PDA

View Full Version : Will Covid affect your Christmas plans?

Niamh.
17-12-2020, 10:05 AM
Luckily we're allowed 3 households to mix for Christmas and we're allowed travel between counties from tomorrow so our Christmas Day will go ahead how it would have done anyway (Brother and Sister in Law can travel to us from Dublin/Mother and step dad can come for dinner too).

What about everyone else? Do you have to make changes to plans? Will you ignore the guidelines if your plans would break the rules?

Vanessa
17-12-2020, 10:19 AM
I'm staying at home anyway.
I have two weeks holidays from next Tuesday.
I plan to eat, drink and relax :dance::cheer2:

Niamh.
17-12-2020, 10:20 AM
I'm staying at home anyway.
I have two weeks holidays from next Tuesday.
I plan to eat, drink and relax :dance::cheer2:

Sounds great Ness, will you have any company?

Vanessa
17-12-2020, 10:24 AM
Sounds great Ness, will you have any company?

Not this year.
Will have to see my family via WhatsApp/messenger.
But I'm hoping to go to Italy next summer. :fc:

joeysteele
17-12-2020, 10:25 AM
No, then again I made none this year.
It will be solidly only my Mum, myself and a Cousin who shares my home.

NO ONE visiting us and none of us visiting others either.

Vanessa
17-12-2020, 10:27 AM

That's very sensible.
I usually work during the holidays, but not this year.
I really need some time off this time for myself.

Niamh.
17-12-2020, 10:28 AM
Not this year.
Will have to see my family via WhatsApp/messenger.
But I'm hoping to go to Italy next summer. :fc:

Yeah fingers crossed travel will be allowed by the summer :fc:

Have you moved to Ireland now Joey?

Vanessa
17-12-2020, 10:29 AM
I hope people are sensible this Christmas and avoid inviting too many people.
I don't want a. January lockdown :bawling:

Niamh.
17-12-2020, 10:30 AM

I feel like a lot of people will ignore the guidelines tbh

Vanessa
17-12-2020, 10:30 AM

We're allowed to travel abroad, but I don't think it's safe.
I'm waiting to get the vaccine first.

Niamh.
17-12-2020, 10:32 AM
We're allowed to travel abroad, but I don't think it's safe.
I'm waiting to get the vaccine first.

I think it may be a requirement to have had the vaccine anyway if you want to get on a plane (after it's properly rolled out )

Vanessa
17-12-2020, 10:34 AM
I think it may be a requirement to have had the vaccine anyway if you want to get on a plane (after it's properly rolled out )

Yes, hopefully it will help to bring cases down.

LeatherTrumpet
17-12-2020, 10:39 AM
Well i was woken up early this morning by ex-mrs LT in a panic as the headteacher and deputy at her school have tested pos and a teacher she works with so she had to go and get tested yesterday. Stupid teacher was ill last week but didnt think it was anything :skull: so went in. if she tests pos then my Christmas is cancelled :sad: I got her to do her temp and its ok but being a slight hypochondriac the stress has her thinking she has it. -it took an hour to talk her down.

Bloody hell fire

GoldHeart
17-12-2020, 10:41 AM

Since when have people ever listened to guidelines and rules ?, sadly I think plenty will ignore it all and still meet and invite big gatherings this Christmas :bored: .

Obviously some people will use common sense and keep their distance though, just ashame others won't.

Niamh.
17-12-2020, 10:43 AM
Well i was woken up early this morning by ex-mrs LT in a panic as the headteacher and deputy at her school have tested pos and a teacher she works with so she had to go and get tested yesterday. Stupid teacher was ill last week but didnt think it was anything :skull: so went in. if she tests pos then my Christmas is cancelled :sad: I got her to do her temp and its ok but being a slight hypochondriac the stress has her thinking she has it. -it took an hour to talk her down.

