PDA

View Full Version : What’s your sleeping pattern been like during lockdown?

Redway
14-01-2021, 09:25 PM
As it says in the title

Cherie
14-01-2021, 09:28 PM
I have to get up early and keep busy ...if I lie in I won’t be able to sleep and I hate that :fist:

Cal.
14-01-2021, 09:29 PM
Pretty normal

Smithy
14-01-2021, 09:31 PM
Lockdown hasn’t really affected it tbh, but I’m in my new flat and I haven’t had a good nights sleep in nearly 3 weeks :skull:

Redway
14-01-2021, 09:34 PM
Lockdown hasn’t really affected it tbh, but I’m in my new flat and I haven’t had a good nights sleep in nearly 3 weeks :skull:

Is there a reason for that?

Smithy
14-01-2021, 09:35 PM
Is there a reason for that?

I don’t think so? The bed is comfy enough, there’s minimal noise outside, I just seem to wake up every couple of hours*, it’s awful

*aside from when one of my friends stayed - that’s the only good nights sleep I had

Redway
14-01-2021, 09:37 PM
You might want to see a doctor for that if it continues. One thing that shouldn’t kept being normalised is lack of sleep.

Cherie
14-01-2021, 09:38 PM
I don’t think so? The bed is comfy enough, there’s minimal noise outside, I just seem to wake up every couple of hours*, it’s awful

*aside from when one of my friends stayed - that’s the only good nights sleep I had

Sounds like subliminally you are worried about being on your own, it will pass as you get used to being in the flat on your own

thesheriff443
14-01-2021, 09:40 PM
Ive struggled with lack of sleep for years and I’ve got a lot to deal with at the moment

joeysteele
14-01-2021, 09:40 PM
No different.
I only sleep around 6 hours anyway.

Lockdown hasn't changed that.

Smithy
14-01-2021, 09:41 PM
You might want to see a doctor for that if it continues. One thing that shouldn’t kept being normalised is lack of sleep.
I get enough to get by cause my work rota means I can get a decent 6/7 hours, just over the space of about 11 hours
Sounds like subliminally you are worried about being on your own, it will pass as you get used to being in the flat on your own

Cal literally just said that in our chat :laugh: but I’ve slept on my own before? Been in houses and hotels etc etc and never had an issue? It might be cause I’m not settled yet or something. I’m not too sure :think:

Redway
14-01-2021, 09:42 PM
Do you reckon it might be more a case of lockdown/COVID worries keeping you awake?

Smithy
14-01-2021, 09:43 PM
Do you reckon it might be more a case of lockdown/COVID worries keeping you awake?

No, I legit have no worries about that bc i know I’m safe at work and when I shop it’s usually quiet and I’m following the guidelines

Toy Soldier
14-01-2021, 09:48 PM
It's been OK-ish, I should get more sleep but with the schools off, evening times are our only time to ourselves and their bedtime has slipped back a bit to about 10.30..,so often I'm not in bed until about 2am/asleep by 3am and I'm WFH so still have to be up and semi-presentable by 9.30... So only getting 6 hours or so. I get to sleep fast and sleep well when I am asleep though. For most of the year round anyway - I find it hard to sleep if it's too hot... Planning to get aircon this year as I was miserable for a couple of months last summer. Sounds like subliminally you are worried about being on your own, it will pass as you get used to being in the flat on your ownYeah I agree, not going into deep phase sleep and staying in the lighter sleep cycles because you retain awareness of your surroundings to an extent in that state... So if your subconscious is telling you that you might not be totally "safe" then that will happen. Same reason general anxiety impacts sleep (as anxiety, essentially, is the high adrenaline state of never feeling safe).

Smithy
14-01-2021, 10:03 PM
Actually thinking about it TS, I have anxiety in general and recently it’s been quite bad, but not for reasons to do with where I’m living just personal issues and all that jazz, so it’s probably all that

Toy Soldier
15-01-2021, 01:08 AM
Actually thinking about it TS, I have anxiety in general and recently it’s been quite bad, but not for reasons to do with where I’m living just personal issues and all that jazz, so it’s probably all thatIt's a vicious cycle too Smithy; anxiety impacts sleep and then poor sleep quality worsens anxiety. But then, that also means if one starts to get better the other might too.

GoldHeart
15-01-2021, 04:05 AM
Lately it's been good, but it sometimes changes and it can be difficult to get back into a normal sleep routine.

Ammi
15-01-2021, 06:35 AM
...having a specific sleep routine helps, Smithy...a relaxing routine that starts to switch your mind off as well as your body so that your thoughts aren’t staying active and preventing deep sleep...different things work for different people, obviously...but there are lots of relaxation technique to help ...it’s difficult atm because even for people who may generally not be anxious, it’s generally an anxious time atm...and it’s very difficult for the mind to find relaxing diversions as we don’t the balances of life that we usually have...if you’re able to then having your exercise routine later in the day could be something to try as well ...and then a relaxing bath...

