PDA

View Full Version : Will you continue to wear a mask when the pandemic is 'over'?

Cherie
14-01-2021, 11:17 AM
I think I probably will for a while anyway especially in busy places.

We used to laugh at tourists wearing masks in London pre-pandemic, who is laughing now :worry:

Niamh.
14-01-2021, 11:18 AM
Is it ever going to be over? :bawling:

Cherie
14-01-2021, 11:19 AM
Is it ever going to be over? :bawling:

:oh: I think so but we have a way to go yet :bawling:

Niamh.
14-01-2021, 11:22 AM
:oh: I think so but we have a way to go yet :bawling:

Yeah, I was saying to Gav last night, did we ever think we'd still be in the middle of all this **** last March when everything began

UserSince2005
14-01-2021, 11:23 AM
no.
i will never go back to shaking strangers hands though, dirty as.

AnnieK
14-01-2021, 11:31 AM
I think I will. It will be so strange when the restrictions end but it will take me a long time to trust the hygiene of others :laugh:

I'm not a hugger so quite happy to maintain the 2m rule for strangers for ever

Niamh.
14-01-2021, 11:33 AM
I think I will. It will be so strange when the restrictions end but it will take me a long time to trust the hygiene of others :laugh:

I'm not a hugger so quite happy to maintain the 2m rule for strangers for ever

Same, I love atm when you go to shops or where ever everyone is moving out each others way and space invaders are a thing of the past (or if someone does get too close you have a good reason to move away)

bitontheslide
14-01-2021, 11:35 AM
I don't think we will view social interactions the same again. I can certainly see me wearing a mask if im in a confined space like a plane or the tube

joeysteele
14-01-2021, 11:36 AM
If it ever really is, yes I think so in certain places.

Niamh.
14-01-2021, 11:39 AM
I don't think we will view social interactions the same again. I can certainly see me wearing a mask if im in a confined space like a plane or the tube

I would love to wear one on planes actually. I hate it when someone near you starts coughing and now it's acceptable to wear a mask I might just do that

Tom4784
14-01-2021, 11:39 AM
If it became the norm to wear masks when we're ill with the regular type of illnesses, it would do a lot to halt the spread of things like cold and flu, nevermind stuff like Covid.

I will probably try to wear a mask whenever I'm feeling rough when all this is said and done and i'll probably keep to the same habits of wearing a mask for a while after the pandemic comes to an end just to be safe.

GoldHeart
14-01-2021, 11:49 AM
I don't this this pandemic will ever be over , even when things get back to normality we'll still be hearing about Covid kicking around . And I think people well most people will be cautious still .

rusticgal
14-01-2021, 11:50 AM
Nope...as soon as we get the 'all clear' its coming off.

AnnieK
14-01-2021, 11:58 AM
I've liked it as well whilst its been cold. The mask keeps my face warm too :laugh:

Cherie
14-01-2021, 12:14 PM
I would love to wear one on planes actually. I hate it when someone near you starts coughing and now it's acceptable to wear a mask I might just do that

I remember being on a plane during the swine flu pandemic and someone wearing a mask, think it will become common place for a while anyway

Nicky91
14-01-2021, 12:22 PM
voted yes for a long time in the poll, my mom told me she'll continue to wear a mask and gloves in supermarket for a very long time after the pandemic is over

Calderyon
14-01-2021, 12:34 PM
Maybe.

DouglasS
14-01-2021, 12:57 PM
No chance :laugh:

Novo
14-01-2021, 04:14 PM
not a chance

Toy Soldier
15-01-2021, 08:39 AM
Is it ever going to be over? :bawling:News from the last few days (not being trumpeted loudly even though its important... But I guess the reason is obvious) is that catching & recovering from Covid, even with very mild symptoms, is just as effective as the vaccines at giving lasting immunity (90%) so one way or another yes it will be over... Really the vaccines vs infections race is now about what damage is done in the meantime in terms of avoidable deaths, swamped health services, etc.

Niamh.
15-01-2021, 09:04 AM
News from the last few days (not being trumpeted loudly even though its important... But I guess the reason is obvious) is that catching & recovering from Covid, even with very mild symptoms, is just as effective as the vaccines at giving lasting immunity (90%) so one way or another yes it will be over... Really the vaccines vs infections race is now about what damage is done in the meantime in terms of avoidable deaths, swamped health services, etc.

I mean that's good if you get over it but the vaccine might stop people who would get it badly/fatally from getting it (or getting as bad a case) maybe? and yeah the health service is a big worry for us in Ireland too atm, it's bad here right now, 13 counties are at full capacity in ICU now (Cork included)

Cherie
15-01-2021, 09:14 AM
News from the last few days (not being trumpeted loudly even though its important... But I guess the reason is obvious) is that catching & recovering from Covid, even with very mild symptoms, is just as effective as the vaccines at giving lasting immunity (90%) so one way or another yes it will be over... Really the vaccines vs infections race is now about what damage is done in the meantime in terms of avoidable deaths, swamped health services, etc.

I read that immunity was 5 months only?

Niamh.
15-01-2021, 09:15 AM

My brother and his family had it and he was told 12 weeks. How long does the vaccine give you

bitontheslide
15-01-2021, 09:15 AM

i think it was at least 5 months. I think there will be a large variation person to person, so it will just be a guide

Toy Soldier
15-01-2021, 09:17 AM
I mean that's good if you get over it but the vaccine might stop people who would get it badly/fatally from getting it (or getting as bad a case) maybe? and yeah the health service is a big worry for us in Ireland too atm, it's bad here right now, 13 counties are at full capacity in ICU now (Cork included)Well yes that's why I think it's not being announced particularly loudly - if the message in the media is "catching it and recovering is as good as the vaccine" then a lot of reckless younger people will decide that they might as well just do that, being at low risk, which would obviously be an absolute disaster for health services and the vulnerable.