Bloody hell fire

Fingers crossed it's negative, keep us posted :love:

Cherie
17-12-2020, 10:45 AM
Apart from my son coming home (which he already has) we won't be seeing anyone, my Aunt who is elderly is on her own and would usually go off to a hotel for Christmas with her friend and we discussed her coming but on balance we all decided given she will be in the first wave of vaccines it would be silly to risk it at this late stage, so we will drive down Christmas Eve with a dinner on a plate and some bits so she doesn't have to cook, other than that if we do meet friends it will be in the park with the dog at a distance :laugh:

Cherie
17-12-2020, 10:45 AM

Bloody hell fire

she is probably fine x

Cherie
17-12-2020, 10:47 AM

either that or a covid test before you go, and before you come back which is what is happening at the moment, in Spain anyway

so its a considerable extra expense if you want to travel anywhere.

Niamh.
17-12-2020, 10:47 AM
Apart from my son coming home (which he already has) we won't be seeing anyone, my Aunt who is elderly is on her own and would usually go off to a hotel for Christmas with her friend and we discussed her coming but on balance we all decided given she will be in the first wave of vaccines it would be silly to risk it at this late stage, so we will drive down Christmas Eve with a dinner on a plate and some bits so she doesn't have to cook, other than that if we do meet friends it will be in the park with the dog at a distance :laugh:

That's the sad part isn't, a lot of elderly people will have to spend the Day alone, at least she will get to see you when you drop her dinner in, that's nice :love:

Niamh.
17-12-2020, 10:48 AM
either that or a covid test before you go, and before you come back which is what is happening at the moment, in Spain anyway

so its a considerable extra expense if you want to travel anywhere.

Yeah it's hundreds isn't it?

LeatherTrumpet
17-12-2020, 10:48 AM
she is probably fine x

that is what i told her but she has a headache, backache and a tight chest

I told her its the stress

:fc:

Cherie
17-12-2020, 10:49 AM
Yeah it's hundreds isn't it?

My friend who had to go to India in a hurry to see her Dad paid £200.00 :skull:

joeysteele
17-12-2020, 10:54 AM

I haven't yet Niamh.
I had a lot of work commitments still to see through, here in UK.

My Mum has in the home we decided to have there, I was to follow, so she got set there.
However when this virus was mentioned earlier in the year, and it was clear from Italy etc it would be hitting here.
I brought my Mum to be with me here in England.

Where she's been since before the first lockdown.
Since she has a heart condition.

She's misses it.
However in this crazy and scary year she's been safe with me, that's the important thing for me.

I still have the intention to head there after though, after this virus is hopefully more controlled or near to being better anyway.

joeysteele
17-12-2020, 10:55 AM
That's very sensible.
I usually work during the holidays, but not this year.
I really need some time off this time for myself.

I'm sure you will need it Vanessa, I hope you are able to relax and get that quality to e for yourself.

DouglasS
17-12-2020, 10:57 AM
To be brutally honest, no.

I have four other siblings and we’re all going home for Christmas, so it will be 5 households. But I don’t think my parents would want to pick which two kids she wants back.

We are not seeing my granddad however (unless he gets called up for the vaccine this week), which we normally would do, and so it’s impacted it in that sense

Niamh.
17-12-2020, 10:59 AM
I haven't yet Niamh.
I had a lot of work commitments still to see through, here in UK.

My Mum has in the home we decided to have there, I was to follow, so she got set there.
However when this virus was mentioned earlier in the year, and it was clear from Italy etc it would be hitting here.
I brought my Mum to be with me here in England.

Where she's been since before the first lockdown.
Since she has a heart condition.

She's misses it.
However in this crazy and scary year she's been safe with me, that's the important thing for me.

I still have the intention to head there after though, after this virus is hopefully more controlled or near to being better anyway.

Oh I see, that was smart to bring her back to you for the Lock down Joey, you sound like a very good son :love:

Cherie
17-12-2020, 11:10 AM
That's the sad part isn't, a lot of elderly people will have to spend the Day alone, at least she will get to see you when you drop her dinner in, that's nice :love:

tricky though as if any of us get ill that can't happen so I haven't mentioned it so she gets food delivered as well!

My son came home early so he could isolate so he is in the attic :laugh:

Niamh.
17-12-2020, 11:13 AM
tricky though as if any of us get ill that can't happen so I haven't mentioned it so she gets food delivered as well!

