PDA

View Full Version : Why I don't eat meat.

Kazanne
18-03-2021, 08:49 AM
I was sent this on FB and it hit home with me ,I am not a vegan but do not eat meat I am now weaning myself of other animal products ,but this just summed it all up for me as to why I chose to stop eating meat. Food for thought (pardon the pun) only posted as some people do ask what are my reasons.

Credit to Mike busby
I'm vegan for...
The ewe next in line to be slaughtered that witnessed the killing of her friends, the removal of their heads which were then drop kicked across the kill floor by a laughing slaughter-man
The beagle that had his stomach filled with poison for weeks on end and then was cut open to examine the effects
The mother coyote that died after biting her own leg off trying to escape a leg trap. Just because someone's ego demands a fur trim on their jacket.
The unborn calf that was removed alive and kicking from his slaughtered mothers womb and promptly executed.
The bull that broke his own neck whilst trying to extinguish the flames on his horns, Just so that Spaniards could enjoy a tradition.
The kitten that had her eyes sewn shut so scientist could understand how living in darkness affected her brain
The mother whale that died as a harpoon exploded within her skull
The baby chimp that was whipped into performing..So people could be amused by her circus performance.
The ewe that was held by her throat and punched in the face by the slaughter-man prior to him mockingly waving "bye bye" to her.
The broken donkey, that's carried fat tourists up a Greek hill for most of his life.
The baboon that was repeatedly struck on the skull with a hammer. Just so that scientist could study the effects of brain damage in primates.
The cow that died of neglect on a farm where the judge said "any animal that sees you coming (defending farmer) should run a mile".
The Elephant that slowly went mad with boredom as a result of being held captive in a zoo for years on end.
The calf that was removed from her mother. So we could steal her milk.
The exhausted mother that died on a puppy farm after her body gave up.
The research beagle that shrieked in fear as she was punched, slapped and shaken by the lab technician simply because he couldn't find her weakened vein.
The piglet that was held by his back legs and repeatedly slammed against a concrete wall..Just because he was the runt of the litter
The Orca that was stolen for his family and died of loneliness in an amusement park.
The fox that was torn apart for someone's bloodthirsty pleasure.
The male dairy calf that was shot within hours of birth because he can’t produce milk.
The sheep that endured 21 days on-board a cramped live export ship before dying of heat stroke.
The dog that was given away "free to a good home" but ended up torn apart because she was used as a bait dog.
The dog that was tortured and then cooked alive on the streets of Yulin.
The silver fox that was anally electrocuted because people think it’s acceptable to wear his fur.
The dairy cow that was repeatedly kicked for 40 minutes after she collapsed outside a slaughterhouse because her body was exhausted and she simply couldn't go on anymore... She had to be dragged to her death.
The male chick that was ground up alive within hours of birth because he didn't lay eggs.
The baby lamb that cried out for her mother whilst awaiting the slaughter-mans knife.
The pig who's chest imploded as a result of being suffocated with CO2 prior to having her throat cut open.
The racehorse that was shot after he fell at the final jump.. Just so you could enjoy a harmless flutter.
The pig with the words "***** pig" spray painted on his back that was captured on CCTV being kicked in the face as well as being stabbed with a pitch fork by farm workers.
The "problematic" beef cow that was spotted in the kill line that had the words "shoot in head" jokingly written on his ear tag by an annoyed farmer.
I'm also vegan for the forgotten meals. The trillions of animals, birds, and fish that end up on our dinner plates...Simply because you like how they taste.
I'm vegan because I refuse to turn a blind eye... My question is why do you?

Ammi
18-03-2021, 09:06 AM
...I’ve been a non meat eater for many years but I’m recently more vegetarian..(...as are my whole family, although some a bit less successful, but still a huge reduction in eating meat...)...but I really dislike this FB/social media type stuff that is fuelled with such emotive stuff...but it is interesting as well, though...because it set my thoughts into thinking about the link between what we eat and who we are etc...and I’m reading some stuff about there apparently being very low violent crime rates in non meat eaters../ ....plant eaters are less violent..?...hmmmmm....

UserSince2005
18-03-2021, 09:08 AM
can i atleast eat chicken though?

joeysteele
18-03-2021, 09:16 AM
This is something I can relate to totally.
In fact in earlier days on here, it was actually Kazanne who made me think on eating meat.