...I hope that you find better sleep, anyway...

Niamh.
15-01-2021, 08:50 AM
Mine is pretty much the same now, that's because I've been going in to work though, it was all over the place during the first lock down when I didn't go in to work.

Smithy
15-01-2021, 09:37 AM
...having a specific sleep routine helps, Smithy...a relaxing routine that starts to switch your mind off as well as your body so that your thoughts aren’t staying active and preventing deep sleep...different things work for different people, obviously...but there are lots of relaxation technique to help ...it’s difficult atm because even for people who may generally not be anxious, it’s generally an anxious time atm...and it’s very difficult for the mind to find relaxing diversions as we don’t the balances of life that we usually have...if you’re able to then having your exercise routine later in the day could be something to try as well ...and then a relaxing bath...

...I hope that you find better sleep, anyway...

Tbf I have a pretty good evening routine to unwind, I’m in bed with trash tv, my meds make me sleepy so I don’t have a problem getting to sleep either.

But last night for example I went to sleep at around midnight, woke up at 3, think I drifted off again by about half past, woke up an hour later at half 4, didn’t get back to sleep till about 6 then I woke up again at half 7 and I’ve been awake since.

It sounds really weird but every time I start to dream I wake up? It’s like my brains a broken DVD player as soon as something starts it spits it out and I wake up :laugh:

Tbh after thinking about it, I’m pretty sure it’s boy problems causing the anxiety and therefore the bad sleep, so it’s just something I’m gonna have to ride out :shame:

Toy Soldier
15-01-2021, 12:05 PM
Tbf I have a pretty good evening routine to unwind, I’m in bed with trash tv, my meds make me sleepy so I don’t have a problem getting to sleep either.

But last night for example I went to sleep at around midnight, woke up at 3, think I drifted off again by about half past, woke up an hour later at half 4, didn’t get back to sleep till about 6 then I woke up again at half 7 and I’ve been awake since.

It sounds really weird but every time I start to dream I wake up? It’s like my brains a broken DVD player as soon as something starts it spits it out and I wake up [emoji23]

Tbh after thinking about it, I’m pretty sure it’s boy problems causing the anxiety and therefore the bad sleep, so it’s just something I’m gonna have to ride out :shame:It sounds like you're not transitioning from the light phase when you dream to delta wave sleep (when your brain is totally on suspend and you're properly out). Basically if you're still aware/alert enough to "realise that you're dreaming" you'll wake up pretty quickly. Your rational thought says "hey something isn't right with this, hmm must be a dream" and that clear thought is enough to spark you back awake.

Ammi
15-01-2021, 12:25 PM

It sounds really weird but every time I start to dream I wake up? It’s like my brains a broken DVD player as soon as something starts it spits it out and I wake up :laugh:

Tbh after thinking about it, I’m pretty sure it’s boy problems causing the anxiety and therefore the bad sleep, so it’s just something I’m gonna have to ride out :shame:

...yeah, you may have to ‘ride it out’ as you say until it feels more ‘resolved’...one of the good things, though...is that you’ve fairly much worked it out yourself anyway, the causes...so you’re already processing it all and that’s a really good start, I think...and you’re making your routine as fixed and ‘sleep inducing as possible’...you’re a pretty smart gal, Smithy...and I hope it all resolves to bringing you a more restful sleep soon...:hug:..

Josy
15-01-2021, 04:28 PM
Same as always, I have terrible insomnia

Redway
15-01-2021, 04:33 PM
Same as always, I have terrible insomnia

Have you ever done something about it?

MTVN
15-01-2021, 04:35 PM
It's been fine generally, only thing I've noticed is that in the first lockdown I often had quite vivid and strange dreams which seemed to happen to a lot of people and that's started happening again in the last few days

Marsh.
15-01-2021, 05:06 PM
Nope. Same as usual. I think I've acclimatised to lockdown. Not had any of the knock on effects to my mental health like I had with the last 2.

Touch wood. :worry:

Jack_
15-01-2021, 09:08 PM
A bit of a mess but then it always has been

I have found I’m struggling to get to sleep recently though :think: don’t think it’s lockdown related, I just have this weird sinking feeling descend over my body that “feels” like dying, has made me jump out of bed on occasion. I did some research and it said it could be anxiety but I don’t have anxiety, I’m not anxious, so maybe I ought to pay a trip to the doctor... :umm2:

Toy Soldier
15-01-2021, 09:36 PM

I have found I’m struggling to get to sleep recently though :think: don’t think it’s lockdown related, I just have this weird sinking feeling descend over my body that “feels” like dying, has made me jump out of bed on occasion. I did some research and it said it could be anxiety but I don’t have anxiety, I’m not anxious, so maybe I ought to pay a trip to the doctor... :umm2:Sounds like adrenal surges, can be hormone related IIRC (or brought on by stress).

