PDA

View Full Version : Cold call for Big Brother hopefuls

Amy
03-03-2004, 08:34 PM
It takes more than a serious chill in the air to deter the even-more-serious celebrity wannabe from queuing for a place in the king of reality TV shows.
Big Brother will hit British screens for the fifth time this summer and for the first time, the producers are coming directly to the people who want to be its stars.

The Cardiff leg of the UK-wide auditions had already attracted more than a few people happy to be outrageous in their quest to get on television - and that was just by 1000 GMT.

One man came sporting a bare bottom with an eye - the trademark Big Brother symbol - painted on each cheek.

"It certainly caught my attention," Shirley Jones, BB's executive producer laughed.

"Cardiff has come out in force so far."

There is no guarantee that any of the Welsh hopefuls will make it through to the final 10.

Ms Jones said only those with the biggest personalities would be successful, regardless of where they came from.

"You've got to have something about you to make you stand out from the crowd.

BB contenders in groups of 10 try to get through to the next stage
"At this stage we don't know anybody's background or lifestyle. You've got to come here and impress us," she explained.

Programme chiefs decided to ditch initial selection by video tape after worrying they would miss out on a broader selection of contestants, and that tapes were not always giving an accurate reflection of personality.

Loads more of this article here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/3529741.stm)

Kaz
03-03-2004, 11:21 PM
Thanks, Amy.
One man came sporting a bare bottom with an eye - the trademark Big Brother symbol - painted on each cheek.

"It certainly caught my attention," Shirley Jones, BB's executive producer laughed.
Oh, good grief! :shocked: PLEASE don't let this imbecile appear in BB5!!! :shocked: :spin2:

BusyBee
04-03-2004, 12:50 PM
Ms Jones said only those with the biggest personalities would be successful, regardless of where they came from.

And this is a euphenism for? Please dont let that mean that we are going to get a houseful of people who are the wannabees from hell .

Janette
04-03-2004, 08:48 PM
In BB2 (the best so far), we had Dean and Elizabeth. Neither had "big personalities", but they were an integral part of the show!

We don't want a house full of Jades, I'm sorry!!!!!!

James
04-03-2004, 08:55 PM
I suggest they go back to basics for BB5 and mean it this time unlike BB4 where they had a gimmick every week.

10 (not 12) housemates at the start, 1 is evicted every week. And no late entrants - it doesn't work.

If the show is a flop so be it.

BusyBee
05-03-2004, 12:10 PM
I've got nothing against having 12 housemates, but I do hope they dont bring in latecomers. It just doesnt work.

In BB1 there was Claire who who quickly got rid of.

BB2 had Josh - who admits coming in late had a huge effect on how he behaved and how the others behaved to him.

BB3 - Tim and Sophie - what more can I say.

BB4 - I must say I liked the introduction of Guy, but he was a visitor. Lisa (who I hated) never stood a chance from the start. Also didnt think the reintroduction of Jon worked.

BB5 ? Well we have yet to see - fingers crossed.

James
06-03-2004, 09:39 AM
I think the problem with 12 housemates is that it usually means that they evict someone after only one week.

Two weeks gives the viewers more time to see what the HMs are really like.

Amy
06-03-2004, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by James
I think the problem with 12 housemates is that it usually means that they evict someone after only one week.

Two weeks gives the viewers more time to see what the HMs are really like.

Very true James, seems cruel sometimes as people don't get a full chance to shine!

Originally posted by BusyBee
BB5 ? Well we have yet to see - fingers crossed.
I really Hope it's better this year!

Sticks
06-03-2004, 12:07 PM
A really good twist would be to cancel BB5 before it starts :shocked::hugesmile:

It is a tired format

It has been ruined by incompetance and cynical attempts to influence the outcome.

Give it a rest - Please

Amy
06-03-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Sticks
A really good twist would be to cancel BB5 before it starts :shocked::hugesmile:

It is a tired format

It has been ruined by incompetance and cynical attempts to influence the outcome.

Give it a rest - Please

But then there would be no point to this site Sticks :bawling: BB goes then surley we'd have less and less to talk about :bawling::bawling:

BusyBee
06-03-2004, 02:28 PM
I live in hope that this year is going to be something special that will really get us all 'discussing' like mad.

However I think it is make or break this year.

James
15-03-2004, 10:35 PM
If all the shows that I thought were tired formats were cancelled that would wipe out 90% of all TV shows.

Big Brother is still worth seeing because it is (one of) the original reality TV shows.

Anyway, here is another short press mention about a 'hopeful'

Big blow for Charlotte ex

CHARLOTTE Church?s ex has lost his chance of getting on TV?s Big Brother ? because he is due in court.

Steven Johnson, 19, wanted to appear on the Channel 4 show in a bid to launch a TV career.

But Johnson ? dumped by Charlotte, 18, last year ? has been charged with possessing a kung-fu weapon in Barry, South Wales.

He denies the charge but appearing in court rules him out of the show.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2004121055,00.html

BusyBee
16-03-2004, 02:01 PM
Another wannabee - though probably most of what he would have had to say would have been 'silenced'