My son came home early so he could isolate so he is in the attic :laugh:

Cheries son currently

https://media1.tenor.com/images/e9436358fa330d361d00a7007e984c42/tenor.gif?itemid=15922029

joeysteele
17-12-2020, 11:14 AM
Oh I see, that was smart to bring her back to you for the Lock down Joey, you sound like a very good son :love:

My Mum's my Mum Niamh.
I was determined to ensure she was safe, being her youngest, my Mum seems to listen to me more for some reason :joker:

My Brother's are all old enough to be my Dad as I came a long time after them.

They have their families, So it was the ideal thing to bring my Mum to me in this rotten pandemic.

Thank you Niamh for your kind words.
We try to do our best.

I'm of the schooling we need to look after our Parents.
So doing my very best to do so.

LukeB
Luckily we're allowed 3 households to mix for Christmas and we're allowed travel between counties from tomorrow so our Christmas Day will go ahead how it would have done anyway (Brother and Sister in Law can travel to us from Dublin/Mother and step dad can come for dinner too).

What about everyone else? Do you have to make changes to plans? Will you ignore the guidelines if your plans would break the rules?

I was suppose to go Wales but they are in lockdown and not really safe to travel so things got changed. Always next time though, not really in the mood for Christmas this year after what happened as you know Niamh.

Cherie
Cheries son currently

https://media1.tenor.com/images/e9436358fa330d361d00a7007e984c42/tenor.gif?itemid=15922029

:laugh: well he is certainly in bed :fist:

Niamh.
17-12-2020, 11:17 AM
My Mum's my Mum Niamh.
I was determined to ensure she was safe, being her youngest, my Mum seems to listen to me more for some reason :joker:

My Brother's are all old enough to be my Dad as I came a long time after them.

They have their families, So it was the ideal thing to bring my Mum to me in this rotten pandemic.

Thank you Niamh for your kind words.
We try to do our best.

I'm of the schooling we need to look after our Parents.
So doing my very best to do so.

Aww :love: I hope my kids are that good to me when I get older!

I suppose with the big age gap you were probably like an only child with her

I was suppose to go Wales but they are in lockdown and not really safe to travel so things got changed. Always next time though, not really in the mood for Christmas this year after what happened as you know Niamh.

Yeah of course, hope you're doing OK or as well as you can be :hug:

Oliver_W
17-12-2020, 11:18 AM
Not much, beyond isolating before and after Christmas Day. We all either work in education or have desk jobs in healthcare (or have retired or are school kids), so none of us need to go to work until the new year. So our Christmas Day plans haven't really changed, but our Christmas Time plans have.

joeysteele
17-12-2020, 11:22 AM
Aww :love: I hope my kids are that good to me when I get older!

I suppose with the big age gap you were probably like an only child with her

Yeah of course, hope you're doing OK or as well as you can be :hug:

Yes I think I was Niamh.

Mum was in her 40s when she had me.
Thought I was bad indigestion at first.
:joker:

Then had to start all the baby stuff again with me up to and after I was born.
Which she did happily just as as I do now in my care, support and protection of Mum.

Niamh.
17-12-2020, 11:28 AM
Yes I think I was Niamh.

Mum was in her 40s when she had me.
Thought I was bad indigestion at first.
:joker:

Then had to start all the baby stuff again with me up to and after I was born.
Which she did happily just as as I do now in my care, support and protection of Mum.

:laugh2:

Brilliant

Babayaro.
17-12-2020, 11:31 AM
Nope. My Brother and I (one household) will be going to my Dad's for Christmas and nothing will change that :)

Niamh.
17-12-2020, 11:32 AM
Nope. My Brother and I (one household) will be going to my Dad's for Christmas and nothing will change that :)

Is that still within your guidelines or does it break them where you are?

reece(:
17-12-2020, 11:32 AM
No, I will be seeing my small family through the Christmas period, and my two best friends from my hometown who I've not seen in half a year.