Ramsay
15-01-2021, 09:45 PM

I have found I’m struggling to get to sleep recently though :think: don’t think it’s lockdown related, I just have this weird sinking feeling descend over my body that “feels” like dying, has made me jump out of bed on occasion. I did some research and it said it could be anxiety but I don’t have anxiety, I’m not anxious, so maybe I ought to pay a trip to the doctor... :umm2:

So weird I kinda had the same thing a few months back I was drifting to sleep and suddenly my heart felt like it was coming out of my chest and I had a weird feeling in my throat and I woke up screaming. ever since then some nights I'll be drifting and it almost feels like I forget to breathe and my body does the same to wake up. Also weird cus the same night my nephew who lived beside me at the time had the same thing happen and the doctors just said it was diet. It must be anxiety about life in general right now :laugh:

Jack_
15-01-2021, 10:10 PM
Sounds like adrenal surges, can be hormone related IIRC (or brought on by stress).

Hmmm, I see :think:

So weird I kinda had the same thing a few months back I was drifting to sleep and suddenly my heart felt like it was coming out of my chest and I had a weird feeling in my throat and I woke up screaming. ever since then some nights I'll be drifting and it almost feels like I forget to breathe and my body does the same to wake up. Also weird cus the same night my nephew who lived beside me at the time had the same thing happen and the doctors just said it was diet. It must be anxiety about life in general right now :laugh:

That is literally it! I don’t get the throat thing, it just kind of sinks from my head (almost like my eyes are about to roll back into my head) to my legs

When I researched there were a lot of posts in the last few weeks or so, so maybe there is something to it being pandemic related and that’s what’s happening to us all :laugh: I had some heart-related symptoms a couple months back like a more noticeable heartbeat, shallow breathing after not much exertion etc, and I never got those checked out either so I’m wondering if it’s all related. Who knows! Glad it’s not just me though :joker:

Ramsay
15-01-2021, 10:16 PM
Hmmm, I see :think:

That is literally it! I don’t get the throat thing, it just kind of sinks from my head (almost like my eyes are about to roll back into my head) to my legs

When I researched there were a lot of posts in the last few weeks or so, so maybe there is something to it being pandemic related and that’s what’s happening to us all :laugh: I had some heart-related symptoms a couple months back like a more noticeable heartbeat, shallow breathing after not much exertion etc, and I never got those checked out either so I’m wondering if it’s all related. Who knows! Glad it’s not just me though :joker:

Yeah good to know it's not something in the water haahah my first thought when I heard my nephew was in hospital over it :laugh:
Has to be pandemic related!

Toy Soldier
15-01-2021, 10:24 PM
Waking with a jolt/gasp is definitely an adrenaline hit. Doctors will have mentioned diet because the breathing thing/gasping awake can also be silent reflux (acid reflux without the "heartburn" feeling) but the "sinking feeling" is definitely adrenaline.

Ammi
16-01-2021, 05:42 AM

...thing is, Jack...you might not feel particularly stressed/anxious etc but if your sleeping pattern is always a bit of a mess, like you say...then that in itself would cause those things...?...it would be difficult to have a messy sleeping pattern and it not cause some anxieties, but it’s just that it’s become part of your life...so you’ve obviously developed some specific coping mechanisms etc...but then the world changed and maybe your sleep is struggling a bit with that change and things that you’re surrounded by atm...obviously illness/virus and death etc feature so much in our worlds atm in what is going into our heads and with that, there will be anxiety for our loved ones etc...whether we’re conscious of it or not...?..and if we are less conscious during our working hours, then maybe it displays more and releases in our sleeping hours and can cause sleep disorders and etc...?...

...anyways, obviously I talk rubbish but it kind of makes sense in my head....I don’t know what your sleep routine is like but try to keep that routine filled with a very calming and relaxed vibe for a few hours before sleep and that might help...and obviously diet always helps as well but I know atm with our ‘irregular world’, these things are difficult...

Ammi
16-01-2021, 05:42 AM
Waking with a jolt/gasp is definitely an adrenaline hit. Doctors will have mentioned diet because the breathing thing/gasping awake can also be silent reflux (acid reflux without the "heartburn" feeling) but the "sinking feeling" is definitely adrenaline.

...or maybe his mum is trying to electrocute him...