To the point I started to cut it out and now have.
Like Kazanne, I'm not a vegan, however more and more I've started to cross from just being vegetarian.

I often get from others, well what do we do with all the animals if we don't eat them.
My answer was simple, just breed less.

A lot of that opening article is very hard reading.
Very thought provoking

Kazanne
18-03-2021, 09:20 AM
can i atleast eat chicken though?

NO, they are the most abused of all, I have nothing against meat eaters it's their right to eat it ,I just think some hard hitting facts about how that meat gets to your plate is treated it's a good thing, so user get yourself some Quorn nuggets they are so good :wavey:

Vanessa
18-03-2021, 09:23 AM
Do you eat fish?

Kazanne
18-03-2021, 09:25 AM
...I’ve been a non meat eater for many years but I’m recently more vegetarian..(...as are my whole family, although some a bit less successful, but still a huge reduction in eating meat...)...but I really dislike this FB/social media type stuff that is fuelled with such emotive stuff...but it is interesting as well, though...because it set my thoughts into thinking about the link between what we eat and who we are etc...and I’m reading some stuff about there apparently being very low violent crime rates in non meat eaters../ ....plant eaters are less violent..?...hmmmmm....

Sometimes Ammi you have to see and hear some very disturbing stuff about things to understand why some people don't eat it, I have seen some horrific things on social media that I would never have known about otherwise ,so in some ways it's an eye opener , no one likes to see that sort of thing but unfortunately imo some humans cannot be trusted to treat animals as they should be treated.I didn't realise you also didn't eat meat.

Alf
18-03-2021, 09:25 AM
I saw a video on twitter yesterday that would put people off pork forever.

A woman poured coca cola over a joint of pork and worms started coming out of it.

I'll have a look if I can find the video.

Kazanne
18-03-2021, 09:27 AM
Do you eat fish?

Yes but I am slowly weaning myself off that as well as it is also cruel in my view ,I am doing well as there are so many really good substitutes around now.

Vanessa
I'm not a big meat eater anyway.
I mainly eat fish and chicken.
I don't really like red meat.

Kazanne
I saw a video on twitter yesterday that would put people off pork forever.

A woman poured coca cola over a joint of pork and worms started coming out of it.

I'll have a look if I can find the video.

Bloody hell Alf,see you don't know what is in meat either.

Kazanne
18-03-2021, 09:28 AM
This is something I can relate to totally.
In fact in earlier days on here, it was actually Kazanne who made me think on eating meat.

To the point I started to cut it out and now have.
Like Kazanne, I'm not a vegan, however more and more I've started to cross from just being vegetarian.

I often get from others, well what do we do with all the animals if we don't eat them.
My answer was simple, just breed less.

A lot of that opening article is very hard reading.
Very thought provoking

Isn't it Joey,just what is the mindset of some people.

Smithy
18-03-2021, 09:30 AM
The ewe next in line to be slaughtered that witnessed the killing of her friends, the removal of their heads which were then drop kicked across the kill floor by a laughing slaughter-man

I stopped reading after this bc it’s a load of BS :sleep:

Alf
18-03-2021, 09:32 AM
Here's the video

joeysteele
18-03-2021, 09:34 AM
Isn't it Joey,just what is the mindset of some people.

I never ate a lot of it, I always leaned more to fruit and vegetables.

That was a cop out though. if I was eating even small portions of meat, the animal still died for me to do so.

Then you mentioned some things, and I explored turning vegetarian which I found eady.
As you say, there are many substitutes available although I don't need them either.

That's a good article you posted, thank you for sharing that on here.

Kazanne
18-03-2021, 09:39 AM
I never ate a lot of it, I always leaned more to fruit and vegetables.

That was a cop out though. if I was eating even small portions of meat, the animal still died for me to do so.

Then you mentioned some things, and I explored turning vegetarian which I found eady.
As you say, there are many substitutes available although I don't need them either.

That's a good article you posted, thank you for sharing that on here.

:wavey: I thought it was an interesting topic

AnnieK
18-03-2021, 09:41 AM
Its not really meant to be thought provoking, its meant to be guilt inducing. I find it very much like religion, if you choose to eat meat or not it is your prerogative, just as it is whatever religion you follow. I would never preach to someone about how to live their lives, that is down to them and their personal choices.

Edited to add, I don't think anyone on here is preaching, but posts like that on social media bother me.

