PDA

View Full Version : Thousands Play Banned Video Game

Mrluvaluva
17-10-2007, 04:18 PM
From Sky News

Thousands of gamers are using the internet to get their hands on a video game banned because of its graphic scenes of torture and murder, Sky News has learned.

Manhunt 2, which features a character who goes on a gruesome killing spree in a mental institution, is the only game to have been banned by British censors in the past 10 years.

The British Board of Film Classification refused to allow it to go on sale because of its "relentless violence" and "casual sadism".

But the game was leaked onto the web - and anyone with a little technical knowledge can download it and play it on a modified games console.

Manhunt 2 was originally refused a classification by the BBFC in June because it "constantly encourages visceral killing".

Manufacturer Rockstar carried out changes to the game but last week it was once again refused a rating.

No-one of any age is allowed to play the game, and yet our investigation found thousands of people downloading it.

Gaming expert and journalist Rob Fahey told Sky News: "What's disturbing about the game is you play a killer.

"There's no victim to sympathise with, there's no particularly complex storyline; you simply go around killing people in extraordinarily violent ways... there's no moral framework around it."

The original title in the series, Manhunt, was withdrawn from sale by a number of high street retailers after the parents of a schoolboy murdered by a friend blamed it for the killing.

Warren Leblanc, 17, savagely beat and stabbed to death 14-year-old Stefan Pakeerah in Leicester in February 2004.

Stefan's parents later said Leblanc had been obsessed by the game, which awards points for brutal killings.

However, police and standards bodies rejected the link.

Rockstar Games says the content of Manhunt 2 is "in line with other mainstream entertainment choices for adult consumers".

It accepts the game was leaked onto the web by an employee of a different company who had access to the preview copy. That person has been sacked.

Rockstar is appealing against the British board of Film Classification ban.

The firm, which also produced the smash hit ultra-violent Grand Theft Auto series, says it has every right to make such games - even if some find them unpalatable.

It argues that it is parents' responsibility to supervise what games children play, and what they see on the internet.

Link to article (http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,91221-1288697,00.html)

Vine6
17-10-2007, 04:19 PM
Im one of the thousands. Beyond the controversy , the game is actually rubbish.

001steven
17-10-2007, 08:05 PM
I heard its rubbish but hey UP YOURS BBFC :cheer2::cheer2: cant stand them :whistle:

supernoodles!
17-10-2007, 08:11 PM
id like to see it just to se ehow bad it is

Tom4784
17-10-2007, 08:20 PM
I say too right download, i'm ussually not for pirating stuff but shouldn't adults have the right to play the games they want to play? Do we live in a democracy or Dictatorship? It's utter saftness.

People who blame games for violence in real life are also idiots in my opinion, They are so hypocritical. If a game inspires violence, what about films, music, or TV programs? I know we should play teletubies throughout all forms of media so no one will ever be inspired to commit a crime again!

Grrr It makes me so mad, you're responsible for your own actions so learn to lie in the bed after you have made it and stop looking for a scapegoat!

Scarlett.
17-10-2007, 10:02 PM
Yay! lets all conform to the government idea of a perfect Britain, where we make no decisions ourselves

THE FECKING GOVERMENT!!!!!

Mrluvaluva
18-10-2007, 12:21 AM
How many parents let their children watch games of a cert 18? Do the parents know what their kids have? Are they clued up? What do you think?

001steven
18-10-2007, 06:27 PM
It IS up to the parents what there children buy and play and it pi**es me off when they parents blame 'violent video games' i wanna say to them your the ones that brought and let them play... oh then they say well they played at there freinds so what if someone goes to murder someone DONT BLAME VIDEO GAMES BLAME the parents

Mrluvaluva
18-10-2007, 07:04 PM
Yeah. I don't think most parents actually know what games their kids are playing though. If you can download this game off the internet, how many parents actually supervise what their kids view over the net?

XxShortyxX
18-10-2007, 07:09 PM
Why banned a game? There's violence on TV as well, but they don't ban TV programmes. Eastenders, Hollyoaks Corrie ect all have violence in them, like when Jane got shot, I bet kids watched that.

It's so stupid to ban it, what womble banned it. he/she desveres a slap lol.