PDA

View Full Version : Who is funnier? Men or Women?

Kate!
17-03-2021, 06:09 PM
Do you prefer male humour or female?

On the whole I like male humour but I do have a penchant for Sarah Millican. And Niamh.

UserSince2005
17-03-2021, 06:10 PM
Men obviously, bigger brains to make better jokes.

parmnion
17-03-2021, 06:11 PM
Male humour, unless its gay me me me men, or Ferne Brady(shes funny)

Kate!
17-03-2021, 06:16 PM
Poll coming

GoldHeart
17-03-2021, 06:17 PM
Both men & women are funny with stage presence and good material.
But I've always liked Lenny Henry , Michael McIntyre ,Peter Kay etc.

Gina Yashere, Dawn French etc are funny aswell .

LeatherTrumpet
17-03-2021, 06:21 PM
i mean its not even close

men by a country mile

Smithy
17-03-2021, 06:28 PM
I’d say I like more female comics than male, but the male ones I do like are generally funnier

Tony Montana
17-03-2021, 06:38 PM
Men, not really close tbh.

Richard Pryor
George Carlin
Eddie Murphy
Robin Williams
Steve Martin
Chris Rock
Lee Evans
Michael McIntyre
Dave Chappelle

Amy Jade
17-03-2021, 06:40 PM
I find female comedians much funnier than male ones generally but I never really put it to a vs situation.

Niamh.
17-03-2021, 07:02 PM
Stupid to compare really, people are individuals

Kate!
17-03-2021, 07:07 PM
Stupid to compare really, people are individuals

Ok. Can an option for both are equal be added to the poll at all please? X

Smithy
17-03-2021, 07:09 PM
Men, not really close tbh.

Richard Pryor
George Carlin
Eddie Murphy
Robin Williams
Steve Martin
Chris Rock
Lee Evans
Michael McIntyre
Dave Chappelle

Joan Rivers >

All these men

Niamh.
17-03-2021, 07:10 PM
Ok. Can an option for both are equal be added to the poll at all please? XI'm on my phone so can't edit Polls atm sorry

Kate!
17-03-2021, 07:11 PM
I'm on my phone so can't edit Polls atm sorry

ok Niamh. Thanks anyway

Alf
17-03-2021, 07:12 PM
Joan Rivers >

All these menStan Laurel > Joan Rivers

Smithy
17-03-2021, 07:13 PM
Stan Laurel > Joan Rivers

Absolutely incorrect

LeatherTrumpet
17-03-2021, 07:15 PM
the question isnt are there some funny women

as there are the odd one

Alf
17-03-2021, 07:16 PM
Alf Garnett > Any woman

Alf
17-03-2021, 07:20 PM
Most comedy from a woman is just about slagging off men and eating cake.

joeysteele
17-03-2021, 07:32 PM
I've always been serious.
Many say I've no humour and I agree.

I don't see or get others humour really.
I can be told a joke, not think it funny at all.
Then hours or days later think of it then laugh a bit at it.

Kerry, ( bless her), used to like John Bishop, she got me to watch him, I did find him humerous I admit.
I guess if I found anything funny it wouldn't matter whether it was from a Make or Female though.

Oliver_W
17-03-2021, 07:37 PM
I don't really like standup comedy (apart from Tim Vine) so I voted male based on sitcoms I like, and people I find funny on panel shows. While both sitcoms and panelists have people I like of both genders, there are more males in both.

Alf
17-03-2021, 08:02 PM
I don't really like standup comedy (apart from Tim Vine) so I voted male based on sitcoms I like, and people I find funny on panel shows. While both sitcoms and panelists have people I like of both genders, there are more males in both.Harry and Paul mocking panel shows.

-2z-AdzgKjY

Cherie
17-03-2021, 08:02 PM
the question isnt are there some funny women

as there are the odd one

No need to be rude about Neem :hehe:

Alf
17-03-2021, 08:15 PM
This is one of the rare female comedy geniuses.

