PDA

View Full Version : BBFC try to secure Manhunt 2 ban

Red Moon
18-12-2007, 01:21 PM
BBFC try to secure Manhunt 2 banThe British Board of Film Classification is seeking a judicial review in the latest move in this long-running saga over the controversial computer game, writes Claudine Beaumont

The British Board of Film Classification will seek a judicial review of a decision to overturn its ban on controversial video game Manhunt 2.

Just last week, the Video Appeals Committee ruled that the BBFC's decision not to award Manhunt 2 an age rating, and therefore a UK release, was not justified.

The Committee's recommendation effectively meant that the game could be sold in the UK with an 18+ age certificate, unless the BBFC mounted a further legal protest.

David Cooke, director of the BBFC, said that Manhunt 2 featured "unremitting bleakness and callousness of tone", and singled out its "casual sadism" and focus on "brutal slaying" for the ban, arguing that it "constantly encourages visceral killing".

The BBFC has claimed that the Video Appeals Committee's recent judgement is "based on an approach to harm which is an incorrect interpretation of the Video Recordings Act".

"The Video Appeals Committee judgement, if allowed to stand, would have fundamental implications with regard to all the Board's decisions, including those turning upon questions of unacceptable levels of violence," said the BBFC in a statement.

"If the VAC's decision is suspended, then the game will not be classified before the outcome of the judicial review."

It marks another twist in the long-running saga of Manhunt 2. It was first refused a UK release certificate by the BBFC in June, and then again after an appeal.

A censored, edited version of the game went on sale in the US in October, with an M rating for mature audiences. Rockstar Games, the maker of Manhunt 2, was not immediately available for comment.
Source: Daily Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml?xml=/connected/2007/12/18/dlmanhunt118.xml)

Tom4784
21-12-2007, 09:19 AM
They are making themselves look stupid, the public have already said that it is no worser then Hostel or saw on a poll so why are they trying to control what we want? Is this country a democracy or a dictatorship or what?

It's 18 plus so if any children play it and turn out to be a psycho then a blame the parents for buying it them. Simple as, They should let the adult population play what they want. It annoys me it seems that the government wants to do the parenting instead of the parents themselves.

GiRTh
21-12-2007, 02:38 PM
The saga continues. The game hasn't had such good reviews so I'm not sure what the BBFc are worried about.

Stu
21-12-2007, 02:59 PM
Beyond the controversy , its an amazingly substandard game folks.

GiRTh
21-12-2007, 03:00 PM
I've seen some of the reviews. They're not great. How did you get hold of a copy?

Harry!
21-12-2007, 03:02 PM
I wonder what the reviews of GTA was when it was reiesed!

Stu
22-12-2007, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by GiRTh
I've seen some of the reviews. They're not great. How did you get hold of a copy?
I never did. But I was in the states for a weekend back in November and I played it for a good 6 or 7 hours at a relatives house :wink:.

Its better than Manhunt 1 , id give it that , but thats still not saying much.

Scarlett.
22-12-2007, 07:07 PM
Why are they banning it, its just weird...