Kazanne
18-03-2021, 09:46 AM
Its not really meant to be thought provoking, its meant to be guilt inducing. I find it very much like religion, if you choose to eat meat or not it is your prerogative, just as it is whatever religion you follow. I would never preach to someone about how to live their lives, that is down to them and their personal choices.

I've said that though Annie, I have nothing against people eating meat ,I am against the cruelty it contains to get that meat to the supermarkets etc, I just think it's not a bad thing to know what happens .

Zizu
18-03-2021, 09:46 AM
Here's the video

But that meat /joint could be days old and even intentionally infested beforehand..

I could set up a similar example with a big bowl of salad / vegetables...

Trust nothing ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DouglasS
18-03-2021, 09:47 AM
I stopped reading after this bc it’s a load of BS :sleep:

How so? I’d say it’s ignorance......

Alf
18-03-2021, 09:47 AM
But that meat /joint could be days old and even intentionally infested beforehand..

Trust nothing ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ProI agree, it hasn't put me off.

Ammi
18-03-2021, 09:52 AM
Sometimes Ammi you have to see and hear some very disturbing stuff about things to understand why some people don't eat it, I have seen some horrific things on social media that I would never have known about otherwise ,so in some ways it's an eye opener , no one likes to see that sort of thing but unfortunately imo some humans cannot be trusted to treat animals as they should be treated.I didn't realise you also didn't eat meat.

...yeah I do get that, Kaz...but I think that social media stuff can be very, very ‘preachy’ and I think as a generalisation, human nature doesn’t respond that well to being preached at...for me it’s more education than emotion...actually the main reason why my family are trying vegetarianism...(...I’m saying ‘trying’ because they’re very new to it...and I am also, I was just a non meat eater before...)...is through watching A Life on our Planet/David Attenborough...and he does very much adopt an educational style...which is really thought provoking of the planet we’ll be leaving to future generations...the difference in his own life, between his youth and now is astoundingly it’s not the same Earth...

AnnieK
18-03-2021, 09:54 AM
I've said that though Annie, I have nothing against people eating meat ,I am against the cruelty it contains to get that meat to the supermarkets etc, I just think it's not a bad thing to know what happens .

That's why I added I don't think anyone here is preaching. As adults, we all know there are some barbaric practices happening in the world, to both humans and animals and I feel that posts like this are quite inflammatory. The points in the post are the extremes of animal cruelty hence why I said its meant to be guilt inducing rather than thought provoking. If it spoke about the normal meal producing process, it would spark more conversation rather than the extremes of animal heads being used as a football which isn't the norm

Ammi
18-03-2021, 09:56 AM

Edited to add, I don't think anyone on here is preaching, but posts like that on social media bother me.

...yeah for me also...so much stuff is aimed at stirring emotion but it’s actually absent of emotion and quite ‘generic’...hearing people's personal thoughts, experiences, stories etc is something I would always prefer and think many would respond to...I prefer your own words and thoughts on the topic, Kaz...

Kazanne
18-03-2021, 10:02 AM
I agree, it hasn't put me off.

:laugh: More meat for you Alf.

Kazanne
18-03-2021, 10:08 AM
...yeah for me also...so much stuff is aimed at stirring emotion but it’s actually absent of emotion and quite ‘generic’...hearing people's personal thoughts, experiences, stories etc is something I would always prefer and think many would respond to...I prefer your own words and thoughts on the topic, Kaz...

Well in my own words Ammi, these sort of things DO happen ,they might be rare, I could have posted videos but that would be even worse, but even ONE cruelty act is not acceptable and I do think humans are the most dangerous species on earth, I don't think it was preachy , people will and do make up their own minds , I just found it highlighted the cruelty involved and sometimes highlighting it can get things done and change some things.

Samm
18-03-2021, 10:12 AM
are you leaving fifth harmony lovely

Cherie
18-03-2021, 10:13 AM

Trust nothing ....

yes they look like maggots

Cherie
18-03-2021, 10:14 AM
I take my hat off to anyone who had completely cut meat out of their diet, we don't eat alot of meat these days but I couldn't cut it out completely

bacon butties :drool:

Ammi
18-03-2021, 10:14 AM
Well in my own words Ammi, these sort of things DO happen ,they might be rare, I could have posted videos but that would be even worse, but even ONE cruelty act is not acceptable and I do think humans are the most dangerous species on earth, I don't think it was preachy , people will and do make up their own minds , I just found it highlighted the cruelty involved and sometimes highlighting it can get things done and change some things.

