PDA

View Full Version : Do you wear a face mask outdoors...

Ammi
02-02-2021, 10:29 AM
...?...I was reading something earlier and someone was asking, if someone was to walk really close to you outdoors and to catch you unawares until the last moment...would it help to hold your breath as you passed...and one of the responses to that question was ...the health risks are so minimal outdoors, especially if wearing a mask...anyway, that’s what inspired the question of whether people tend to wear masks outdoors...

joeysteele
02-02-2021, 10:31 AM
Everywhere and always yes.

Even much moreso with those joggers charging past you, exhaling really strongly as they do so.
Near yelling at each other if they're in groups too.

So yes I do.

Cherie
02-02-2021, 10:31 AM
No I don't unless in a busy place and not been in a busy place for since March!

I read somewhere that the risks of passing someone on the street and getting infected are pretty low, literally the infected person would have to cough directly at you and you would have to inhale at the same time, and you would have to be quite close

I tend to cross the road or move away if someone is coming toward me, and i have noticed people have got alot better at moving to give space when out walking than they were in the first wave

Niamh.
02-02-2021, 10:36 AM
Not outside no, I've not really been in over crowded places anyway for a long time, although if I'm going to the shop I do usually put the mask on in the car and don't take it off till I get back again

Strictly Jake
02-02-2021, 10:50 AM
Only take mine off at home now. It also keeps your face warm

Ammi
02-02-2021, 10:53 AM
Only take mine off at home now. It also keeps your face warm

...yeah, I was thinking that I might wear mine outdoors more, Jake...because it would help me get used to wearing it for longer periods...I hadn’t thought of the face warmer bit...

LeatherTrumpet
02-02-2021, 10:54 AM
Its been so cold for the last month i do have it on, yesterday i was walking through town so i had it up and on. I have a tube thing around my neck i pull up and it keeps me warm

LeatherTrumpet
02-02-2021, 10:55 AM
also what joey said about joggers

Smithy
02-02-2021, 11:00 AM
If I’m out and walking between shops I’ll keep it on bc I cba constantly taking it off and putting it on, but if I’m heading home or out and about not going indoors I keep it off

Zizu
02-02-2021, 11:23 AM
No I don't unless in a busy place and not been in a busy place for since March!

I read somewhere that the risks of passing someone on the street and getting infected are pretty low, literally the infected person would have to cough directly at you and you would have to inhale at the same time, and you would have to be quite close

I tend to cross the road or move away if someone is coming toward me, and i have noticed people have got alot better at moving to give space when out walking than they were in the first wave

This ^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Zizu
02-02-2021, 11:24 AM
I wear a snood when I’m out and about... very convenient and they are like a warm scarf in this cold weather

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jake.
02-02-2021, 11:24 AM
Don’t wear it whilst walking the dogs but that’s the only time I’m out of the house (minus going to the shops)

Toy Soldier
02-02-2021, 11:34 AM
No, but I live in a quiet area, so there's really never anyone anywhere near me. I do put it on before getting out of the car though, rather than at a shop door for example, and keep it on until I'm back in the car.

Also we always wear them at drive-though windows - which I've noticed a lot of people seem to forget? As much a courtesy for the people working there, as anything.

Jessica.
02-02-2021, 11:42 AM
Yes, always, it's encouraged by the government here.

DouglasS
02-02-2021, 11:46 AM
Absolutely not, it’d annoy me too much, I only put a face mask on in Mandatory places

BigSister
02-02-2021, 04:11 PM
Yes if im in town or around people in a busy place. Round home I don't wear one outside

Vicky.
02-02-2021, 05:18 PM
No. It appears almost impossible to catch outside, even if in contact with people for ages. Part of the reason why..the 'second wave' predictions for the protests. VE day. then packed beaches never came to fruition.

So passing someone, for half a second..is highly unlikely to be high risk.

Hell, its unlikely to be an issue passing someone in the supermarket..am sure last I read (and tbf I have been avoiding much covid stuff for a while now as endless doom, so this might have been disproven or whatever) you had to be in close contact with someone for 10-15 min to be at risk?

Mask wearing indoors I do only because I have to, and because others feel safer by the mask thing. I have never really been convinced that a bit of cloth over your face (especially given people do not change them every 2 hours as they are meant to to make hem 'work', and touch them all the time, shove into bags/pockets and then put back on, etc etc) makes a difference, but its more as some seem extremely panicky, so even if I didn't 'have to' if the situation was the same and many were worried I would probably do it. Its a minor annoyance for me, but could cause issues with other so... :shrug:

I don't even really agree with the 'well theres a small chance it makes a difference, and it cannot make things worse so its worth doing' really because..logic says to me that if people have been wearing the same one for months, and touching it and so on..it might make things worse? Also gives a false sense of security from what I have seen, in that those not wearing one keep their distance from others (from what I have seen) while a lot of mask wearers will get very close to you and that thinking they are wearing a magical barrier which means they aren't at risk, or a risk to others. Might not be the case everywhere, but overwhelmingly what I have seen.

