PDA

View Full Version : World Idol

James
31-08-2003, 06:03 PM
I read on Digital Spy that this is going to be shown near Christmas.

It's a version of Pop Idol with all the winners of the Pop Idol series from around the world.

Viewers won't be allowed to vote for their own country's representative and it's in the contracts of Will Young/ Kelly Clarkson et al that they have to appear (and they won't get paid much either) - Interesting article with details of the Pop Idol contract here (http://archive.salon.com/ent/feature/2002/09/18/idol_contract/index.html)

Here's an article about World Idol
http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,12407,00.html

Kelly Clarkson vs. the World

by Lia Haberman
Aug 29, 2003, 9:00 AM PT

Foreign policy pipe dream or international disaster in the making?

American Idol's producers are reportedly plotting a global Idol contest that would pit the first winners of American Idol, England's Pop Idol and similar competitions in a dozen countries against each other.

According to USA Today, Kelly Clarkson would face off against Idol champs from around the world in a two-hour special during the Christmas season on the same day in several countries.

Taping would take place in London and the winner would be announced on a show a week later.

There's even a twist to level the playing field against highly populated countries like China where a billion voters could signify a shoo-in: Viewers reportedly won't be able to vote for their own countrymen--no mention of how producers will regulate this global poll.

On Thursday, a spokesman for 19 Management confirmed to E! News Live that World Idol was an idea that had been percolating in executive producer Simon Fuller's high-concept cranium for a while.

Production is in preliminary stages said the spokesman but the show will hopefully air in December. And while there's no American network associated yet, the producers are hoping to get Fox on board.

Heads up, 19 Management--someone better call Clarkson's reps.

When contacted, Kelly's label RCA told E! this was the first they've heard of the global showdown and denied that Kelly was involved in any way.

They may want to reconsider. Clarkson, who left MTV's Video Music Awards empty-handed Thursday night despite three nominations, has spent the last month performing among prized heifers and pie-tossing booths at state fairs.

AndyJK
06-09-2003, 12:22 PM
Sounds interesting.

BusyBee
06-09-2003, 07:29 PM
In how many countries has there been a Pop Idol programme. Anyone know

Kaz
07-09-2003, 12:05 PM
Hi BusyBee - been doing a bit of research into this! :thumbs: As far as I can see, there have been Pop Idol programmes in:

UK
USA
Canada
Germany
Poland
Belgium
South Africa
Australia
Holland

France & Spain have had similar shows, but I'm not sure if they're connected to the 'Pop Idol' franchise.

There could well be others, though! :laugh:

BusyBee
07-09-2003, 10:30 PM
Thanks Kaz I bow in admiration to your knowledge.:thumbs:

Stu xxx
07-09-2003, 10:37 PM
My willy would beat everyone into the ground - hello everyone again xxxxxxxx

Kaz
07-09-2003, 11:40 PM
Hiya, Stu. :wavey:

Long time no hear - been on your hols, or working hard to get some cash before you set off for Uni? :spin2:

I agree with you that Will would probably win this standing on his head, but . . . . . . I'm not at all convinced it's a good thing at this point in his career.

He's served his time as the nation's Pop Idol, and done us proud. Now he's had a break, travelled around Europe to rave reviews, and visited America to take some time out to write new, original material for his next album.

I would have thought that the last thing he (and probably most of the other 'Idols') wanted to do was to go back to a competition style environment. It may be more money in Simon Fuller's pocket, but that's about all.

They've all won the competition that mattered to them - now let them all get on with their careers.

:dazzler:

James
07-09-2003, 11:55 PM
This is quite an interesting article (which I noticed on Digital Spy) about the terms of the Pop Idol contract. It says that the winners have to appear on World Idol for the grand total of $1,400.

http://archive.salon.com/ent/feature/2002/09/18/idol_contract/index1.html

I do think though it is a good career move for them though, as they will be getting worldwide exposure.

This page says that there have been 16 different versions of Idol around the world, and links to the respective websites.

http://www.idolonline.org/idolshows.htm

Interestingly (or not probably) the British version is the only one called 'Pop Idol'.