LeatherTrumpet
17-12-2020, 11:35 AM

no he can do that for the christmas day

LeatherTrumpet
17-12-2020, 11:35 AM
ex-mrs LT is Negative

thank FKC for that

Niamh.
17-12-2020, 11:36 AM
ex-mrs LT is Negative

thank FKC for that

Oh brilliant, Christmas is back on again then :laugh:

LeatherTrumpet
17-12-2020, 11:44 AM
Oh brilliant, Christmas is back on again then :laugh:

yes so middle girl LT is coming from uni and my eldest and the boy will come too so we will be 5 of us for a day. we always had a big jmeal out on the 27th with my brothers family but we cant do that this year so i think we will briefly meet for a present exchange only

Cherie
17-12-2020, 11:46 AM
ex-mrs LT is Negative

thank FKC for that

:dance::dance:

Cherie
17-12-2020, 11:47 AM

up to 3 households in England/Scot/NI, but the less people the better
Up to 2 in Wales

AnnieK
17-12-2020, 11:54 AM

Aw, hope you're ok Luke?

:love:

Its a quiet one for me, just my Dad (as he's in our support bubble) and my son.

Will be strange.....

Niamh.
17-12-2020, 11:58 AM
yes so middle girl LT is coming from uni and my eldest and the boy will come too so we will be 5 of us for a day. we always had a big jmeal out on the 27th with my brothers family but we cant do that this year so i think we will briefly meet for a present exchange only

That's lovely you'll have all your kids around though for Christmas Day :love:

Captain.Remy
Usually we're spending the 24th with my dad and his family, and the 25th with my mother, my sister and her kids, and my husband's family.

This year we'll be doing the 24th with his family (us two, his parents and his brother only), and the 25th with my mother, my sister, her husband and two kids (we'll be 7). I will see my dad on the 26th. He won't be alone though, he will spend it with his family.

Niamh.
up to 3 households in England/Scot/NI, but the less people the better
Up to 2 in Wales

Same as Ireland so, are the figures particularly bad in Wales or?

Cherie
17-12-2020, 12:02 PM
Same as Ireland so, are the figures particularly bad in Wales or?

Parts of Wales, they are going into full lockdown on the 27th :skull:

Ammi
17-12-2020, 12:53 PM

...Luke...:hug:..

Nicky91
17-12-2020, 12:56 PM
No

we never have too many family members over anyway

we will stick to the distancing, no hugs etc so there is one difference than normally

Ammi
17-12-2020, 12:58 PM
Usually we're spending the 24th with my dad and his family, and the 25th with my mother, my sister and her kids, and my husband's family.

This year we'll be doing the 24th with his family (us two, his parents and his brother only), and the 25th with my mother, my sister, her husband and two kids (we'll be 7). I will see my dad on the 26th. He won't be alone though, he will spend it with his family.

...awww, so special to have your Christmas extended over a few days, Remy and not just a one day only thing...and your first Christmas with a husband ...:lovedup:...I wish you and your families a very beautiful Christmas...:love:..

Jessica.
17-12-2020, 12:59 PM
Yes, usually we spend Christmas with my bf's entire family, like 6 or 7 households. This year it will just be three households and we are still gonna wear masks and keep distance indoors because my bf's grandma is 90.

Ammi
17-12-2020, 01:02 PM
Yes, usually we spend Christmas with my bf's entire family, like 6 or 7 households. This year it will just be three households and we are still gonna wear masks and keep distance indoors because my bf's grandma is 90.

...I guess that the way we’ll think of it, Jess...is that for those family who we’re not able to spend The time with as we usually we would have....?...is that we’re giving the best gift we can, which is safety...you have a lovely celebration, my love...:love:..

Ammi
17-12-2020, 01:05 PM
ex-mrs LT is Negative

thank FKC for that

...ughhhhh, I’m so glad...:hug:..divorce her again for giving you such a worry, LT...

Tom4784
17-12-2020, 01:07 PM
The only thing it'll affect is us going to see the family on the morning. I usually see my friends on the afternoon but we made plans to instead do something over zoom so that's not much of a change.

Jessica.
17-12-2020, 01:08 PM
...I guess that the way we’ll think of it, Jess...is that for those family who we’re not able to spend The time with as we usually we would have....?...is that we’re giving the best gift we can, which is safety...you have a lovely celebration, my love...:love:..

