PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever lost a significant amount of money?

Daniel.
30-01-2021, 09:54 PM
Through fraud, gambling whatever, and did you get it back?

Tell us your story

Smithy
30-01-2021, 09:56 PM
My ex-flatmate sort of stole/scammed £850 off of me :skull:

Vicky.
30-01-2021, 09:59 PM
Not lost as such. Though, it was also a loss and still makes me feel awful now.

Had a VERY good day on the slots. Unbelievable. Had gone on to pass away 5 mins, put on 20 quid, and got up to...5k.

Me being ****ing ridiculous, decided I was on a roll, it would be daft to stop now...balah blah gamblers logic. Upped bets to 20 quid, as when would I ever be able to do this otherwise, and afterall, it was not a loss really and would be still on a high!

Then got to 7k.

Still craptalking myself. And yeah, obviously, lost the 7k. Biggest depression ever. Most people don't know, as its...awful to admit?! Have only ever spoke about it really with my brother who also has had issues gambling, and I know it will sound ludicrous to many on here. Biggest win, I never got. Its proper weird for me, listening to 'normal' fun gamblers. I hear 'free bet of a fiver, won 20 quid, took it out, yey' and am like..why bother taking 20 out?! My sister won a hundred quid on a free bet, and to me, thats ages of more playing, she took it out and was chuffed, which I KNOW is normal really, but it still seems weird to me. Very ****ed up that way, and seemingly no improvement really.

Cal.
30-01-2021, 10:04 PM
I were mugged and got me phone nicked if that counts

Jake.
30-01-2021, 10:16 PM
I were mugged and got me phone nicked if that counts

Marsh.
30-01-2021, 11:14 PM
Omg not the same motorcyclists targeting Jake. :omgno:

caprimint
31-01-2021, 03:25 AM
Not a lot compared to others probably, but lost £100 on the world cup, then Harry Kane won it back for me :dazzler:

Gstar
09-02-2021, 11:24 PM
Stupidly signed up to a personal training course which was £100 a month. Couldn’t cancel the contract and was paying it for almost two years. The company was bogus and ended up shutting down, because I didn’t receive the qualification I was paying for they refunded me everything in a lump sum, nearly had a heart attack when I opened my internet banking. This happened four days before new years eve. Yeah.. I got absolutely ****ed that year :laugh:

Toy Soldier
10-02-2021, 12:24 AM
Most I've ever "lost" to anything in one ho was £300 to the landlord I had the final year of Uni. He flat out invented a load of damages and cleaning costs when we left the house immaculate... Was a shared house between 4 - so £1200 in total the bastard kept.

Normally something like a house deposit these days I'd just consider "spent money" - don't expect anything back, anything you do get is a nice bonus. But at the point of leaving Uni, I was moving to a new town (a new country really, we moved down to England), I had no job, and we had a baby on the way... So I was ****ing furious about that £300.

I was a little salty when they brought in mandatory deposit protection schemes a few years later as well, as we had no protection at all at that time, the only way to fight back against a landlord scamming deposits was small claims court.

Shaun
10-02-2021, 04:09 AM
Only the same sort of thing TS mentioned - losing both deposits at university because they claimed I left my room in a mess (it wasn't, I spent all day cleaning them :hmph:) You don't really care at the time because you're being thrown grants and loans and overdrafts all over the place, but in hindsight it's more than half a grand just... gone. To bastards preying on the most vulnerable and agreeable members of society.

thesheriff443
10-02-2021, 06:02 AM
I know someone who lost 175,000 years back on the stock market