PDA

View Full Version : Britains clueless about history - survey

James
02-05-2004, 10:47 PM
I saw this on the jtforum. I thought some of the findings were quite funny.

CLUELESS ABOUT HISTORY

Britain is a nation of history dunces with many even believing Adolf Hitler never existed, according to a new survey.

A quarter of those interviewed were not sure if the Battle of Trafalgar was a real historic event, while one in seven did not know the Battle of Hastings really took place.

Researchers found that many of the 2,069 adults questioned could not tell fact from fiction.

More than one in 20 thought the sci-fi classic War of the Worlds, in which Earth is invaded by Martians, was a historical event.

Some even believed the Battle of Helm's Deep from the Lord of the Rings trilogy and the Battle of Endor from Return of the Jedi actually took place.

Almost half of those asked thought William Wallace never existed and more than half believed King Arthur was real.

A quarter thought Robin Hood was a genuine historical figure, while one in 20 thought Conan the Barbarian was real.

Some of the respondents confused popular television series with fact, with some believing Edmond Blackadder and Zena Warrior Princess had existed.

The survey of adults aged 16 and over was commissioned to coincide with the 300th anniversary of the Battle of Blenheim on August 13.

Yet the results showed that, despite being one of the greatest victories in British military history, nearly three quarters of the population had never heard of the battle.

John Hoy, chief executive of Blenheim Palace, said: "We set out to establish where the Battle of Blenheim stood in the nation's consciousness and were amazed to find out that so few people had even heard of the battle.

"We're determined to do all we can to change this.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-13047091,00.html

Sticks
03-05-2004, 05:55 AM
For reference - The Battle of Blenhiem (http://www.blenheimpalace.com/Palace_History.htm)

I have to admit I had to look that one up :blush:

But just that one

peachy
03-05-2004, 06:43 PM
As some of you know I teach History and the findings do not surprise me. A colleague of mine swears that he had a university student STUDYING HISTORY, who put their hand up at the end of his lecture on the Second World War to say that they were confused. On further enquiry the student said 'Oh do you mean there were TWO World Wars then'.

Frightening isn't it?:bored:

Sticks
03-05-2004, 09:14 PM
Well some considered that WWII was just a resumption of unfinished business from WWI

The only way to really get afeel for history is to do primary research. This was something I did in 1996 when I research a previous planting of our church (Click on this link to see the results) (http://www.newcastlecoc.fsnet.co.uk/pages/history.htm)

BusyBee
04-05-2004, 12:59 PM
Not at all surprised. Its not so long ago that we were talking about Churchill in work - cant think why but we were - and two of our juniors looked up and said What did she do! Had no idea at all. When my son was at senior school he did something called Humanities which was a hotch potch of history, geography and sociology. Means he had no idea of what had happened in the past.

Its such a shame because I had a fantastic history teacher when I was at school (so long ago) and he brought the subject to life acting out various events and really getting us interested.

AndyJK
04-05-2004, 02:52 PM
I dread to think what the findings would be for those under the age of 16! I am sceptical of this survey and its authenticity when those questioned actually believe the Battle Of Endor in Star Wars: Return Of The Jedi and Earth was invaded by Matians are historical events. It sounds like the 2,000 people questioned in this survey are either life-long inmates of a secure mental institution or watch a hellava lot of the Sci-Fi channel!

Not knowing the history surrounding Blenheim is perfectly understandable (even I had to research it in the link provided and my knowledge on history is pretty good overall).

Amy
04-05-2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by BusyBee
Its such a shame because I had a fantastic history teacher when I was at school (so long ago) and he brought the subject to life acting out various events and really getting us interested.

We had Humanities at school, it wasn't great on the history front! However, I also did History as a GCSE but I found the teacher who taught us very boring to listen to and, to be honest wasn't that bothered about the lesson at all :blush: If I was back at school now I'd retake my history as I find it much more interesting a subject now! So, I'm also not surprised that people don't know much about our past.

BigSister
04-05-2004, 03:31 PM
I passed History at GCSE:hugesmile:

BusyBee
05-05-2004, 03:36 PM
I passed History at GCSE

Well done that girl!!!!!