Did stand up, wrote sketches and wrote and starred in a groundbreaking sitcom, and her interview as Mrs Merton with Debbie Magee had one of the great comedy moments of the 1990s.

YWwmbkhaN2g

Marsh.
17-03-2021, 09:52 PM
Neither. It's not a gender thing. Funny and unfunny examples of both.

Marsh.
17-03-2021, 09:54 PM

Most comedy from men is just about slagging off women and toilet habits.

LeatherTrumpet
17-03-2021, 09:58 PM
Most comedy from men is just about slagging off women and toilet habits.

Yeah but no it's not

Marsh.
17-03-2021, 10:10 PM
Yeah but no it's not

https://64.media.tumblr.com/1b6a70d4ae2cff29e3c10aa4a9bfb473/tumblr_mnsf7z8UpI1qm9fxho1_500.gif

Scarlett.
17-03-2021, 10:43 PM
Depends on the person, not the gender.

LeatherTrumpet
17-03-2021, 10:46 PM
Depends on the person, not the gender.

No it doesn't

Mystic Mock
17-03-2021, 10:51 PM
Both can be funny in fairness.

My preference probably tends to lean towards male comedians though.

Mystic Mock
17-03-2021, 10:52 PM

That's normally bad Comedy tbf.

Alf
17-03-2021, 10:55 PM
Most comedy from men is just about slagging off women and toilet habits.That's a bit of a bigoted thing to say. I was only joking when I said it, I was mocking what a bigoted person would say. I get the feeling that you really meant what you said.

Mystic Mock
17-03-2021, 10:55 PM
I've always been serious.
Many say I've no humour and I agree.

I don't see or get others humour really.
I can be told a joke, not think it funny at all.
Then hours or days later think of it then laugh a bit at it.

Kerry, ( bless her), used to like John Bishop, she got me to watch him, I did find him humerous I admit.
I guess if I found anything funny it wouldn't matter whether it was from a Make or Female though.

I think that you have more of a subtle humour Joey.:)

John Bishop is funny on ALOTO, but I haven't seen any of his standup stuff tbf.

Marsh.
17-03-2021, 11:09 PM
That's a bit of a bigoted thing to say. I was only joking when I said it, I was mocking what a bigoted person would say. I get the feeling that you really meant what you said.

Sure Jan.

caprimint
18-03-2021, 01:08 AM
Straight male humour >>>

Saph
18-03-2021, 01:10 AM
jenny saunders, dawnie french, cathy tate, vicky wood, katherine burke

all icons

Ammi
18-03-2021, 05:56 AM
...^^...some excellent choices by Saph of ladies who I’ve found their work funny at specific times ....I’m not generally a fan of standup but I guess one of the biggest things of it would be less ‘who is funny’ and more ‘who the audience are’...I mean, it would be how that dynamic was made up, wouldn’t it...?...but then, people probably wouldn’t tend to watch standup/a comedy person unless they were a fan in the first place, I guess...I also wonder...(...controversially...)...do females have to work harder to be funny because as has been said so many times before in many areas, women are held to different and higher standards...I mean, locker room humour for instance is something which is more associated with males and it’s a very basic/lazy humour if we like...would a woman get away with such basic laziness and able to amuse...anyways, controversial and I hadn’t really given lots of though tbh...

...some females that can make me laugh are Mindy Kayling...(...she’s a recent discovery...)...Amy Schumer, Maya Rudolph and Kristen Wiig...I’m sure that there are lots more but that’ll do ...males, well the late Robin Williams for sure...he had that very rare thing of making you laugh and cry in almost the same moment, of really stretching emotions...:lovedup:...I like Sacha Baron Cohen and I like Eddie Izzard...I love the humour of many drag queens also...

armand.kay
18-03-2021, 08:51 AM
i’m not really a fan of stand up but most the people i find funny are women. The men i find funny are usually gay

Niamh.
18-03-2021, 09:09 AM
I've added both now Kate

Captain.Remy
18-03-2021, 09:11 AM
I slept with both after they managed to make me laugh (not that it does require a lot of effort to sleep with me anyway :skull:), so both are funny to me.