In theory though, if it does "get away from us", it makes a very strong case for vaccinating the elderly and vulnerable first which I think is indeed what most places are doing.

Also immunity doesn't mean a "Covid passport" because I believe they think that immune people who are exposed (both vaccinated and natural immunity) can still potentially pass it on to others... So social distancing measures etc. can't really end until we're sure that there's a high level of immunity in the population.

The major benefit with this though, is that we can still achieve the levels needed for herd immunity even if there's a large percentage who refuse the vaccine, which was a worry before.

Niamh.
15-01-2021, 09:20 AM
Well yes that's why I think it's not being announced particularly loudly - if the message in the media is "catching it and recovering is as good as the vaccine" then a lot of reckless younger people will decide that they might as well just do that, being at low risk, which would obviously be an absolute disaster for health services and the vulnerable.

In theory though, if it does "get away from us", it makes a very strong case for vaccinating the elderly and vulnerable first which I think is indeed what most places are doing.

Also immunity doesn't mean a "Covid passport" because I believe they think that immune people who are exposed (both vaccinated and natural immunity) can still potentially pass it on to others... So social distancing measures etc. can't really end until we're sure that there's a high level of immunity in the population.

The major benefit with this though, is that we can still achieve the levels needed for herd immunity even if there's a large percentage who refuse the vaccine, which was a worry before.

Yeah and I suppose people who do refuse the vaccine will probably be younger people with no underlying conditions so hopefully the elderly and vulnerable and health care workers will all be protected, I couldn't see many of the more at risk groups refusing it

Toy Soldier
15-01-2021, 09:20 AM
I read that immunity was 5 months only?At least 6 months in the study they've done but that's because the study started 6 months ago - levels of antibodies present at 6 months suggest they are likely to still be high enough to prevent infection after years. This has been (quietly) breaking over thale last 48 hours or so. Like I said, I very much understand the reason it's not the big bold front page headline.

Its also just after initial study but very promising results.

Toy Soldier
15-01-2021, 09:24 AM
Yeah and I suppose people who do refuse the vaccine will probably be younger people with no underlying conditions so hopefully the elderly and vulnerable and health care workers will all be protected, I couldn't see many of the more at risk groups refusing itYou would think... But my wife has been chatting to her old WhatsApp group from her previous workplace and they've told her that two of the staff there (out of a staff of 7) are refusing to be vaccinated... And it's the two oldest staff, in their 50's, working face-to-face with the public every day! Health professionals :facepalm:

There is SADLY a huge group of middle age+ people who "want to see if othernpeople get side effects" before they're willing to get jabbed.

These are people who have been offered vaccines and could have had them weeks ago. And said "Nah". :umm2:

Niamh.
15-01-2021, 09:28 AM
You would think... But my wife has been chatting to her old WhatsApp group from her previous workplace and they've told her that two of the staff there (out of a staff of 7) are refusing to be vaccinated... And it's the two oldest staff, in their 50's, working face-to-face with the public every day! Health professionals :facepalm:

There is SADLY a huge group of middle age+ people who "want to see if othernpeople get side effects" before they're willing to get jabbed.

These are people who have been offered vaccines and could have had them weeks ago. And said "Nah". :umm2:

If I was either a health care worker or in a vulnerable group I'd be getting it as soon as I possibly could :laugh:

Nicky91
15-01-2021, 09:34 AM
some of vaccinated people here in Netherlands (with Pfizer vaccine) had complaints of side effects, specifically around the place of where the jab was set

i just heard last night on our late night news here

jet
15-01-2021, 09:40 AM
I think I'd continue to wear one in crowded places, like buses or trains - apart from that, hell no.

Samm
15-01-2021, 09:59 AM
nah but I do think it’s a good idea if people just feel ill and want to go out and go shopping or whatever, but don’t think it should be mandatory

Cherie
15-01-2021, 11:09 AM
some of vaccinated people here in Netherlands (with Pfizer vaccine) had complaints of side effects, specifically around the place of where the jab was set

i just heard last night on our late night news here

What kind...a sore arm? Thats kinda par for the course depending on he expertise of the person administering the jab

Cal.
15-01-2021, 12:26 PM
I think it’ll be the social norm to wear them out and about if you’re ill which I don’t mind!

Nicky91
15-01-2021, 12:27 PM
What kind...a sore arm? Thats kinda par for the course depending on he expertise of the person administering the jab

yes, and also headaches

Josy
15-01-2021, 04:28 PM
No I definitely wont.

I will though be a lot more aware of social distance and I think itll be a very long before I'm comfortable being in a large crowd at gigs etc

parmnion
15-01-2021, 04:56 PM
Maybe on a first date.

Marsh.
15-01-2021, 05:02 PM
It will probably remain mandatory for masks in shops etc for a long while after the vaccine roll out anyway before gradually easing off.

Ammi
16-01-2021, 05:50 AM
..I might do at certain times, for people who use busy tubes/public transport etc...some might feel that they want to continue...?...I don’t really much do ‘crowds’ anyway but in crowded situations, some may want to continue...

Kizzy
16-01-2021, 06:00 AM
Maybe not masks but I was always a bit of a germophobe. .not ocd or owt but working in a high traffic area it just makes sense to wipe down periodically. So will just carry on as I was.

caprimint
16-01-2021, 06:35 AM
Lol yeah nah.