PDA

View Full Version : Has this year gone fast for you?

Jake.
30-12-2020, 11:28 AM
I know it’s probably strange, a year like this you’d imagine to be the most painfully slow year of your life but I can’t believe how quickly it has gone for me?

If I think back to March / April, it feels like ages away, but everything from May onwards has just flown by. When I think back to some of us reviewing albums in Shaun’s thread for example, I can’t believe that started in the first half of the year.

Alf
30-12-2020, 11:29 AM
Yes, very fast.

Lee.
30-12-2020, 11:31 AM
I honestly cannot believe it’s Hogmanay tomorrow?! The whole year has just flown by.

However, when I think back to last December, it seems a lifetime ago. It all feels very weird.

Strictly Jake
30-12-2020, 11:34 AM
Its prob the fastest year ive ever known. Its almost like waking from a coma or something. I have no idea where its gone or what I have done with this year

Calderyon
30-12-2020, 11:49 AM
They go slow when you're young, they go fast when you're old.

Daniel.
30-12-2020, 11:59 AM
January - June felt pretty normal, but since June I feel I've blinked and now were at New Year. Gone ridiculously fast.

Cherie
30-12-2020, 01:18 PM
Super fast given we have been at home for most of it

caprimint
30-12-2020, 01:20 PM
Sooo fast. I can't believe it's already gonna be the new year in a few days. I remember my last new years sooo clearly like it doesn't feel like a year ago at all

LeatherTrumpet
30-12-2020, 01:23 PM
As we grow older, it can often feel like time goes by faster and faster. ... Focusing on visual perception, Bejan posits that slower processing times result in us perceiving fewer 'frames-per-second' – more actual time passes between the perception of each new mental image. This is what leads to time passing more rapidly.

http://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2019/no-not-just-time-speeds-get-older/#:~:text=As%20we%20grow%20older%2C%20it,goes%20by% 20faster%20and%20faster.&text=Focusing%20on%20visual%20perception%2C%20Beja n,to%20time%20passing%20more%20rapidly.

smudgie
30-12-2020, 01:43 PM
Flying by.
But then I am ancient.

Kate!
30-12-2020, 02:56 PM
Flying by.
But then I am ancient.

Same Smudge.

bitontheslide
30-12-2020, 05:47 PM
As we grow older, it can often feel like time goes by faster and faster. ... Focusing on visual perception, Bejan posits that slower processing times result in us perceiving fewer 'frames-per-second' – more actual time passes between the perception of each new mental image. This is what leads to time passing more rapidly.

http://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2019/no-not-just-time-speeds-get-older/#:~:text=As%20we%20grow%20older%2C%20it,goes%20by% 20faster%20and%20faster.&text=Focusing%20on%20visual%20perception%2C%20Beja n,to%20time%20passing%20more%20rapidly.

There is also another angle. When you are a toddler, everything you encounter is brand new and exciting, your brain is sucking in new information constantly. There are so many stimulating events that time crawls because you have so many new things to remember. When i was in primary school, school holidays literally lasted an age :laugh:

As you go through the education system and get your first job, get married, buy a house etc. You continue to have regular stimulation, so time will pass faster than as a kid. Get to 30+ and there is less and less new stimulation so time passes much faster

LeatherTrumpet
30-12-2020, 06:13 PM
There is also another angle. When you are a toddler, everything you encounter is brand new and exciting, your brain is sucking in new information constantly. There are so many stimulating events that time crawls because you have so many new things to remember. When i was in primary school, school holidays literally lasted an age :laugh:

As you go through the education system and get your first job, get married, buy a house etc. You continue to have regular stimulation, so time will pass faster than as a kid. Get to 30+ and there is less and less new stimulation so time passes much faster

yes the brain is able to say "yep i know the script and lets move on|" where as before it was like "wait, what is this let me take time to process"

Gstar
30-12-2020, 06:37 PM
It’s gone fast and dragged at the same time

Daniel-X
30-12-2020, 07:33 PM
I haven’t had a concept of time properly since March so it’s really hard to judge :laugh: it’s simultaneously been the quickest/slowest year of my life.

Beastie
30-12-2020, 08:19 PM
The days have been long but the weeks have been short.

GoldHeart
30-12-2020, 08:55 PM
I think it has gone by fast , and now we're nearly in 2021 :skull: , hopefully it will be a bit better than 2020.

reece(:
30-12-2020, 09:08 PM
It's been extremely weird, time wise.

LaLaLand
30-12-2020, 11:27 PM
Yes and no.

It’s dragged for the most past but then generally also feels like June to now was like one month or something? Idk. Weird.

I can’t pinpoint events that have happened to the months they happened in, if that makes sense. It’s all a blur besides birthdays.

Oliver_W
31-12-2020, 09:31 AM
Monotony drags and blends.

What I mean by that is that at the time it felt really slow and slogging on, but looking back it feels like it flew past.

Tony Montana
01-01-2021, 09:15 PM
Yep.

joeysteele
01-01-2021, 09:59 PM
It seems to have gone fairly fast for me at times, however waiting for news on so many people in my life seemed to be an eternity at times.
So I couldn't say it had gone fast from my perspective.

One thing, I'm glad to see the back of 2020 for sure.

Toy Soldier
01-01-2021, 10:13 PM

This basically, we remember time based on the gaps between novel memories. That's why childhood/teens/early 20's feel like they were a much larger span of time than the 20 years that follows.

Sooo... for anyone who was actually following the guidelines, 2020 should feel like it flew by, staring at our 4 walls all year :joker:.

On the other hand - it sort of feels like a LOT happened this year. Aussie fires, Covid, Tiger King, BLM, US presidency, more Covid...

Niamh.
01-01-2021, 10:35 PM
This basically, we remember time based on the gaps between novel memories. That's why childhood/teens/early 20's feel like they were a much larger span of time than the 20 years that follows.

Sooo... for anyone who was actually following the guidelines, 2020 should feel like it flew by, staring at our 4 walls all year :joker:.

On the other hand - it sort of feels like a LOT happened this year. Aussie fires, Covid, Tiger King, BLM, US presidency, more Covid...Yeah this is how it feels for me, it seems to have flown but also feels like a lifetime ago since life was normal