Skip
29-09-2003, 10:24 AM
Hi Guys :xyxwave:, ours is called AUSTRALIAN IDOL. We're in only our first series, and working through the final lot now. Tonight we lose two more and that'll leave us with eight. Many people here have been surprised by the final's talent. It will be a difficult elimination process with the slightest wrong move and they're OUT !! Was this the same in England ? And sorry but has WILL recorded yet ? How has he done in the charts ? :dance: It's all about America's KELLY here at the moment.

BusyBee
29-09-2003, 10:17 PM
I'm sure you will get a fuller run down on what Will has been doing from certain members of this forum.

But just to give you a brief resume. Will, Gareth and Darius have all done well in the charts. No. 1s and sell out tours.

James
30-09-2003, 12:47 AM
I'm sure that I read somewhere that reality talent shows in Britain like Pop Idol have produced acts responsible for 49 top forty hits!

Skip
05-11-2003, 12:40 PM
Any more news on World Idol ? :dazzler:

Kaz
12-11-2003, 02:21 PM
Hi, Skip :wavey:

Latest news on World Idol from today's Bizarre column in the Sun:

However, the music guru who discovered the SPICE GIRLS (Simon Fuller) is planning to screen an international Pop Idol special.

World Idol will feature 12 winners from around the globe in a giant Eurovision-style talent contest.

Among the stars will be British winner WILL YOUNG and American Idol champ KELLY CLARKSON. The show is set to be on over the New Year.

A source at Fuller’s 19 Management company told me: “All the details are still being worked out so we’re not sure whether it will be ready in time for Christmas.

“But we expect that when it is aired it will be a huge ratings winner around the world.”
Watch this space .................................................. ...

Skip
12-11-2003, 03:34 PM
Thanks Kaz !! :xyxwave: I hear Australia hasn't decided on whether they'll enter yet. Our final is this weekend and they are concerned he'll be worn out !!!!! :conf: lol

James
14-11-2003, 10:17 PM
Latest is that it is going to be broadcast on Christmas Day and New Years' Day

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds12331.html

Kelly Clarkson is the bookmakers favourite:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds12355.html

LEE
28-11-2003, 01:36 PM
The World Idol contestants are all pictured in The Sun. If you click on the pictures you get a brief description of each of them :thumbs:

CLICK HERE (http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,5-2003550807,00.html)

James
14-12-2003, 01:35 AM
There's an official World Idol website with info on the contestants, judges and hosts. The judge representing Britain is Pete Waterman, and the judge representing America is Simon Cowell!

http://www.worldidol.tv/

The official American Idol site also has info about the voting method. http://www.idolonfox.com/worldidol/index.htm

How is the voting structured?
Each country gets to vote using their own voting systems. The home contestant from each participating country (e.g. Kelly Clarkson in the United States) will automatically start with the highest points (12) awarded from their own country. Viewers from each country will then vote on the remaining ten contestants and once the votes are tallied and the position of each contestant is determined (1st place, 2nd place etc.) points will be awarded in accordance with the Points System below.

Points System:
Home country contestant – 12 points
1st place – 10 points
2nd place – 9 points
3rd place – 8 points
4th place – 7 points
5th place – 6 points
6th place – 5 points
7th place – 4 points
8th place – 3 points
9th place – 2 points
10th place – 1 point

The points each Idol gets from all of the countries will be tallied and added together by an independent vote management company to determine their overall position in the contest.

They've gone for a Eurovision style voting method (apart from the home contestant getting top marks automatically) I think the voting system would have been better if the points were alocated in each country based on the percentage of votes for each contestant.

It'll be interesting to see if the voting gets influenced by politics like in Eurovision.

Janette
14-12-2003, 02:56 PM
What a lovely way to relax on Christmas Day evening. The gorgeous Mr Will Young singing a beautiful song with his beautiful voice moving that beautiful body to the music!

Oh drool!

:thumbs:

BusyBee
14-12-2003, 04:04 PM
At least we wont be able to get nul points LOL.

Not that Mr Will Young would any way. Looking forward to this.

BigSister
14-12-2003, 05:38 PM
Im also looking forward to it :hugesmile:

BusyBee
16-12-2003, 06:13 PM
Something good on the tele at Christmas - hooray.

Skip
26-12-2003, 02:38 AM
Are you ready ? are you excited ? Its Boxing Day here and its screening here at 7:30pm, so you will probably see it before us. How will England vote ? :dazzler:

Romantic Old Bird
26-12-2003, 11:46 AM
I'm not sure Skip! I think we should vote for the worst one personally!

