PDA

View Full Version : Why are Bud Light so controversial these days?

Mystic Mock
16-05-2023, 12:17 AM
I know the basics that the company that makes Bud Light had a Transgender person (I can't remember if it was Transman or a Transwoman that did the Advert so I'm playing it safe with the terminology) anyway I know that a Transperson was hired to do the Advert.

Now what I want to know, is that is that all what the controversy is about? Or was there something controversial about the individual that was selected for the Advert?

I am genuinely curious as I read so many comments on Social Media about how "Bud Light sucks nowadays" and I want to know is there more to this than I realise.

And out of interest do you personally agree with Bud Light's controversy, or do you think it's slightly harsh?

bitontheslide
16-05-2023, 05:30 AM
the woman ceo of bud light (now removed) suggested that the existing drinkers of the product were basically all trash and that she wanted bud light to appeal to a new generation of drinker. So, funnily enough, the existing customers all stopped buying the product

Cherie
16-05-2023, 05:34 AM
I have yet to see a trans man in an advert, they are a hidden species

Liam-
16-05-2023, 05:42 AM
They literally just used a trans woman in an advert, that’s what people boycotted over

Niamh.
16-05-2023, 06:21 AM
They literally just used a trans woman in an advert, that’s what people boycotted overDylan Mulvanys whole schtik is insulting to women, it's like a bad parody of offensive stereotypes.

Oliver_W
16-05-2023, 07:15 AM
Some people boycotted them for using a transwoman as spkkesman, and then some more people boycotted them for apologising for using the transwoman.

The truth of the matter is everyone should boycott Bud Light because it's basically piss :joker:

LeatherTrumpet
16-05-2023, 07:52 AM
have a look at the prophetic Bud Lite advert from 1995. starts from 3.00

:idc:

H15suBfZbDY

Redway
16-05-2023, 10:15 AM
Why does everything have to explicitly cater to non-binary folk these days? What’s the meaning of all this ultra-woke nonsense?

Cherie
16-05-2023, 10:56 AM
Why does everything have to explicitly cater to non-binary folk these days? What’s the meaning of all this ultra-woke nonsense?

There is no such thing its just kids trying to stand out in the crowd, look at me mentality

Redway
16-05-2023, 03:52 PM
There is no such thing its just kids trying to stand out in the crowd, look at me mentality

It's not just kids though is it. Even 45-year-olds are about this non-binary nonsense.

Yeah, sorry, but you're either a cis. male or female, intersex. or trans.; there's absolutely nothing in the way of biological gender beyond that. Most people have way more important things to worry about than what mother-sodding pronouns to call a blizzard-flake (we're beyond vanilla-snow at this point). Beer companies should not be catering to B.S.F.s (blizzard-snow flakes).

hijaxers
16-05-2023, 04:47 PM
General public make their stand by pouring bud light away proving to companies go woke at your peril and watch profit drop through the floor.

Redway
16-05-2023, 06:19 PM
General public make their stand by pouring bud light away proving to companies go woke at your peril and watch profit drop through the floor.

Unfortunately not while it’s £2.10 at Spoons. I’ll take the unnecessary woke-ness for the sake of a cheap pint.

hijaxers
16-05-2023, 07:56 PM
Unfortunately not while it’s £2.10 at Spoons. I’ll take the unnecessary woke-ness for the sake of a cheap pint.

OK :laugh:

Mystic Mock
17-05-2023, 12:33 AM
the woman ceo of bud light (now removed) suggested that the existing drinkers of the product were basically all trash and that she wanted bud light to appeal to a new generation of drinker. So, funnily enough, the existing customers all stopped buying the product

Well the CEO probably regrets insinuating that now.:joker:

But thanks for the replies, it's truly appreciated.:)

I think that my opinion on this is that I don't personally hold much of a grudge towards Bud Light over this, but having said that I don't drink their stuff anyway so I doubt that they'd care what I think.:laugh:

LeatherTrumpet
17-05-2023, 08:28 AM
2CjWsQoW-7I

Cherie
17-05-2023, 10:46 AM
It’s kind of offensive .no? Oh you are gay so you can’t handle the proper beer …here have a lite lol

The Slim Reaper
20-08-2023, 08:09 PM
How it started:

vpK0ZVh-PGU

How it's going:

https://imagez.tmz.com/image/24/4by3/2023/08/18/24b47d7e376f4814bc8dbba7bf59a359_md.jpg

You're all being taken for a ride on these culture war issues.

