PDA

View Full Version : Mental health and alcohol

Fetch The Bolt Cutters
29-01-2021, 11:37 AM
For the nutty gals does anyone with mental health problems feel like a billion times worse AFTER drinking alcohol (like the day after - not during the time you are drinking)

I honestly feel so unstable rn like i don’t feel physically sick i just feel like my mental health is in tatters

My mum said she would have phoned an ambulance last night if not for covid because apparently i blacked out and was just completely unresponsive

https://i.imgur.com/4geMmVX.jpg

Braden
29-01-2021, 11:41 AM
Absolutely.

I’m 19 months teetotal atm. I went longer during university (20 months), simply because I woke up one morning with the most horrific hangover and thought ‘**** this, I clearly can’t handle my alcohol’.

I’ve never particularly enjoyed the taste (of literally anything) either, so I find it easy not to drink.

Oliver_W
29-01-2021, 11:42 AM
Shti, that's scary :/ have you considered some form of online therapy? I know it sounds like trite thing to say but my nan's friend's son had some, and the counselling and CBT really helped him.

Niamh.
29-01-2021, 11:45 AM
Well alcohol is a depressant so you're absolutely going to feel worse afterwards Scott. You really should try to stay away from it, especially at this time when all other health issues seem to be kind of pushed to the side over covid. Can you at least phone your GP for some advise if you're feeling low atm?

Fetch The Bolt Cutters
29-01-2021, 11:46 AM
Absolutely.

I’m 19 months teetotal atm. I went longer during university (20 months), simply because I woke up one morning with the most horrific hangover and thought ‘**** this, I clearly can’t handle my alcohol’.

I’ve never particularly enjoyed the taste (of literally anything) either, so I find it easy not to drink.

Loov i’m joining you like i’m never drinking again ON GOD

Shti, that's scary :/ have you considered some form of online therapy? I know it sounds like trite thing to say but my nan's friend's son had some, and the counselling and CBT really helped him.

I haven’t looked into it like ik it sounds weird but i genuinely think it’s just the alcohol that is making me feel bad coz without it i’m fine

It even says on the boxes of my medication (antidepressants) not to drink alcohol so i think mixing them together is dangerous in terms of mental health rather than physical health idk

Fetch The Bolt Cutters
29-01-2021, 11:47 AM
Well alcohol is a depressant so you're absolutely going to feel worse afterwards Scott. You really should try to stay away from it, especially at this time when all other health issues seem to be kind of pushed to the side over covid. Can you at least phone your GP for some advise if you're feeling low atm?

Yeah i’m gonna phone the doctors coz i was with mental health services until like a month ago when they discharged me :/ like it was handy coz i had a psychiatrist on call and now i don’t

AnnieK
29-01-2021, 11:50 AM
A lot of anti depressants act as mood stabilisers and as alcohol is a depressant it stops the meds working and so you lose the effect on your state of mind. Stay away from alcohol or limit your intake Scott.....:hug:

Niamh.
29-01-2021, 11:52 AM
Yeah i’m gonna phone the doctors coz i was with mental health services until like a month ago when they discharged me :/ like it was handy coz i had a psychiatrist on call and now i don’t

That's a pity, maybe your Doctor can put you back in touch with them? Make sure you tell him/her how bad you're feeling, they'll probably know your history anyway I assume

Ammi
29-01-2021, 11:57 AM
...I hadn’t seen your thread, Scott...I just sent you a message...:hug:..trying to rehydrate your body as quickly as possible will help your emotions as well in getting a better balance back....I’m sure that your GP will do a home phone call so that you can speak to them...

Kate!
29-01-2021, 12:02 PM
I've sent you a message sweetheart. Look after yourself. Xx

Jessica.
29-01-2021, 01:19 PM
This is one of the reasons I've never been drunk, I don't know what it will do to my mental state. My dad was drunk when he killed himself. Just stay away from it.

Ammi
29-01-2021, 01:30 PM
...Jess..:sad:...

Cherie
29-01-2021, 01:37 PM
This is one of the reasons I've never been drunk, I don't know what it will do to my mental state. My dad was drunk when he killed himself. Just stay away from it.

:hug:

LeatherTrumpet
29-01-2021, 01:54 PM
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41+5YwNy5BL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

This is a brilliant book that explains what alcohol does to you and what you do mentally to react and use it. (£4.99 kindle)

" It explains how alcohol affects human beings on a chemical, physiological and psychological level, from those first drinks right up to chronic alcoholism. Alcoholism and problem drinking seems illogical to those on the outside, indeed it is equally perplexing for the alcoholic or problem drinker. This book provides a logical, easy to follow explanation of the phenomenon and detailed instructions on how to beat it. Despite being entirely scientific and factual in nature the book is presented in an accessible and easily understandable format.

