PDA

View Full Version : What’s your eyesight like?

Redway
05-01-2021, 05:59 PM
Are you blind as a bat without glasses or are you (relatively) 20/20 vision-wise?

The Slim Reaper
05-01-2021, 06:05 PM
Always had pretty perfect eyesight, but increasingly having to move things further away from my face if I want to see anything other than a blur.

Lee.
05-01-2021, 06:08 PM
I’ve always had perfect eyesight, but recently, pre covid, it started to go. I can’t read or see things far away. I now need varifocals that I’ve to wear all the time.
I’ve still not managed to get them and it’s gradually getting worse. :sad:
(I am aware it’s an age thing, before anyone wishes to point that out)

parmnion
05-01-2021, 06:10 PM
Sick of the sight if reading glasses.

Up and down, up and down.

Redway
05-01-2021, 06:18 PM
I have that fuzzy-but-manageable level of short-sightedness I’m not even aware of most of the time. Stopped wearing contacts some point in my late teens but I still crave that HD/ultra-clear vision at times.

Smithy
05-01-2021, 06:29 PM
Where’s the option for people with good vision?

Optometrist says I have better than 2020 vision :ninja2:

Redway
05-01-2021, 06:35 PM
Could you add an option for people with “20/20” vision Niamh? That’s the one option I left out somehow.

hijaxers
05-01-2021, 06:53 PM
I wore contact lens for 30 years and it caused the awful eye problem i have now for 15 yrs !
As i have got older my eyes do not need glasses any longer ~ but my problem is forever now and if only i knew then what i know now it would never have happened !

I have to have special drops made at hospital and pandemic has sent all that to pot !

Toy Soldier
05-01-2021, 07:19 PM
A sore subject :bawling:.

I had 20/20 until about 3 or 4 years ago, it was getting noticeably crap (especially things like screens at a distance) and I was getting headaches, which I suspected was eyestrain, so I got tested and have had glasses for a few months now. I'm used to them at this point.

My prescription is pretty mild (-1.50 both eyes, 0.5 astigmatism) but since getting used to being able to see well, I feel really blind without them :umm2:.

On the plus side, my corrected vision is actually better than 20/20 :hee:.

Also I should blatantly NOT have been driving without them, especially at night... Sometimes I like to peek out from behind them to remember what things used to look like and... ****... I really couldn't see at night in the car :joker:. The combination of the sort of "lens flare" effect of astigmatism, plus short sightedness, makes everything just a confusing blur of headlights. Weeee.

smudgie
05-01-2021, 07:36 PM
Okay now, thankfully.
Need glasses for reading and laptop.
I was going blind, had only 17% eyesight due to worsening cataracts.
The optician sorted me an emergency appt at the private clinic and had both eyes done about 6 weeks apart.

thesheriff443
05-01-2021, 07:43 PM
Where’s the option for people with good vision?

Optometrist says I have better than 2020 vision :ninja2:

You wont have it for long if you keep standing in front of the mirror for hours you tart.

thesheriff443
05-01-2021, 07:46 PM
I still have good eyes but I used to be able to look at hallmarks with the naked eye but I can’t anymore.

I think looking at phones and lap tops are the cause.

Bollo
05-01-2021, 11:45 PM
I need to wear glasses most of time as i am very short sighted and i can't wear contacts as i can't stand the thought of touching my own eyeballs. But (in non COVID times obvs) I am too vain and if i'm going out i don't and just rely on my friends to point me in the right direction ....

GoldHeart
06-01-2021, 03:26 AM
Can't see anything without my glasses unless it's up close to my face, and i don't like contact lense .

LaLaLand
06-01-2021, 04:16 AM
Not bad at all, I'm short sighted slightly and have glasses for reading/drawing/anything up close.

I also have floaters in my eyes from the short sightedness which can be annoying as hell but only really bother me if I look at something really bright and plain (screens, walls, bright sky etc). Like little black specks/cobwebs in my vision.

Ammi
06-01-2021, 08:24 AM
...yeah, I don’t mind the egg white...the yolk, though..:love:...

Niamh.
06-01-2021, 08:51 AM
They're not perfect but they're good enough for driving etc

Toy Soldier
06-01-2021, 09:05 AM
They're not perfect but they're good enough for driving etc

That's what I thought though Niamh! Then I went to the optometrist and when they put the little "testing" lenses in I was SHOOK, and the first time I wore glasses in the car I was like "OH **** I've been driving about half blind".

Niamh.
06-01-2021, 09:14 AM
That's what I thought though Niamh! Then I went to the optometrist and when they put the little "testing" lenses in I was SHOOK, and the first time I wore glasses in the car I was like "OH **** I've been driving about half blind".

