PDA

View Full Version : JK Rowling says wizard Dumbledore is gay

Kristen
20-10-2007, 10:17 AM
J.K. Rowling has outed one of the main characters of her best-selling Harry Potter series, telling fans in New York that the wizard Albus Dumbledore, head of Hogwarts school, is gay.

Speaking at Carnegie Hall on Friday night in her first U.S. tour in seven years, Rowling confirmed what some fans had always suspected -- that she "always thought Dumbledore was gay," reported entertainment Web site E! Online.

Rowling said Dumbledore fell in love with the charming wizard Gellert Grindelwald but when Grindelwald turned out to be more interested in the dark arts than good, Dumbledore was "terribly let down" and went on to destroy his rival.

SOURCE (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21387340/)

XxShortyxX
20-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Ok lol kids will have no idea what gay is lol They will be a hard onefor there parents to try and explain :bigsmile:

Which one is Albus Dumbledore?

Kristen
20-10-2007, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by XxShortyxX
Ok lol kids will have no idea what gay is lol They will be a hard onefor there parents to try and explain :bigsmile:

LOL!
He's the wizard with the long beard.

Callum
20-10-2007, 10:22 AM
Wowa! That's a shocker..

I never for one minute suspected Dumbledore to be gay!!

Dizzy
20-10-2007, 10:23 AM
OMG. Really?
Dumbledore?!
Woah.

XxShortyxX
20-10-2007, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Kristen

LOL!

Still can't think of who he looks like. Is he the really tall guy, who had a dog in the first one?

Kristen
20-10-2007, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Kristen

LOL!

Still can't think of who he looks like. Is he the really tall guy, who had a dog in the first one?

No, that's Hagrid lol.
Google Dumbledore or something :laugh:

XxShortyxX
20-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Oh I know now, just Googled it.

Well any guy that wears a dress thing, well that just gives it away really :bigsmile:

Bells
20-10-2007, 11:15 AM
Must admit I’d never have thought that for a second. Mind you, it’s not like that particular fact bears any effect on the book/story as a whole.

Now that the series is at an end, aside from JK Rowling, anyone could pretty much make up anything they like about characters/creatures/the story that weren’t specified.

Retroman
20-10-2007, 12:15 PM
Im hoping this isn't false, and wasn't just created to give some people the impression he liked Harry Potter a little too much...

As for kids not knowing what gay is, I dont find kids to be anywhere near the same as when I was one. Quite a lot of them know what gay means, and some will throw it around as an insult even at the young age of five.

Children of 8+ usually know what it means if you ask them nowadays. Perhaps it'd put them off Dumbledore, since some children can be a little judgemental/immature/narrow minded.

Sod_James
21-10-2007, 06:50 PM
I Allways thought there should have been a gay characther. i was hopoing it would be Ron, Neville or Draco.

Conor
21-10-2007, 06:51 PM
This is descusting! I would never have read any of the books if I knew this!! :conf2:

XxShortyxX
21-10-2007, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Conor
This is descusting! I would never have read any of the books if I knew this!! :conf2:

lol why?

xDramatick
21-10-2007, 07:03 PM
I'm glad.
I thought one of them might be gay, but was hoping it'd be someone hotter =/

It's good though, I think homosexuality should be more widely shown in stuff.
Then again I'm just a little bit biased. :joker:

Matt
21-10-2007, 07:09 PM
*rolls eyes*

Ruth*Star
21-10-2007, 07:13 PM
This is descusting! I would never have read any of the books if I knew this!! :conf2: Really?

Wasted
21-10-2007, 07:16 PM

Why? It doesn't affect the plot or anything, except that it gives us more insight into his relationship with Grindelwald.

officialleafan
21-10-2007, 07:24 PM
I think this is a fake to be honest!

Tom4784
21-10-2007, 07:25 PM

Homophobic much?

Retroman
21-10-2007, 07:26 PM
What I find disgusting is that there are people in our world who would refuse to read a Harry Potter book, if they had known one character in the book was homosexual.

What's even more ridiculous about your homophobia, is the fact he's a FICTIONAL CHARACTER. Plus no homosexual acts even take place.

Pathetic how narrow minded some people are.
Ok fine, if you're straight and you're put off by a gay musical containing gay men, or a story all about a gay man...then that's your choosing.
One single fictional character who doesn't display his sexuality, nor talk about it, nor does it affect the plot...affecting what you think of the book?

That's just plain ignorance.

Matt
21-10-2007, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by officialleafan
I think this is a fake to be honest!

JK Rowling said it herself at a public appearance though...