...yeah for sure, I don’t think that many people on the planet would disagree with that, Kaz...so many resources being depleted for us now and for future generations...

Kazanne
18-03-2021, 10:16 AM
I take my hat off to anyone who had completely cut meat out of their diet, we don't eat alot of meat these days but I couldn't cut it out completely

:joker:They used to be my favourites Cherie never thought I could give it up ,it's the smell more than anything, but I still have an veggie version.:wavey:

Cherie
18-03-2021, 10:16 AM
:joker:They used to be my favourites Cherie never thought I could give it up ,it's the smell more than anything, but I still have an veggie version.:wavey:

what do you buy, will give it a try

rusticgal
18-03-2021, 10:38 AM
Good for you Kaz. We eat a lot of chicken and fish but we like our Sunday Roasts, saturday morning bacon sarnies and steaks on the BBQ in the summer...:hee:

Toy Soldier
18-03-2021, 10:59 AM
I'm vegan because I refuse to turn a blind eye... My question is why do you?

Because it's delicious :think:

In all seriousness though; being OK with eating meat and advocating cruel farming practices don't go hand in hand. Of course farming should be ethical and anyone engaging in cruelty as described in the OP should face prosecution.

If there's any argument for not eating meant that carries some weight with me, it's the environmental impact of large-scale meat farming... it isn't really sustainable as global population continues to rise.

Zizu
18-03-2021, 11:16 AM
That's why I added I don't think anyone here is preaching. As adults, we all know there are some barbaric practices happening in the world, to both humans and animals and I feel that posts like this are quite inflammatory. The points in the post are the extremes of animal cruelty hence why I said its meant to be guilt inducing rather than thought provoking. If it spoke about the normal meal producing process, it would spark more conversation rather than the extremes of animal heads being used as a football which isn't the norm

Yeah ... I recall the spate of horrendous accounts /videos that leaked out a famous meat producer years ago ... we’ve never bought anything with their his/name on it since ... something like Harry ‘something or other’ ??

Kazanne
18-03-2021, 11:47 AM
what do you buy, will give it a try

There's a few different bacon substitutes,I like to try them all the one I like best is called "This isn't", I love their stuff but also like the Quorn bacon rashers,
https://this.co/products/rashers/

Cherie
18-03-2021, 11:48 AM
There's a few different bacon substitutes,I like to try them all the one I like best is called "This isn't", I love their stuff but also like the Quorn bacon rashers,
https://this.co/products/rashers/

Will give it a try thank you!

Kazanne
18-03-2021, 11:49 AM
Yeah ... I recall the spate of horrendous accounts /videos that leaked out a famous meat producer years ago ... we’ve never bought anything with their his/name on it since ... something like Harry ‘something or other’ ??

Didn't Bernard Mathews have a bad rap too Zizu ?

Jessica.
18-03-2021, 11:54 AM
I eat 100% vegan but threads like this aren't what will get through to people :joker: How we eat is our own choice and you have to be in the right state of mind to do things like cutting out meat, dairy, etc.. For me, the pandemic was the perfect time to go from veggie to vegan but for others it would be the absolute worst. I don't eat animals for ethical and environmental reasons, not because of lists of possible scenarios.

AnnieK
18-03-2021, 11:54 AM
My best friend recently went from a meat every day person to fully vegan after a binge watch of Richard Attenborough and researching the damage we are doing to the planet partly through eating meat. She has switched out every thing in her life to plant based....all her cosmetics, cleaning products, food etc. I take my hat off to her. She doesn't like the meat substitute stuff either and so she has found it tough going but she's determined.

Zizu
18-03-2021, 02:12 PM
Didn't Bernard Mathews have a bad rap too Zizu ?

That was it !!

I just couldn’t think of the name ... Harry Ramsden came to mind but they’re a really well respected Fish and Chips place

Zizu
18-03-2021, 02:13 PM
I like the idea of a bloke who was a Pesca -pescatarian and would only eat fish that had eaten fish :)

Cherie
18-03-2021, 02:34 PM
My best friend recently went from a meat every day person to fully vegan after a binge watch of Richard Attenborough and researching the damage we are doing to the planet partly through eating meat. She has switched out every thing in her life to plant based....all her cosmetics, cleaning products, food etc. I take my hat off to her. She doesn't like the meat substitute stuff either and so she has found it tough going but she's determined.

