PDA

View Full Version : The Amazing Race UK: Race Across The World!

Joe.
05-03-2019, 06:58 PM
https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/1200x675/p071k5lc.jpg

EPISODE 1 ON IPLAYER

Am here for the cast diversity.

Morgan.
05-03-2019, 07:04 PM
I didn't even know this existed I-

Jason.
05-03-2019, 07:10 PM
https://i.imgur.com/Yq7FJ0A.png

NOT Jessica Lange

Joe.
05-03-2019, 07:15 PM
Here for Afro Queen Camo jacket taking 1 mil POUNDZZ.

(Not even watched yet so unsure if that's her birth name or prize moniez)

Headie
05-03-2019, 07:56 PM
Bye I thought this was actually The Amazing Race, it's just some knock-off version with 5 pairs and one location where they're not allowed to take any flights or use electronics :skull:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0002tvs

I really wish a channel would properly pick up a UK version of The Amazing Race because it's such a universal format!

reece(:
05-03-2019, 07:57 PM
Why is there only 6 teams? :skull:

Joe.
05-03-2019, 08:03 PM

CBBUK1 Vibes.

Headie
05-03-2019, 10:32 PM

It's more of a documentary snooze than a reality show :sleep:

Watching the first ep now

Headie
05-03-2019, 10:36 PM
Bye them making them travel 50 days to Singapore when it would take 12 hours on a flight :skull:

Headie
10-03-2019, 08:03 PM
Ep 2 is just starting on BBC2 now

Headie
10-03-2019, 08:32 PM
I like that they can do little jobs like farm jobs or pot washing in cafes to earn extra money

Headie
10-03-2019, 08:35 PM
The son is a spoilt little twat tho, feel sorry for the father

Shameema & Natalie > The grannies > The old teachers > Dad & Son > The two lads

starry
13-03-2019, 11:21 PM
Only the first episode so far but not that impressed. It's a redo of 'Lost' which was on CH5 back around 2001, some other subsequent shows (apparently something on Sky) may have been similar. The original version had different teams for each episode competing and so was much faster. The typical British tv way of having a narrator guide us through everything like we are little children needing all explained does get in the way and it does feel like some things are staged for the camera. It would be nice if there was more of a risk with the casting, I remember the CH5 version being better.

Valmafra
14-03-2019, 10:32 AM
The Gutsy Grandmums shall be missed.

starry
17-03-2019, 09:06 PM
The second episode was much better, like The Amazing Race with an elimination.

The third though went back to being more a travelogue with the teams knowing from the start it was a non-elimination and obviously the audience knew too. The time differences could have been more a factor but turned out not be by the end. Interesting in part with the scenery or transport choices, though the sat nav at the end shouldn't be necessary.

The father is really annoying, going on about how he's molding his son to represent himself.

Morgan.
17-03-2019, 09:22 PM
I'm really enjoying this, a refreshing series

Morgan.
17-03-2019, 09:22 PM
They shouldn't be telling the teams when it's an elimination though - it allows them to get 'lazy' and take easy options like Natalie and Shamima waiting a whole day for a free car ride

Jack_
07-04-2019, 08:22 PM
This was a really fun series! :clap1: just watched the final and...

A tad disappointed Darren and Alex didn’t win but oh well, I liked the teachers! Happy with the rest of the order too

Morgan.
07-04-2019, 08:24 PM
This was a really fun series! :clap1: just watched the final and...

A tad disappointed Darren and Alex didn’t win but oh well, I liked the teachers! Happy with the rest of the order too

Completely agree.

Darren and Alex were my winners, but Tony and Elaine were also deserving. Tbh, was rooting for everyone except Josh and Felix.

Also - anyone know why they eliminated Claire and Sue a few weeks ago? - it was the only Elimination and just makes no sense really?

lewis111
07-04-2019, 08:49 PM
Really enjoyed this tbh

Also find it weird they only done one elimination, I thought There would’ve been one each week

Headie
07-04-2019, 11:02 PM
Really enjoyed this. Glad to hear at the end of the final that they'll be doing a Series 2. I'd hoped they'd replace it with a fully-fledged version of The Amazing Race UK but after looking on Twitter at people complaining and moaning about how "nasty" and "horrible" Tony and Elaine were for not telling Alex & Darren their plans with just one journey left to go, it's probably for the best :laugh:

Really happy with the outcome of the finale:
Was rooting for Tony & Elaine to win since I realised a few eps back that Natalie and Shamima had no chance :laugh: Couldn't stand Darren & Alex tho, so happy they didn't win.

Tony & Elaine being 36 hours behind at one point and yet still winning the whole race <3 We love underdogs!

Hopefully next season they cast more teams and have more eliminations so it feels a bit closer to TAR, but even in its current format I'm fine with it!

Morgan.
07-04-2019, 11:32 PM
Really enjoyed this. Glad to hear at the end of the final that they'll be doing a Series 2. I'd hoped they'd replace it with a fully-fledged version of The Amazing Race UK but after looking on Twitter at people complaining and moaning about how "nasty" and "horrible" Tony and Elaine were for not telling Alex & Darren their plans with just one journey left to go, it's probably for the best :laugh:

Really happy with the outcome of the finale:
Was rooting for Tony & Elaine to win since I realised a few eps back that Natalie and Shamima had no chance :laugh: Couldn't stand Darren & Alex tho, so happy they didn't win.

Tony & Elaine being 36 hours behind at one point and yet still winning the whole race <3 We love underdogs!

Hopefully next season they cast more teams and have more eliminations so it feels a bit closer to TAR, but even in its current format I'm fine with it!

I hated Darren and Alex in the first two episodes, but I really warmed to them. They had a good 'journey' so to speak.

starry
08-04-2019, 11:35 AM
Couldn't stand the father/son, the personal stories got very repetitive and felt extremely manipulative on this. It's like things weren't interesting enough on the race so they had to seek drama in pre-arranged confessionals about the son's 'development', the hard times of the big woman and the friendship of the business partners. At least they cut the 'Yorkshire stinginess' storyline towards the end. I thought the bad back was played up so they had a break for a day to make the race closer.

The old people were definitely more likeable than the others to me and there was an underdog feel to it. The two lagging teams seemed happy with them winning too, they may have been liked more than the father/son. It was obvious they were winning towards the end I thought, the 'we can see them!!' line has been used on The Amazing Race and it's virtually always a lie just to make things seem close. I've always thought the ship towers looks ridiculous, but I liked the twist of having to pay to get to the top of the final building. Obviously the girls didn't see the last placed team, the production will have told them to give some money over.

It's a passable kind of program but I can't see it lasting anything like as long as The Amazing Race has, let alone having different versions across the world. The work/sightseeing sections don't really have the drama that Amazing Race tasks have.

starry
08-04-2019, 11:41 AM
Really enjoyed this tbh

Also find it weird they only done one elimination, I thought There would’ve been one each week

Maybe they have to make it different from The Amazing Race.

And yet the only real difference in this are the work segments which take up hardly any of the program anyway, and as it seems pretty boring that's likely a good thing.

Valmafra
08-04-2019, 01:38 PM
Yorkshire #1!

Morgan.
08-04-2019, 07:22 PM
Alex is campaigning to get on IAC :skull:

LukeB
08-04-2019, 07:24 PM
They really should adapt the Amazing Race format... it's so much better

starry
09-04-2019, 08:04 PM
One strange thing about it was how they brushed over various dictatorship issues, like China and Thailand even when it seemed to come up in the program. Such as no camerawork allowed in a re-education camp area or people only allowed to have their dogs walked around some small field.

Headie
09-04-2019, 09:09 PM
They really should adapt the Amazing Race format... it's so much better

But the you know who ladies would have a public meltdown if they increased the competitive element

LukeB
09-04-2019, 09:13 PM
But the you know who ladies would have a public meltdown if they increased the competitive element

oh that's true :laugh:

I'm currently watching season 24 and if the they saw what Brenchal did to the father and son they would phone ofcom:laugh:

Headie
09-07-2019, 10:57 AM

I wonder if this means two series per year or just that it's been ordered for two more series in general

Morgan.
21-11-2019, 08:18 PM
As well as the S2 and S3 for BBC2, BBC1 have ordered a celebrity edition.

Maxxie.
10-06-2020, 12:22 PM
This show is far better than the amazing race in my opinion.

Valmafra
15-07-2020, 04:03 PM
Series 1 > Series 2

UserSince2005
15-07-2020, 05:16 PM
I don't like this show.

It is so set up and fake, with them just happening to find well paid work as they go along. and that work conveniently wasting their time so other teams can past them and then the next episode vice versa so that they are all on top of each other the entire trip
They are clearly told what they have to do and where they should go throughout the trip.
I wouldn't care if the BBC didn't try and make it appear authentic.

I managed to watch the whole of series 2, but only out of the enjoyment of having done a similar but much more adventurous trip in that region myself.

Also the people who won series 2 are cheats!
They sold their belongings such as earphones and other **** to win at the last minute.
They therefore didnt make it between point a and b for the price of the airfare + money earned by working local jobs.
A clear rule break and very unfortunate for both the 2nd and 3rd teams.

The series 3 people should bring watches and an iphone and sell it when they need more money.