PDA

View Full Version : Legendary film directors (who has the better collective of films)

Alf
15-10-2021, 07:37 AM
Who makes the greatest films of these legendary film makers.

Check poll.

Niamh.
15-10-2021, 08:55 AM
I had to go with Spielberg just for the sheer amount and variety of good movies he's done.

I'm a massive fan of Tarantino, Scorsese, Fincher and Nolan's movies as well though but most of their movies are a very similar genre/theme I think whereas Spielberg mixes it up a bit more

although saying that Scorsese has a really good mix in there too, he'd be a very very close second

Tony Montana
15-10-2021, 03:32 PM
Spielberg. He's made too many amazing films from different genres.

Tony Montana
15-10-2021, 03:33 PM
Paul Thomas Anderson and the Coen Brothers should be on the list.

Alf
17-10-2021, 04:37 AM
Paul Thomas Anderson and the Coen Brothers should be on the list.Nah, they're second division. Coens have about 5 decent films but most of their others are pretty average.

PTA has one great film in "There will be blood" but that's mostly down to having Daniel Day Lewis in the lead role. "Boogie Nights" was ok but nothing extraordinary.

If I'd have added another director to the poll it would have been Charlie Chaplin, but I don't think hardly anyone on here would have seen much of Chaplin's work.

Alf
17-10-2021, 04:53 AM
Spielberg. He's made too many amazing films from different genres.If you're talking about different genres then nobody comes close to Kubrick.

Has Spielberg done Horror? Kubrick brought us "The Shining"

If it's Sci-fi then Kubrick has probably the most famous Sci-fi film with "2001 A space Odyssey"

War films, he did "Paths of Glory" and "Full metal jacket"

One of the all time great comedy films, Kubrick brought us "Dr Strangelove"

Crime film, he gave us "The Killing"

Period film, he made "Barry Lyndon" which has my favourite scene of any movie ever, the final duel scene.

Historical epic, he directed "Spartacus"

And I haven't even mentioned the great films like Lolita, A Clockwork Orange and Eyes Wide Shut.

Niamh.
17-10-2021, 11:56 AM
Eyes wide shut was trash

Livia
17-10-2021, 12:20 PM
Couldn't possibly pick just one.

Alf
17-10-2021, 01:28 PM
Eyes wide shut was trashOnly because Kubrick died before he finished editing it.

LaLaLand
17-10-2021, 04:50 PM
Paul Thomas Anderson and the Coen Brothers should be on the list.

Agreed. Love PTA.