But on the other hand I have watched a programme outlining the huge devastation caused by growing Soya :shrug:

I think the fast fashion industry is on a par or is far more harmful to the environment

Captain.Remy
18-03-2021, 02:45 PM
I found a middle ground with being flexitarian. I love meat, always needed it for rugby practice and also because I like the taste of it.
But I got older and realized that once I gave up intense trainings and not playing as much as I used to, I didn't need to eat this much meat.

So flexitarian it is, which consists of occasional inclusion of meat.
I'm actually a good cook, I LOVE cooking and removing a lot of meat from my daily intake made me more creative and found new recipes. However French cuisine is harder without meat :joker:
I don't eat meat daily, but I enjoy a nice horse steak or duck breast or whatever I like sometimes. Probably once or twice a week I would say. And I only buy it from my local butcher that I know supplies himself from a "cruelty free" farm where the animals are fed with good and organic food.

Everything else in our house is organic anyway: vegetables, fruits, cakes, cleaning supplies etc Doing our best :laugh:

And I think it's brave to completely go the vegan or vegetarian route. As long as it makes you feel good about yourself then it's great! Congrats!

Ammi
18-03-2021, 02:55 PM
I found a middle ground with being flexitarian. I love meat, always needed it for rugby practice and also because I like the taste of it.
But I got older and realized that once I gave up intense trainings and not playing as much as I used to, I didn't need to eat this much meat.

So flexitarian it is, which consists of occasional inclusion of meat.
I'm actually a good cook, I LOVE cooking and removing a lot of meat from my daily intake made me more creative and found new recipes. However French cuisine is harder without meat :joker:
I don't eat meat daily, but I enjoy a nice horse steak or duck breast or whatever I like sometimes. Probably once or twice a week I would say. And I only buy it from my local butcher that I know supplies himself from a "cruelty free" farm where the animals are fed with good and organic food.

Everything else in our house is organic anyway: vegetables, fruits, cakes, cleaning supplies etc Doing our best :laugh:

And I think it's brave to cut meat from your meals. As long as it makes you feel good about yourself then it's great! Congrats!

...yeah, I’ve always found that in some countries it can be more difficult to not eat meat...although I do eat white fish, which expands it out...I spend lots of time eating French Fries, cake and Ice Cream when I’m overseas and lots of fruit...I agree with you completely about vegetarian cooking enabling more creativity... and I find chopping lots of vegetable with their jewel-like colours, one of the most uplifting things ever...:love:..yes very sad but that’s me...

Kazanne
18-03-2021, 03:25 PM
...yeah, I’ve always found that in some countries it can be more difficult to not eat meat...although I do eat white fish, which expands it out...I spend lots of time eating French Fries, cake and Ice Cream when I’m overseas and lots of fruit...I agree with you completely about vegetarian cooking enabling more creativity... and I find chopping lots of vegetable with their jewel-like colours, one of the most uplifting things ever...:love:..yes very sad but that’s me...

I love cooking with vegetables and experimenting ,have found some really good recipes and you know more or less what's in food cooked from scratch.

Captain.Remy
18-03-2021, 05:06 PM

Welcome to the weirdos club then :joker:
And what is nicer is knowing that I won't post it on Instagram, and just enjoy it with my husband, family or friends. Makes it even better to present a nice appealing plate!

Marsh.
18-03-2021, 05:11 PM
Bloody hell Alf,see you don't know what is in meat either.

To be absolutely frank, you can say that about any food you buy pre-packed or pre-prepared in some way.

Unless you grow everything in your own garden and make everything yourself from scratch.

parmnion
18-03-2021, 05:11 PM
Its dead when you eat it.

But doesn't taste the same whilst watching how it died as you eat it.

Marsh.
18-03-2021, 05:15 PM
Also, when people say "they're vegan" a lot of them still seem to think it relates entirely to being meat-free.

Do you still wear clothes that exploit humans and animals? Make up? What about other types of foods like honey?

Captain.Remy
18-03-2021, 05:33 PM
Also, when people say "they're vegan" a lot of them still seem to think it relates entirely to being meat-free.