Have even seen the ridiculous situation of someone in a mask, marching upto someone without a mask, the maskless guy trying to move away, mask person following and getting in their face and..well screaming that the maskless one was putting everyone in danger and yadayada..was a bit baffled by that as, well if the person in the mask was worried, then surely the best thing is staying away from the maskless one, not getting in their face and therefor placing both themselves and the other at bloody risk :laugh: Very odd. The person with the maskless guy (seemed to be a carer tbh) did point out to the shouty bright red angry mask person that..the maskless one was distancing, which is probably better than masking anyway, in the grand scheme of things. Obviously distancing AND masking is the best combo overall..but apparently the maskless guy had serious mental health issues and something or other (which to me..I felt quite bad that their health problems had to be told to the world, because one angry illogical dickhead had been very ridiculous in their behaviour). Sounded they had a good reason anyway. Was just such a weird weird situation to witness. I gues,s even without a good reason,. its quite silly to get in someones personal space to shout at them, if your issue is that they are not wearing a mask so are a danger to you. I would think the best way to sort that is to..keep distance from them. But maybe thats too sensible.

In short, nope, not outdoors, and only indoors to stop others stressing (and as its mandatory) really. If it was down to how safe I felt and stuff, I wouldn't bother at all. As I do not think they are effective, certainly not the way many use them. But I will wear one some places to stop others worrying as long as its needed really.

Vanessa
02-02-2021, 05:23 PM
Always when I'm a shop or at work.
If I'm outside I keep it on my chin and pull it up when I see someone.
But my area isn't very crowded. Hardly anyone is out.

Vicky.
02-02-2021, 05:25 PM
****s sake, I appear unable to give normal short to the point answers to stuff today D:

Vicky.
02-02-2021, 05:29 PM

Yes. One of the few good things to come out of this actually. People are more aware of others. I have only been barged into once in the past year. When usually its a weekly thing. Also the families walking in a line seems to have stopped.

Josy
02-02-2021, 06:01 PM
No I don't unless I'm in a busy area, it's bad enough wearing it constantly in work for 8+ hours per day

Vanessa
02-02-2021, 06:07 PM
No I don't unless I'm in a busy area, it's bad enough wearing it constantly in work for 8+ hours per day

I also have to wear it at work.
But we can change it regularly.

AnnieK
02-02-2021, 06:08 PM
Not if I'm just going for a walk. I tend to walk by the river and its usually quiet apart from dog walkers and people are usually quite good at walking round you anyway....(my son always makes a big thing about holding his breath if anyone walks past him....then asking REALLY loudly if I did too :laugh:)

If I've been shopping I wear it until I'm back in the car and have used sanitiser

AnnieK
02-02-2021, 06:09 PM
I also have to wear it at work.
But we can change it regularly.

Does your work provide them or do you have to supply your own?

Tom4784
02-02-2021, 06:40 PM
Only in narrow or busy areas when it's impossible to put space between myself and others.

Vanessa
02-02-2021, 06:50 PM
Does your work provide them or do you have to supply your own?

Thye provide them.

Bollo
04-02-2021, 12:17 AM
I don't wear a face mask as I'm exempt due to a respiratory condition... but I do wear a face sheild as I figure it's better than nothing... i try to wear it outside but it's tricky in current weather conditions... For example when I was walking to my office today it blew off my head and nearly rolled into the road....I nearly face planted trying to catch it and then spent 10 minutes anti bac' ing it so i could wear it until i could get to my car to get a replacement...

Vanessa
04-02-2021, 06:57 AM
I don't wear a face mask as I'm exempt due to a respiratory condition... but I do wear a face sheild as I figure it's better than nothing... i try to wear it outside but it's tricky in current weather conditions... For example when I was walking to my office today it blew off my head and nearly rolled into the road....I nearly face planted trying to catch it and then spent 10 minutes anti bac' ing it so i could wear it until i could get to my car to get a replacement...
You could wear a scarf. That will also protect you from the cold.

Livia
04-02-2021, 01:14 PM
I wear one in the supermarket but nowhere else. Not that I go anywhere else right now.