front of the back four (Carrick/Hargreaves)

16) He has cost us (England) in nearly every major tournament finals he has played in

As for his replacement I not sure, that is the mangers job and he is rubbish.

andybigbro
26-05-2007, 03:38 PM
Yeah Why Not

Dan_
26-05-2007, 08:00 PM
2 more assists for Beckham tonight as Real Madrid beat Deportivo 3-1.

J.C.
28-05-2007, 10:49 AM
It was great to see Becks playing so well, he's definitely looking sharp. If football really is about form then surely he should be playing for England even if its just a handful of games. I think Becks is very much a form type player and that's probably his main weakness other than there always being a high chance of him being sent off.
'
Edit.I know he has been recalled ,so I'm kind of saying that I think he should have been recalled rather than should be recalled.