Do you still wear clothes that exploit humans and animals? Make up? What about other types of foods like honey?

And to think they drink water although it's a fish's home, I-:skull:

Marsh.
18-03-2021, 05:57 PM
And to think they drink water although it's a fish's home, I-:skull:

Wut

Captain.Remy
18-03-2021, 06:00 PM
Wut

Don't mind me, I'm being silly.:joker:

Though I heard some dude say it at a party and some vegans took offense to that (the fact that they drink water which is discrespectful to fishes and sea life)

Marsh.
18-03-2021, 06:04 PM
Don't mind me, I'm being silly.:joker:

Though I heard some dude say it at a party and some vegans took offense to that (the fact that they drink water which is discrespectful to fishes and sea life)

:joker:

GoldHeart
18-03-2021, 06:26 PM
What I'd like to know Is why do vegans hardly or never talk about the abuse with seafood?? , crabs & lobsters are literally BOILED ALIVE :shocked: .

The focus is more on land animals which is fine,but I just thought they'd still talk about the suffering of fish etc.

Fish get hooked in the mouth and thrown back into the sea . Why are they throwing fish back into the sea after they've mutilated their mouths.

I'm a meat eater,but I hate the thought of animals suffering/ being abused. If I ever bought fresh crab or lobster , I'd definitely freeze them first and then cook them. Atleast it's kinder .

Kazanne
18-03-2021, 06:52 PM
What I'd like to know Is why do vegans hardly or never talk about the abuse with seafood?? , crabs & lobsters are literally BOILED ALIVE :shocked: .

The focus is more on land animals which is fine,but I just thought they'd still talk about the suffering of fish etc.

Fish get hooked in the mouth and thrown back into the sea . Why are they throwing fish back into the sea after they've mutilated their mouths.

I'm a meat eater,but I hate the thought of animals suffering/ being abused. If I ever bought fresh crab or lobster , I'd definitely freeze them first and then cook them. Atleast it's kinder .

Vegans DO care about seafood, they think it's as cruel as any other animal,I hate fishing,never had lobster,crab or anything similar , I am now getting myself off fish as yes that is cruel too imo, I am not a vegan I am a vegetarian but I would love to go full vegan.

GoldHeart
18-03-2021, 07:08 PM
Vegans DO care about seafood, they think it's as cruel as any other animal,I hate fishing,never had lobster,crab or anything similar , I am now getting myself off fish as yes that is cruel too imo, I am not a vegan I am a vegetarian but I would love to go full vegan.

Yeah just seems strange I don't hear them talking about seafood. I hear some talk about honey and how they don't have it because it's from bees. So they'd rather have maple syrup despite maple syrup being full of sugar but oh well.

Amy Jade
18-03-2021, 07:55 PM

I've never had bacon in my life so I obviously can't say it's the same but there are alternatives that other people say taste just like it so you probably could cut it out if bacon was your vice.

This isn't me being preachy, my boyfriend is literally eating a burger as we speak but he's tried a lot of my plant based alternatives and says they are pretty good.

Zizu
18-03-2021, 08:11 PM
But on the other hand I have watched a programme outlining the huge devastation caused by growing Soya :shrug:

I think the fast fashion industry is on a par or is far more harmful to the environment

As regards soya ..
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210318/d7dbcaa858bbfb63bc62f8dbc33c4494.jpg

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/health/diet-nutrition/a20707020/is-soy-good-or-bad-for-you/

Withano
18-03-2021, 08:43 PM
Love a kebab, me

GoldHeart
18-03-2021, 09:04 PM
Yeah some plant based options are nice ,but I could never cut meat out .

Cherie
19-03-2021, 06:51 AM
As regards soya ..

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/health/diet-nutrition/a20707020/is-soy-good-or-bad-for-you/

I recall see this before Zizu, thanks for sharing though

Cherie
19-03-2021, 06:52 AM
I've never had bacon in my life so I obviously can't say it's the same but there are alternatives that other people say taste just like it so you probably could cut it out if bacon was your vice.

This isn't me being preachy, my boyfriend is literally eating a burger as we speak but he's tried a lot of my plant based alternatives and says they are pretty good.

I will try it, my only issue with a lot of meat substitutes is that they seem packed with ‘stuff’ when you read the ingredients

Zizu
19-03-2021, 06:57 AM
I recall see this before Zizu, thanks for sharing though

I stand by my old mum’s rant ..

