PDA

View Full Version : Pick me, pick me!

Amy
08-05-2004, 07:33 AM
This is taken from The Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/story/0,3605,1211972,00.html)

How hard can it be to get into the Big Brother house? A roll call of everyone who's been in it wouldn't exactly shock and awe. The greatest talents it has unearthed are Brian Dowling, the hysteric who won the second series and now works in children's television, and Kate Lawler, the anodyne blonde who won Big Brother 3, then became another bit of fluff on breakfast television. No contestant ever tells the truth about why they went on the show; they all say they did it for "the experience". None will admit that they sacrificed a chunk of their lives - away from their loved ones, and confined with a bunch of nobodies - just to be on TV.
But my lust for fame was brazen and shameless. I wanted to be on the cover of Heat; I wanted to mingle at the Inside Soap Awards, making pals with Shane Richie; I wanted a daytime telly gig - maybe as a roving reporter for Des and Mel.

So I went to the auditions for Big Brother 5 burning with desire and confidence. I was just the desperate, needy contestant they wanted. Once inside the house, I'd do anything to stay there: I'd mince and pout like Alex; I'd fake a subnormal intelligence like Helen's; I'd fumble under the duvet with anyone who was up for it.

The hip and with-it execs at Endemol UK (the TV production company that makes Big Brother) like to keep their boxes ticked; they'd want someone Asian on the show - hopefully it would be me. Most Asians won't waste 12 weeks on a long shot that pays the winner only 70 grand; far better to invest that time learning dentistry, then earn twice that each year. That's why only three have been on the show so far. The most notable were Narinder, the screeching fag hag who clung to Brian during Big Brother 2, and Gos, the cuddly comfort-eater who cried his way through the last series. There was also Sunita, a trainee barrister who, realising she had a life and ought to get back to it, walked out of Big Brother 3 after a few days. They haven't had many like me throwing their hat in the ring. I'm a sweetlooking smartmouth, straight outta Southall: I was going to rock their world. I'd keep it so damn real, the public wouldn't know what had hit them: I'd have the household bhangra-dancing till dawn; I'd show them how to binge-drink Punjabi-style. How could I not get in?

to read the full article click The Guardian link above

:wavey:

Thunderor
08-05-2004, 09:49 AM
That is an excellent article. Amusing and interesting.

Romantic Old Bird
08-05-2004, 01:22 PM
It is an amusing article, but I think a little unkind about our Helen. She isn't 'subnormal' at all, bless her. She is (or was, and I don't think she will have changed) niave, incredulous, completely unpretentious and open. She is relatively uneducated and due to her severe dyslexia she is not well read. However, she has a lot of common sense. Believe me, her level of effervesence and positivity are rarely found in people with low intellect.

There then, I feel better for that!

All so scathing now, aren't they, but they all will watch it, even if only to convince themselves that -yes- it is still crap.

Then before they know where they are, they will spend their first full half hour watching someone sleeping or peeling vegetables.

They will be unable to stop themselves from joining in an office conversation as to who is the biggest 'w****r' of the group, and who is playing off one against the other.

As the first eviction comes along, they will sit with baited breath to see who bites the dust.

Weeks later, they will mutter over the closing credits as the fireworks fade into the Borehamwood skyline that the format has completely passed it's sell by date and should be abandoned.

Then, for the next couple of weeks they will wonder why on earth they feel as if they have mislaid something, and can't quite put their finger on what it is.

Such is fate of even the most sceptical and cynical viewer. If they have ever been sufficiently moved to put finger to keyboard about the Big Brother phenomenom, then they will always have that kernel of curiousity
which draws them back, just for that one quick look.......................

Amy
08-05-2004, 01:48 PM
ROB how true those words you wrote are!!

Then, for the next couple of weeks they will wonder why on earth they feel as if they have mislaid something, and can't quite put their finger on what it is
That's me every year, only I know what I'm missing!