XxShortyxX
21-10-2007, 07:28 PM
To be honest, it doesn't really matter, I would never of gussed he was gay, and it doesn't spoil Harry Potter, it's still confuseing :bigsmile:

officialleafan
21-10-2007, 07:32 PM
I'm not homophobic in any way, but i think she was better leaving the book as it was. All these story's she's making after the book are stupid, it's pointless now the book series has ended.

Retroman
21-10-2007, 07:37 PM
I'm not homophobic in any way, but i think she was better leaving the book as it was. All these story's she's making after the book are stupid, it's pointless now the book series has ended.

I think the point is, she has left it as it was.
In her mind, Dumbledore was always gay, maybe even from the moment she wrote the first word for the Philosophers Stone.
She hasn't tampered with the story and changed his sexuality later on.

officialleafan
21-10-2007, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Retroman

I think the point is, she has left it as it was.
In her mind, Dumbledore was always gay, maybe even from the moment she wrote the first word for the Philosophers Stone.
She hasn't tampered with the story and changed his sexuality later on.

I understand what your saying but in my eyes, if it isn't mentioned in the book then it isn't part of the stor. If it was, the situation would of been brought up, but it didn't.

Retroman
21-10-2007, 07:49 PM
The story is anything and everything that comes from J.K Rowlings mind.
If she wrote the entire story and thought of Dumbledore as a gay character, it is her character and is automatically gay for everyone whether we like it or not.

She just thought it best to leave any gay storylines out of the books, which is a wise choice when dealing with children as fans. It'd be strange to write anything else in to confirm his sexuality, eg. "Hey Harry, im gay" just wouldn't work.

Apparently it shows the relationship and thoughts behind Dumbledore's liking for Gellert Grindelwald, so it does play a small part in the story and a major part in Dumbledore's character.

officialleafan
21-10-2007, 07:51 PM
If she wrote the entire story and thought of Dumbledore as a gay character, it is her character and is automatically gay for everyone whether we like it or not.

She just thought it best to leave any gay storylines out of the books, which is a wise choice when dealing with children as fans. It'd be strange to write anything else in to confirm his sexuality, eg. "Hey Harry, Im gay" just wouldn't work.

Apparently it shows the relationship and thoughts behind Dumbledore's liking for Gellert Grindelwald, so it does play a small part in the story and a major part in Dumbledore's character.

I do agree, this is why i alse think it may be just a rumour. Would she really risk the book being spoiled for younger children? I don't think she would risk it myself. It may just be another rumour!

Matt
21-10-2007, 07:58 PM

She just thought it best to leave any gay storylines out of the books, which is a wise choice when dealing with children as fans. It'd be strange to write anything else in to confirm his sexuality, eg. "Hey Harry, Im gay" just wouldn't work.

I do agree, this is why i alse think it may be just a rumour. Would she really risk the book being spoiled for younger children? I don't think she would risk it myself. It may just be another rumour!

It's not a rumour... JK Rowling said it herself at a public appearance...

Hugo
25-10-2007, 07:33 PM
:laugh2:

DreadPirate
27-10-2007, 01:21 PM
Did she mention the sexuality of all the other characters? and where are the scenes of him being gay? Dont you have to do gay stuff to be gay? I dont get this.

Kate..
04-11-2007, 12:50 PM
WOW! i never really would have thought about his sexuality lol it just didn't come into my mind

Retroman
12-11-2007, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by DreadPirate
Did she mention the sexuality of all the other characters? and where are the scenes of him being gay? Dont you have to do gay stuff to be gay? I dont get this.

Lots of people didn't do any "straight" stuff in the films, yet you assume they're straight none the less...

So the same applies to gay people, they don't need to have sexual relations with anyone on screen to be gay.

Just as people don't have to have sexual relations on screen to be straight.

Anyhow...he's too old to be having any homosexual relations with anybody, that and the fact he has a major school of magic to run and the threat of evil to think about.

Harry only finds the time to be kissing girls because his raging teenage hormones tell him to do so lol. That and the fact fans want to know about Harry's love life over anyone elses.

Stu
12-11-2007, 04:19 PM
You can read?

Conor
12-11-2007, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by SumminAboutKate
WOW! i never really would have thought about his sexuality lol it just didn't come into my mind

Its not really something that would come to my mind either tbh. :conf2:

Retroman
12-11-2007, 04:27 PM
Its not really something that would come to my mind either tbh. :conf2:

I think almost all of the material in the books wouldn't just "come" into someone's mind...besides JK Rowlings of course.

Harry Potter is the very definition of situations that wouldn't normally come into someone's mind, but they all still happen.