Kate!
18-03-2021, 11:31 AM
I've added both now Kate

Thank you Niamh :love:

Toy Soldier
18-03-2021, 11:29 PM
There's an illusion that men are funnier than women because there are a larger number of good male comedians than female.

This an illusion because the truth is that follows;

Humour is so subjective that most people will only find a relative small selection of ALL comedians genuinely laugh-out-loud funny.

There is a MUCH LARGER NUMBER of male professional comedians than female... This has nothing to do with how many are "good"... Just how many have tried to go down that path. Thus, there is likely to be a larger flat number of male comedians you'll find funny than female. You've just forgotten about all of the woefully unfunny guff.

If you actually want to compare genders you'd need to compare like-for-like. I personally would say I find about 1 in 5 comedians genuinely funny, and that applies to both males and females. I've seen a lot more male comedians than female, so if you asked me to list, it's look like I "find men funnier", but it's actually not how the numbers stack up. There are just fewer female comedians to choose from.

LaLaLand
18-03-2021, 11:41 PM
As a man, I have to say women honestly.

Men seem to always veer towards sport/politics/the pub/“lads stuff” for laughs whereas I find women are much more observational on a mundane level which makes it funnier on the whole.

I’m generalising like hell but yeah, women.

Toy Soldier
19-03-2021, 06:39 AM
Oh I've just realised the thread isn't just about actual comedians. "In reals" I generally find women funnier than men, the humour is subtler and cleverer, I agree that "average" male humour in my experience can often veer off into the "WaaAAAaaYyyyyyyyy!! Haw haw haw!!" clowning which is obvious and boring.

Smithy
19-03-2021, 07:56 PM
Funnily enough I was just talking to a friend about comedy films and I’m pretty sure 99% of the films that I find funny are generally female lead

Booksmart, Mean Girls, Spy, Girls Trip, Bridesmaids, Bad Moms, Legally Blonde...

Vicky.
19-03-2021, 08:09 PM
Ah, was avoiding this as thought it was about actual comedians..who I find funny very very rarely generally speaking, mind I dont tend to seek out comedy shows anyway so...

IRL, I tend to find women funnier overall..but thats maybe as I know more...'dry' women. Weird way to put it but I tend to favour sarcasm and dry wit over anything else! Men, especially in groups..are more..well..laddy. Speaking totally broadly of course :laugh:

Vicky.
19-03-2021, 08:10 PM
I slept with both after they managed to make me laugh (not that it does require a lot of effort to sleep with me anyway :skull:), so both are funny to me.

O rlly... :evilgrin:

Niamh.
19-03-2021, 08:20 PM
And let's not forget Claudia was probably the funniest member Tibb ever had

Vicky.
19-03-2021, 08:23 PM
...I never found her that funny D:

Always felt odd for that as I clearly missed what seemingly everyone else saw. Nice, yes, funny no.

I think funnily enough, enid was probably my fave member for humour. God thats going back a while.

Cal.
19-03-2021, 08:48 PM
Women :love:

Marsh.
19-03-2021, 08:57 PM
And let's not forget Claudia was probably the funniest member Tibb ever had

https://media.tenor.com/images/599454b60f15060ac168971b2b5ece5e/tenor.gif

LeatherTrumpet
19-03-2021, 09:18 PM
This isn't really debatable, with respect people imo are just trying to make a rather futile point

And it's not sticking

This isn't the fight to die for the flag on

Marsh.
19-03-2021, 09:32 PM
i mean its not even close

men by a country mile

This isn't really debatable, with respect people imo are just trying to make a rather futile point

And it's not sticking

This isn't the fight to die for the flag on

LT... meet LT.

Niamh.
19-03-2021, 10:40 PM

Always felt odd for that as I clearly missed what seemingly everyone else saw. Nice, yes, funny no.