Well, when I say good enough for driving, they were good enough to get my licence :hehe: I know it'd probably be a lot better with glasses but meh I see enough, I don't need to see anymore

bitontheslide
06-01-2021, 09:15 AM
yeah driving is a big risk. I was the same. The read the number plate test is always a good check. If you say ... wheres the number plate, you have a problem :laugh:

Niamh.
06-01-2021, 09:16 AM
yeah driving is a big risk. I was the same. The read the number plate test is always a good check. If you say ... wheres the number plate, you have a problem :laugh:

Depends how close I am :laugh:

Toy Soldier
06-01-2021, 09:28 AM
Depends how close I am :laugh:

https://i.imgur.com/VvtVh4H.png

"You're right it was an M not an H :hehe:"

Niamh.
06-01-2021, 09:31 AM
https://i.imgur.com/VvtVh4H.png

"You're right it was an M not an H :hehe:"

:laugh2:

Ammi
06-01-2021, 09:50 AM
I need to wear glasses most of time as i am very short sighted and i can't wear contacts as i can't stand the thought of touching my own eyeballs. But (in non COVID times obvs) I am too vain and if i'm going out i don't and just rely on my friends to point me in the right direction ....

...I have prescription sunglasses, they’re my most treasured thing...:lovedup:..I only go out on bright, sunny days...I’m the opposite of a vampire...

AnnieK
06-01-2021, 10:00 AM
I started wearing glasses when I was learning to drive because I couldn't read the number plate. I only needed them for driving so used to forget them all the time so started wearing them more. Now I can't get out of bed without putting them on. When we were allowed out, I wear contacts. My son used to cry when I put them in as he knew I was off out :laugh:

Ammi
06-01-2021, 10:06 AM
I started wearing glasses when I was learning to drive because I couldn't read the number plate. I only needed them for driving so used to forget them all the time so started wearing them more. Now I can't get out of bed without putting them on. When we were allowed out, I wear contacts. My son used to cry when I put them in as he knew I was off out :laugh:

...it’s funny how we start associating in childhood and almost from birth and how that stays with us...one of my son’s still says, oh bedtime...when Eastenders music plays...

Toy Soldier
06-01-2021, 10:22 AM
one of my son’s still says, oh bedtime...when Eastenders music plays...

:joker:

AnnieK
06-01-2021, 10:23 AM
...it’s funny how we start associating in childhood and almost from birth and how that stays with us...one of my son’s still says, oh bedtime...when Eastenders music plays...

:laugh:

Niamh.
06-01-2021, 10:39 AM

It was Glenroe for most Irish kids of my generation I think (luckily it's cancelled now so no painful flashbacks :p )

James
06-01-2021, 11:34 AM
I wear glasses. I tried contact lenses for a while some time ago but thought it was too much hassle. I had a look at my prescription there and I think the numbers would be described as mild myopia.

I used the prescription to buy lens inserts for my Oculus VR headset. They came from Germany. That makes the thing more comfortable to use than with glasses.

You can buy quite cheap frames on the Internet too, much cheaper than the ones I got from the opticians.

Toy Soldier
06-01-2021, 12:05 PM
I wear glasses. I tried contact lenses for a while some time ago but thought it was too much hassle. I had a look at my prescription there and I think the numbers would be described as mild myopia.

I used the prescription to buy lens inserts for my Oculus VR headset. They came from Germany. That makes the thing more comfortable to use than with glasses.

You can buy quite cheap frames on the Internet too, much cheaper than the ones I got from the opticians.

We got a VR headset at Christmas and I was surprised that I do need my glasses to use it. I'm short-sighted so I can see things up close perfectly clearly... but in VR you need glasses for where your brain "thinks" the object is (in the distance) even though in reality the screen is right next to your face. I found that quite fascinating really.

The headset fits over my glasses well though, a bit oncomfortable putting it on and need to be careful taking it off (it tries to take them with it) but while it's on I can't feel them. I actually notice them less in VR, I guess because of the restricted FOV.

Withano
06-01-2021, 02:50 PM
Super good at seeing things close up so I don’t wear glasses all of the time even though opticians told me to.

I wear them for driving, might take them to the cinema, I just make sense of colours and shapes the rest of the time lolz

Bollo
14-01-2021, 12:26 AM
...I have prescription sunglasses, they’re my most treasured thing...:lovedup:..I only go out on bright, sunny days...I’m the opposite of a vampire...

:laugh: Me too, I love my prescription sunglasses and wear them as much as i can get away with, even if it's not that bright outside and sometimes indoors... i deludedly tell myself it's rock and roll...

Ammi
14-01-2021, 07:52 AM
:laugh: Me too, I love my prescription sunglasses and wear them as much as i can get away with, even if it's not that bright outside and sometimes indoors... i deludedly tell myself it's rock and roll...

...the worst is when it’s bright and sunny when you leave the house...(...but this is U.K. weather...)...and the heavens pour down while you’re out but you’re still wearing your sunglasses so that you can see...I’ve also worn them in water parks with wave machines and a big wave has swept them off and away and I’ve had to search for them when I can’t see anything...fortunately I’ve always found them undamaged....

Bollo
15-01-2021, 12:09 AM
...the worst is when it’s bright and sunny when you leave the house...(...but this is U.K. weather...)...and the heavens pour down while you’re out but you’re still wearing your sunglasses so that you can see...I’ve also worn them in water parks with wave machines and a big wave has swept them off and away and I’ve had to search for them when I can’t see anything...fortunately I’ve always found them undamaged....

:laugh: Yes i've been caught in many a shower with my sunglasses on when the weather has turned and people have looked at me like i'm a nutjob!

aww bless you that sounds like a nightmare... at least you found them in the end :blush:

I 've often been known to put my sunglasses on my head, forget they are there and then put my glasses on, not a good look...