PDA

View Full Version : Sunday People is remarkable

Feefs
24-03-2002, 01:09 PM
We all knew The Sunday People wasn't the most accurate of papers, and the verification of facts is not something it places much emphasis on, but this article about Gareth's screaming fans even had me amazed.

Sunday People can't do sums link (http://www.people.co.uk/shtml/NEWS/P6S4.shtml)

The main crime is claiming Gareth is set to sell 1 million copies of Unchained Melody. Nothing outrageous there, you say. They then quote some "experts" who are researchers for the Guiness Book of Records who have applied their great expertise in this area to suggest the record buying public will make the most of the warm weather today and buy even more records so he'll actually beat Will's week 1 record of 1.1M by close of sales. If you, like me are not music industry experts you might think youngsters might in fact be taken to the park or for a nice Sunday afternoon walk up a hill, not to HMV when the sun shines.

However, these are mere details and pointless page fillers from people who will say anything to be quoted as we've become accustomed to. The real amusing statement comes from the proud way they announce Gareth has outsold pop veteran George Michael by 10:1. Very impressive we'd all agree. However, later in the item they say George has been struggling to sell a rubbish 50,000 singles this week.

I don't want to patronise you by pointing out the obvious, but something isn't right. I'm guessing reports of 10:1 sales during the week have referred to the number 2 single, and it was assumed this was George. Will has apparenlty sold another 100,000 singles this week.

So, well done Gareth, well done Will, there there George and try harder Sunday People.

This is another quote that had me chuckling

At London Docklands, security had to be tightened as a group of girl fans tried to storm the tour bus for romps with him.
Thank goodness they hadn't introduced these added security measures before our virtual trip to Hadley Wood! It was good for them too, because they could do the work at the same time as fixing the suspension. :blush:

Another error in the article

-MIDDLE-AGED women faint as he performed Unchained Melody.
at the top

paramedics were called when middle-aged women fainted as the handsome youngster performed Mack The Knife with a big band.
Never mind paramedics - call the police!