I'm afraid I can't remember any stand outs except Kelly Clarkson who is in the Aquilera sort of mould, The arabian lass who had a cracking voice and the one the described as Buddy Holly-esque.

I don't suppose Will will win, but I would love him to!

BigSister
26-12-2003, 02:39 PM
LOL Rob my aunty said that as well
I think Will has a chance but I think America (Kelly Clarkson) has a chance too

Janette
26-12-2003, 02:43 PM
I thought the show was quite disappointing, I'd hoped to see a bunch of talented singers from around the world but sadly not!

Saying that, I liked Kelly Clarkson and of course the gorgeous Mr Will Young, but I finally found someone to vote for at the end of the show.

Kurt - his voice was good and he showed some charisma, plus I felt sorry for him cos Simon called him ugly!

:thumbs:

Skip
26-12-2003, 05:01 PM
Well, it was all a little disappointing wasn't it !!! Will did very well, as did Kelly. But all in all an even competition. The Canadian was good too, as was the Norwegian, who I think may come out the winner. I really don't think many will vote for Kelly (the whole US thing). I thought our Guy had a poor choice of song, but hey, as an earlier poster said, that we should all vote for the worst so that our countries one comes through. Well, it really is going to be another Eurovision in that case. I hope people have voted for the entertainer they liked the most. I choose South African, Heinz. He had the whole Idol package. :dazzler:

James
26-12-2003, 05:18 PM
Saw this on Digital Spy. http://www.susannism.com/worldidol/ for mp3s. (why do people zip mp3s? - it saves about 1% of space)

I doubt many people agree with me but I thought the Polish judge was hilarious.

It was ironic that Simon and Pete said to the Belgian guy Peter, who did the Nirvana song, that Kurt Cobain would be horrified that one of his songs was sung on Pop Idol. Doesn't that apply also to Jim Morrison? Not that I thought Will did badly with Light My Fire - he could win but it looks like Norway's the favourite.

I thought they were all about equal really, can't seperate them. The performances were better than UK Pop Idol, as you would expect.

BusyBee
27-12-2003, 06:44 PM
Watched this this afternoon - another one I taped.

Very disappointed by the overall standard although it was worth watching for the rubbish that Polish judge came out with.

I quite agree with Pete Kelly's performance was spoilt by all her trills, but she is a class performer. They were all quite good amateurs and I dont think many of them would have got far in either the British or American Idol.

Will did his usual brilliant act, but not sure if he will win. I think it may be that baby faced Norwegian with the great voice. But the only one who actually looked like the architypical Pop Idol was Heinz, but unfortunately he wasnt a great singer.

Be interested to see who will win.

Kaz
27-12-2003, 08:15 PM
Posted by Skip
Well, it was all a little disappointing wasn't it !!!
Certainly was, Skip!

I didn't watch it live - taped it and skimmed through the performances and the 'judges' comments afterwards. Pete and Simon were two of the better ones by all accounts - the programme was heavily edited to remove most of the nastier comments made to the contestants!

The only ones who received reasonable comments were Will, Kelly, Guy and Kurt - although he had to suffer the humiliation of Simon referring to him as 'ugly'. I think a lot of the contestants were completely shocked at how harshly they were treated - they were expecting the show to be more of a celebration of all the winners - how wrong they were. I felt heart sorry for most of them.

It was common knowledge that Will really didn't want to do World Idol - it was merely a contractual obligation that he couldn't get out of. He certainly didn't need to do it - his latest No. 1 single and No. 1 album were proof enough that he's well and truly established as a credible artist and has shaken off the 'Reality TV' tag. I'm sure the same applied to Kelly.

THIS ARTICLE (http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2001320029-2003600234,00.html) from the Sun Online highlights the show's poor viewing figures:
ITV chiefs were red-faced last night as it emerged their £1million World Idol had flopped.

The show — pitting various countries’ Pop Idol winners against each other — pulled in just 4.5million viewers despite a plum Christmas night prime-time slot.

It was thrashed by EastEnders, with 14million tuning in to see Kat Slater and Alfie Moon wed.

A telly insider admitted: “It was massively ambitious to beam the show across the world, but it’s true it was a bit of disappointment.”
P.S. Couldn't help but agree with Simon - the Polish judge WAS a moron! :laugh: