PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Eve Boxes

Cherie
06-12-2020, 10:50 AM
Are you a fan?

Christmas Eve boxes are typically given to young children as a way to break up the anticipation of the next day with some small gifts and activities. ... They can be as simple as a cardboard box or as elaborate as an engraved wooden chest, filled with sweets, pyjamas, films, books and games.

Marsh.
06-12-2020, 10:59 AM
Each to their own. I cynically find it another money grab.

:ninja2:

Smithy
06-12-2020, 10:59 AM
Never heard of them before

Kate!
06-12-2020, 11:01 AM
I think its a good idea yes. Xx

AnnieK
06-12-2020, 11:18 AM
I did one for my son a couple of times when he was still a believer.....it had new pjs, a hot chocolate cone, reindeer dust, a christmas book and some candy canes.

Cal.
06-12-2020, 11:44 AM
I still get one cos my mam’s a delight

AnnieK
06-12-2020, 11:50 AM
I still get one cos my mam’s a delight

:love:

Cherie
06-12-2020, 11:56 AM
Each to their own. I cynically find it another money grab.

:ninja2:

I agree, totally unnecessary, Birthday Eve boxes next to manage excitement :idc:

Morgan.
06-12-2020, 12:12 PM
I used to have similar as a kid, before it was another ‘trend’ or ‘cash grab’, which is really is now. My mum would normally just fill a shoebox with hot chocolate, some sweets, some new pyjamas etc and would normally do one for every family member who was staying over with us. It’s only recently they’ve actually started selling decorated boxes and specific Christmas Eve Box items in shops which is just silly imo

Kizzy
06-12-2020, 12:20 PM
Not a box as such, but I always got my two a few stocking fillers, pound shop pencil cases and silly things so they could open one of those.

Aw new jamas too.. sniff, I think I have something in my eye :,)

Marsh.
06-12-2020, 12:49 PM
I agree, totally unnecessary, Birthday Eve boxes next to manage excitement :idc:

Advent Boxes next. A whole box for each day of December. :worry:

Shaun
06-12-2020, 01:37 PM
I've never had one or heard of them before tbh... but I suppose it's not the weirdest thing. Most European countries give their gifts on December 24 don't they?

LeatherTrumpet
06-12-2020, 01:40 PM
nope. pandering to children and ruining the anticipation of the big day. Give them the best gift on Christmas eve

Your own time - to go a walk or play a game or watch a movie together

Kazanne
06-12-2020, 01:45 PM
Yes we do the kids one every year even the eldest,and she is 17 lol.

Morgan.
06-12-2020, 02:16 PM
I've never had one or heard of them before tbh... but I suppose it's not the weirdest thing. Most European countries give their gifts on December 24 don't they?

Yeah all my family in Austria do gift-giving on the 24th

Cherie
06-12-2020, 03:30 PM
Yeah all my family in Austria do gift-giving on the 24th

They don’t do more on the 25th though do they?

Amy Jade
06-12-2020, 06:22 PM
My mum does me one still

New PJ's, some sweets and some nice shower gel and a Christmas candle

Mitchell
06-12-2020, 07:26 PM
We do pyjamas on Christmas Eve and my sister always gives her gifts on Christmas Eve, but other than that we don’t do a box as such

parmnion
06-12-2020, 08:01 PM
Not a fan

Take the children to midnight mass and be done with a free orange.

Alf
06-12-2020, 09:27 PM
No! I'm not a fan.

Tell the little sods to get to bed and get to sleep or Father Christmas won't be coming. They'll soon play ball.

joeysteele
06-12-2020, 09:44 PM
No, not really.
Never as I was a child anyway.
Although I was terrified of Santa Claus anyway.

What we did at home when my Dad was still alive, was myself, Mum and Dad would open one gift on Christmas eve.

Leaving the rest until Christmas day.

Never a box of anything though, no.

Dogeatdog
06-12-2020, 10:17 PM
I’ve never heard of them before and it’s not something I would personally do if I had children but every family has the right to celebrate Christmas how they like I suppose.

smudgie
06-12-2020, 11:10 PM
Always did it for my kids, pj’s, slippers and gown.
Cuddly toy when they little as well.
Stockings on their door handles in the middle of the night.
Kept them busy until it was time to get up for the day.

GoldHeart
07-12-2020, 03:29 AM
Basically opening presents on Christmas Eve then? , i've never done it and never had it . Always saved it till Christmas Day itself

Ammi
07-12-2020, 05:56 AM
...I quite like some of the ideas of them that could be adapted...new pjs for Christmas Eve is something that I’ve known quite a few families do...and things like a games night or a movie night etc for the Eve as well...so the games that will be played or the movie that would be watched, would be nice to put into the box on a note...and also a little popcorn or sweets etc...whatever the snacks will be for the evening...and something for a relaxing bath, maybe...a bath bomb or something...those can be easily made as well...and the box can be decorated together as well before Christmas Eve...so all things done together and time spent together to build up excitement and doesn’t really have to have a significant cost attached...or boxes could be made together for others in the community, an elderly neighbour etc would be nice to give to...so yeah, some good ideas could be taken from Christmas Eve boxes, I think...and adapted to personal family traditions...

joeysteele
07-12-2020, 07:42 AM
What my Parents and Aunts and Uncles and Grandparents used to do however too.
Was hold a ( surprise) present back to New year's Eve, which we opened on New Year's day.

Niamh.
07-12-2020, 09:31 AM
Not a box but a Christmas bag, this year I have new PJs, fluffy socks and a hot chocolate stick with Marshmallows in

Josy
07-12-2020, 07:05 PM
Never mind the kids, I do them for myself and my husband :omgno: :idc:

New Pjs, slippers, fluffy socks, hot choc and munchies lol