Yeah, that's how I see it as well. :love:

Niamh.
17-12-2020, 01:09 PM

Busy schedule Remy, enjoy :love:

No

we never have too many family members over anyway

we will stick to the distancing, no hugs etc so there is one difference than normally

I'm sure you will have a lovely day anyway Nicky :love:

Hopefully you will be able to get to see your own family soon too :love:

...ughhhhh, I’m so glad...:hug:..divorce her again for giving you such a worry, LT...

:laugh2:

Niamh.
17-12-2020, 01:09 PM
The only thing it'll affect is us going to see the family on the morning. I usually see my friends on the afternoon but we made plans to instead do something over zoom so that's not much of a change.

Zoom is the new going out :laugh:

Jessica.
17-12-2020, 01:11 PM
Hopefully you will be able to get to see your own family soon too :love:

Yeah, it's really getting me down that I have no idea when I will see them again, all of my nieces and nephews are growing up and I'm not there for it. :sad:

Niamh.
17-12-2020, 01:12 PM
Yeah, it's really getting me down that I have no idea when I will see them again, all of my nieces and nephews are growing up and I'm not there for it. :sad:

I know, this year must have been tough for you but it seem's like there's a light at the end of the tunnel now

Jessica.
17-12-2020, 01:14 PM
I know, this year must have been tough for you but it seem's like there's a light at the end of the tunnel now

Yes, I'll definitely say yes to any possible vaccine I can get, I'd never forgive myself if I got someone sick by risking things.

Niamh.
17-12-2020, 01:17 PM
Yes, I'll definitely say yes to any possible vaccine I can get, I'd never forgive myself if I got someone sick by risking things.

I won't lie that I'm a bit nervous about how fast it's been rolled out and no real data on long term effects but honestly I don't think we'll all have much choice but to get it if we want some sort of normality to return

bitontheslide
17-12-2020, 01:19 PM
I postponed our Christmas visit to relatives this year, i just don't think its worth it when we will be able to meet up in the summer in a much more relaxed state of mind

Ammi
17-12-2020, 01:31 PM

...I think that from the girlie WhatsApp group I have...most of my ladies will be very gin filled by the afternoon, they might not see lunch time...so many times this year, I’ve wished that I drunk gin as well...(...or any alcohol...)...

smudgie
17-12-2020, 05:35 PM
It will be the first time that our whole little family will be together for xmas day in a long long time.
Daughter used to come up either earlier or later and we had two xmas days.
Now that they have moved up here, we can all spend the day together.
Our daughter in law will be here as well, she was meant to be flying over to CA to see the kids but she is in the early stages of pregnancy and doesn’t want to fly.
So, it’s 6 of us for xmas day.:cheer2:

bitontheslide
17-12-2020, 05:42 PM
oh, i forgot, i usually attend an awards ceremony in december and that was canned :fist:

Cal.
17-12-2020, 06:11 PM
No. My family don’t do Xmas meet ups so it’s just our household with some doorstep present drop offs on Xmas Eve most likely.

Josy
17-12-2020, 06:13 PM
Yes this will be the first Christmas in over 20 years that we've not spent it with family

We are choosing not to mix households at all and are spending it in our own house alone.

LeatherTrumpet
17-12-2020, 06:27 PM
the answer to this question for most people should be YES

that way we can all move forward

arista
17-12-2020, 06:33 PM
No

Alf
17-12-2020, 06:55 PM
NJ6kJ7GWtv0

caprimint
18-12-2020, 12:05 AM
When I'm home we normally have my grandparents over at some point during Christmas but not this year (which I'm actually happy about anyway), so just spending it with my parents

Cherie
18-12-2020, 08:14 AM
It will be the first time that our whole little family will be together for xmas day in a long long time.
Daughter used to come up either earlier or later and we had two xmas days.
Now that they have moved up here, we can all spend the day together.
Our daughter in law will be here as well, she was meant to be flying over to CA to see the kids but she is in the early stages of pregnancy and doesn’t want to fly.
So, it’s 6 of us for xmas day.:cheer2:

A grandchild! Congratulations Smudge xx

Lewismacfarlane
18-12-2020, 10:51 AM
The one change will be my Auntie not coming