PDA

View Full Version : Rugby star's on-screen passion

Amy
31-03-2004, 01:13 PM
NEWPORT Gwent Dragons rugby star Shawn Van Rensburg has got a thing about making it onto the big screen.

He's down to the last 200 for Channel 4's Big Brother - and to cap it all, on Friday night he proposed to his girlfriend on the pitch scoreboard!

With thousands of eyes watching, he popped the question at half-time in the Dragons home tie against the Celtic Warriors with a message that flashed up asking: "Sharyn...will you marry me? Shawn xxxx."

It was a spur-of-the-moment decision by the flamboyant South African, who was looking for a fitting way to propose to his girlfriend of just over two years.

Shawn, 28, who was not playing on Friday, said: "I didn't know whether to do it in a restaurant, but I just wanted to be different."

But he revealed he wasn't sure if she would say yes.

"I waited for ages for her to come down to the pitch.

"I thought she'd done a runner!" he said.

Still reeling, Sharyn, 29, said: "I am still getting over the surprise. I knew I had to say yes after all that - the crowd would have booed me!

"I couldn't see where he was for ages.

"Although we have been together for two years, I had no idea he was going to do it."

Story here (http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0800tvandradio/0500tvtalk/tm_objectid=14098222&method=full&siteid=50082&headline=rugby-star-s-on-screen-passion-name_page.html)