I think funnily enough, enid was probably my fave member for humour. God thats going back a while.She was hilarious, very low key dry humour, still the funniest comment I can remember in all off tibb history is when we had a member, can't remember his name now but he seemed very pro Islamic terrorism and Claudia said-his name- putting the ISIS in Thisisbigbrother

Ninastar
19-03-2021, 10:56 PM
She was hilarious, very low key dry humour, still the funniest comment I can remember in all off tibb history is when we had a member, can't remember his name now but he seemed very pro Islamic terrorism and Claudia said-his name- putting the ISIS in Thisisbigbrother

I miss her so much. Her humour was rare but so ballsy

Smithy
19-03-2021, 11:00 PM
She was hilarious, very low key dry humour, still the funniest comment I can remember in all off tibb history is when we had a member, can't remember his name now but he seemed very pro Islamic terrorism and Claudia said-his name- putting the ISIS in Thisisbigbrother

Same :lovedup:

Niamh.
19-03-2021, 11:11 PM
Seriously so sad about her departure from here, I really hope she's ok

Ninastar
20-03-2021, 02:31 AM
Same :lovedup:

Remember when the three of us were best friends? God it makes me so nostalgic

Josy
20-03-2021, 02:52 AM
And let's not forget Claudia was probably the funniest member Tibb ever hadClaudia was hilarious I still miss her and her posts I do hope she's ok.

'Sorry to hear your mum died again'

Obviously most members that are around now won't understand the context of that and I'm not explaining it but at the time it was so quick witted and funny :laugh3:

Ammi
20-03-2021, 06:00 AM
...Claudia...:lovedup:...filthy mudblood...

Niamh.
20-03-2021, 11:05 AM
Claudia was hilarious I still miss her and her posts I do hope she's ok.

'Sorry to hear your mum died again'

Obviously most members that are around now won't understand the context of that and I'm not explaining it but at the time it was so quick witted and funny :laugh3::laugh2:

bitontheslide
20-03-2021, 11:21 AM
no-one will ever beat billy connolly for original, laugh until you drop, humour

Smithy
20-03-2021, 11:24 AM
Remember when the three of us were best friends? God it makes me so nostalgic

Ugh yeah :love: The Americanos

LeatherTrumpet
20-03-2021, 12:55 PM
LT... meet LT.

Marsh you are single-handily making the case for women

:hehe:

Ammi
20-03-2021, 01:16 PM
...The Americanos were only funny until they beat Callidus, though...then they weren’t funny at all...

Marsh.
20-03-2021, 01:38 PM
Marsh you are single-handily making the case for women

:hehe:

Single-handedly

And given the thread, clearly not. :hee:

Nicky91
20-03-2021, 01:50 PM
women

a comedy/impersonation legend from my country is Tineke Schouten :flutter:

eKRJfUpQgMg

isQdY4GmpSE

this was her on masked singer nl, as sea creature (with Mabel's don't call me up)
TQhK_6D6iQY

she basically has done everything in her career (from stand up, to impersonations, and the dutch version of ''through the keyhole'' presented that)

Mystic Mock
20-03-2021, 04:04 PM

I remember that post.:joker:

Mystic Mock
20-03-2021, 04:09 PM
As a man, I have to say women honestly.

Men seem to always veer towards sport/politics/the pub/“lads stuff” for laughs whereas I find women are much more observational on a mundane level which makes it funnier on the whole.

I’m generalising like hell but yeah, women.

My humour being ripped in this very post.:fist:

I feel like the Labour Party did when Theresa May got a coalition with the DUP.:bawling::joker:

Ninastar
20-03-2021, 06:38 PM
Ugh yeah :love: The Americanos

Wow I forgot about that :flutter:

...The Americanos were only funny until they beat Callidus, though...then they weren’t funny at all...

Lmao, if it helps I don’t remember winning at all. Theres a lot I don’t remember from that time frame