LeatherTrumpet
20-08-2023, 08:12 PM
How it started:

vpK0ZVh-PGU

How it's going:

https://imagez.tmz.com/image/24/4by3/2023/08/18/24b47d7e376f4814bc8dbba7bf59a359_md.jpg

seriously that is your best gotcha?

sad

The Slim Reaper
20-08-2023, 08:14 PM
seriously that is your best gotcha?

sad

Seems like you're the only one who tries to rank *checks notes* gotchas.

I just posted the truth, so there's no need to cry about it.

Oliver_W
20-08-2023, 08:24 PM
How it started:

vpK0ZVh-PGU

How it's going:

Grifters in the "culture war" ?! Who could have seen this coming??!!

To be fair though, it looks like he's in the audience of at an event of some kind. What you'd be given or have available there isn't always in your control.

LeatherTrumpet
20-08-2023, 08:27 PM
Seems like you're the only one who tries to rank *checks notes* gotchas.

I just posted the truth, so there's no need to cry about it.

:joker:

Swan
20-08-2023, 08:28 PM
They alienated their core consumers by added a young trans tick toker to their marketing. They then shat themselves and tried to regain their core. All the while alienating the LGBT community for turning their backs on them in hope to get young straight frat teens, and middle age men to buy their product again.

They're ruined, neither side wants them now.

Swan
20-08-2023, 08:31 PM
Oh and to add, Bud Light is such a weak beer. It's tastes like tangy brown water. That can't help.

Though American's are used to weak beer.

The Slim Reaper
20-08-2023, 08:33 PM
:joker:

its a tactic to not address the issue

bwahahahah look over there

and its a really bad/sad one

:blush:

:smug:

Soldier Boy
21-08-2023, 12:11 PM
Bots has this right way back at the beginning of the thread; it wasn't so much the advertising used, it was the clear statement from the company high-ups of intent.

I.e. They said "We don't really like our existing customer base and want to try to move into a different space". Inevitably, if you tell a customer base they're not your target any more, some of those people are going to say "OK fine bye".

The problem though is that the new market they wanted to target isn't interested. No amount ifbtargetr d advertising is going to make them like the product; they dont want to drink these light mainstream beers. It's the wrong market entirely.

So the net result is a bigger loss of customers than gain of new customers.

Taking all the motion out of it, it was just a really terrible business decision.

LeatherTrumpet
21-08-2023, 12:19 PM
It will be in marketing text books soon under the chapter "knowing your customers and how not to fck them all off"

Cherie
21-08-2023, 12:25 PM
It will be in marketing text books soon under the chapter "knowing your customers and how not to fck them all off"

I mean Gerard Ratner should be the stand out case study for any company out there, do not diss your customers

bitontheslide
21-08-2023, 12:27 PM
I mean Gerard Ratner should be the stand out case study for any company out there, do not diss your customers

i was just going to say Ratner :laugh:

Niamh.
21-08-2023, 12:31 PM
I had to google Ratner, never heard of that story

LeatherTrumpet
21-08-2023, 12:43 PM
Ratner is the Gold Standard but Bud Lite is this generation's version

The Slim Reaper
21-08-2023, 12:53 PM
Bots has this right way back at the beginning of the thread; it wasn't so much the advertising used, it was the clear statement from the company high-ups of intent.

I.e. They said "We don't really like our existing customer base and want to try to move into a different space". Inevitably, if you tell a customer base they're not your target any more, some of those people are going to say "OK fine bye".

The problem though is that the new market they wanted to target isn't interested. No amount ifbtargetr d advertising is going to make them like the product; they dont want to drink these light mainstream beers. It's the wrong market entirely.

So the net result is a bigger loss of customers than gain of new customers.

Taking all the motion out of it, it was just a really terrible business decision.

Is that really what happened, though?

Beer sales are stumbling, so it appears they just tried to appeal to new customers. It was one post by a trans woman, that's the full extent of telling existing customers that they're all trash.

Now admittedly, i didn't follow the story to the full extent, so if there is an actual quote by the ceo explicitly saying that the customers are trash, then I'll retract this opinion, but otherwise, I think the folks who hate cancel culture, love trying to cancel anything and everything that's even remotely subversive, all under the guise of being oppressed.

LeatherTrumpet
21-08-2023, 03:16 PM
Bl-varM6M0E