For more information and to read the first 5 chapters for free please visit www.alcoholexplained.com.

"This is an excellent book written by an inquisitive and educated author who during a period of his life suffered from alcoholism. The book explains in an easily understood language the various effects that alcohol has on our body. In my opinion the text would serve as a great handbook not only for those struggling with alcohol but also medical students as part of their education. I am sure some of my own patients troubled with alcoholism in recent years could have benefitted from reading William’s book and I will be recommending it going forward."

Håvard Molvik MD, MRCS, MSc, MRCGP.

Marsh.
29-01-2021, 05:15 PM
Well, not being funny, alcohol is a depressant so yes. :laugh:

LeatherTrumpet
29-01-2021, 05:20 PM
Tend to feel low after drinking? Here are 7 reasons why

(make sure you read no: 7)

https://www2.hse.ie/healthy-you/alcohol-blogs/tend-to-feel-low-after-drinking-here-are-7-reasons-why.html#:~:text=Alcohol%20is%20a%20depressant%20w hich,feeling%20anxious%2C%20down%20or%20depressed.

Toy Soldier
29-01-2021, 06:29 PM
Alcohol will make depressions and anxiety 10x worse and is how people end up in alcoholism spirals when they self medicate with it;

Feel extreme anxiety, being drunk takes the feeling away, wake up the next day hungover, feel even more anxious, drink again to take it away etc... do it for long enough and it just becomes life.

I knew that my mum suffered with depression and anxiety as well as having alcohol problems - but I really had no idea the extent to which the anxiety problems pre-dated the alcoholism to a huge extent and had been going on since her teens, until we found some journals she had written. After she had died of multi-organ failure because her liver gave up due to mixing daily alcohol use with anti-depressants and pain meds (prescribed because she latterly also had severe sciatica).

I don't mean to be alarmist but yeah... It's just not a good idea. If you can stop drinking while depressed, then do it before you can't.

ArgyESC
29-01-2021, 06:54 PM
Are you seeing a psychiatrist? Mine has told me alcohol is forbidden if you take medication for mental health

parmnion
29-01-2021, 08:03 PM
For the nutty gals does anyone with mental health problems feel like a billion times worse AFTER drinking alcohol (like the day after - not during the time you are drinking)

I honestly feel so unstable rn like i don’t feel physically sick i just feel like my mental health is in tatters

My mum said she would have phoned an ambulance last night if not for covid because apparently i blacked out and was just completely unresponsive

https://i.imgur.com/4geMmVX.jpg

May I ask how old you are?

caprimint
29-01-2021, 09:36 PM
I think it'll only make you feel like **** if you already do before, like tbh I usually avoid it if I'm in a bad mood or something because it just makes it worse (idk if it works like this for everyone though)

Fetch The Bolt Cutters
07-02-2021, 12:16 PM
I’ve actually felt fine ever since so i think the one day of feeling like death is worth it if i only drink once every couple of months what do we think girls

Fetch The Bolt Cutters
07-02-2021, 12:18 PM
I actually think it was the brainlicker’s fault coz i saw somewhere mix sourz/vodka/blue WKD/brainlicker so that’s what i was drinking

And there’s loads of sugars and E numbers in it so maybe that was the cause

https://u5j4h3u7.stackpathcdn.com/pub/media/catalog/product/cache/172d96e30d7cd3d4380b53391edef300/6/7/67340-01_1_1.jpg

Cherie
07-02-2021, 01:01 PM
I think you should discuss it with your Mum and anyone else you live with

Kate!
08-02-2021, 04:56 PM
I’ve actually felt fine ever since so i think the one day of feeling like death is worth it if i only drink once every couple of months what do we think girls

I think no love. Its not worth it if you're gonna drink to excess so that you actually black out. Stay on the wagon with me. We'll beat it together. You love music so much ... make that your natural high. Xx

GoldHeart
08-02-2021, 06:09 PM

Yeah I've never in my life been drunk drunk , but I've had that horrible feeling when you feel like you've drank too much but I've still been coherent but just had a very foggy dizzy spell. And felt dreadful and been physically sick :(

Once you go through that it honestly puts you off binge drinking ever again trust me :skull:.

LeatherTrumpet
08-02-2021, 06:13 PM
Blackouts are pretty freaky when you lose a whole section of an evening to memory.

https://www.healthline.com/health/what-causes-blackouts#longterm-effects