PDA

View Full Version : I did not crash this site

Sticks
02-12-2001, 07:55 PM
Contrary to the e-mail that went around, I did not hack this site.

Rick thinks I did because I was a professional programmer once, and was on the board when it went down.

I was a programmer, but that was in COBOL, which is not designed for websites. I have not touched Cobol since June 2000.

I also did limited SQL as part of my duties, but it was limited, and not to a level to set up forums, all the DBAs did the interesting stuff.

Although I did work as a programmer it was not in the realm which allows one to deal with and bring down on purpose sites of this complexity.

The real hacker would have covered his tracks, if he had the skill to break in here.

Mark
02-12-2001, 08:09 PM
Sticks, I will tell you why we suspected you.

Firstly we took down the interactive story, which you had posted a lot on. You seemed quite annoyed with us for it.

Then just before we got pushed off as admin and the site went corrupt, there were the following people online.
Myself, LEE, Richard, WILDCHILD2K1, yourself and a guest.

Also we were in the middle of a fairly heated MSN conversation with you relating to the story.

It was our immediate reaction that you were angry, had the capabilites and you had done it through spite.

Now, we realise it was wrong to think that, as now you have explained your programming skills. It is now pretty certain that it was the guest, which unfortunatly we cannot identify.

I would like to apologise on behalf of myself, and the other Admin, for jumping to conclusions. May I also apologise for the email Richard sent round accusing you of this.

I hope you can see why we thought it was you and I hope you can forgive us.

Thanks

Mark + Admin

[Edited on 2-12-2001 by LEE]

Sticks
02-12-2001, 08:41 PM
Will you be sending a clarification e-mail around ?

Mark
02-12-2001, 08:47 PM
We will.......

Mark :spin:

Peg
02-12-2001, 11:01 PM
Hi Mark
Glad to see you are up and running again
well done :hello:

I also feel it would be better if I didn't visit here again under the circumstances.
As you know we've had our fair share of hacking, and it's not in the least bit funny having to redo your work over and over.

As you gave the impression when you first started up, and someone ruined your story, that it was BBUK that was responsible for that, despite us giving you all the help you asked for when you started your site,I feel it best not to come
here until you find your hacker.
I'm sure you will understand the reasoning behind this, or at least I hope you do. It's nothing personal, and I wish you all the luck in the world with your site.

You can remove my name from the members list, and I would suggest you make your board a members only ( at least till you work out who your hacker is)
that way you know who's on there at all time's.
While I can assure you it is nothing to do with us at BBUK, I have to point out that we cannot be held responsible for any members actions. All I can say to you as regards that, IF it was someone registered on BBUK they WILL be banned from there, and all other BB Boards will be notified.
But as you know I had already put a notice to that effect on the old board.

So I hope you understand my position here, and we wish you well.

Peg

Mark
03-12-2001, 07:25 AM
Peg,

I never accused you of hacking my site, I was just annoyed as it took me ages to do, and I'm sorry if it came across that way. If I thought you had done something to my site, why would I have come to you for help?
I can't actually even remember saying to you that I thought it was you. From what I remember I was fairly annoyed, and I just came across wrong.

I apologise for coming across this way, and I do not think the hacker is any of the admin from BBUK.

I do not really want to ban you , as I do-not think you have done anything wrong.

I will continue to post on BBUK, unless you want me to stop.....

Peg
03-12-2001, 12:11 PM
Hi Mark

I can understand you being annoyed, like i said, it's not nice having your work destroyed by some mindless moron who has nothing better to do.
But under the circumstances, I really feel it's best I stay away until this is all sorted.

You are still quite welcome over at BBUK thats not a problem

Peg

Mark
03-12-2001, 03:47 PM
Ok Peg, thats your choice, but I would really hate their to be hatrid between the boards.

I might see you on MSN one day and we can chat about it.

Peg
03-12-2001, 06:14 PM
Hi Mark
Please don't blow this all out of proportion.

There is no hatred or anything else between boards, I've already told you, you are very welcome over at BBUK,
and we sincerely wish you well with your site.
I just hoped you understood my reasoning in staying away, you obviously don't.
I just feel it's best until the hacker business is sorted out.

peg

Mark
03-12-2001, 06:20 PM
I never said that Peg,
I said "I don't want their to be"
I do understand your reasoning...

Peg
03-12-2001, 06:28 PM
ok Mark
well there is none on our part, no reason to be.
So good luck with it all
Peg

Mark
03-12-2001, 06:34 PM
Theres none on ours either!

Thanks for all your help :flower:

Mark