“ everything in moderation “

Kazanne
19-03-2021, 08:13 AM
I will try it, my only issue with a lot of meat substitutes is that they seem packed with ‘stuff’ when you read the ingredients

I think all foods are packed with something including meat Cherie,I quite enjoy just cooking veggies etc and experiminting a bit , it has made me more aware of what's in shop food though.

joeysteele
19-03-2021, 08:27 AM
I think all foods are packed with something including meat Cherie,I quite enjoy just cooking veggies etc and experiminting a bit , it has made me more aware of what's in shop food though.

There's loads you can do with vegetables Kazanne...
I agree..
I'm happy as anything with a mix of most.

There's some vegetables I don't like, such as sprouts.
However with other ingredients too.
I think my plate with a veggie mix or a plate of salad, looks far more appealing than a meat filled one.

It's a choice I made, and I turned totally a few years ago on here.
In part from what you said actually too.

Your slaughterhouse comment as you post is also a very strong one.

Ammi
19-03-2021, 08:31 AM
...one of my sons loves Beyond Meat burgers...It’s not something that appeals to me, I make Halloumi burgers...but I don’t know if anyone has tried many meat substitute type products...

Cherie
19-03-2021, 08:42 AM

oh for sure, that is why I cook mainly from scratch, and only have the occasional ready meal

Jessica.
19-03-2021, 10:48 AM
As regards soya ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ProOh for gods sake, soy is perfectly healthy and they eat a tonne of it in Asian countries where the life expectancy beats ours.

Niamh.
19-03-2021, 10:52 AM
...one of my sons loves Beyond Meat burgers...It’s not something that appeals to me, I make Halloumi burgers...but I don’t know if anyone has tried many meat substitute type products...

Oh my friend swears by them as well but I've not seen them anywhere to buy

Cherie
19-03-2021, 11:12 AM
Oh for gods sake, soy is perfectly healthy and they eat a tonne of it in Asian countries where the life expectancy beats ours.

https://www.greenpeace.org.uk/challenges/soya/

AnnieK
19-03-2021, 11:40 AM
My friend is currently trying to eliminate palm oil from her life too....its in a lot of things including foods and toiletries but is one of the causes of mass deforestation and animal deaths. Once you start looking into it, to be totally vegan is bloody difficult so hats off to anyone who can do it.

Ammi
19-03-2021, 11:44 AM
My friend is currently trying to eliminate palm oil from her life too....its in a lot of things including foods and toiletries but is one of the causes of mass deforestation and animal deaths. Once you start looking into it, to be totally vegan is bloody difficult so hats off to anyone who can do it.

...yeah, one of my friend’s sons has been vegetarian for many years but he’s recently turned vegan and I know it can be challenging for her at times in trying to give variety as well...I do some vegan recipes but I’m not a vegan, I cook them because they look interesting and do dairy free and gluten free as well sometimes...

Ammi
19-03-2021, 11:46 AM
Oh my friend swears by them as well but I've not seen them anywhere to buy

...I think that he’s able to get them quite readily in Spain but my other son said he hasn’t been able to get them here yet, though...they do list some of their products on Tesco online over here...but maybe not available from all branches...

Niamh.
19-03-2021, 11:47 AM
...I think that he’s able to get them quite readily in Spain but my other son said he hasn’t been able to get them here yet, though...they do list some of their products on Tesco online over here...but maybe not available from all branches...

I think my friend tasted one at some restaurant, haven't seen them in any supermarkets here

Kazanne
19-03-2021, 11:59 AM

Oh I LOVE Halloumi Ammi, I do like the Linda McCartneys burgers with Mozzerella cheese.

Kazanne
19-03-2021, 12:06 PM
There's loads you can do with vegetables Kazanne...
I agree..
I'm happy as anything with a mix of most.

There's some vegetables I don't like, such as sprouts.
However with other ingredients too.
I think my plate with a veggie mix or a plate of salad, looks far more appealing than a meat filled one.

It's a choice I made, and I turned totally a few years ago on here.
In part from what you said actually too.

Your slaughterhouse comment as you post is also a very strong one.

Aw Joey, it's all very thought provoking, and it's lovely that you have taken that path simply because it does send a message that we will not tolerate the way animals are treated anymore.I think that quote was something to do with Paul McCartney and I found it so very true.:wavey: