PDA

View Full Version : Racism hits "Big Brother" Australia

Red Moon
20-06-2007, 09:47 AM
Racism hits "Big Brother" Australia"Aussies, I don't think there are enough Aussies in the house," big brother contestant, Andrew said. The "Big Brother" contestant appeared to have analyzed the appearance of housemates in the house before declaring that maybe "Big Brother" should have a special eviction to non-appearing Australians in the house because according to him the "Aussies" seemed to be numbered by darker looking housemates.

"Big Brother" had advised housemates previously that only male housemates were up for eviction after males out numbered female housemates, which triggered the racist comment by Andrew that there were not enough "Aussies" in the house and therefore an eviction for those who did not appear as "Aussies" should be held.

Contestants are Australian

All housemates in "Big Brother" Australia are Australian, but because some contestants have cultural backgrounds, Andrew may not class them as Australian.

Firefighter, Andrew, who caused a stir for his disloyalty to housemates in the early part of the season, is now facing eviction as his demeanor continues to spark tension in the house.

This is the first major incident of racism in Australia and follows a recent uproar in India and Britain, where her housemates because of her race harassed an Indian contestant on Big Brother UK.

Reality TV

Last year on "Big Brother" Australia, two housemates were evicted for "sexual harassment," and the Australian Prime Minister, John Howard called to ban the show. The racist comment this year has triggered anger.

Reality TV show seems to be in the negative spotlight after another racist comment was made by Lucy Buchanan, on a UK television show, "Shipwrecked" when she described black people as "really bad" and said she was all for "slavery." The television network, Channel 4, has since been cleared over the racist comments, for they were not liable for the contestants' opinion.

"Big Brother" Australia is currently being filmed in Movie World on the Gold Coast.
Source:
News Blaze (http://newsblaze.com/story/20070619155951alih.nb/newsblaze/TOPSTORY/Top-Stories.html)

Captain.Remy
20-06-2007, 09:55 AM
I watch BB Australia for 3 years and I'm not surpised about what Andrew said, he's just somebody really weird, nasty and makes people incomfortable. BB Australia is in a negative way with all the medias now. Last year's sexual harrasment, this year we had Emma and her died father and now Andrew being racist.
They have to eject him for that, if he's not he will be evicted on the double eviction next sunday and will have some big problems.

Mrluvaluva
20-06-2007, 09:55 AM
Here we go again.......

Mrluvaluva
20-06-2007, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Red Moon

Last year on "Big Brother" Australia, two housemates were evicted for "sexual harassment," and the Australian Prime Minister, John Howard called to ban the show.

And I would hardly call dangling your privates in someones face whilst being held down by another "sexual harassment". They should have been locked up!

Captain.Remy
20-06-2007, 10:00 AM
I think there won't be an 8th season definatly, BB AUS has made too many scandals. By the way, the ratings this year were the lowest so far and people don't watch it anylonger because of cheating and a boring season.

dtd2
20-06-2007, 11:49 AM
Haha, they say it is filmed at Movie World, do they mean Dream World lol?

Captain.Remy
20-06-2007, 01:28 PM
Yes , journalists are funny sometimes !

Arneldo
20-06-2007, 01:33 PM
Keep him in, let the hate grow, and then evict him on Sunday. Although knowing the aussie public they will still cheer him when he leaves.

Captain.Remy
20-06-2007, 01:40 PM
Yes I can't belive they will cheer him, it's just not fair ! He needs and deserves some huge boos ! Booooo (that was mine lol)

CassetteFinger
20-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Mrluvaluva
Here we go again.......

:rolleyes:

Simple_Plan
20-06-2007, 04:53 PM
Why Will The Aussies Cheer Him On The Way Out ???

Captain.Remy
20-06-2007, 05:21 PM
Message original : BB-rod-BB

I don't know if you watch it but BB AUS is the most unfair Big Brother in the world. They all cheer the housemates even if they are the worst persons in the world, I watch it for 3 years and none housemates have been booed.
Watch an aussie eviction on youtube and you will understand =D

Arneldo
20-06-2007, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by BB-rod-BB

Definitely. Ive watched 4 series of BBAU and as far as i can remember only one housemate has received boos [Merlin, BB04]. Other have received some very very mild booing but the host was very quick to stop them.

Captain.Remy
20-06-2007, 05:27 PM
Yes Merlin had boos, I don't understand because what he did was nice, that was a great behaviour.
BB AUS is too nice, that's the problem.

Arneldo
20-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by sunshine30
Yes Merlin had boos, I don't understand because what he did was nice, that was a great behaviour.
BB AUS is too nice, that's the problem.

He got cheered when he was going to the stage. The only reason he was booed was because he refused to speak.

Captain.Remy
20-06-2007, 05:34 PM
Merlin was definatly a great housemate, I would see him in an All-Stars season (doubt it will happen after these year's disasters...).

Arneldo
20-06-2007, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by sunshine30
Merlin was definatly a great housemate, I would see him in an All-Stars season (doubt it will happen after these year's disasters...).

Merlin was boring. Really boring. His only interesting moment in the house was when Paul started a fight with him but even then Merlin just ran off.

agentcollins
20-06-2007, 06:44 PM
He wasn’t being racist; he was making a point about it being all males only allowed to be up for eviction. Which, if you consider his comment racist, then you MUST consider BB Australia sexist.

It’s clear this is just a grab for ratings, BBAU seen what it did for the UK big bro.

Besides, even if he said he didn’t want Non-Australians in the house, it’s technically not racist, “Australian” is NOT a race, and it never has been. It’s a Nationality.

As for “Merlin” he deserved to be booed, he didnt speak and he came out, with a stupid sign saying “Free the refugees” which didn’t even make sense as at the time he did it there where actually no refugees in any Australian detention centre. Not only was he stupid, he didn’t even know the facts on what he was protesting about. His prizes should have been taken off him.